• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperial

If they're going for "real" Harley, then Arkham Knight design would be the best one to go with imo:

Ghgfoqq.png

Something along the lines of this would be perfect. Harley even looks like Margot Robbie there. The BTAS costume would not translate well into live-action.

Loxley

Holy fuck at the Gadot thread. I don't even.

I guess some people like to think they are know-it-all.

Wonder Woman threads are more or less going to suck for a while. They always devolve into people posting pictures of Gina Curano, Jaimie Alexander or some random gymnasts to show off how Wonder Woman "should" look. Nevermimd the fact that she's a fictional character who has been drawn with a variety of skinny-to-muscular body frames over the last 70 years.

Curious that you don't see nearly this much nit-picking over a male actor's body when they're playing a superhero. People tend to focus more on whether or not they can actually, y'know, act.

Curious that you don't see nearly this much nit-picking over a male actor's body when they're playing a superhero. People tend to focus more on whether or not they can actually, y'know, act.

Obligatory Rob Liefield Captain America picture

Yeah super hero/villains aren't that hard to act. I think it's mostly the director's job to nail the portrayal and motivation. Just have to look good and put on a smile. Unless you've got someone who sets a precedent like Heath Ledger, then you gotta up your game.

jett

D-Member
Wonder Woman threads are more or less going to suck for a while. They always devolve into people posting pictures of Gina Curano, Jaimie Alexander or some random gymnasts to show off how Wonder Woman "should" look. Nevermimd the fact that she's a fictional character who has been drawn with a variety of skinny-to-muscular body frames over the last 70 years.

What is there to nitpick? Everyone bulks up. And a decent portion of posts in MoS threads pre-release were about how amazing Cavill looks. :lol

Loxley

What is there to nitpick? Everyone bulks up. And a decent portion of posts in MoS threads pre-release were about how amazing Cavill looks. :lol

I mean, that stuff is inevitable regardless of which superhero or actor is being discussed. With Gadot - I think it's only being exacerbated because of the lack of anything to really judge her portrayal of the character by, aside from that one still image we have. But I'm probably over-thinking it.

I'd actually be surprised if the first trailer we got showed much of her at all. I'd guess that initially they'd just focused on Batman and Superman. Of course I'm sure there's the temptation to pull a Marvel and show off the money shot with the trinity standing in the same frame striking a pose or something. Part of me wants Snyder to avoid that sort of blatant fan-service since it almost always feels forced, but I'll admit it would probably send my hype into overdrive.

I get your point, but to be honest, I don't remember a skinny superhero male actor. They are all at least average. The issue is that WW is a female lead and depicted as an amazon and Gadot is a "petite" woman. There is not a "concern" for my part, but just a preference for characterization. Her acting skills is more important.

Loxley

I get your point, but to be honest, I don't remember a skinny superhero male actor. They are all at least average. The issue is that WW is a female lead and depicted as an amazon and Gadot is a "petite" woman. There is not a "concern" for my part, but just a preference for characterization. Her acting skills is more important.

Oh yeah, I understand. I'm also not saying that all of the concerns or criticisms about her casting are unfounded - she really is a big question mark at this point. I think ultimately it's just the way some people have chosen to word their criticisms that's been bugging me. But like I said, I may be over-thinking it.

Oh yeah, I understand. I'm also not saying that all of the concerns or criticisms about her casting are unfounded - she really is a big question mark at this point. I think ultimately it's just the way some people have chosen to word their criticisms that's been bugging me. But like I said, I may be over-thinking it.
Nah, I agree with you. I like to discuss these things but I'm always cool about it. But some people really gets mad discussing entertainment stuff. The internet is full of people from a diverse background and some might be offended about stuff that is not a big deal for others. Sometimes it's cultural I guess. In my country, for example, criticize or praise someone's body is common and tolerable but I sense that in the US, fat or body shaming is something offensive, at least it's what I see in these threads.

DaveH

Yeah DaveH is being a real jerk
It's a reality check for people high on two great-looking but irrelevant stills blaming the WB for not casting her.

I think she's charming and adorable (I compared her to Tilly), but she isn't Wonder Woman because she doesn't want to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qilFGEhcA

You can hear her hesitation at "more skimpy costumes, more trainers, more broccoli, more time a the gym"... she's incredibly diplomatic about it ("[Laughs] I don't even know how I feel about that..." not exactly chomping at the bit to make it happen), but this isn't just a case of this isn't going to happen... it was never going to happen. Not because of the WB, Synder, or Gadot. Collins had other plans for her life which included getting married, having a kid, and not slaving away in a gym.

ReiGun

Speaking as a Wonder Woman fan, they've always sucked. Gaf in general has no love for the character. lol Only difference now is there's a movie, so we'll get more of them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Now that Jennifer Lawrence is done with Xmen she should join DC.

0059_h9rx.gif

for DC the next big female casting will be Catwoman (and then Batgirl) and I honestly don't see Lawrence as Either one (but that just me)

on a personal note I'd like to see Olivia Thirlby as Zatanna.

Holy fuck at the Gadot thread. I don't even.

I guess some people like to think they are know-it-all.

What annoys me sometime is the focus on posting photos of female bodybuilders and saying that "what should we get". No that is not what Wonder Woman is or is all about, and that will not work for a movie. at least I wish the discussion was about Gal acting ability (we'll see he in a movie from a good director this year so we can judge her soon) or about what Wonder Woman should we get. but Wonder Woman thread now turn to be bodybuilders gallery

It's a reality check for people high on two great-looking but irrelevant stills blaming the WB for not casting her.

I think she's charming and adorable (I compared her to Tilly), but she isn't Wonder Woman because she doesn't want to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qilFGEhcA

You can hear her hesitation at "more skimpy costumes, more trainers, more broccoli, more time a the gym"... she's incredibly diplomatic about it ("[Laughs] I don't even know how I feel about that..." not exactly chomping at the bit to make it happen), but this isn't just a case of this isn't going to happen... it was never going to happen. Not because of the WB, Synder, or Gadot. Collins had other plans for her life which included getting married, having a kid, and not slaving away in a gym.

Collins is kinda old now, DC will want to cast to be in shape for 10 years at least (like Margot Robbie 10 years contract), maybe if this was 10 years ago she could've have been good but not now.

What annoys me sometime is the focus on posting photos of female bodybuilders and saying that "what should we get". No that is not what Wonder Woman is or is all about, and that will not work for a movie. at least I wish the discussion was about Gal acting ability (we'll see he in a movie from a good director this year so we can judge her soon) or about what Wonder Woman should we get. but Wonder Woman thread now turn to be bodybuilders gallery.
I agree with you but the thread was really about her body since the OP brought her interview about this specific issue she had to deal. So the discussion was going to that direction anyway.

In another WW thread or Batman vs. Superman thread I expect people to change the focus.

BadAss2961

Wonder Woman threads are more or less going to suck for a while. They always devolve into people posting pictures of Gina Curano, Jaimie Alexander or some random gymnasts to show off how Wonder Woman "should" look.
Because most people have no imagination and don't know what they want until they get it. It's no surprise that favorites for Wonder Woman include dark-haired women who've played warriors already. Nevermind that Jaimie Alexander is stuck with Marvel, or that Lynn Collins is already 37 years old now.

It won't be until Gal Gadot's in their face playing Wonder Woman that they'll begin to realize it actually works. Yeah, what a surprise that's going to be.

J-Law for Terra.

A titans film would be neato. Hope the pilot for TNT is good.

Honestly there isn't much more I'd like to see from DC in terms of films beyond that. Swamp thing would be cool but apparently he's in Dark Universe. I suppose they could pitch a JSA or JLA B team but DCTV has that on lockdown.

edit: Forgot about Doom Patrol and Legion. They definitely could do films on either of those.

BadAss2961

The last couple X-Men films tell me that JLaw wasn't meant to be a superhero or a supervillain. She's better served as someone's wife/gf/love interest, or some other supporting character.

Vicki Vale is the first thing that pops in my head.

Penguin

Ladies and gentlemen, pop the bubbly.

We're officially a year away from the release! *

*Barring any other changes to the release date!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Maybe Lord Snyder will have mercy and show us something today.

Meanwhile, Tyrese seems to think he's Green Lantern.

a photo for the trinity will be enough for me to wait 6 months (till the WB BvS hype machine start working) even that same short teaser will be fine.

J10

Banned

Honestly there isn't much more I'd like to see from DC in terms of films beyond that. Swamp thing would be cool but apparently he's in Dark Universe. I suppose they could pitch a JSA or JLA B team but DCTV has that on lockdown.

edit: Forgot about Doom Patrol and Legion. They definitely could do films on either of those.

I don't know Terra from Titans, I know her from Power Girl.

No way they're making a Doom Patrol movie. That's just not a thing that can happen.

Legion, sure, as your GOTG equivalent might get a pass, but the Patrol is just too out there, very deliberately so.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think I'm taking off work and pulling my kids out of school when this comes out. So jacked!

Looks like what I expected. I still think he's a very solid choice for the role.

Some Snyder quotes from the article.

“He’s not any of the Lexes that you’ve seen, that’s for sure,” says Snyder, “other than him being a captain of industry and one person to the world and another person to himself. And bald, of course.”

“Our Lex is disarming and he’s not fake,” says Snyder. “He says what he believes and he says what’s on his mind. If you can unravel the string and decipher what he means, it’s all there.”

Loxley

Looks like what I expected. I still think he's a very solid choice for the role.

I liked those early rumors that Lex was going to basically be analogous to a brilliant, maniacal Silicon Valley CEO in BvS. There's a lot to play around with there. In the 80's he went from mad scientist to basically a corrupt corporate Wall Street executive since that's what a lot of the headlines were about throughout that decade. So if you're going to update him for the 2010's, I think it makes plenty of sense to go for an evil Mark Zuckerberg + Elon Musk character.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I liked those early rumors that Lex was going to basically be analogous to a brilliant, maniacal Silicon Valley CEO in BvS. There's a lot to play around with there. In the 80's he went from mad scientist to basically a corrupt corporate Wall Street executive since that's what a lot of the headlines were about throughout that decade. So if you're going to update him for the 2010's, I think it makes plenty of sense to go for an evil Mark Zuckerberg + Elon Musk character.

I hope he isn't Evil.

The best Lex in the comics is the Lex Luthor that hates Superman because he makes humans weaker. He doesn't want to end the world, he wants humanity to control their own destiny and not rely on their alien protector to save the world.

The reason Lex is one of comics greatest villains precisely because he is the opposite of the Joker. He doesn't want the chaos. He wants control, and he wants it for somewhat altruistic reasons.. but he is a very ends justify the means kind of guy, which is his failing that makes him a villain.

The current Justice League run where Luthor is in charge of the league is fantastic because he really kind of isn't a villain, he just isn't a hero either.

Loxley

I hope he isn't Evil.

The best Lex in the comics is the Lex Luthor that hates Superman because he makes humans weaker. He doesn't want to end the world, he wants humanity to control their own destiny and not rely on their alien protector to save the world.

The reason Lex is one of comics greatest villains precisely because he is the opposite of the Joker. He doesn't want the chaos. He wants control, and he wants it for somewhat altruistic reasons.. but he is a very ends justify the means kind of guy, which is his failing that makes him a villain.

The current Justice League run where Luthor is in charge of the league is fantastic because he really kind of isn't a villain, he just isn't a hero either.

I guess when I said "evil" I didn't mean it in the traditional comic book definition, just the notion of him being the antagonist to Superman. I agree with your points about his character, Lex isn't a mustache-twirling villain.

His scenes with Bruce Wayne in particular should be pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom