• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

People.

It's 4chan, it's blurry to the point of unrecognizability, it's based on an existing shot.

It's fake.

And because I'm bored:

zAEn7b6.jpg

Definitely one of the lazier fake "leaks" we've seen for BVS.

ryan299

Greg Silverman, an executive at WB talked about the dc slate.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MintyNewsAndReviews/news/?a=121294

Unsuprisingly, one of the first things he was asked about was how DC planned on differentiating their universe from their cross-company rivals at Marvel:

"We have a great strategy for the DC films, which is to take these beloved characters and put them in the hands of master filmmakers and make sure they all coordinate with each other. You'll see the difference when you see Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League and all the things that we are working on."

Silverman then addressed complaints about the Batman v. Superman trailer being "too dark":

"There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. When you're trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part."

He also explained the studio's decision to hire Monster director Patty Jenkins, following Michelle MacLaren's exit from Wonder Woman:

"We had a very intensive process looking at everybody. Patty and Michelle were really the ones who came to the forefront the first go-round, so when things didn't work out with Michelle, we all knew we had someone great who had expressed interest before. She came back and is doing a great job. But it was never about the best female director. She has demonstrated doing amazing work with female characters, such as in Monster."

Penguin

Probably in reaction to the Marvel/Widow stuff or maybe just a general statement, but Warner/DC on Wonder Woman's merch

"Our comprehensive program will include Wonder Woman in the merchandise lines and in standalone products supporting the film," said Karen McTier, executive vice president, WBCP. "We have always had a robust line for Wonder Woman, and her role in this film and future films offers us more opportunities to feature her character and empowering attributes in many creative ways."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...rchandise-to-prominently-feature-wonder-woman

ReiGun

I don't know about "robust," but I like that they're going to ensure Wonder Woman has a place on merch. Hopefully Harley and Katana get the same treatment in SS merch.

I don't know about "robust," but I like that they're going to ensure Wonder Woman has a place on merch. Hopefully Harley and Katana get the same treatment in SS merch.

Hopefully, but they've already said that the merchandising program for SS will be much smaller and more adult-targeted than BvS, so keep your expectations modest.

Is it even a question in Harley's case? I think we all know she's going to get the most merch out of everyone other than maybe Deadshot.

Katana could end up getting pushed aside, tho.

Saw an interesting piece on IGN: Suicide Squad's merch is going to be focused on adult collectors rather than kids.

a916

Is it even a question in Harley's case? I think we all know she's going to get the most merch out of everyone other than maybe Deadshot.

Katana could end up getting pushed aside, tho.

Saw an interesting piece on IGN: Suicide Squad's merch is going to be focused on adult collectors rather than kids.

Joker.

Ah, yeah. True. Probably going to be Harley, then Joker (since I'd lay good odds on the two of them sharing some stuff), then Deadshot, then the rest of the cast. Unless there ends up being a showstealer during production, of course, which could change things.

Ah, yeah. True. Probably going to be Harley, then Joker (since I'd lay good odds on the two of them sharing some stuff), then Deadshot, then the rest of the cast. Unless there ends up being a showstealer during production, of course, which could change things.

Boomerang will be the star.

suicide squad is too edgy for the kids. using that word endearingly in this case btw, really interested in the grimy punk aesthetic they're giving to all the characters. the promo image evoked deadly class more than anything else imo. the joker especially was a big initial shock.

DaveH

Of course, I don't expect Toys 'R Us filled with billboards with containing the word Suicide.

There doesn't have to be a total shut out even if the focus is on adults. Lego Batman 3 included DLC for "The Squad" and JLU always called them "Task Force X"... as long as you use those brands instead of "Suicide Squad" they should be fine for kid consumption.

suicide squad is too edgy for the kids. using that word endearingly in this case btw, really interested in the grimy punk aesthetic they're giving to all the characters. the promo image evoked deadly class more than anything else imo. the joker especially was a big initial shock.

Great comic.

E the Shaggy

Official synopsis for the movie:

Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-synopsis-revealed/

Doomsday?

Penguin

First synopsis for the movie

Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

http://collider.com/batman-vs-super...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

jett

D-Member
Ah yes, another gotta save the whole world comic book movie. How novel.

At least the action scenes will be competently directed in this one.

DaveH

Fearing [1] the actions of a god-like [2] super hero [3] left unchecked [4], Gotham City’s [5] own formidable, forceful [6] vigilante [7] takes on Metropolis’s most revered, [8] modern-day savior, [9] while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. [10] And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, [11] a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before. [12]

First over-analytical thoughts....

1. Batman is fear and cynicism...
  2. I waffle on just how meaningfully powerful MOS Superman is... an incredible physical threat, doubtless, but what does that mean really in a modern world?
  3. Weird that they went with "super hero" instead of "superhero"... both are mutually trademarked by DC and Marvel, but one tracks with "Superman" more closely.
  4. Interesting to see what this means
  5. Why "Gotham City" and not just "Gotham"... just odd little choices all around "v." instead of "vs." etc.
  6. So he's a punch-first guy...
  7. ...that's NOT State sanctioned.
  8. I guess I like that somebody is in his corner, but weird that Metropolis seems cast with consensus on that while the world isn't
  9. See, mixed messages
  10. If the ultimate answer isn't "Both!" this movie messed up
  11. Clear enmity... not just a scuffle or conflict, but WAR
  12. How do you top planetary extinction with Zod? A battle for their soul?

Bottom line, I'm glad to get a new bit to pour over, but I wouldn't take this too seriously. It's put out by marketing with filmmaker mandates on avoiding certain spoilers... so it's basically the slightest glimmer of information.

Shaanyboi

Banned
A very non-committal synopsis. May as well have just said "Batman doesn't like Superman, so they fight. Also there will be bad guys. Rest of the world watches."

Loxley

A very non-committal synopsis. May as well have just said "Batman doesn't like Superman, so they fight. Also there will be bad guys. Rest of the world watches."

Yeah, it's exceedingly vague. I think its safe to assume at this point that the film's final confrontation will be Superman + Batman + Wonder Woman vs....I don't know, maybe Doomsday and Luthor? It's probably Doomsday at the very least.

Or heck, toss in Mr. Mxyzptlk.

DaveH

Gotham and Gotham City are pretty much interchangeable, aren't they?
Yep. So is:

vs or v
superhero or super hero
Metropolis City or Metropolis

I don't think there's necessarily any deep meaning behind each choice. I guess I was fishing for the idea that BvS will license under "Gotham City" to avoid any "Gotham" (TV) licenses.

Tabby

Wow that is really vague. Honestly not sure what I expected to be honest.
This just makes me more excited for sdcc, if anything I'm more excited for sdcc than I am for E3.

It's superman and batman, they aren't going to make the movie about getting little Johnny off drugs.

Pretty much, it meets the quota. I liked Morrison's take on JL where it was a kind of pantheon that took on these huge threats. If this isn't your bag you'll probably find Suicide Squad, Dark Universe, Sandman more your thing.

The synopsis seemingly establishes two things that have been debated, Batman is the one that goes on offense and Superman is seen as hero and is settled in Metropolis.

Tabby

Pretty much, it meets the quota. I liked Morrison's take on JL where it was a kind of pantheon that took on these huge threats. If this isn't your bag you'll probably find Suicide Squad, Dark Universe, Sandman more your thing.

The synopsis seemingly establishes two things that have been debated, Batman is the one that goes on offense and Superman is seen as hero and is settled in Metropolis.
It also confirms that there's a villain. It shouldn't even be a thing but some people were under the impression that the entire movie is just going to be about Batman and Superman.

DaveH

Close ups of Wonder Woman's armor show that it is indeed metallic, with awesome detailing of scratches in its paint, like Captain America's shield... but if that piece is entirely metal does it mean it can't bend or move?

I'm more curious than ever to see this costume in motion.

Loxley

Close ups of Wonder Woman's armor show that it is indeed metallic, with awesome detailing of scratches in its paint, like Captain America's shield... but if that piece is entirely metal does it mean it can't bend or move?

I'm more curious than ever to see this costume in motion.

I think the credit here goes to the costume department for making it look metallic, but I have no doubt it's a flexible material.

inm8num2

I remain fairly optimistic about BvS - can't really think of anything I've seen or read that made me think, "Hm, don't know about that." Everything seems to be going swimmingly.

As long as Terrio delivers on the script, so will Snyder on the film. Don't have to worry at all about visuals or action. The movie needs better pacing and dialogue than its predecessor, among other things.

http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-batmobile-weapons-details/ said:
Single-handedly designed and fabricated in near complete seclusion by The Batman, this infamous pursuit and capture vehicle has earned its reputation as the apex predator on the mean streets of Gotham City. Over powered with an unmatched hybrid of prototype military and civilian performance technologies, this top machine has been estimated to reach speeds of up to 205 MPH. The Batmobile’s imposing defense capabilities, supported by stolen Wayne Industries technologies, have been integrated with the latest in covert military grade armaments, stealth and active protection systems.
Facts:
– Twin .50 caliber retractable machine gun turret
– Fully armored
– Stealth-capable
– Active Protection Systems/Anti-ballistics
– 20 ft. long/12 ft. wide
– 7000 lbs.

If you're one to read too much into things, Bruce must be leaning into super genius territory to have built the car himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom