• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... The Avengers is going to have it's run, nothing will stop it. BvS is going to have its run, nothing will stop it.

Whether the campaign starts now, or a few weeks after Avengers when the bandwagon is done rolling, neither movie will affect the other. Warner can play it either way.

Yeah people playing this weird Marvel vs DC thing with the movie universes like it's Sony vs MS or Apple vs Android when unlike those, it's not an either/or thing. Your price of entry is a $12 movie ticket. It's not like Warner has to convince people to see BvS instead of Avengers 2. If anything, Avengers 2 being a huge hit might actually be good for BvS if it keeps the general public hot on superhero movies.

ninjabat

I think they should release the teaser during comic con. No need to release it now. Batman and Superman don't need much marketing. WB should keep the marketing budget small.

Couldn't WB get the trailer in front of Ultron?

Might cost them a pretty penny, but that level of movie and exposure doesn't come along very often.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I think they should release the teaser during comic con. No need to release it now. Batman and Superman don't need much marketing. WB should keep the marketing budget small.
When has DC released a trailer for the public during coming con in the past few years?
What they usually do is comic con exclusives. And then no teaser for the public until a few months after. Comic con doesn't really do much for the public in terms of what we get to see.

They should release it with the avengers.
Or just release it on a random day between now and then because its batman vs Superman.

When has DC released a trailer for the public during coming con in the past few years?
What they usually do is comic con exclusives. And then no teaser for the public until a few months after. Comic con doesn't really do much for the public in terms of what we get to see.

They should release it with the avengers.
Or just release it on a random day between now and then because its batman vs Superman.
They released the Mad Max comic con trailer tho

pulga

Banned
Yeah people playing this weird Marvel vs DC thing with the movie universes like it's Sony vs MS or Apple vs Android when unlike those, it's not an either/or thing. Your price of entry is a $12 movie ticket. It's not like Warner has to convince people to see BvS instead of Avengers 2. If anything, Avengers 2 being a huge hit might actually be good for BvS if it keeps the general public hot on superhero movies.

This. Such a strange stance. The general public doesn't give two flying fucks about the petty and childish Marvel vs DC mentality perpetrated by nerds world over.

Marvel

could never
Truth. My SO for example thought batman was part of Marvel.

AepTXS1.gif

Disgusting.

Yeah I don't think non fans give a shit. Comparable to someone walking in the store trying to buy Mario for their kid's Playstation.

I think we'll get a minute teaser, either this month or next month. Another trailer later this year in summer, then they'll start their marketing campaign early next year after Star Wars is over.

Dave_6

The Avengers had TDKR final trailer in front of it so I don't see why AoU couldn't have a trailer for this before it.

Penguin

Most people don't care

I've been on trains where kids/teens will discuss wanting to see all these characters appear in a movie together with no care of who is Marvel or who is DC.

To most, they are just superheroes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
if you guys don't know, DC finally gave Supes a new power- his first new power in ages-
called Super Flare, it's a nuclear explosion... DBZ style attack
yeah it's crazy overpowered attack (even by Supes standards) but I really want to see it on film, hope Zack and his writers let Supes use it as a final attack in JL p2 or something.

Ashhong

This honestly doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like a teaser/trailer of BvS is going to do anything to Avengers. It's Batman and Superman. It's going to get attention no matter when they release it. Even if it's a month or two after Avengers, or a month before. It doesn't really matter.

I was saying I think it would be the other way around. DC needs all the hype it can get. Sure it's going to still get attention, but I think it would be less. Unless they attached it to avengers. That would be different.

I'm not talking about some bs fanboy crap. I'm talking purely about general public awareness.

duckroll

I was saying I think it would be the other way around. DC needs all the hype it can get. Sure it's going to still get attention, but I think it would be less. Unless they attached it to avengers. That would be different.

I'm not talking about some bs fanboy crap. I'm talking purely about general public awareness.

You realize the movie is over a year away right? It -really- doesn't matter. The only people who care about a tease this early are fanboys. The real marketing is not going to matter until the end of this year, and by then Avengers will be long gone.

Penguin

You realize the movie is over a year away right? It -really- doesn't matter. The only people who care about a tease this early are fanboys. The real marketing is not going to matter until the end of this year, and by then Avengers will be long gone.

Get out of here with your logic! :p

also, going back to comic suggestions was reminded of Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive. Enjoyed that read as well.

Loxley

This idea that a movie with the two oldest, biggest and most recognizable super heroes on the planet somehow needs to piggyback off of the Avengers release in order to successfully build hype is a bit silly. Especially when the film is still a year away.

They released the Mad Max comic con trailer tho

They also cannibalized basically every shot from the Man of Steel comic-con trailer and parted it out into three different trailers, the third of which was considered by more than a few to be more emotionally resonant than the movie itself.

Theaters aren't even the primary means by which people even WATCH trailers anymore. The constant speculation of which movie what ad will be attached to is basically reflex at this point - it doesn't really matter what movie it's attached to. It matters what DATE that movie will be released, because that means said trailer is going to be an internet event the preceding Tuesday or Wednesday.

THe general public doesn't care about a movie that's a year+ from release. Whether a teaser to make them "more aware" comes before or after Avengers 2, which is still like 9 months before BvS, seems largely irrelevant. A2 will come and go and whenever WB decides to drop a teaser, then a full trailer, it will break the internet and garner tons of mainstream attention. That is going to happen no matter what happens with Avengers 2. Whether i makes $1 billion or $5 billion at the box office. Doesn't really matter. You are playing way to much into this idea that the movies are competing with each other when they are launching 9 months apart.

a916

This idea that a movie with the two oldest, biggest and most recognizable super heroes on the planet somehow needs to piggyback off of the Avengers release in order to successfully build hype is a bit silly. Especially when the film is still a year away.

At this point, it's for the fans. The real marketing push comes like 6 months out.

And damnit, the fans want it!

Penguin

At this point, it's for the fans. The real marketing push comes like 6 months out.

And damnit, the fans want it!

I wish people would just say that

I don't care about them starting a hype-cycle or anything, I just wanna see new stuff from the movie!

Could even be stills or group shots or something!

This. It's Batman and Superman in one high-budget blockbuster. It builds its own hype machine. This far out, anything WB puts out would be strictly for the hardcore fans... which means it'll probably be at Comicon.

DaveH

This far out, anything WB puts out would be strictly for the hardcore fans...
I agree, and it's not like the hardcore fans are monolithic sources of adoration either.

Probably 7/10ths of the Force Awakens' extended newscycle was "#crossguardgate" nonsense, which doesn't necessarily do the film any favors. To be clear, I'm not saying anything about the validity of such discussion, I'm saying, I doubt Disney was hoping for most of the discussion about the teaser to be nerdwars over the efficacy of something in 10 frames of the teaser.

Instead, it kinda just paints the hardcore as petty and something to be mocked rather than eagerly joined (see: Colbert addressing it).

You show that to a general audience, they probably don't get as hyped as the hardcore, but they also aren't as so pedantically critical about every little thing... they just generally come away with positive feelings.

Showing stuff super early can garner the endorsement of hardcore fans, which can sway some casuals... but it can also spawn unnecessary pre-judgment and bile from hardcore people who take things too seriously, which can poison some casuals. Early is far from a good or certain gamble.

The main justification, I can imagine, for showing stuff early is to inoculate the audience with stuff so that they get used to it, have that discussion and get it out of their system, before heading into the thing itself. The vast majority of people who watch MOS after seeing all the controversy, don't find it nearly as controversial as the discussion seemed to imply... of course, giving up surprise isn't something most filmmakers want to do.

...which means it'll probably be at Comicon.

That's probably a solid move to the extent that fandom is monolithic, reports out of "Hall H" strongly tend towards the positive. I don't think it's anything so sinister as Stockholm Syndrome, but there's justifiably a certain amount of cognitive dissonance that's going to drive excitement in the Hall... you've paid to be there, you're waited hours upon hours to be there, your expectation is through the roof, you feed off the energy of everyone else there... so you're going to be excited about what you're shown, otherwise all of that was for naught.

If the WB wants to control a consistent positive buzz about BvS, ComiCon is a good place to do it.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I doubt they will. Most of the footage shown at Comic-Con isn't released publicly. Even the teaser from last year still hasn't been.

Really hoping we at least get a full trailer from comic con and Shazam/GL/Villain casting. Out of all the casting I think Shazam is going to the hardest to do.

Shazam will be John Cena and the movie will just be 2 hours of The Rock vs Cena
CENA WINS AGAIN LOL

Honestly would not mind :p

They can't really announce a young Billy because he might look different in a few years. Wonder if they'll just do what they did in cap 1 and paste his head on a small body. Really depends on how much they want to show Shazam or Billy.

Honestly would not mind :p

They can't really announce a young Billy because he might look different in a few years. Wonder if they'll just do what they did in cap 1 and paste his head on a small body. Really depends on how much they want to show Shazam or Billy.
They didn't paste Evans head onto a small body. It was Evans in every scene. They digitally shrunk his body same way Magazine editors will photoshop a models body to be skinnier. On set Evan's clothes would have a mark on his chest for the other actors to look at to represent Skinny Steve's eye height.

Billy will be the absolutely last person cast in Shazam

Ashhong

Eh...not what I was saying. But I'll drop it

Sambrez_

After seeing Fury, i'm sure he'll create a nice group of characters and solid action scenes. I just hope the story will be good enough.

Alienous

Short of killing him or doing Kingdom Come, I wonder if there's a way to get the beard back just temporarily...

I'm liking how Future's End is getting him a beard.
Batman made Superman do some shit he regrets, and Superman retires as a hero, deciding to help people through super-farming rather than super-heroing, although eventually returning to the latter
I'd love for the DC Universe to survive long enough to justify something like that.

Basically beard Superman = depressed Superman.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Short of killing him or doing Kingdom Come, I wonder if there's a way to get the beard back just temporarily...

Never got the obsession about killing Superman (people want Doomsaday/Death of Superman story) or want him with a beard and his super sad/end of the world stories (Kingdom Come/ Red Son).

I want more Superman I don't want him dead or old, I want bright and optimistic Superman who gave us hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom