• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

I gotta admit that's not the best pic of Batman. He does look fat and goofy. But I blame the photoshoot of course.

Thereby I propose a new cycle

Where do we add the "You can't start a universe like this, you need 4 entry standalone movies" or are we saving that for the Justice League cycle?

Ahasverus

Where do we add the "You can't start a universe like this, you need 4 entry standalone movies" or are we saving that for the Justice League cycle?
Got you covered

9PjXFWi.png

Persecution complex.

There is no army of people "out to get" BvS just because. There is obviously a lot of negativity regarding it - some of it admittedly stupid and poorly argued, but that's true of anything on the Internet - which is primarily because WB has only released one polarizing and divisive film in this universe; if Marvel had only released one similarly polarizing and divisive film in the MCU to date, they'd be encountering a similar response from the Interwebs.

Benefit of the doubt has to be earned. It's that simple. If BvS and/or SS win over a certain percentage of the people who were down on MoS - or possibly even if WB's big SDCC panel is really that impressive - you'll see sentiment towards the DCCU change significantly.

3N16MA

Banned
The hate in the EW thread is just too way over the top. the shitting on DC and BvS went into an amazing ridiculous level (The cycle is also strong there), some people even saying that the new Batsuit is crap now and that TDKR Nolan suit is better and Wonder Woman (the most iconic female super hero) is a boring super hero now..and many other stuff. (few examples). It's ok for someone to love another other comic book company and their movies but this is just this is very tiring.

I guess it's hopeless, as even if BvS turn to be pretty good some people have already decided to hate it.

People saying it looks awful based on the usual cheesy EW cover.

It doesn't take much too look past that and see that they look great. Like a few pics can really tell us much about the quality of the film.

People saying it looks awful based on the usual cheesy EW cover.

It doesn't take much too look past that and see that they look great. Like a few pics can really tell us much about the quality of the film.

I'm glad they kept it simple instead of that shitty backdrop we got for Age of Ultron's covers.

Simo

I bet WB probably would be 100 percent a lock to win Comic Con if they hadn't wanted to shove every other movie like Pan into their Hall H session, and just focused on the DCU stuff.

Eh...last year Mad Max: Fury Road was the main talk of the con and "won" because of the footage they screened which WB caught on with and released online the same weekend. So if the BvS footage is great and they announce their future plans like The Batman rumors being true and assemble the Justice League on stage...yeah, Hall H will lose it's shit. Really excited for next Saturday and I'm not even attending. lol

Did you guys catch this little background info on Batman on EW.com?
Drawn in part from the even more aged version of the character in Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, the Batman in Zack Snyder’s 2016 film is bowed if not broken after two decades at his Sisyphean task of cleaning up the streets of Gotham. His temples are streaked with gray and Wayne Manor is little more than a desolate husk, overtaken by weeds and water-stains after years of neglect.

Of course, if he’s taking on Superman, he can’t be too 
rickety. “I liked the fact that Ben was 
 6’ 4” and taller 
than Henry,” says Snyder. “I wanted Superman to 
have to feel like 
he was looking up to Batman despite being so much stronger.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/0...t?hootPostID=6759c8026c7a728df21a17cb2d733dce

Loxley

Sigh, that EW thread. I swear BvS threads have become parodies of themselves at this point. We can add another one to the list of threads that devolved into people critiquing Gadot's body. I don't get it, did nerds get this picky with Hathaway's physique for Catwoman? Or ScarJo's for Black Widow?

At this point we almost need to just have a thread dedicated to talking about Wonder Woman's physique so people don't feel the need to derail news threads with that stuff. Not to be a backseat mod but I'm honestly surprised that EW thread hasn't been closed at this point, not much discussion is going on aside from the same tired old arguments.

ReiGun

Sigh, that EW thread. I swear BvS threads have become parodies of themselves at this point. We can add another one to the list of threads that devolved into people critiquing Gadot's body. I don't get it, did nerds get this picky with Hathaway's physique for Catwoman? Or ScarJo's for Black Widow?

At this point we almost need to just have a thread dedicated to talking about Wonder Woman's physique so people don't feel the need to derail news threads with that stuff. Not to be a backseat mod but I'm honestly surprised that EW thread hasn't been closed at this point, not much discussion is going on aside from the same tired old arguments.

This is why I stay out of DCCU and MCU threads for the most part now. They're just the same discussions happening over and over again.

Simo

Reading the article now. Are you guys interested in any of the bullet points like a new grapple gun shown to EW or that they got to watch 2 scenes including Batman and Superman duking it out and a scene with Bruce and Alfred in the Batcave.

Also looks like the original plan was to do a full MOS sequel that would of been either Brainiac or Metallo as the main villain, more so Metallo given MOS already did the alien invasion angle with Zod.

Simo

Apparently they built Wayne Manor on a field out in Detroit near the abandoned auto plants? Supposedly the manor is just a husk of it's former self, windowless and overgrown with vegetation.

EW is visiting the set during this shoot to which with the weather and set Snyder laments audiences will think it's CG because it looks "too real". lol

Apparently they built Wayne Manor on a field out in Detroit near the abandoned auto plants? Supposedly the manor is just a husk of it's former self, windowless and overgrown with vegetation.

EW is visiting the set during this shoot to which with the weather and set Snyder laments audiences will think it's CG because it looks "too real". lol

The audience will think everything is CG, like the False God Statue. Most of the statue is a practical effect.

3N16MA

Banned
It's hilarious how many people are losing their shit over that EW cover and think the trinity look horrible.

I'm pretty sure every single batsuit looks off when placed on a white background and bright light. That pretty much goes for any of these superhero costumes.

Reading the article now. Are you guys interested in any of the bullet points like a new grapple gun shown to EW or that they got to watch 2 scenes including Batman and Superman duking it out and a scene with Bruce and Alfred in the Batcave.

Also looks like the original plan was to do a full MOS sequel that would of been either Brainiac or Metallo as the main villain, more so Metallo given MOS already did the alien invasion angle with Zod.
Do you really need to ask :p
Yes, definitely interested

IconGrist

There was a Man of Steel myths video about how many people Superman saved. I added it to my watch later tab and finally got around to it a few minutes ago. About half way in I noticed on the sidebar for recommended videos there was a video titled "A Thesis on Man of Steel". It basically covers how the entire movie is almost 1:1 with a child's birth starting from the ejaculation to finally "Welcome to the Planet". Really interesting although judging by the comments just as divisive as the movie itself.

I don't agree with his assessment that the movie displays genius film making on the part of both Snyder and Goyer but there are some interesting concepts shown. I recommend a watch. Beware though, it is roughly 40 minutes in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

Did they elaborate more on the batcave scene? I knew irons would be a pimp Alfred but he really won me over after hearing him in the teaser

Simo

Did they elaborate more on the batcave scene? I knew irons would be a pimp Alfred but he really won me over after hearing him in the teaser

It's a scene where Bruce is trying to convince Alfred about his decision to do a preemptive strike against Superman with Alfred against it. Irons actually has a quote in the article about how he won't be embarrassed by the film but actually quite proud of it...lol

Ahasverus

It's a scene where Bruce is trying to convince Alfred about his decision to do a preemptive strike against Superman with Alfred against it. Irons actually has a quote in the article about how he won't be embarrassed by the film but actually quite proud of it...lol
As he's already on the "no fucks given" age, this gives me.hope :D

Loxley

Irons was in both the Dungeons & Dragons movie and that terrible Eragon adaption, so it's not like he's above doing comic book movies.

SimleuqiR

There was a Man of Steel myths video about how many people Superman saved. I added it to my watch later tab and finally got around to it a few minutes ago. About half way in I noticed on the sidebar for recommended videos there was a video titled "A Thesis on Man of Steel". It basically covers how the entire movie is almost 1:1 with a child's birth starting from the ejaculation to finally "Welcome to the Planet". Really interesting although judging by the comments just as divisive as the movie itself.

I don't agree with his assessment that the movie displays genius film making on the part of both Snyder and Goyer but there are some interesting concepts shown. I recommend a watch. Beware though, it is roughly 40 minutes in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

Will watch later. Thanks!

Little fun-fact from the article, Gal Gadot auditioned for the role by reading dialog from Pulp Fiction

I really don't get why people are so faithless in Gadot. So far I'd wager WB's casting has been impeccable. Nolan's trilogy was onpoint, Nobody felt out of place in MoS and they even squeezed a good performance out of Detective Stabler (they really should keep using actors from Law and Order :p), even GL's casting was strong. I still maintain that superheroes are really an entry level acting role, they usually don't have that much depth to them, it's the story that teaches a moral while the characters are usually tools. Writer's arcs are so short that they rarely have lasting impact on the character and their development.

It's weird, WB is like the top dog every other year both critically and financially but they get so much cynicism.

Anyway, has anyone read the IMDB leaked story that was posted a few weeks ago? I'm wondering if some details from the story lineup with these newly released EW images, people seemed to like the IMDB story a bit.

Simo

Anyway, has anyone read the IMDB leaked story that was posted a few weeks ago? I'm wondering if some details from the story lineup with these newly released EW images, people seemed to like the IMDB story a bit.

I did but on IMDB they found the leaked plot had been circulating on various forums in different states since last year and deemed fake. Some of the timeline is off too whats described compared to the info given in the EW article.

That said, without having followed film of BvS, did you all know there was a scene involving Bruce and Diana at a ball or them meeting prior to the EW photos being released?

I really don't get why people are so faithless in Gadot. So far I'd wager WB's casting has been impeccable. Nolan's trilogy was onpoint, Nobody felt out of place in MoS and they even squeezed a good performance out of Detective Stabler (they really should keep using actors from Law and Order :p), even GL's casting was strong. I still maintain that superheroes are really an entry level acting role, they usually don't have that much depth to them, it's the story that teaches a moral while the characters are usually tools. Writer's arcs are so short that they rarely have lasting impact on the character and their development.

I would say that no one in MOS really had to (or did) deliver a stand out performance.

I would say that no one in MOS really had to (or did) deliver a stand out performance.

I don't think there's much room for improv in these films. In general I think it's hard to be a bad superhero, but it's also hard to be a standout one since the characters themselves are so one dimensional. The only performances I thought that were truly standout was Gary Oldman as Gordon (the ending scene with two face in TDK so good), Ledger's improv, some scenes as Bruce with Bale (namely his dialogue with Rachel in Begins when they're in the car, the party scene as well).

I hope we get some Clark scenes and it isn't just Superman with glasses but a different persona.

I hadn't seen that leak was disproven, that's a bit disappointing given people's positive feedback. I have confidence Terrio's treatment will be awesome. I genuinely believe Affleck and Co is committed to this and he doesn't want another Daredevil and is probably calling some of the shots here.

What do you guys make of the apparent recent leaked plot for the movie making rounds on the web?

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3c5kmi/potential_spoilers_a_detailed_plot_of_batman_v/

I don't want to read all of it but I skimmed the comments. A setting name drop made me giddy.
Kahndaq does seem like a reasonable place to have a civil war and those solders with the superman arm bands. Also perfectly leads into Black Adam if he shows up in Justice League.

Tell me about it.

Dude gets no love or respect.

meh, most fans of popular heroes aren't real fans. I'm sure there was a lot of diehard Superman fans after Donner's film who all thought Batman was lame and camp, and Marvel may as well not have existed outside of Spiderman and maybe Hulk. I won't lie, Batman fans say the funniest things to the point where I don't really see any pride in having your favorite super hero be popular, because they don't like your hero, they like how popular it is.

So I'll wear a Shazam shirt to the movies and people will say how much they love Flash to me :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom