• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have an avatar from DC TV show. Big difference :)

Not to mention it doesn't really change the ridiculous hate there is for some nonMarvel movies that we have seen nothing from. Not even a damn picture from the set.

Not at all. It's still a DC avatar.

And there are dedicated Marvel movie haters on here, as well. Guaranteed you'll see Disco, Groq, and Kaep in every MCU thread shitting on it. Guaranteed. The TDKR vs Avengers thread back in 2012 really brought the DC crowd out in full force, but they were really took one on the chin after that.

I think people are just disappointed in DC after seeing how successful Marvel is with MCU. People like to dismiss how risky it all was now, after the fact, but MCU was a huge gamble.

And there are dedicated Marvel movie haters on here, as well. Guaranteed you'll see Disco, Groq, and Kaep in every MCU thread shitting on it. Guaranteed. The TDKR vs Avengers thread back in 2012 really brought the DC crowd out in full force, but they were really took one on the chin after that.

I think people are just disappointed in DC after seeing how successful Marvel is with MCU. People like to dismiss how risky it all was now, after the fact, but MCU was a huge gamble.

MCU has been successful but not really great - most of the movies are average or bad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
superman-castings.jpg

I don't know how we speculate off of this, but actual news!

Them all being new characters is pretty shit news to me, considering I was pretty into the idea of Callan Mulvey playing Metallo.

Seriously, Batman/Superman vs. Metallo and eventually Lex. It felt like the clearest way to go forward. But it's feeling clearer and clearer with every casting announcement that that's not what's happening.

Difficult to take posts like this seriously when you have a DC avatar. Same goes for Gaming side when people shit all over xbox and have Sony / Kaz avatars.

Stop spending so much time on GAF. Don't let other people influence your decisions.

Don't let other people's avatars influence your view on other people's posts.

so this is how you post? by what avatar a person has?

Them all being new characters is pretty shit news to me, considering I was pretty into the idea of Callan Mulvey playing Metallo.

Seriously, Batman/Superman vs. Metallo and eventually Lex. It felt like the clearest way to go forward. But it's feeling clearer and clearer with every casting announcement that that's not what's happening.

that's good. the Metallo/Luthor angle would be too obvious.

Shaanyboi

Banned

that's good. the Metallo/Luthor angle would be too obvious.

There's a difference between an obvious move and a clear move.

A Lex/Metallo team-up can introduce Kryptonite into the mythos, while also showing off Lex's technological prowess. Metallo having been horribly injured in the Zodd invasion gives him a personal reason to hate Superman but also is a reminder of his failure.

Lex can act as a non-costumed threat that Bruce and Clark can both interact with, which thankfully is still happening (though we don't know to what capacity).

It just makes sense.

effzee

If people judge taking it on the chin by measuring how much money a movie studio makes rather which movie they enjoyed, then yes DC fanboys took it on the chin.

But for those of us who rather judge the movies and not whether such and such studio is making bank or not, it came down just to the quality of the movies.

Even if you look at just the money, both movies made a killing at the box office so I just don't get how people get caught up in box office wars. Its the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

LosDaddie

Banned
MCU has been successful but not really great - most of the movies are average or bad.

Different opinions & all :)

Sure. More often than not, it's a good indicator where the poster's allegiances lie, especially on Gaming side.

If people judge taking it on the chin by measuring how much money a movie studio makes rather which movie they enjoyed, then yes DC fanboys took it on the chin.

But for those of us who rather judge the movies and not whether such and such studio is making bank or not, it came down just to the quality of the movies.

Even if you look at just the money, both movies made a killing at the box office so I just don't get how people get caught up in box office wars. Its the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Well, it was a BO thread is was referring to. Lots of crow was ate in that thread. The rest of us were just happy to see comic movies be successful at the BO.

It's really not any different than console wars on Gaming side.

Effect

I came across this blog post someone made back in November regarding what Warner Bros' actually approach could be in relation to Marvel's. Just his thoughts on it. For a while now I was thinking along these lines but this post actually puts into words what I was thinking. Here's the link to it for those interested.

http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/man-of-steel-isnt-about-superman/

The basic idea is that Man of Steel wasn't and possibly after the fact isn't about creating a new Superman franchise, following the pattern Marvel established with Iron Man, Thor, etc but primarily about creating an all encompassing Justice League movie franchise or brand. Which results in WB/DC having movies that focus on a particular storyline that builds the universe and not a particular character for the character's sake. That might give them the freedom to add and subtract characters as they choose from movie to movie based on the story.

The example used in the link is how Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold operated. Where you might have a story focusing on Superman (Man of Steel for example) then the next focusing on another set of characters. Sounds like what we're getting with Superman and Batman with some Wonder Woman sprinkled in. Then maybe the next story might could be Flash and Superman or Batman along with the rest of the Batman family. Then leading to a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Flash story or a Green Lantern/Wonder Woman/Flash story. I remember Justice League (pre and post Ulimited) operating like that and that's why it was so enjoyable. Characters got a chance to shine even though it was a team show. Film wise a approach like that that still leaves room for them to focus on Batman again if they choose but they won't have to as as their only option as something like this allows them to diversify to a point.

Pure speculation but something I've been thinking about myself. Especially in light of Snyder saying now that the world for this universe has been introduced, tone set, they can pretty much go wild with what they want to show and do. Comments like that and them going right to a Batman/Superman film with a Batman already established shows they aren't following Marvel. They want to jump into the deep end of things. Doesn't mean they're rushing things. It might be more conservative and safer for them to also team up heroes more then risk solo failures. Does this mean they might not have faith in characters. Sure but there is a lot of money at risk and better to have some assurances in place. Especially since, and this is also brought up, that Warner Bros does a LOT of other films and not exclusively superhero films like Marvel. They don't really have the money or time to devote to these films the way Marvel does. So whatever time and money they devote to this has to be used differently and with a different goal in mind.

He also brings up how WB/DC have been branding things in general with toys. I also noticed this and then noticed the same thing with the animated films. Where they've gone to focusing on team up stories with some solo Batman stories on the side after trying the solo films. The team films, even if they focus on a particular character (Supergirl in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse for example), do better I believe.

This a crazy thought?

I came across this blog post someone made back in November regarding what Warner Bros' actually approach could be in relation to Marvel's. For a while now I was thinking along these lines but this post actually puts into words what I was thinking. Here's the link to it for those interested.

http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/man-of-steel-isnt-about-superman/

The basic idea is that Man of Steel wasn't and possibly after the fact isn't about creating a new Superman franchise, following the pattern Marvel established with Iron Man, Thor, etc but primarily about creating an all encompassing Justice League movie franchise or brand. Which results in WB/DC having movies that focus on a particular storyline that builds the universe and not a particular character for the character's sake. That might give them the freedom to add and subtract characters as they choose from movie to movie based on the story.

The example used in the link is how Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold operated. Where you might have a story focusing on Superman (Man of Steel for example) then the next as we now have focusing on Superman and Batman with some Wonder Woman sprinkled in. The film we are looking forward to now. The next could be Flash and Superman or Batman along with the rest of the Batman family. Then leading to a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Flash story or a Green Lantern/Wonder Woman/Flash film. That still leaves room for them to focus on Batman again if they choose but they won't have to as this allows them to diversify to a point.

Pure speculation but something I've been thinking about myself. Especially in light of Snyder saying that the world in which this universe has been introduced, tone set, they can pretty much go wild with what they want to show and do. Comments like that and them going right to a Batman/Superman film with a Batman already established shows they aren't following Marvel. Doesn't mean they're rushing things. It might be more conservative and safer for them to also team up heroes more then risk solo failures. Does this mean they might not have faith in characters. Sure but there is a lot of money at risk and better to have some assurances in place. Especially since, and this is also brought up, that Warner Bros does a LOT of other films and not exclusively superhero films like Marvel. They don't really have the money or time to devote to these films the way Marvel does. So whatever time and money they devote to this has to be used differently and with a different goal in mind.

This a crazy thought?

Boner up, this sounds awesome!

Wiktor

And there are dedicated Marvel movie haters on here, as well. Guaranteed you'll see Disco, Groq, and Kaep in every MCU thread shitting on it. Guaranteed.

And? So you're saying that this makes Marvel fanboys trolling in DC threads ok? I don't think it does. Same with what Disco, Groq, and Kaep. If somebody hates the whole brand as a rule he should keep out of its threads.

Loxley

I agree, I really don't think they need a Justice League movie - which is why I'm glad they're seemingly going with a World's Finest/Trinity approach before anything else. As far as big guns go in the comic book world - it doesn't get much bigger than Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I'd almost want DC to try and beat Marvel to the team-up punch if anything. Have a movie where Superman and Green lantern team up to fight some alien force, or a movie where Batman and the Flash kick some ass.

ReiGun

I agree, I really don't think they need a Justice League movie - which is why I'm glad they're seemingly going with a World's Finest/Trinity approach before anything else. As far as big guns go in the comic book world - it doesn't get much bigger than Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I'd almost want DC to try and beat Marvel to the team-up punch if anything. Have a movie where Superman and Green lantern team up to fight some alien force, or a movie where Batman and the Flash kick some ass.

That would be pretty dope. A "Brave and the Bold" style series of movies where the different members of the JLA team up and go on adventures. You could have, to spitball/fanfic some things, one where Flash and Batman solve some case involving the Rogues, another where GL and Supes travel off into deep space to fight Mongul and Warworld, and another where Aquaman, Mera, and Wonder Woman travel to some magical dimension to face Circe. Then, you could culminate that in a JLA movie where Martian Manhunter brings them all together to fight Darkseid.

ReiGun

Fixed for you.
I would go see the hell out of that.

Then afterwards give me a Wonder Woman and Barda team up.

I put Mera because I think she and Aquaman work best together, but Zatanna would rock it too.

Barda and Mister Miracle with Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor (as our hapless normal guy) would be an awesome team up.

Gleethor

They'll move it because they can't afford for BvS to underperform even a little, not because they're afraid of Cap "beating" them.

It probably COULD come out earlier, I was under the assumption part of the reason it was pushed back was to help facilitate the back-to-back filming of World's Finest and Justice League or whatever the sequel to World's Finest ends up being.

G-Fex

once we get set photos that everyone on gaf and everywhere else will complain about once seeing then we'll know that we're kind of close to a release date.

G-Fex

Wow that's surreal to see thanks for the photos robert.

I wish we could see the costumes. If we got the superman lives costume pics we definitely need to see the ones for that movie

Wow that's surreal to see thanks for the photos robert.

I wish we could see the costumes. If we got the superman lives costume pics we definitely need to see the ones for that movie

I remember reading somewhere that they didn't even let Armie Hammer have a picture of a himself in the costume.

Blader

It probably COULD come out earlier, I was under the assumption part of the reason it was pushed back was to help facilitate the back-to-back filming of World's Finest and Justice League or whatever the sequel to World's Finest ends up being.

I had been thinking that too, and it might still be the case (maybe they'll announce it at Comic Con this year? since they won't have any Batman/Superman to show off) but I think it might have actually just been to give Terrio time to rewrite the script.

Senoculum

Warner Brothers have excellent relationships with ad agencies. The marketing for Batman vs Superman will undoubtedly be through the roof; defining the film as an experience that should not be missed. Especially with Christopher Nolan as an Executive producer, expect the teaser trailer a full year in advance of release date.

And make no mistake - they'll emphasize their mix of prestigious, and award winning actors...

The marketing for Cap 3... will be akin to the marketing of the past several Marvel flicks. Generic trailers that are filled with montage and fast paced music, with a big, chunky CGI treatment of the title and logo.

I hope WB doesn't flinch; I'd love to see a head to head impact and the ensuing implosion. I'm going to see both, but I will reserve my day one tickets for Bats and Supes.

FoneBone

They'll move it because they can't afford for BvS to underperform even a little, not because they're afraid of Cap "beating" them.

Yep. They have too much invested in it as the cornerstone of their future DC strategy. They have more to lose, and hence they're going to blink first.

BadAss2961

I hope WB doesn't flinch; I'd love to see a head to head impact and the ensuing implosion. I'm going to see both, but I will reserve my day one tickets for Bats and Supes.
They have to if they want it to make as much money as possible. Everything's riding on World's Finest, whereas Cap 3 is just another Marvel movie among many.

Marvel would probably be happy just taking a good chunk out of World's Finest, or looking bold when the fanboys rip DC for moving off the date.

IconGrist

BvS will undoubtedly, imo, do better than Cap 3. Even if Cap 3 does better opening weekend who is NOT going to go see Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time in live action at some point during it's run?

BvS will undoubtedly, imo, do better than Cap 3. Even if Cap 3 does better opening weekend who is NOT going to go see Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time in live action at some point during it's run?

I think MoS's pacing may have had some small impact on peoples quality expectations but I agree BvS has the possibility to get Avengers level hype.

If I'll be perfectly honest I think WB will budge and move, but it's far too soon since Cap 3 just got announced for that date, and they'd get far too much of a backlash if they'd move now.

Winter Soldier has now ammased over $300 million worldwide in its first week, due to critical reception and a boost by the first film and The Avengers, which it will get another of next year when Age of Ultron comes out. The real problem for them is not so much the release date, but how many screens they'll get on release week. Despite World's Finest being a major event Cap is bound to have a massive effect on how many screens it'll be shown on, which will hurt both especially with both films being presented in 3D, which some theaters still have a limited availability of. IMAX screens will also be divided worldwide between the two films, which will also have a percentual impact on the box office gross.

Statistically this battle could go either way, but Marvel is the only one of them who could handle a possible loss, whilst WB/DC's whole cinematic universe is in the hands of the reception/box office of World's Finest.
Even though it would seem weak to move I think World's Finest would be much safer off in June/July '16 in a similar slot where Man of Steel was placed last year. If this would be their plan they'd propably wait a month or two to announce a delay due to production and or further creative development of the film.

IconGrist

If I'll be perfectly honest I think WB will budge and move, but it's far too soon since Cap 3 just got announced for that date, and they'd get far too much of a backlash if they'd move now.

Winter Soldier has now ammased over $300 million worldwide in its first week, due to critical reception and a boost by the first film and The Avengers, which it will get another of next year when Age of Ultron comes out. The real problem for them is not so much the release date, but how many screens they'll get on release week. Despite World's Finest being a major event Cap is bound to have a massive effect on how many screens it'll be shown on, which will hurt both especially with both films being presented in 3D, which some theaters still have a limited availability of. IMAX screens will also be divided worldwide between the two films, which will also have a percentual impact on the box office gross.

Statistically this battle could go either way, but Marvel is the only one of them who could handle a possible loss, whilst WB/DC's whole cinematic universe is in the hands of the reception/box office of World's Finest.
Even though it would seem weak to move I think World's Finest would be much safer off in June/July '16 in a similar slot where Man of Steel was placed last year. If this would be their plan they'd propably wait a month or two to announce a delay due to production and or further creative development of the film.

If they have to move they should move up. Another delay I think would be detrimental.

I think MoS's pacing may have had some small impact on peoples quality expectations but I agree BvS has the possibility to get Avengers level hype.

Eh I don't think its a big deal, if it was just MOS 2 yeah it would definitely have problems.
But this will have Batman and Wonder Woman in it!
as long as they are half as cool as they should be, this movie will do very well.

People forget all the hate Iron Man 2 got and yet all the following movies did fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom