• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

http://fortune.com/contentfrom/2015/10/05/lex-luthor-jr/ntv_a/3dsBA58oDAfxgFA

Lex Luthor Jr.: Not Just His Father’s LexCorp

October 5, 2015, 1:00 PM

Alexander Joseph Luthor Jr. is a 31-year-old wunderkind who transformed an aging petrochemical and heavy machinery dinosaur into a tech darling of the Fortune 500 in what some call a superhuman feat.

This jeans-wearing genius is equally at ease rappelling the climbing wall in his employee “inspiration station” and coding in “the crucible”: the cutting-edge R & D lab where the baby-faced billionaire verbally extemporizes computer code like Miles Davis improvising a trumpet solo.

As we patiently wait our turn at the complimentary LexCorp vegan food truck (this day’s fare: pesto-olive pizza with raw almond crust), the son of Alexander Luthor Sr. – Lex Luthor – explains the evolution of LexCorp.

“Dad named the company after himself ten years before I made my unexpected entrance into his life. But investors seemed to respond to the idea of an adoring father building a legacy for his precious son. He used that to his advantage. It was a good shtick and, whatever else he was, he was a good businessman,” the younger Luthor explains.

Referring to Alexander Luthor Sr. as a “good businessman” is not unlike calling Napoleon Bonaparte a “competent conqueror.” The East German émigré, who passed away unexpectedly in 2000, arrived on our shores with nothing, but managed to carve out an empire of oil and machinery. By all accounts, he accomplished this feat through sheer grit and ferocity. His enemies, of which there are many, would also probably add “viciousness.”

“Well, Dad was a complicated guy,” his down-to-Earth son notes as we pass a tasteful display of his world-famous collection of meteorite crystals. “He came from a country where the government, in the guise of protector, had absolute control over the citizens. That drove him. I get it. Heck, I’d hate to see that sort of thing happen over here.”

But the achievements of LexCorp’s founder pale in comparison to the astonishing accomplishments of the younger Luthor, who was the youngest ever to be named Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year and included on the magazine’s list of the World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.

Taking the reins of the family business after the untimely death of his indomitable father, the prodigal son boldly changed the direction of the firm from oil and heavy machinery to tech. LexCorp has quickly become the second largest emerging technology corporation in the world next to Wayne Enterprises.

Partly, the success of this young company comes from Luthor’s willingness to go where Wayne fears to tread. Wayne Enterprises has shied away from military contracts in the last decade.

“It’s a necessity,” Luthor insists. “We live in the most dangerous point of time in all of human history. Statistically speaking, it’s a near certainty that another world-changing crisis is hurtling toward us like a speeding bullet. We have to be ready to defend ourselves. No civilization was ever conquered by having a strong military.”

As for the accusations of a few fringe outliers who accuse him of being a “war monger,” Luthor just laughs them off. “I don’t know very many ‘war mongers’ who have a foosball table in the conference room.”

In the face of Luthor’s self-effacing, easy charm, it’s tempting to see him as “just one of the guys” and not for what he truly is: a giver. Only when pressed does he admit that LexCorp is in the top three charitable corporations in America, just after Kord Industries and Wayne Enterprises. “It’s not a competition,” laughs Luthor. “Besides, I can’t hold a candle to those guys in the debauched billionaire playboy department!”

But he downplays the corporate generosity side of LexCorp. “Handouts don’t change the world. The true gift of LexCorp is our products. We are on the cusp of unveiling a technology that will change the world forever.”

When pressed, the youthful mogul will only hint. “It’s about safety. This is a product that will protect you, and everyone, from threats you don’t even know about yet. I don’t want to scare anybody… much. But there are a lot of threats out there, and they’re here today.”

It’s just lucky for us that, whatever the dangers lurking for us today, we have on our side Lex Luthor, a man of tomorrow.

a916

LexCorp has quickly become the second largest emerging technology corporation in the world next to Wayne Enterprises.

Take that! Lol

Also LOL at this article on MTV. The only thing they did was change the name of his father from Lionel to Alexander.

Ahasverus

Duuudes if that Article is written by Terrio, I'm going to die with the movie, it alone has more characterization than most movies out there.

Busty

Banned
WB dropping a Kord Industries reference? Nice

I'd have put cash money on a potential Booster Gold/Blue Beetle film featuring Jamie Reyes rather than Ted Kord given the studios push for diversity etc.

I'd have thought that Kord might be a little too close to Tony Stark (genius inventor turned hero) but perhaps Warners want Reyes for an eventual (Teen) Titans film?

But it speaks volumes about Warners ambitions that they are mentioning Kord Industries right now.

I'd have put cash money on a potential Booster Gold/Blue Beetle film featuring Jamie Reyes rather than Ted Kord given the studios push for diversity etc.

I'd have thought that Kord might be a little too close to Tony Stark (genius inventor turned hero) but perhaps Warners want Reyes for an eventual (Teen) Titans film?

But it speaks volumes about Warners ambitions that they are mentioning Kord Industries right now.

Ted serves as a solid contrast to Bruce, rather than an allusion to Tony. They're similar heroes (rich playboy* industrialists who fight crime with skill and gadgetry), but Ted is otherwise everything Bruce is not in terms of personality, and vice versa.

*Or wannabe playboys, in Ted's case.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
All hail Terrio!

chris-terrio-argo.jpg

Penguin

Don't know if this is cheeky... or actual viral marketing but from the NYCC site...

Yes. Free WiFi throughout the Javits Center will be provided by LexCorp Industries.

LexCorp unites humanity through technology. We believe in technology as a means of communication, unification and a source of inspiration. To access the WiFi on-site at the Javits Center, connect to the "LexCorp" network from the list of available networks.

You will automatically be redirected to the LexCorp WiFi login page where you can enter your email address and click "CONNECT" to gain access to the network. LexCorp – together, we can build a better world.

I'll find out in a few days

IconGrist

Haha, I'm starting to love this. Hopefully the marketing paints Lex as a true humanitarian and in the movie he's just utterly despicable.

I like that they're shining light on Lex more. After Gadot I'd say Eisenberg received the most vitriol online. I hope they emphasize just how brilliant he is, Donner's version didn't really give the impression he was the world's smartest man.

Penguin

a916

I like that they're shining light on Lex more. After Gadot I'd say Eisenberg received the most vitriol online. I hope they emphasize just how brilliant he is, Donner's version didn't really give the impression he was the world's smartest man.

None of them did to be honest... Kevin Spacey's was a terrible take too, but I guess he was going for Donner's version.

I really REALLY, hope WB does a Forbes interview with Bruce Wayne. This is still way too early, I really hope they don't saturate the shit out of the marketing... I mean wait until Star Wars drops first.

DaveH

There's no DC Comics booth again this year (the same space allocated to DC Entertainment videogames). I'm not excited about the panels... then again, I don't know if it's New York or what, but the last few DC panels I've attended was just a bunch of people lining up attempting to "confront" DC with questions which amounted to: "Why are you doing a thing I don't like... is it because you are evil!?" or the "Tell me a spoiler that you'd never say."

So... maybe it's just as well.

ReiGun

There's no DC Comics booth again this year (the same space allocated to DC Entertainment videogames). I'm not excited about the panels... then again, I don't know if it's New York or what, but the last few DC panels I've attended was just a bunch of people lining up attempting to "confront" DC with questions which amounted to: "Why are you doing a thing I don't like... is it because you are evil!?" or the "Tell me a spoiler that you'd never say."

Panels at Comic Con tend to be like that, but DC panels have been pretty bad for a long time.

srsly though where Shazam ongoing.

I'd love some new comic announcements but it seems unlikely with ANAD Marvel just releasing a million titles right now and DCYou having a lukewarm response. Then again they did just announce that katanna/deadshot book.

I don't read any Marvel books or keep up with discussions on their comics but I always get the impression that DC fans are a bit more... fanatical. You'll hear ex dc fans go on and on about changes DC did in the past rather than let it go. You'll hear about Identity Crisis and Geoff Johns being behind everything terrible brought up repeatedly but you hardly hear about One More Day or Mark Millar, or Loeb's Ultimatum. Maybe people just love DC characters a lot and are more passionate about them, it's odd and fascinating to me at the same time. It also extends past comics, Man of Steel generates a ton of discussion rather than being forgotten like most superhero films are. I think it's a testament to how high of a standard people have for these characters.

OR

It's because DC kind of throws the baby out with the bath water and reboots, which is irksome when you introduce replacements that people like.

And yes you do hear about One More Day and Ultimatum, the difference being that they don't screw with the entire comic universe.

OR

It's because DC kind of throws the baby out with the bath water and reboots, which is irksome when you introduce replacements that people like.

And yes you do hear about One More Day and Ultimatum, the difference being that they don't screw with the entire comic universe.

They do, actually. Ultimatum in particular fucked the Ultimate 'verse.

IconGrist

I'm trying to figure out why he needs a jacket and wraps around his hands when he's already wearing a padded armored suit and gauntlets with gloves.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Get hyped fuckers, WB is gonna kill it with the marketing.

a916

So does that confirm Superman soldiers in the desert is a dream sequence?

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to spoil that... would they? (not that it wasn't long rumored)

It gets cold out in the desert? Wait, no, that doesn't sound right at all.

It's probably all pulled up when he strolls in... as camo... then he rolls up the sleeves and it's ass whooping time.

In totally unrelated news... or related?... Marvel shuffles it's dates before DC is looking to make some sort of a push at NYCC... Does Marvel know that DC has planted some new dates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom