• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
*looks closer* Now I see. Either that was a huge mistake, or it is a fake.

that's the name of the specific book in The Dark Knight Returns where Superman and Batman fight

4184P3Q9VDL._SY346_.jpg

jdouglas

I'm always a little skeptical about this when people claim Batman would win. Like, wouldn't Superman carry a live grenade with him wherever he went? Or couldn't he just set off all of the world's nuclear missiles?

http://collider.com/man-of-steel-ending-david-s-goyer-justice-league/#more-284400

Furthermore, Goyer fully expects to explore the repercussions of that decision in further films, like 2015’s Batman vs. Superman:

“Also our movie was in a way Superman Begins, he’s not really Superman until the end of the film. We wanted him to have had that experience of having taken a life and carry that through onto the next films. Because he’s Superman and because people idolise him he will have to hold himself to a higher standard.”

Goyer just needs someone to polish his work.

He needs way more than that. Man Of Steel fails on a structural and storytelling level. Go read FilmCritHulk's MoS deconstruction here. I think he really nails what it got wrong, and it's well worth a read, if you can get past the length and all-caps style of his analysis.

I think Affleck could be a great Batman, but as a fan of his directing work, I'm hoping he'll have some input into the script too.

He needs way more than that. Man Of Steel fails on a structural and storytelling level. Go read FilmCritHulk's MoS deconstruction here. I think he really nails what it got wrong, and it's well worth a read, if you can get past the length and all-caps style of his analysis.

I think Affleck could be a great Batman, but as a fan of his directing work, I'm hoping he'll have some input into the script too.
You know, I thought I could get past the all caps, but nope. Not gonna read that garbage. Especially not when it's that long.

As for Affleck, I'm sure he'll make some contributions to the script and story. He's big on comics, and Snyder is the type of director that's okay with collaborating.

Blader

Yeah, but now we know he'll likely write Justice League for sure.

eh, it was reported this summer that Goyer's three-picture deal with WB included writing Justice League.

I wonder if his "not sure" response might indicate that Affleck may be (co-)writing Justice League too?

I think I would rather use my own judgement of the f9ilm that I saw. and I what I saw was rather damn good.

JDSN

Banned
Im counting on Affleck having certain control of the script or guiding Snider on certain scenes.

"You know, I dont think Bruce should be killing so many prostitutes"

I was one of the first to scream "Nooooooo" when Affleck was first announced BUT recently i'm more keen to the idea of rethinking this, and to wait what kinda angle they want to actually present Batman from in this movie!

I mean if you think back, who would have thought Micheal Keaton of all people could be a decent choice for Batman/Bruce Wayne??

Ended up surprising a lot of people with his off beat, slightly weird take on the character and made a fine Bruce and what is probably still the best Live action Batman!

cj_iwakura

His performances in:

Hollywoodland
State of Play
Extract
To the Wonder
Argo
The Town

Are very different from his performances in

Daredevil
Paycheck
Phantoms
Reindeer Games
Jersey Girl
Changing Lanes

I'm wondering if people have watched any of the movies in the upper list beyond Argo & The Town.

He's different because he's learned how to underplay things. His characters get a chance to breathe now. The sense of artificiality that's hindered his earlier roles is greatly reduced, and in many cases, totally gone.

Basically, he's gotten REALLY good at getting out of his own way, as an actor. And it's obvious he knows this, because he's made the decision to be in movies that are more reliant on ensembles, movies that let him just be a character and not be the guy carrying all the weight. He's making those calls consciously, so that means he's got a great idea at what he's good at and what he's not so good at.

An actor with that kind of self-awareness, on top of the skill in telling stories both from a writing and directorial standpoint is a MUCH different actor than the guy in Chasing Amy getting in shouting matches with Joey Lauren Adams.

He was great in Chasing Amy, though.

It fucking annoys me to no end that entertainment press keeps calling this fucking thing Batman vs. Superman when they know that's not the title.

Getting Wonder Woman onscreen at all is cheapening her... how?

That's if Bleeding Cool has gotten an unsourced rumor right, which about 3 to 1 improbable as hell :)

Getting Wonder Woman onscreen at all is cheapening her... how?

That's if Bleeding Cool has gotten an unsourced rumor right, which about 3 to 1 improbable as hell :)

You saying Wonder Woman is already cheap, Bobby?

I feel like we've had this discussion before anyway. Which characters felt the cheapest and most throwaway in The Avengers? That's right - the ones that hadn't been characterized yet and whose chance for that had to divvied up in the limited screentime shared with the other protagonists.

WW really ought to be afforded her own film first.

You saying Wonder Woman is already cheap, Bobby?

It's hard to get cheaper than "never on a screen since Lynda Carter's show got canceled."

The idea that there's some real sense of integrity that goes into making these fucking spectacles is astounding to me. Sometimes a good story comes out of it, and that's awesome. But to use terms like "Desperate" or "Cheapening" always seems like the most misplaced terminology considering who makes these movies and why they make them.

If getting Wonder Woman into a movie at all is "desperate" or "cheap" then so be it, but we can sit around and wait for her to get her own movie (I'm talking about "her" like she actually fuckin exists, Jesus) for another three or four decades, or we can have the character get some sort of fucking foothold and on-screen presence for the first time since some people's PARENTS were born.

Very much possible, but won't get as many clicks as "Is Wonder Woman gonna be in the movie??"

So Rich doesn't even float the possibility it could be Mercy. :)

Dead

well not really...yet
The movie will benefit if they just use Batman as a character with the implication that we already know him. Just use Nolan's movies as the jumping off point and pretend TDKR never happened.

The movie will benefit if they just use Batman as a character with the implication that we already know him. Just use Nolan's movies as the jumping off point and pretend TDKR never happened.

You can use Batman as a character who's already existed without tying it into Nolan's movies. That's exactly what they're doing, in fact.

tying it into Nolan's movies, and then going so far as pretending one of those movies didn't happen? That's how you end up with something like Superman Returns.

I have no expectations for this movie whatsoever

Short of switching directors to m night shyamalan half way through I should not be able to be disappointed

Dead

well not really...yet
You can use Batman as a character who's already existed without tying it into Nolan's movies. That's exactly what they're doing, in fact.

tying it into Nolan's movies, and then going so far as pretending one of those movies didn't happen? That's how you end up with something like Superman Returns.
Well that's what I mean. Don't tie it into his universe but basically take it that audiences don't need to be reintroduced to the character because of those movies.

It's hard to get cheaper than "never on a screen since Lynda Carter's show got canceled."

The idea that there's some real sense of integrity that goes into making these fucking spectacles is astounding to me. Sometimes a good story comes out of it, and that's awesome. But to use terms like "Desperate" or "Cheapening" always seems like the most misplaced terminology considering who makes these movies and why they make them.

If getting Wonder Woman into a movie at all is "desperate" or "cheap" then so be it, but we can sit around and wait for her to get her own movie (I'm talking about "her" like she actually fuckin exists, Jesus) for another three or four decades, or we can have the character get some sort of fucking foothold and on-screen presence for the first time since some people's PARENTS were born.

You misunderstand me. I'm talking cheap in terms of how valuable Wonder Woman is as a property. Whilst a Wonder Woman standalone film might not set the box office world on fire, I'm betting it would be worth more than after she gets little to no screentime in an ensemble film, given that she's at least a known property.

Quoted for truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom