• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

If you want to see what this f***ing suit looks like, you just go to Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns”, go to the third book, Hunt the Dark Knight…it’s the exact f***ing outfit he’s wearing. That’s why I hugged that guy all those months ago.”
r0L9VAc.jpg

8k8rBtJ.jpg

What's he's trying to say is... It's grey.

I dunno. I'm pretty sure that's Jim Lee. I remember hearing that Kevin Smith got to look at the suit early and I guess he told people on his blog that people are going to cum buckets or something because it looks just like the Jim Lee suit.

BadAss2961

I dunno. I'm pretty sure that's Jim Lee. I remember hearing that Kevin Smith got to look at the suit early and I guess he told people on his blog that people are going to cum buckets or something because it looks just like the Jim Lee suit.
It's Miller.

Jim Lee worked with Miller for the goddamn Batman -- greatest ever.

lawful

Banned

The deception is real folks.

I do wonder now where he got originally got Jim Lee from. I don't think he'd just make it up.

He never said Jim Lee. It was always something one fan guessed at, and every other fan just ran with it as if it HAD to be the correct guess.

Why everyone guessed Jim Lee based on Smith's response, even when Snyder himself told us he was looking at Dark Knight Returns for inspiration, I don't know.

It was never Jim Lee. We just convinced ourselves it was based on... nothing.

He never said Jim Lee. It was always something one fan guessed at, and every other fan just ran with it as if it HAD to be the correct guess.

Why everyone guessed Jim Lee based on Smith's response, even when Snyder himself told us he was looking at Dark Knight Returns for inspiration, I don't know.

Remember when Smith first mentioned seeing the costume? The part where he mentioned what it was inspired by got bleeped out. Some people got convinced it was Jim because "the length of the bleep was short, so it lines up with 'Jim Lee'".

I swear to you, this was used as reasoning.

Loxley

While I don't hate it as much as I used to, I still dislike Superman's New 52 design. The armor-aesthetic is straight out of the 90's, the belt's design is laughable (and again, straight out of the 90's), and hey, the 90's called - they want their future-tech boots back :p The suit looked good in Justice League War, and it was almost entirely because they ditched the majority of the patterning on the costume and adjusted the shape of the belt to look more sleek.

This fan redesign remains my favorite so far. It's not perfect, I think it could afford to lose the seams going down the arms, but overall I find it to be a more well-executed "modern" look for Superman.

ri0dGUY.jpg

BadAss2961

You're right. Rumors swirled out of control to the point where everyone forgot he just said that it was unlike the other movie costumes. lol

In hindsight, the answer was staring us in the face the whole time since they showed the logo.
While I don't hate it as much as I used to, I still dislike Superman's New 52 design. The armor-aesthetic is straight out of the 90's, the belt's design is laughable (and again, straight out of the 90's), and hey, the 90's called - they want their future-tech boots back :p The suit looked good in Justice League War, and it was almost entirely because they ditched the majority of the patterning on the costume and adjusted the shape of the belt to look more sleek.

This fan redesign remains my favorite so far. It's not perfect, I think it could afford to lose the seams going down the arms, but overall I find it to be a more well-executed "modern" look for Superman.

ri0dGUY.jpg

Looks like a pseudo-vampire show's version of Superman. His face even looks like Bill from True Blood.

Now we're measuring beep lengths. The thirst is real.

If you guys could watch 1 unmade DC property (superman lives, miller league, Batman/Superman etc) what would it be?

BadAss2961

Now we're measuring beep lengths. The thirst is real.

If you guys could watch 1 unmade DC property (superman lives, miller league, Batman/Superman etc) what would it be?
miller league?

I wouldn't want to watch any of them, not even out of curiosity. All the cancelled projects sound like disasters that we're very lucky never happened.

miller league?

I wouldn't want to watch any of them, not even out of curiosity. All the cancelled projects sound like disasters that we're very lucky never happened.

George Millers - Justice League. Was days away from shooting in 2007

I'll expand a bit

SUPERMAN LIVES - Directed By Tim Burton - Starring Nic Cage - Superman squares off against polar bears, giant spiders - CAN'T FLY - and has a wise-cracking, gay (?) midget robot.

SUPERMAN: FLYBY - Written maybe directed by J.J Abrams - An 'exciting' reboot of Superman. Krypton still exists, is in civial war. Superman dies and Jor El's kills himself by stabbing himself in the stomach to tell Superman he can't die in Krypton Heaven.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE - Directed by Darren Afronsky - Bruce is homeless after his parents are killed. Alfred is an african-american called "Little Al" who runs an auto-repair shop and trains Bruce.

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT - Directed By Joel Schumacher - Starring George Clooney - Batman squares off against Scarecrow. The Joker would return as a hallucination in Batman's mind caused by the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Harley Quinn appeared as a supporting character, written as the Joker's daughter trying to get revenge on Batman for the Joker's death. Schumacher wanted Nicholas Cage or Jeff Goldblum for Scarcrow and Madonna for Harley. Jack Nicholson would cameo as The Joker.

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN - Starring Christian Bale and Josh Hartnett - Batman is retired and about to get married. After his wife is killed, Superman warns him about the dangers of revenge. Joker is resurrected by Lex Luthor.

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE - Directed by George Miller - Starring Armie Hammer, DJ Cortana, Adam Brody etc - Based loosely on The Tower of Babel, and hinting that its post the events of the Nolanverse (it mentions Ras losing) Batman in his paranoid self sets up a satillete system to keep an eye on the Justice League and document their weaknesses. But somebody else has other plans...

SUPERMAN RETURNS 2 - DIrected by Bryan Singer - Starring Brandon Routh - Singer described this as his "Wrath of Khan" and would have centered around Brainiac who would have originally been from Krypton. He would have followed Superman back to Earth from the remnants of Krypton during his five year trip. Also, the bank robber who shot Superman in the eye around the middle of the first film would turn out to be John Corben, a.k.a. Metallo for the sequel.

Someone of these details are probably totally wrong but you get a rough idea.

YOU CAN ONLY WATCH ONE, ONE TIME.

George Miller's Justice League would be the one I'd pick - if only because a) it would have proven you can have a superhero team-up movie without having to apply The Marvel Formula (TM) and b) it was a huge love letter to Flash, both Barry AND Wally.

The script was posted earlier in the thread - I suggest everyone here give it a read-through. They cast WAY too young for it, but I can't imagine it wouldn't have played anyway. I also thought, with the intro, that the discussions of doing it mo-cap CGI in Alex Ross' style made PERFECT sense as an option, as well.

SUPERMAN LIVES - Directed By Tim Burton - Starring Nic Cage - Superman squares off against polar bears, giant spiders - CAN'T FLY - and has a wise-cracking, gay (?) midget robot.

rJSQjft.gif

SUPERMAN: FLYBY - Written maybe directed by J.J Abrams - An 'exciting' reboot of Superman. Krypton still exists, is in civial war. Superman dies and Jor El's kills himself by stabbing himself in the stomach to tell Superman he can't die in Krypton Heaven.

rJSQjft.gif
rJSQjft.gif

BATMAN: YEAR ONE - Directed by Darren Afronsky - Bruce is homeless after his parents are killed. Alfred is an african-american called "Little Al" who runs an auto-repair shop and trains Bruce.

rJSQjft.gif
rJSQjft.gif
rJSQjft.gif

Frank Miller helped write that Year One script, too. Crazy/Drunk/Awful Frank Miller rewriting/adapting one of the last of his lucid and decent comics.

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT - Directed By Joel Schumacher - Starring George Clooney - Batman squares off against Scarecrow. The Joker would return as a hallucination in Batman's mind caused by the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Harley Quinn appeared as a supporting character, written as the Joker's daughter trying to get revenge on Batman for the Joker's death.

This is the one that would have had Nicholson coming back as Joker right?

I must admit, I would've loved to have seen that...

The script was posted earlier in the thread - I suggest everyone here give it a read-through. They cast WAY too young for it, but I can't imagine it wouldn't have played anyway. I also thought, with the intro, that the discussions of doing it mo-cap CGI in Alex Ross' style made PERFECT sense as an option, as well.

Yeah its my pick too. I haven't read through it yet but a lot of sites say its actually very strong. I really liked the inclusion of the themed cafe (from Kingdom Come first?) would really help alleviate some of that 'heaviness' DC to seem to have associated with the brand. Very meta, but I have a feeling Whedon will get their first in the next Avengers.

Have you ever flicked through the Art of Alex Ross book? Theres a forward by M. Night Shyamalan. Everyone shits on the guy, but he does an awesome reading of this picture:

UuNTLNel.jpg

I think he would have done a really good Superman/Justice League flick.

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT - Directed By Joel Schumacher - Starring George Clooney - Batman squares off against Scarecrow. The Joker would return as a hallucination in Batman's mind caused by the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Harley Quinn appeared as a supporting character, written as the Joker's daughter trying to get revenge on Batman for the Joker's death.

I remember reading about this on Dark Horizons back in the day. I was excited to see Scarecrow on film (esp. with Nicholson's Joker coming back as a hallucination), but not under Schumacher's direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom