• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
JLD would be interesting and a logical next step after squad if they go crazy with Enchantress's magic. I keep hoping these smaller named properties get creative directors out of the woodwork that are fans of the IP.

Figure the next few months will be relatively dry, then after Star Wars hits it will be BvS everywhere. Maybe we'll get a fun ARG.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
JaR8e2a.gif

For Supes it's probably a jog, but maybe he is weakened. Who knows.

Battfleck is strong, being able to run in that suit is impressive.

The geography of that fight confuses me. It seems like all takes place by the Batlight, but the Empire photo (which that gif shows) said that indoor location is Wayne Manor. HOW DO THEY GET THERE DURING THE FIGHT.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man of Steel is on FX. God I love this movie. Haters be damned. Just watched the trucker scene and still don't understand why so many sympathize with the sexual harassing creep.

a916

Man of Steel is on FX. God I love this movie. Haters be damned. Just watched the trucker scene and still don't understand why so many sympathize with the sexual harassing creep.

Because Clark is supposed to take it and just smile while drinking a glass of milk... or something. Loved that moment to be honest.

I loved that bit, but I felt bad about it later. A man as strong as Clark, anything aggressive or petty you do is basically bullying, even if the guy deserved it; the gap is just so huge.

I wouldn't call it a flaw with the movie like some people do, mind.

Because they want infallible Superman. The Superman on a moral level above Jesus, you know cuz even Jesus had a tantrum once.

Sambrez_

A friend of mine had a lunch with Jason Momoa a few days ago, he was in Paris for an expo. Mainly there for his Drogo part. He couldn't finish the lunch because everyone was asking him about Aquaman and he got pissed (rightly so in my opinion) and left.

Because Clark is supposed to take it and just smile while drinking a glass of milk... or something. Loved that moment to be honest.

I liked it because it showed he was human and there was a struggle there, in that he has all this power but he's consistently told to reign it in and not to abuse it. It probably wasn't right but it was natural and something I think a good portion of people would do. I don't get the people sympathizing with the truck driver though, dude's an ass.

a916

I liked it because it showed he was human and there was a struggle there, in that he has all this power but he's consistently told to reign it in and not to abuse it. It probably wasn't right but it was natural and something I think a good portion of people would do. I don't get the people sympathizing with the truck driver though, dude's an ass.

He is, and yeah, it even got a chuckle/damn Clark got him that's awesome.

Loxley

Upon subsequent viewings of Man of Steel, there are really only two things that I don't like about it: the distracting amount of blatant product placement and that *awful* makeout scene between Lois and Supes after a few hundred thousand civilians were just atomized. For as much as the poorly executed Pa Kent death scene gets raked through the coals on GAF, I think that entirely inappropriate moment between those two characters is 10x worse. At least with the Pa Kent stuff I could see what they were trying to do.

Also, Goyer's attempts at humor are some of the worst in the industry, so freaking glad he's gone. But overall I do really like the film. Cavill is a great Superman, and I like that they're giving him more to work with than just the noble do-gooder we're used to. It's a different approach to the character and I understand why some people don't like it, but they've piqued my interest and I'm very curious to see where his character goes in BvS.

I don't know. I also loved the scene in Supes II when he returns to a diner and beats a bully (my favorite of that movie). People also seem to have a problem with that scene...

LionPride

Banned
I watched MoS for the first time since I saw it in theatres today, man do I love that movie. I am the only person among my friends who like that movie. The fight in Smallville is just so great.

Loxley

I don't know. I also loved the scene in Supes II when he returns to a diner and beats a bully (my favorite of that movie). People also seem to have a problem with that scene...

That scene has never made sense to me given Reeves' portrayal of the character. He's an experienced hero by that point and is this beacon of absolute nobility, so the idea that he would go out of his way for what is ultimately just petty vengeance is quite out of character. Sure, it makes the audience feel good because we *want* that guy to get his comeuppance, but the whole idea is that Superman wouldn't bother because he's better than us (not to get too poetic).

At least in Man of Steel, Clark isn't even Superman by that point. The movie frames him as this young, frustrated guy who's trying to find himself and figure out what exactly his role in the world is. So the idea that he would have this outburst of "fuck your truck" makes sense as his character is depicted.

The truck scene is stupid.

The scene would've worked much better if Clark just left. We can see that he's frustrated, that he wants to hit the guy, but he can't so he leaves. That would be fine. No, instead he destroys the guys truck offscreen by skewering it with telephone poles. Why not punch it? That at least is an act of frustration. Nope, he had to methodically destroy three telephone poles for no reason to make some weird structure.

So, while the scene is ostensibly about Clark feeling frustrated, it plays out like some weird power fantasy moment for the audience, as we're supposed to hate this generic jerk guy over the course of a minute and undercutting what the scene thought it was saying.

Also, how did he know the truck he destroyed belonged to that guy?

Penguin

The truck scene is stupid.

The scene would've worked much better if Clark just left. We can see that he's frustrated, that he wants to hit the guy, but he can't so he leaves. That would be fine. No, instead he destroys the guys truck offscreen by skewering it with telephone poles. Why not punch it? That at least is an act of frustration. Nope, he had to methodically destroy three telephone poles for no reason to make some weird structure.

So, while the scene is ostensibly about Clark feeling frustrated, it plays out like some weird power fantasy moment for the audience, as we're supposed to hate this generic jerk guy over the course of a minute and undercutting what the scene thought it was saying.

Probably saw the guy come in?
X-Ray vision and all

My problem with the scene is that it's done, and better,elsewhere in the movie with young Clark being bullied at school and crushing the gate in his hand. It shows how much restrain he has to engage in.

Mario007

Probably saw the guy come in?
X-Ray vision and all

My problem with the scene is that it's done, and better,elsewhere in the movie with young Clark being bullied at school and crushing the gate in his hand. It shows how much restrain he has to engage in.
Thats the thing though isnt it. The truck scene isnt about just the frustration but rather about losing Clark's cool. Its that middle step between taking it and actively retaliating. It shows anger not frustration.

And this is framed in even better light because of that bully scene where Clark held his cool but in the present he is struggling like hell prior to finally finding his purpose when he finds the Krypton ship.

IconGrist

Yea, those two bully scenes show that his dad was his true strength and without that you have a powerful being who is a bit fed up with the world he is in. This is brought up again in the church when he tells the priest he doesn't know if the people of Earth can be trusted. Lois becomes his new strength and along with finding out his own ancestry it reinvigorates his drive.

I thought this character development was well done but most just see "he ruined the trucker's life" and move on.

Posted? You can play as Batfleckman in a content update for Arkham Knight with the swish Batmobile

Yes, you read that right, coming in November we have the awesome Batsuit AND Batmobile from the highly anticipated movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. This will be available to everyone, with Season Pass owners getting exclusive early access.

original

In response to the requests from the community, we’ve worked with our friends at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment to bring the 2008 movie, The Dark Knight skin to players in the December pack.

Finally, also in December, we’ll take you back to 2009 with the Original Arkham Batmobile, which will be available to drive on race tracks and conditional free-roam around Gotham City just like the other downloadable Batmobiles.

AR Challenges are one of the most popular features in the community, and we’ve been working to make our game better by implementing player feedback wherever possible. Thanks to fans telling us what they want, we’ve added Character Selection for AR Challenges. We’ve added support for this in combat challenges in October, and we are working on this for Invisible Predator maps ready for November. We’ve also heard you ask for round-based AR combat Challenges and these will be added into the mix from October onwards, along with the ability to select Hard difficulty to remove counter icons and get bigger score bonuses. We’ve heard you wanted more interior locations, so these have been added and will continue to be used in upcoming maps. Finally, some players found the blue walls around AR Challenges to be a little distracting, and if you’ve got the latest patch you’ll see we’ve significantly reduced this effect to increase the immersion.

There are two more Arkham Episodes coming in November. Catwoman’s Revenge puts players in control of Catwoman as she sets out to infiltrate the Riddler’s HQ as the final humiliation in their encounter. A Flip of a Coin, sees Robin dealing with the aftermath of Batman’s disappearance and hunting down Two-Face. The three post-launch Arkham Episodes are all roughly the same duration and are intended to be short, narrative vignettes that give a sense of what has happened to each of these characters after the events of Batman: Arkham Knight. We’re also converting these environments into new challenge maps to give more replay value to these packs.

In December, the Season of Infamy: Most Wanted Expansion will appear in your Gotham City, with each one approximately the similar length as the Most Wanted missions in the main game. Mad Hatter is playing a sinister mind-game with Batman, and GCPD’s finest are the pawns. Killer Croc has escaped from his maximum security cell and is wreaking havoc on a crashed airship. The League of Assassins has returned to Gotham City, but what is their motive and who is in charge? And Mister Freeze may be closer than ever to completing his life’s work… but at what cost?

Thanks for reading right to the end! It’s a relief to finally be able to take the lid off what we’ve got coming up on Batman: Arkham Knight for the rest of 2015, and it’s great to have this awesome community along for the ride. Thanks for letting us know what you think. This game wouldn’t be the same without you.

DaveH

No, instead he destroys the guys truck offscreen by skewering it with telephone poles. Why not punch it? That at least is an act of frustration. Nope, he had to methodically destroy three telephone poles for no reason to make some weird structure.
It's apparently a tribute to Action Comics No. 1 without being as on-the-nose as reproducing the cover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDVGuZ45OrQ

Looks like Clark just used exactly what was on hand, the lumber the truck was carrying, not three operating and wired telephone poles.

He was able to read Dr. Hamilton's ID badge during interrogation, he could have just peeked at the driver's registration, saw which truck was his and that he was insured, and acted in a completely human way, which seems to be the point of the movie... even with all his powers, he's still subject to the same moral dilemmas, heartbreak, temptations, as we are.

This version doesn't have the power to supernaturally forgive / be good... that has to come from him... this version doesn't get written out of dilemmas or given powers to avoid them like time travel, depowering tech, amnesia kisses, or undo-button sunstone crystals.

In other words, even if Clark is wrong- and he is, no way Jonathan cheers him on, "Good going son!"- that's exactly the point of the scene! To show this is a human character and we can't just assume his every decision is going to be perfect, righteous, and holy. This is different than the bullying scene because while the temptation was clear there, Clark made the right choice under his Dad's eye. Here, he's 20 years removed from that scene, he's 16 years removed from his Dad's guidance, and rather than default to the same saintly choice, his resolve has naturally eroded. He actually gives into temptation, which increases the hope and significance of meeting Jor-El.

Gonna post for a new page

Yes, you read that right, coming in November we have the awesome Batsuit AND Batmobile from the highly anticipated movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. This will be available to everyone, with Season Pass owners getting exclusive early access.

original

In response to the requests from the community, we’ve worked with our friends at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment to bring the 2008 movie, The Dark Knight skin to players in the December pack.

Finally, also in December, we’ll take you back to 2009 with the Original Arkham Batmobile, which will be available to drive on race tracks and conditional free-roam around Gotham City just like the other downloadable Batmobiles.

AR Challenges are one of the most popular features in the community, and we’ve been working to make our game better by implementing player feedback wherever possible. Thanks to fans telling us what they want, we’ve added Character Selection for AR Challenges. We’ve added support for this in combat challenges in October, and we are working on this for Invisible Predator maps ready for November. We’ve also heard you ask for round-based AR combat Challenges and these will be added into the mix from October onwards, along with the ability to select Hard difficulty to remove counter icons and get bigger score bonuses. We’ve heard you wanted more interior locations, so these have been added and will continue to be used in upcoming maps. Finally, some players found the blue walls around AR Challenges to be a little distracting, and if you’ve got the latest patch you’ll see we’ve significantly reduced this effect to increase the immersion.

There are two more Arkham Episodes coming in November. Catwoman’s Revenge puts players in control of Catwoman as she sets out to infiltrate the Riddler’s HQ as the final humiliation in their encounter. A Flip of a Coin, sees Robin dealing with the aftermath of Batman’s disappearance and hunting down Two-Face. The three post-launch Arkham Episodes are all roughly the same duration and are intended to be short, narrative vignettes that give a sense of what has happened to each of these characters after the events of Batman: Arkham Knight. We’re also converting these environments into new challenge maps to give more replay value to these packs.

In December, the Season of Infamy: Most Wanted Expansion will appear in your Gotham City, with each one approximately the similar length as the Most Wanted missions in the main game. Mad Hatter is playing a sinister mind-game with Batman, and GCPD’s finest are the pawns. Killer Croc has escaped from his maximum security cell and is wreaking havoc on a crashed airship. The League of Assassins has returned to Gotham City, but what is their motive and who is in charge? And Mister Freeze may be closer than ever to completing his life’s work… but at what cost?

Thanks for reading right to the end! It’s a relief to finally be able to take the lid off what we’ve got coming up on Batman: Arkham Knight for the rest of 2015, and it’s great to have this awesome community along for the ride. Thanks for letting us know what you think. This game wouldn’t be the same without you.

Also, saw this rooting around some comic con images. Are we going to see some 2 wheel action in this?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's apparently a tribute to Action Comics No. 1 without being as on-the-nose as reproducing the cover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDVGuZ45OrQ

Looks like Clark just used exactly what was on hand, the lumber the truck was carrying, not three operating and wired telephone poles.

He was able to read Dr. Hamilton's ID badge during interrogation, he could have just peeked at the driver's registration, saw which truck was his and that he was insured, and acted in a completely human way, which seems to be the point of the movie... even with all his powers, he's still subject to the same moral dilemmas, heartbreak, temptations, as we are.

This version doesn't have the power to supernaturally forgive / be good... that has to come from him... this version doesn't get written out of dilemmas or given powers to avoid them like time travel, depowering tech, amnesia kisses, or undo-button sunstone crystals.

In other words, even if Clark is wrong- and he is, no way Jonathan cheers him on, "Good going son!"- that's exactly the point of the scene! To show this is a human character and we can't just assume his every decision is going to be perfect, righteous, and holy. This is different than the bullying scene because while the temptation was clear there, Clark made the right choice under his Dad's eye. Here, he's 20 years removed from that scene, he's 16 years removed from his Dad's guidance, and rather than default to the same saintly choice, his resolve has naturally eroded. He actually gives into temptation, which increases the hope and significance of meeting Jor-El.

That site is amazing, though the Lois falling down while debris being pulled in was just a mistake. MoS is my favorite CBM. Masterpiece.

DaveH

That site is amazing, though the Lois falling down while debris being pulled in was just a mistake.
I dunno, their explanation makes sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYNSvoEWU5Y

Consider how much thought has to go into composing that. They had to shoot Lois falling on green screen, coordinate the stunt work for it, risk putting Amy Adams on wires and whatever training and insurance that involves if she gets injured. Then they have to spend millions on visual effects. You'd think someone at some point would say, "Are you sure you want her to fall while I'm drawing all this stuff going up?"

On top of that you have this:
Some VFX artist had to hand-pick those effects and they clearly show the effect on Superman is different than Lois. You can see their faces side-by-side. They didn't draw the blurring or the white "smoke" on Lois like she was being drawn into singularity like Supes. The difference seems 100% intentional and the explanation spot on.

Call it campy or whatever but I like the idea of him being in his warsuit in the first movie, though I find it hard to believe. MoS looks very steeped in realism (in that it's essentially our world + Superman in it) and I have a hard problem seeing lex's warsuit in that world. Then again, if there's going to be one person in the world that has a warsuit, it should be Lex fucking Luthor.

I'm hoping this movie breaks a lot of preconceptions about where WB wants to take their movie universe. The pictures from on set of suicide squad makes me believe this will turn people's idea of the DCEU on their head.
The pictures of the eyeball soldiers, crazy as hell.

a916

Apparently an artist on a VFX company wrapped working on Batman V Superman today and he said there is no Doomsday in this movie... which means nothing because movies this scope have multiple VFX companies doing multiple things.

LINK to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom