• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

I hope there is a glitzy party scene in the movie where Lex and Bruce meet face to face, possibly for the first time.

Lex Corp vs Wayne Enterprises

Gonna be sweet

I hope he isn't Evil.

The best Lex in the comics is the Lex Luthor that hates Superman because he makes humans weaker. He doesn't want to end the world, he wants humanity to control their own destiny and not rely on their alien protector to save the world.

The reason Lex is one of comics greatest villains precisely because he is the opposite of the Joker. He doesn't want the chaos. He wants control, and he wants it for somewhat altruistic reasons.. but he is a very ends justify the means kind of guy, which is his failing that makes him a villain.

The current Justice League run where Luthor is in charge of the league is fantastic because he really kind of isn't a villain, he just isn't a hero either.

Luthor, at his best, sees himself as the greatest gift to mankind. He essentially is the perfect man in intelligence and sometimes body and takes pleasure in being seen as such.

Whenever Superman comes along, he sees a threat, not just to the public but to his own image. This is where the rivalry and conflict stems from. Lex could do as much good as Superman but he is blinded by his own selfish pride and refuses to let another person be on the same level as himself.

The movie Luthor should reflect this. He should hate Superman publicly only because he himself is envious of him. He should pursue his own goals but not be out to simply take over the world or destroy it. He wants to shape the world into his perfect image and that is a world without Superman.

Geist-

I hope he isn't Evil.

The best Lex in the comics is the Lex Luthor that hates Superman because he makes humans weaker. He doesn't want to end the world, he wants humanity to control their own destiny and not rely on their alien protector to save the world.

The reason Lex is one of comics greatest villains precisely because he is the opposite of the Joker. He doesn't want the chaos. He wants control, and he wants it for somewhat altruistic reasons.. but he is a very ends justify the means kind of guy, which is his failing that makes him a villain.

The current Justice League run where Luthor is in charge of the league is fantastic because he really kind of isn't a villain, he just isn't a hero either.

Ditto, this is the best interpretation of Lex there is.

AItdCik.jpg

Glass

Always thought he had the face for it, but there was never a convincin manip of his bald to truly show it off. But holy hell he looks good.

DaveH

I like many past renditions of Luthor, but Snyder says, "He’s not any of the Lexes that you’ve seen, that’s for sure (other than him being a captain of industry and one person to the world and another person to himself... and bald, of course).”

He says, “Our Lex is disarming and he’s not fake. He says what he believes and he says what’s on his mind. If you can unravel the string and decipher what he means, it’s all there.”

I have no doubt that Snyder has immersed himself in the comics and is well aware of the different portrayals of Luthor across media. However, I wonder if Snyder's comment that he's not any Lex that you've seen refers to all media or just on the screen?

"Captain of industry" isn't anything we didn't know from Man of Steel given everything that bore his logo. However, I wonder what Luthor's personal scientific capacity might be. I don't necessarily need him to be a mad scientist, but I'd like him to be brilliant somehow.

Some of my Luthor Wishlist from 2013, shortly after watching MOS:

I want Lex to be authoritative, together, and brilliant. I don’t want Lex to be so suave, charismatic, and logical that he actually convinces the audience Superman is terrible before Superman’s earned the audience’s trust. But he should be sympathetic to the point that, the audience feels the betrayal when Lex becomes the proper villain. I do not want Lex so sympathetic and logical that the audience is rooting for him to beat Supes!

IF Lex has person vendetta against Superman, I do not want that vendetta to be all consuming… I want Lex to be a fully formed character with separate ambitions and machinations. He didn’t build his fortune all his life because he was shiftless and waiting for an alien to hate… he has his own goals.

Penguin

Not much of a scoop or rumor but some... background or why Supes/Bats throw down

In Batman v Superman Superman is no lackey of the government; if anything many of the world's governments distrust the guy. But it is Superman who goes to Gotham and starts the confrontation... at the behest of Lex Luthor. And unlike The Dark Knight Returns, Superman comes out swinging, pulverizing the Batmobile with one punch. Why would Superman do Lex Luthor's bidding? What is Lex hoping to accomplish?

Not much of a scoop or rumor but some... background or why Supes/Bats throw down

In Batman v Superman Superman is no lackey of the government; if anything many of the world's governments distrust the guy. But it is Superman who goes to Gotham and starts the confrontation... at the behest of Lex Luthor. And unlike The Dark Knight Returns, Superman comes out swinging, pulverizing the Batmobile with one punch. Why would Superman do Lex Luthor's bidding? What is Lex hoping to accomplish?

Iiiiinteresting. Definitely a different direction than I expected them to take the
Bruce/Clark/Lex
dynamic.

This is from the EW article?

BLACKLAC

There better be some kind of mind control in there if that's true.

That's always been the logical approach. Why would Superman, or the general public, think Luthor is "bad" and Batman is "good"?

It has to go down that way. Them figuring it out is what's gonna result in them teaming up.

Once they do whatever is required of them to take out Lex, they'll realize that Lex fucked up really bad and that there's a bigger threat en route, which will result in them having to form the League.

Why would they think Batman is "Bad"? He's a vet in this universe, Been in the game decades saving lives.
If rumors are anything to go by, Batman is universally hated by criminals and government.

Any ways, Lex has to be a mastermind in this. It's the only way he can be a threat. I mean, dude is gonna be so good, that he's controlling all the players.

And what about the people?
Who knows. We sure as hell don't.

It's so awesome to think about though. This movie is gonna have the universe running at full speed right off the bat. Everyone is gonna have a full blown history already.

Argh, I'm gonna wait h that trailer a trillion times.

And what about the people?

IIRC, the people barely knows Batman exists. Most think he's an urban legend. Shouldn't be at all difficult for
Lex to manipulate Supes into going after him.

Here's how I see it going:

Far from taking up an anti-Superman public stance, Lex takes him under his wing, proving to be his greatest advocate. He does this, naturally, to put Superman under his influence, but he talks a good game. So when his benefactor implores him to go after a dangerous vigilante like Batman, why wouldn't Supes comply?

God damn, that's some good stuff.

His eyes continue to skeeve me out, in a good way.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Maybe some
colored kryptonite? Or did Snyder say there will not be any kryptonite yet?

I hope Zack never use kryptonite.

Two things I don't ever want to see in this universe are kryptonite and Lex's Warsuit.

we already have Superman big weakness (Kryptonian atmosphere) and Lex or Batman can take advantage of that in a smart way if they want to beat Supes (like create an mini world engine that just change the atmosphere and fool Supes to fight in that area) at least that will be putting effort into it. I just don't want a stupid green rock to make the galaxy most powerful alien useless.and Lex's Warsuit for me is just everything that is not Lex. he is not supposed to fight. seriously I hope WB never put any of these in this universe

I hope Zack never use kryptonite.

Two things I don't ever want to see in this universe are kryptonite and Lex's Warsuit.

we already have Superman big weakness (Kryptonian atmosphere) and Lex or Batman can take advantage of that in a smart way if they want to beat Supes (like create an mini world engine that just change the atmosphere and fool Supes to fight in that area) at least that will be putting effort into it. I just don't want a stupid green rock to make the galaxy most powerful alien useless.and Lex's Warsuit for me is just everything that is not Lex. he is not supposed to fight. seriously I hope WB never put any of these in this universe

Whether an Atmosphere or a Rock it's still a trump card so who cares? And the conceits you describe would be used with either form.

The warsuit doesn't really change my opinion of Lex being predominantly intellectual to me. He's always been about lots of money and tech and high IQ. It would seem weird for Batman to have all the toys and not Lex. Anyway I doubt we'll see him in it until later movies.

ReiGun

Consider the universe Lex lives in. Someone with his money, intellect, personality and resources would absolutely build a battlesuit if they lived in a world where aliens, monsters, and evil gods came to Earth to wreck shit every couple months.

Imperial

Consider the universe Lex lives in. Someone with his money, intellect, personality and resources would absolutely build a battlesuit if they lived in a world where aliens, monsters, and evil gods came to Earth to wreck shit every couple months.

Yup, someone like Lex Luthor would absolutely have some kind of contingency plan

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just wanted to ask, what do you guys think about Wonder Woman not able to fly in Batman V Superman (since the Gadot thread from some days ago was just about bodybuilders photos then we got Lex photo so no one was talking about this)

in the New 52 she wasn't able to fly till Hermes throw a feather at her leg.

PnMHQU1.png

so do you guys think they are following new 52 WW in this universe and WB keeping that upgrade/getting the feather/ability to fly for WW own movie after BvS? because if that the case then this mean we might actually get n52 WW God-mode as well and that will be epic.

also Batman and Wonder Woman scene in BvS that got Gadot the role, you think WW work for Batman in BvS/she will be with him to fight Supes?

ReiGun

Just wanted to ask, what do you guys think about Wonder Woman not able to fly in Batman V Superman (since the Gadot thread from some days ago was just about bodybuilders photos then we got Lex photo so no one was talking about this)

in the New 52 she wasn't able to fly till Hermes throw a feather at her leg.

PnMHQU1.png

so do you guys think they are following new 52 WW in this universe and WB keeping that upgrade/getting the feather/ability to fly for WW own movie after BvS? because if that the case then this mean we might actually get n52 WW God-mode as well and that will be epic.

also Batman and Wonder Woman scene in BvS that got Gadot the role, you think WW work for Batman in BvS/she will be with him to fight Supes?

Which was odd because I definitely remember scenes of her flying in other books prior. But then, Azz's run may as well been an elseworlds tale for as much as it cared about the rest of continuity. lol

If Diana truly can't fly, it's whatever. Makes it easier to introduce the jet, and I'm sure she'll gain the ability in her own film.

I'd prefer WW to fly because I don't want them to take a grounded approach to JL. I want Hellbat Batman, Supes + WW + GL being able to move the earth. I want to see Diana in space as well. Barry running around the world in a few seconds... etc. If Bats is taking on supes this is how it will have to be. Otherwise supes is going to be massively watered down.

Nothing more disappointing then seeing Thor being taken down by 5 orderlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom