• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing BvS and Civil War both run with the Team This or That marketing highlights where both conflicts sit, for me at least. Civil War is about characters and BvS is about ideas. Both remain interesting. Random musing.

strafer

It's a transparent image. A white background on a page will show Superman's emblem, and a black background will show Batman's.

If you're using the dark theme here, which is dark gray, you'll see what the image really looks like. If you're using the default light theme, you'll just see Superman.

Superman's emblem is all black, so it'll disappear in a black background. Batman's is white, so it'll disappear in a white background.

WB visits Neogaf confirmed.

Verendus

Banned
Fans got #Batman to trend Worldwide in less than an hour and folks still believe this movie will bomb

MMcbhK3.jpg
I've kind of wondered how Warner Bros. is going to position their superheroes. With Disney, Iron Man is the clear centre. The others get plenty of screentime but they obviously treat him as the most important since he's the most popular. In that respect, his equivalent is Batman who's easily the most popular superhero WB has.

My assumption has always been that they'd just treat everyone equally without giving any superhero the central role, but I'm hoping Warner Bros. changes it up a little. Rather than just focusing on solo movies and Justice League, they need to do more movies where they have more than one superhero.

Much like BvS, I hope they'll do a movie in the future where you have Superman and Green Lantern off doing something or Batman and Wonder Woman. Integrate the stories more, but keep only two superheroes.

These kind of small team up movies would be a smart way to giving these characters more depth, but also building their relationships with each other. Justice League won't allow you to do that because there's too many characters so you can't build several relationships in any meaningful way.

That, and I'd also like another Batman and Superman movie in the future where they're wokring against a common conflict. You can still do the occasional solo movie, but I'd rather a big interconnected universe take advantage of different types of stories.

I'm curious what would happen if Superman and Green Lantern went on a space adventure together. Is that something that's happened in the comics? Does it even make sense? Would Superman last in space?

I'd like to see different things like that.

Fans got #Batman to trend Worldwide in less than an hour and folks still believe this movie will bomb

MMcbhK3.jpg

Serious question: are any significant number of people actually saying this? Something like two people put it forward in the "predict the biggest box office bomb of 2016" thread here, and they were rightly mocked for it by pretty much everyone else.

Even in the absolute worst-case scenario, I don't see how this can gross any less than $750M worldwide. The marketing and the two title characters should guarantee that at minimum, regardless of what I think of it.

Penguin

Serious question: are any significant number of people actually saying this? Something like two people put it forward in the "predict the biggest box office bomb of 2016" thread here, and they were rightly mocked for it by pretty much everyone else.

Even in the absolute worst-case scenario, I don't see how this can gross any less than $750M worldwide. The marketing and the two title characters should guarantee that at minimum, regardless of what I think of it.

Oh I'm not talking about just NeoGAF

There are people expecting/praying that it bombs so that "Warner is forced to reboot" again

I see it on other boards
I see it on Twitter
I see it sparingly on Facebook because I'm not friends with idiots.

There are people expecting/praying that it bombs so that "Warner is forced to reboot" again

I see it on other boards
I see it on Twitter

Eh, okay. The only two forums I pay close attention to are NeoGAF and Something Awful, and I don't see that particular prediction much on either one, but I can't monitor the entire Internet.

Penguin

Eh, okay. The only two forums I pay close attention to are NeoGAF and Something Awful, and I don't see that particular prediction much on either one, but I can't monitor the entire Internet.

Naw, I frequent some other places... I sit in front of a PC all day at work...

And Twitter, I usually like to see some reactions after trailers and commercials.

And it pops up more often than one would think.

Tabby

I see it on other boards
I see it on Twitter

Why do people want it to reboot again? I seriously doubt everyone are fanboys.

Penguin

Why do people want it to reboot again? I seriously doubt everyone are fanboys.

I think people tend to boil the conversation to Marvel vs DC, but that forgets another contingency altogether.

There are some DC fans who just don't like the direction these movies seem to go.

I've seen.... more than a handful of time, people complain about this movie being "Batman vs Superman" because they are friends and they shouldn't be fighting.

So folks want this to fail because they don't like the "Grimdark" and "Gritty" nature of these characters. And guess want something more... hmmm in line with a lighter tone like the old comics.

IconGrist

Another thing I've seen is people don't like that they fight at all. Some people don't like that they stop fighting. Some people don't like that Batman might win. Some people don't like that Superman might win. Some people don't like that maybe no one will win.

*shrug*

Tabby

I think people tend to boil the conversation to Marvel vs DC, but that forgets another contingency altogether.

There are some DC fans who just don't like the direction these movies seem to go.

I've seen.... more than a handful of time, people complain about this movie being "Batman vs Superman" because they are friends and they shouldn't be fighting.

So folks want this to fail because they don't like the "Grimdark" and "Gritty" nature of these characters. And guess want something more... hmmm in line with a lighter tone like the old comics.

That's why there's Marvel movies though? Why would people just want more of the same? The market's just going to get more repetitive if there's 6 movies a year all looking and doing the same things.

I guess I'm in the minority that prefers MoS over most of the Marvel movies.

They're not friends yet though that's the thing, I don't see why Batman would see all the destruction in Metropolis and go "Hey you have powers? Cool man let's be buddies and kickass together."

Another thing I've seen is people don't like that they fight at all. Some people don't like that they stop fighting. Some people don't like that Batman might win. Some people don't like that Superman might win. Some people don't like that maybe no one will win.

*shrug*

Haha I guess you just can't win then.

Penguin

That's why there's Marvel movies though? Why would people just want more of the same? The market's just going to get more repetitive if there's 6 movies a year all looking and doing the same things.

I guess I'm in the minority that prefers MoS over most of the Marvel movies.

They're not friends yet though that's the thing, I don't see why Batman would see all the destruction in Metropolis and go "Hey you have powers? Cool man let's be buddies and kickass together."

Well there's many more tones than say MCU and DCFilms that both could aim for.

Like I guess people would want something more akin to the Reeve Superman films. Though I feel those are so earnest that people would hate them for being so gee golly in this day and age.

#Superman, #Metropolis

Can't get behind this Batman from what I've seen. Branding people is psychotic behavior. That and his city still looks like a shithole. Hoping he becomes more humane and a family man as the films go on, especially if they do Under the Red Hood. I think he plays the antagonist way better in this case than Superman. Plus evil Supes is way more played out. How many elseworld comics has Batman been the evil dictator?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
#Superman, #Metropolis

Can't get behind this Batman from what I've seen. Branding people is psychotic behavior. That and his city still looks like a shithole. Hoping he becomes more humane and a family man as the films go on, especially if they do Under the Red Hood. I think he plays the antagonist way better in this case than Superman.

Snapping necks and practically destroying a whole city, and then kissing some chick you've just met on the ashes of the thousands of dead people. Pff, please. Batman seems like a normal guy in comparison.

#Batman

IconGrist

Snapping necks and practically destroying a whole city, and then kissing some chick you've just met on the ashes of the thousands of dead people. Pff, please. Batman seems like a normal guy in comparison.

#Batman

Everything you just said explains why Superman would win. He gives no fucks, lol.

Tabby

Who cares about two "heroes" and their petty squabbles. Luthor is the only real hero here. Luthor is the one rebuilding the buildings that Superman destroyed.
#Luthor #LuthorForPresident.

Boke1879

To be honest. Outside of forums that harp on the same bullet points. The general public is hype for it. With anything you'll see two sides of the coin. But people thinking this movie will bomb are dense.

It's crazy to see on Gaf people shitting on this movie each chance they get but hype for SS. The tone for both movies is about the same.

I honestly think it comes down to the director.

ReiGun

Naw, I frequent some other places... I sit in front of a PC all day at work...

And Twitter, I usually like to see some reactions after trailers and commercials.

And it pops up more often than one would think.

Twitter in general is actually more negative about this movie than Gaf. Though that's largely a function of there being way more people on Twitter.

Verendus

Banned

#Batman
There were three things I disliked about Man of Steel.

The first, and most major thing, was the Clark and Lois relationship. It was just executed poorly. The several rescues also became ridiculous. From a story standpoint, I think this is the biggest weakness in Man of Steel. It would've been better to not cross that line until a sequel where it doesn't feel as misplaced and rushed.

The second and third things were minor. A few too many flashbacks which didn't allow us to spend time with Clark in the present as much, and Kevin Costner's death. I thought it would've been better to give him a normal death due to illness. Simply because there are some things that even Superman should never be able to resolve, and that seems like one of them. It's more poignant and would show him the fragility of life in a very real way. But I guess that's not dramatic enough.

Other than that, I thought it was a good movie. I enjoyed it.

strafer

#Batman

It was only the one neck dude.

stop making stuff up

The first, and most major thing, was the Clark and Lois relationship. It was just executed poorly. The several rescues also became ridiculous. From a story standpoint, I think this is the biggest weakness in Man of Steel. It would've been better to not cross that line until a sequel where it doesn't feel as misplaced and rushed.

The second and third things were minor. A few too many flashbacks which didn't allow us to spend time with Clark in the present as much, and Kevin Costner's death. I thought it would've been better to give him a normal death due to illness. Simply because there are some things that even Superman should never be able to resolve, and that seems like one of them. It's more poignant and would show him the fragility of life in a very real way. But I guess that's not dramatic enough.

I agree with that.
I think it is one of the better solo movies from superheros. I rewatch all the marvel movies right now, and both Thor's suck, Iron-Man 2 sucks, 1 and 3 are okay, Captain America is okay.

The only movies that stand out for me are Captain America Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edit: Sorry, I don't wanna bash Marvel Movies here, it just how I feel about those solo movies.

a916

Definitely agree though I'd swap the dad thing with Lois. Lois felt forced, but I think Pa Kent was the biggest error in judgement. Superman, unlike other heroes, has a origin story that spans decades. Him growing up and how he grows up is so important that they need those flashback scenes.

I like the way Smallville handled it, giving the power to his father, his father dying showed him the responsibility, but there's not enough time to tell it that way.

WatchMojos Top 10 Anticipated movies released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCelDJUC7wg

10. Bourne 5
9. X-Men Apocalypse
8. Ghostbusters
7. Silence
6. Fantastic Beasts
5. Suicide Squad
4. Deadpool
3. Rogue One
2. Captain America 3
1. Batman v Superman

I don't get the hype behind cap 3. I can't help but feel it will be like AoU where it doesn't have any significant meaning to the overall plot. I would have preferred a cap solo movie with a more personal story. Squad has a unique premise, so I actually am putting that above BvS. Deadpools jokes were hit and miss for me, I don't have much hype for that either. I've never been a huge fan of the character.

No mention of Strange, hopefully they show something on that soon.

Help please. They played a new TV spot/trailer during NFL playoff game that I'd love to find online. It focused mostly on Kent/Superman. He was talking to Perry White at one point, and it ended with the confrontation where Superman tells Batman that the bat is dead.

Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

I don't get the hype behind cap 3. I can't help but feel it will be like AoU where it doesn't have any significant meaning to the overall plot. I would have preferred a cap solo movie with a more personal story. Squad has a unique premise, so I actually am putting that above BvS.

No mention of Strange, hopefully they show something on that soon.
Debut of MCU Spidey and Black Panther, and the same thrill of seeing how Batman would fight Superman, except with two teams of heroes. Still think Cap's side is completely outmatched so I'm intrigued to see how the fights go down

Help please. They played a new TV spot/trailer during NFL playoff game that I'd love to find online. It focused mostly on Kent/Superman. He was talking to Perry White at one point, and it ended with the confrontation where Superman tells Batman that the bat is dead.

Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

It was new, so it might take some time before you find it online.

Debut of MCU Spidey and Black Panther, and the same thrill of seeing how Batman would fight Superman, except with two teams of heroes. Still think Cap's side is completely outmatched so I'm intrigued to see how the fights go down

Out of those two I'm more excited for BP because we haven't seen him before. Spiderman is nothing new to me, and I don't think he has the opportunity to stand out, considered he's usually the wisecracker and he's in a group of... wisecracking guys. The bitter pill to swallow is not getting a BP movie until late 2018, I really wish it wasn't pushed back by Spiderman.

I can't imagine too much going down with their A-list actors with Infinity War just around the corner. I'm more curious about Strange.

Gotcha. Thank you. I wasn't sure if new or I just hadn't seen it. But I guess both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom