• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
Mods have changed it.

Anyway, as I wrote in this thread, I was never a big Superman fan. I found him boring as hell. But MoS was about a guy from a farm who had his first day on duty and that made me appreciate him more. Also, there are dumb scenes in MoS, but it will never be a shit movie in my eyes.

Check out Superman For All Seasons. I already loved the character, that made me love him even more.

Mods have changed it.

Anyway, as I wrote in this thread, I was never a big Superman fan. I found him boring as hell. But MoS was about a guy from a farm who had his first day on duty and that made me appreciate him more. Also, there are dumb scenes in MoS, but it will never be a shit movie in my eyes.

You should pick up American Alien when it wraps and gets collected. Been extremely strong so far, and it sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

So, my younger brother and I finished watching the Superman movies the other day. We'd seen all but the Donner Cut of Superman II before.

This is how my younger brother ranked the movies:
1. Superman: The Movie
2. Superman II (The Richard Donner Cut)
3. Man of Steel
4. Superman Returns
5. Superman II (Theatrical)
6. Superman III
7. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
I'm not sure yet if I'd rank Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut in 2nd or 3rd, but otherwise, I pretty much agree with him.

Mods have changed it.

What was the thread title before?

EDIT: The Chinese release date has been revealed:

CacJNQLUsAAsMA3.jpg

March 25th, same as in the US.

Compbros

There is no "best". This is a bullshit view that keeps marginalized and minority populations down btw.

Well best is a strong, subjective word, a woman may absolutely be the right person for those jobs and if she is then she should get hired but who's to say a guy wouldn't be better for the direction the film is going in? It's the skillset that should be looked at not "it's a 'woman' film so we need a female director, producer, writer, composer, etc.". It seems really PR-y and not genuine and that's what I disagree with. Why are they instantly looking for female directors for Captain Marvel instead of just finding the director they think works for what they want? Why are female directors not looked into for more action oriented films if they are right for the job? Making sure that a "female superhero movie" has females in the main areas of production without looking into men seems as separatist as what people advocate against.

My mindset is weird though, I'll admit. I had a similar argument about blacks in video games. I truly just want these hires to be because the person is talented enough or fits the narrative or what have you instead of "hey, we hired a woman for this!" or "hey, we've got a black character in the game!".

PBY

Banned
Well best is a strong, subjective word, a woman may absolutely be the right person for those jobs and if she is then she should get hired but who's to say a guy wouldn't be better for the direction the film is going in? It's the skillset that should be looked at not "it's a 'woman' film so we need a female director, producer, writer, composer, etc.". It seems really PR-y and not genuine and that's what I disagree with. Why are they instantly looking for female directors for Captain Marvel instead of just finding the director they think works for what they want? Why are female directors not looked into for more action oriented films if they are right for the job? Making sure that a "female superhero movie" has females in the main areas of production without looking into men seems as separatist as what people advocate against.

My mindset is weird though, I'll admit. I had a similar argument about blacks in video games. I truly just want these hires to be because the person is talented enough or fits the narrative or what have you instead of "hey, we hired a woman for this!".
Its not a "weird" mindset - a ton of people think this way. Its actually kind of a gross and dangerous mindset. Its why we can't have things like AA. Its why the Oscars are scrambling to include more diversity. Its why we don't have people of color and women in prominent roles and why these creative industries are so whitewashed.

Check out Superman For All Seasons. I already loved the character, that made me love him even more.

You should pick up American Alien when it wraps and gets collected. Been extremely strong so far, and it sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Will look into those
What was the thread title before?

EDIT: The Chinese release date has been revealed:

March 25th, same as in the US.

Nothing really, just Zack Snyder and Superman was written in caps.

That seems pretty... huge. Right?

Yes, thread worthy tbh.

Compbros

Its not a "weird" mindset - a ton of people think this way. Its actually kind of a gross and dangerous mindset. Its why we can't have things like AA. Its why the Oscars are scrambling to include more diversity. Its why we don't have people of color and women in prominent roles and why these creative industries are so whitewashed.

How is it dangerous? Hire whom you think will deliver what you want. Don't look at race, gender, or anything, just their skills. Can that Asian female deliver what you want the best out of everyone you've looked into? Yes? Then hire her. Not because it's a female film but because the skills she possesses are what you're looking for.

PBY

Banned
How is it dangerous? Hire whom you think will deliver what you want. Don't look at race, gender, or anything, just their skills. Can that Asian female deliver what you want the best out of everyone you've looked into? Yes? Then hire her. Not because it's a female film but because the skills she possesses are what you're looking for.

Don't wanna turn this thread into this discussion, but the last I'll say is this: your premise is flawed. Those "skills" aren't an objective metric, so you inevitably end up with a certain demographic getting cast/jobs/etc at a higher rate. You mentioned you had a similar discussion re: black characters in videogames - I'm sure I'd feel the same way.

Compbros

Don't wanna turn this thread into this discussion, but the last I'll say is this: your premise is flawed. Those "skills" aren't an objective metric, so you inevitably end up with a certain demographic getting cast/jobs/etc at a higher rate. You mentioned you had a similar discussion re: black characters in videogames - I'm sure I'd feel the same way.

I'd like to continue this elsewhere actually, PM or would you rather drop it?

Penguin

I swear people become stupid when it comes to this movie...

Won't link to the article, but read the headline...

The 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' soundtrack literally gives away the whole movie

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck you Cavill.

dat body, damn....that shit is almost impossible to pull off.

a916

There is no "best". This is a bullshit view that keeps marginalized and minority populations down btw.

No, it's not. It's about opportunity, as long as woman are given a shot and given equal looks as the men, the best person should win. It's that these roles and positions aren't even thought about when it comes to minorities. Are you advocating we give someone who's lesser qualified because of minorities are represented well enough?

My vote goes for Zimmer just because he's scoring the other Justice League members and I want all of this to play and form the Justice League theme.

PBY

Banned
No, it's not. It's about opportunity, as long as woman are given a shot and given equal looks as the men, the best person should win. It's that these roles and positions aren't even thought about when it comes to minorities. Are you advocating we give someone who's lesser qualified because of minorities are represented well enough?

My vote goes for Zimmer just because he's scoring the other Justice League members and I want all of this to play and form the Justice League theme.

Can we stop with the bolded? There is no such thing as an equal shot/look/opportunity in Hollywood, so that doesn't apply here.

And again, the "lesser qualified" premise is flawed. These are all inherently subjective decisions, and when you're pulling from a talent pool that is biased (read: white and/or male), there is no real way to determine who is or isn't objectively qualified for a role.

a916

Can we stop with the bolded? There is no such thing as an equal shot/look/opportunity in Hollywood, so that doesn't apply here.

And again, the "lesser qualified" premise is flawed. These are all inherently subjective decisions, and when you're pulling from a talent pool that is biased (read: white and/or male), there is no real way to determine who is or isn't objectively qualified for a role.

I don't want to drag this in another direction because this is the BvS thread... but that's the problem right here. That's the real issue. Which is what I'm advocating... can or will it be done? Yeah probably, eventually...

RSLYG

I don't want to drag this in another direction because this is the BvS thread... but that's the problem right here. That's the real issue. Which is what I'm advocating... can or will it be done? Yeah probably, eventually...

I'd like to continue this elsewhere actually, PM or would you rather drop it?

Good idea!

IconGrist

I didn't like that "She With You" track at first. Then while I was listening to it I started imagining Wonder Woman slapping Doomsday around and it worked for me.

a916

I didn't like that "She With You" track at first. Then while I was listening to it I started imagining Wonder Woman slapping Doomsday around and it worked for me.

Wait... where is that track available? I was under the impression only two snippets were released.

That opening guitar riff in the Wondy theme still blows my mind. I hope it pops up in the movie, right when she shows up.

From Collider - "Zack Snyder: Sorry, everyone who didn’t like ‘Man of Steel’—you’re not real comic book fans."

I'm gonna borrow Penguin's quote:

I swear people become stupid when it comes to this movie...

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, what do people have against Snyder? Screenjunkies do the same thing, their articles are relating to the DCEU have this sarcastic tone to as if they know it's going to be bad. Or after the AoU crap: poor Joss Whedon, I wanna give him a hug....okaaay. Good thing Collider gets called out for it. Isn't Campea in charge of that place now? He always seems aggressive for shitty journalism like this.

Think I'm going to lower my expectation: I expect the same RT% as MoS.

Snyder did Watchmen & 300. He is good in my book. MoS is decent enought. The only shit movie he made is Sucker Punch.

Also, Dawn of the Dead Remake is great.

a916

Damn, what do people have against Snyder? Screenjunkies do the same thing, their articles are relating to the DCEU have this sarcastic tone to as if they know it's going to be bad. Or after the AoU crap: poor Joss Whedon, I wanna give him a hug....okaaay. Good thing Collider gets called out for it. Isn't Campea in charge of that place now? He always seems aggressive for shitty journalism like this.

Think I'm going to lower my expectation: I expect the same RT% as MoS.

What did Collider say? I know Campea doesn't really do anything in relation to the website and stuff that Frosy takes care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom