• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The drone hurts him but I don't think it makes him bleed (heh!). I rewatched that scene a few times when this was brought up before. It definitely tears his sleeve but I don't recall seeing blood. The energy blast from that ship's cannon does put him on his ass for a minute though. I don't even remember seeing blood when he was drained from the World Engine fight.

Your quite right, I was wrong. I did a quick look and what I thought was blood looks to be a scorch mark from the weapon on his top. Still, the weapon seems to hurt him, so that's something, and the ships weapons deafinately daze him. So to my original post, that could be how they get their "kryptonite" going forward.

Quick edit:
I also just got the bleeding thing, lol.

DaveH

Just some random points on Kryptonite... as far back as 2-years ago, Snyder saying that just because Kryptonite (and Ice Breath) wasn't in MOS didn't mean they couldn't appear in the future.

Ice Breath & Kryptonite
https://youtu.be/ZE54Jrjcj8I?t=1m45s

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Especially with various rumors and fanfics running around, it's interesting that of all the configurations of Kryptonite Umberto Gonzalez could allege, the one he mentions is in a pre-existing 2-year-old interview.

Kryptonite Spear
https://youtu.be/ExT5rqFqef0?t=3m50s

We've had rumors of Kryptonite-laced armor going back to October 2014... and interesting to note that while EW mentions Kryptonite in connection with the suit online, their print edition never mentions it.

http://batman-news.com/2014/10/27/e...flecks-batman-batman-v-superman-dawn-justice/

Overall, Kryptonite is just such a large part of the mythos it'd be hard to keep sidestepping it... and it's a solution the public is willing to accept without much challenge, which, maybe, this Superman needs more of since some considered MOS too challenging. Three upsides to Kryptonite:

1. Whatever time is spent explaining it is now a sunk cost in the cinematic universe, that never has to be revisited, and frees up time for Metallo or whomever else ends up relying on it in the future.

2. Gives Superman a chance to overtime this weakness to show it's a vulnerability but not a "win button". That can honor both Superman and Batman... Superman, because he can still put up a fight, even with Kryptonite on the table, and Batman because he still has to fight, even with Kryptonite on the table.

3. Superman entrusts the Kryptonite to Batman. I'll be severely disappointed if there isn't some variation of this in the film, but I totally expect this iconic moment and all that it means.

Bit-Bit

My prediction based on that EW pic of Bruce and Wonder Woman dancing is that Batman will lure Superman into a trap where Wonder Woman would subdue him. Batman would have Wonder Woman use the lasso of truth on Superman in order to find out if his intentions are good.

That sounds like something a paranoid Batman would do.

DaveH

My prediction based on that EW pic of Bruce and Wonder Woman dancing is that Batman will lure Superman into a trap where Wonder Woman would subdue him. Batman would have Wonder Woman use the lasso of truth on Superman in order to find out if his intentions are good.

That sounds like something a paranoid Batman would do.
They're going to have to sell me on why they need to fight as opposed to talking it out. If Batman just wants to check Superman's good intentions, I don't think they need a trap to do that. They could just go up to him and say, "Look, hold this and answer these questions so we don't have to worry." Superman would be reluctant but after vetting them, he'd probably do it.

My pet-theory-that-isn't-going-to-happen is that Batman completely lost it at one point. He lost a Robin, flipped out, and brought himself to the point where he couldn't trust himself. That's a theme we've seen repeatedly throughout the mythos, it wouldn't be unique to BvS. So he recognizes Superman's good intentions... but Batman knows he had his own good intentions too and an iron-will beyond anyone... but when he snapped that meant- at worse- picking up a gun... if Superman snaps, that could mean Earth under the boot of an immortal alien tyrant. So Batman sets out to push Superman to that breaking point to see what's on the other side and put Superman down if necessary.

It's not going to happen since this Batman doesn't seem to have a problem with guns or extreme violence (I'm expecting Watchmen-level bone breaking, which is maybe too far for me)... and I don't see him not being able to trust himself, especially if Alfred feels the need to try to talk him down.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Not at all, I posted something similar to this in this or one of the other topics, I forget where.

They mention in MoS that Kryptonians were harvesting their own planet to use as an energy source, this is what leads to the core going unstable and exploding. That energy source is present in all of their technology, including what is currently on earth across all their ships, some which weren't totally destroyed by the end of the film. We also see this technology is harmful to Superman in MoS. The drone on the ship attacks and cuts into Clarks skin quite early on and they specifically do a close up of it, later an energy weapon is used on him that throws him into a car and leaves him weakened for a moment when we have seen him chucked into a number of things and it barely affects him.

It just means the ships blast hits him as hard or harder as the kryptions hit themselves, he goes face down plenty of time when faora and nam-ek are beating the shit out of him, he also hangs all lifeless and limp after Zod throws him through all the buildings.

I don't think it's far-fetched to assume that the actual tech the kryptonians are using is magnitudes more powerful than fisticuffs; supes getting put on his ass by it doesn't imply kryptonite weakness.
Also yeah, the drone didn't break his skin, just charred the shirt.

Platy

It is easy to acept a green space rock because Supes REALLY need more weakness and the magic thing is way too sily

New clip?

YDZezh5.gif

fake, not slow motion

DaveH

It just means the ships blast hits him as hard or harder as the kryptions hit themselves, he goes face down plenty of time when faora and nam-ek are beating the shit out of him, he also hangs all lifeless and limp after Zod throws him through all the buildings.
This triggered a thought. Superman is pretty dazed after the gas station explosion... I'm pretty sure Zod is up and starts getting disoriented before Superman starts to get up. In other words, Superman learns a gasoline explosion can daze him for a good stretch.

Between that time and Zod kicking an oil tanker at him, Zod declares his intention to exterminate the human race and later demonstrates he has heat vision.

So when Zod kicks an oil tanker at him, Superman logically avoids being dazed as long as he was in the prior fight, because losing / dying means everyone dies.

Of course, the real answer is that he's a total newbie and no one should be questioning his combat tactics day-one in the cape, but for whatever reason some are incredibly hung up on him dodging something he knows is going to leave him dazed if Zod ignites it in his face.

IconGrist

Hmm I actually didn't catch that. Nice attention to detail if true.

I find a common theme in Snyder movies is there are indeed in-movie explanations to every or most "what the fuck?" moments but they are so subtle or thrown in/away that unless you were really really looking for it you don't notice it. To such a point Snyder is always like "I don't get why everyone's mad" because it is explained. Just not to the audience in a way that's noticeable without a mild obsession to details.

late but will share my thought... to be honest with you guys, the EW kryptonite confirmation slightly dropped my hype for this movie.

For me it was the first bad news I heard about this movie, and thought (and hoped) that Zack will not go in that road especially since we have a weakness for Supes (Kryptonian_atmosphere). I really hate kryptonite, it's just a lazy way to make Superman useless. :(

I don't see your reasoning here. Whether it's a weakness to atmosphere or a rock the results will be the same. Both are as "lazy" as the other. Having that dampen you hype for a film seems very arbitrary.

I will say however that I personally like that kryptonite is synthesised from the atmosphere. It makes it weaponised rather than a coincidental piece of Kryptonian debris. There is intent and planning there that says a lot about Luthor.

Odoul

late but will share my thought... to be honest with you guys, the EW kryptonite confirmation slightly dropped my hype for this movie.

For me it was the first bad news I heard about this movie, and thought (and hoped) that Zack will not go in that road especially since we have a weakness for Supes (Kryptonian_atmosphere). I really hate kryptonite, it's just a lazy way to make Superman useless. :(

Not having read the article: It seems like this version of Kryptonite will be synthesized from the atmosphere.

When the World Engine was shitting things up in the Indian Ocean it looked like it was kicking up tons of particulate matter, it could be explained Kryptonite is just Earth put through whatever world changing process the Kryptonians use.

I'm also not a huge fan of Kryptonite but I'm fine with it if they nerf it a little bit.

1. Keep it so that it just saps him of his powers, don't have it kill him.
2. Have it work like poisons to humans where it's only harmful in certain phases like gas or liquid and inert in solid form. Or vice versa.
3. Have it very difficult to mine/synthesize and not a ton of people know about it.

Thanks. Thought it was tomorrow :(

I think it's Preview Night that starts tomorrow. Only worthwhile thing from that is the pilots/season premieres for Supergirl, Blindspot, Containment, Lucifer, and Teen Titans Go.
And Supergirl you can find the leak of.

EDIT: another possible good place for details might be this

Entertainment Weekly: Women Who Kick Ass - 3:45pm, Hall H - These women discuss their roles. Wow. Gal Gadot (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice), Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones), Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter), Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who), Kathy Bates (American Horror Story),

I think it's Preview Night that starts tomorrow. Only worthwhile thing from that is the pilots/season premieres for Supergirl, Blindspot, Containment, Lucifer, and Teen Titans Go.
And Supergirl you can find the leak of.

EDIT: another possible good place for details might be this

That women presentation sounds good. Hoping Gal puts some of the body shamers on blast.

Raptor

That women presentation sounds good. Hoping Gal puts some of the body shamers on blast.

I just want her to shut me up and prove she can do WW justice thats all.

I haev only watched her on the FF film and didnt appeared to be someone with authority at all to me but thats the beauty of acting, maybe on the casting she did some badass and strong acting and thats why she got the part.

I cant wait to see my boy Supes on some new scenes!!

Not sure. Solicitations are usually on Mondays (September's was on June 15), but I do know they discuss things at SDCC sometimes.

Hoping it's sooner, I'm sure they'll want to promote their new wave. They already unveiled those minis for 2016.

Curious if the BvS trailer will have Wonder Woman or not. I'm sure WB doesn't want to show off the third act just yet and I'm assuming that's where her and the secondary villain come to play the most.

Simo

Somebody is going to periscope the panel. I can't wait

Oh really? Details?

Also another look at the armor displayed came across my feed..
11692527_10206133854601289_3199175443491956547_n.jpg

There was also a YouTube video up earlier showing Lego's holographic display showing the trinity transforming into their Lego versions but the vid was removed pretty quick. :(

Oh really? Details?

Also another look at the armor displayed came across my feed..
11692527_10206133854601289_3199175443491956547_n.jpg

There was also a YouTube video up earlier showing Lego's holographic display showing the trinity transforming into their Lego versions but the vid was removed pretty quick. :(

This excites me

Watched this kindafunny video about all the super hero movies coming up and which on will flop. I don't fucking know, why Colin thinks, that Batman v Superman will be a fucking bad movie.

A lot of people say that. I don't know why. Can anybody explain ?

A lot people didn't like Man of Steel and it's directed by the same director. I think some of it also has to do with how well Nolan's Batman films are regarded and the fact it hasn't been that long since Batman's last live action appearance.

A lot people didn't like Man of Steel and it's directed by the same director. I think some of it also has to do with how well Nolan's Batman films are regarded and the fact it hasn't been that long since Batman's last live action appearance.

tbh, I also don't know why MoS is so hated, I mean it has some questionable scenes, but it was an entertaining movie and not worse or better than the first movies of Iron-Man, Cpt. America and Thor.

tbh, I also don't know why MoS is so hated, I mean it has some questionable scenes, but it was an entertaining movie and not worse or better than the first movies of Iron-Man, Cpt. America and Thor.

I'd rate Iron Man above it but don't think it's a bad film at all. There's a few missteps but the action scenes are great and Cavill was good.

Personally I can't help but be excited about Batman and Superman appearing in a film together.

I'd rate Iron Man above it but don't think it's a bad film at all. There's a few missteps but the action scenes are great and Cavill was good.

Personally I can't help but be excited about Batman and Superman appearing in a film together.

It's because it's viewed as DC's first effort at their expanded universe, though from what I understand that decision to launch it as their cinematic universe came in post production, then they added the Wayne satellite and a few other easter eggs. I liked the movie but admittedly it didn't open with a bang like Iron Man did, which I think made people a lot more forgiving of Thor, Incredible Hulk and Captain America, which really aren't any better than Man of Steel (imo Hulk is much worse).

BvS to me, is the first real launch into the DCEU. I'm expecting it to be more "mythic" as Ben put it. This film will make or break the DCEU, at least for me and probably many other people, and I think WB realizes that.

Imperial

You pretty summed up my thoughts about the film as well. I'm interested in seeing how Cavill will tackle the persona of Clark Kent in BvS. A bit introverted, bumbling and awkward?

Watched this kindafunny video about all the super hero movies coming up and which on will flop. I don't fucking know, why Colin thinks, that Batman v Superman will be a fucking bad movie.

A lot of people say that. I don't know why. Can anybody explain ?

Edit: forgot the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMdDcjUqBY

I wanna preface this by saying I am excited for this movie, mainly because of Batman and TDKR vibes. I'll see it opening night. But...

I am one of those people that greatly disliked Man of Steel. Didn't like it when I saw the early premiere, I've watched it twice after and didn't like it. And this movie, from a style perspective, points to being the same thing. There was a significant drop off in quality from the first two Nolan films, which with the tone Snyder/DC chose allowed for direct comparisons. Snyder and Affleck have been going on and on about dark and gritty, and honestly, when I look at how Suicide Squad looks, I don't get it. If the tone remains similar for that film I'll be shocked.

Like I'm super pumped for Suicide Squad, yet this movie only gets from me "It's Batman so I'll see it." I don't think it'll flop though MoS for as dividing as it was did very well, add Batman and Wonder Woman to the formula and $1 billion doesn't seem crazy.

I wanna preface this by saying I am excited for this movie, mainly because of Batman and TDKR vibes. I'll see it opening night. But...

I am one of those people that greatly disliked Man of Steel. Didn't like it when I saw the early premiere, I've watched it twice after and didn't like it. And this movie, from a style perspective, points to being the same thing. There was a significant drop off in quality from the first two Nolan films, which with the tone Snyder/DC chose allowed for direct comparisons. Snyder and Affleck have been going on and on about dark and gritty, and honestly, when I look at how Suicide Squad looks, I don't get it. If the tone remains similar for that film I'll be shocked.

Like I'm super pumped for Suicide Squad, yet this movie only gets from me "It's Batman so I'll see it." I don't think it'll flop though MoS for as dividing as it was did very well, add Batman and Wonder Woman to the formula and $1 billion doesn't seem crazy.
I've always found comment like that kind of ridiculous. There's a difference between grounded and realistic

How actually is the tone similar? Nolan's trilogy and Man of Steel aren't alike in the slightest. One's a realistic subdued character-driven vigilante crime thriller essentially, the others focused on over-the-top sci-fi action.

It's like saying The Road (bleak and gritty) and The Book of Eli (blind Denzel kicks ass) have similar tones because they're both post-apocalyptic wasteland movies and similar looking settings.

IconGrist

What gets me excited is Affleck. Not because he's Batman but because his career probably can't handle another Daredevil situation. Yea it's possible WB offered him a bunch of money to make whatever movies he wants but Affleck strikes me as being very concerned about his public image. Agreeing to be Batman in a movie he thinks is subpar doesn't seem like something he would do while his name is in such good standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom