• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Millers - Justice League. Was days away from shooting in 2007

I'll expand a bit

SUPERMAN LIVES - Directed By Tim Burton - Starring Nic Cage - Superman squares off against polar bears, giant spiders - CAN'T FLY - and has a wise-cracking, gay (?) midget robot.

SUPERMAN: FLYBY - Written maybe directed by J.J Abrams - An 'exciting' reboot of Superman. Krypton still exists, is in civial war. Superman dies and Jor El's kills himself by stabbing himself in the stomach to tell Superman he can't die in Krypton Heaven.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE - Directed by Darren Afronsky - Bruce is homeless after his parents are killed. Alfred is an african-american called "Little Al" who runs an auto-repair shop and trains Bruce.

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT - Directed By Joel Schumacher - Starring George Clooney - Batman squares off against Scarecrow. The Joker would return as a hallucination in Batman's mind caused by the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Harley Quinn appeared as a supporting character, written as the Joker's daughter trying to get revenge on Batman for the Joker's death. Schumacher wanted Nicholas Cage or Jeff Goldblum for Scarcrow and Madonna for Harley. Jack Nicholson would cameo as The Joker.

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN - Starring Christian Bale and Josh Hartnett - Batman is retired and about to get married. After his wife is killed, Superman warns him about the dangers of revenge. Joker is resurrected by Lex Luthor.

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE - Directed by George Miller - Starring Armie Hammer, DJ Cortana, Adam Brody etc - Based loosely on The Tower of Babel, and hinting that its post the events of the Nolanverse (it mentions Ras losing) Batman in his paranoid self sets up a satillete system to keep an eye on the Justice League and document their weaknesses. But somebody else has other plans...

SUPERMAN RETURNS 2 - DIrected by Bryan Singer - Starring Brandon Routh - Singer described this as his "Wrath of Khan" and would have centered around Brainiac who would have originally been from Krypton. He would have followed Superman back to Earth from the remnants of Krypton during his five year trip. Also, the bank robber who shot Superman in the eye around the middle of the first film would turn out to be John Corben, a.k.a. Metallo for the sequel.

Someone of these details are probably totally wrong but you get a rough idea.

YOU CAN ONLY WATCH ONE, ONE TIME.

You forgot the OG Batman Vs. Superman directed by Wolfgang Peterson.

Penguin

Probably known already but during announcement of the title and stuff seems Warner/DC acknowledged that Terrio is the lead writer of the film.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”is written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

ReiGun

Thank god they cast a star big enough that he could refuse to work with a Goyer script.

I like to imagine Affleck walked into the office for his first meeting, laughed after reading the script, and immediately got Terrio on the phone. When Goyer tried to object, Ben just pointed at his Oscars and continued with his call.

I like to imagine Affleck walked into the office for his first meeting, laughed after reading the script, and immediately got Terrio on the phone. When Goyer tried to object, Ben just pointed at his Oscars and continued with his call.

Goyer came in one day and found a post-it note with "You're a monster, Goyer, and I'm going to stop you. --From Batman" on it.

Dahbomb

Name sucks but really... they could've left it nameless with just the logo and it would've done well.

They are really hammering in the point that this is a prelude to Justice League. Definitely not Man of Steel 2.

Penguin

This is how I'm gonna picture it now... Actually

I always imagine Goyer movies the same way

He hands in a script and they tell him going to use it with some edits... and just drop it in the trash when he leaves

Mario007

He hands in a script and they tell him going to use it with some edits... and just drop it in the trash when he leaves
Well Goyer is a great ideas man. You can't fault him for that. In fact I'd be pretty happy if he's involved with DC properties as long as there is another writter adapting the story.

EDIT: Btw is BvS the first superhero movie with a writer that won an Oscar?

ReiGun

Dude's still in meetings going "But...I made Blade..."

Goyer really needs someone to collab with. I'm sure whatever ideas he left for Terrio to work with are great, but not having him write the actual script is a good move. In the case of Man of Steel, I think there was also an issue of Goyer being the wrong match for the material. I think he understands what makes Superman work to some degree, but it's just a complete mismatch for his tendencies and inclinations as a writer.

Mario007

Dude's still in meetings going "But...I made Blade..."

Goyer really needs someone to collab with. I'm sure whatever ideas he left for Terrio to work with are great, but not having him write the actual script is a good move. In the case of Man of Steel, I think there was also an issue of Goyer being the wrong match for the material. I think he understands what makes Superman work to some degree, but it's just a complete mismatch for his tendencies and inclinations as a writer.
Well for MoS he said he was basically writting a first contact movie, which is a great interpretation of Supes origin, but he has never really written anything sci-fi. In fact, the best of works are much more grounded like Blade and the Dark Knigh Trilogy (where he also only provided ideas).

Like I said in this article: It doesn't really matter what it's called. Nobody goes to a movie to watch the title.

The logo's doing all the heavy-lifting, regardless.

EDIT: Btw is BvS the first superhero movie with a writer that won an Oscar?

Nope. Although most of his work was rewritten by Tom Mankiewicz, "Superman: The Movie" was partially written by Mario Puzo, who won an Oscar for The Godfather and The Godfather Pt. II.

Also, it happened AFTER his movies, but Akiva Goldsman (Batman Forever, Batman & Robin) is an Oscar-winning screenwriter, too.

Spider-Man 2 is the only superhero movie written by a guy who won a Pulitzer, though.

Mario007

Like I said in this article: It doesn't really matter what it's called. Nobody goes to a movie to watch the title.

The logo's doing all the heavy-lifting, regardless.

Nope. Although most of his work was rewritten by Tom Mankiewicz, "Superman: The Movie" was partially written by Mario Puzo, who won an Oscar for The Godfather and The Godfather Pt. II.

Also, it happened AFTER his movies, but Akiva Goldsman (Batman Forever, Batman & Robin) is an Oscar-winning screenwriter, too.

Spider-Man 2 is the only superhero movie written by a guy who won a Pulitzer, though.
Cool, so basically two superman movies written by Oscar winners but this is really the closest we get to an Oscar writter writting a superhero movie. That's nice.

jtb

Banned
getting Chabon to write Spiderman 2 was a very inspired move. I have no idea how much, if any, influence he had on the final script but whichever exec approved that deserves a raise. Kavalier and Clay is a good book.

Wiktor

Jim Lee has drawn more than one version of Batman

the pseudo prequel to Dark Knight Returns

2179509-all_star_bat3cold.jpeg

This comic was so awesome. Would love to see it at least animated. Asshole psychotic Bats was just a riot.

Jonogunn

I think the title is great for the general audience. They know superman and batman to be good guys. It probably blows their minds and increases their interest when they see that they are up against each other.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think the title is great for the general audience. They know superman and batman to be good guys. It probably blows their minds and increases their interest when they see that they are up against each other.
Never thought about this angle. Good point. Either way, it's a title. Makes no difference to me. I'm there day one!

Mario007

I just mean set pics of the suits, Batmobile, etc.
I expected them to reveal the Batsuit literally the day before they expected pics to get out.
Well we kinda saw the Batsuit and Batmobile already. I hope we'll get to see WW in costume soon and then finally the modified Superman Costume.

Well we kinda saw the Batsuit and Batmobile already. I hope we'll get to see WW in costume soon and then finally the modified Superman Costume.
I still want to see the color of the suit though, and the Batmobile driving around Detroit will be awesome.

Superman we should probably see soon, Wonder Woman they will draw out for so long imo.

IconGrist

I still want to see the color of the suit though, and the Batmobile driving around Detroit will be awesome.

Superman we should probably see soon, Wonder Woman they will draw out for so long imo.

The last two weeks we got a Batsuit/mobile reveal and the official title. Here's hoping we get something next week.

I imagine the modified Superman suit will be shown next. With Wonder Woman possibly at SDCC.

DaveH

I think it's brilliant that they grey-scaled the reveal and hope they continue with that trend for the other two initial reveals. I can't believe how much boring speculative discussion and impassioned fury can be generated by color palette. This far out, I don't want there to be six months of "Brighter!", "No, darker!", "Here are my modified versions no one cares about!" until the next tidbit of news. By grey-scaling, most of the discussion has been about the design itself and it lets everyone imagine their preferred palette for now.

Of course, that discussion eventually needs to be had, but I hope it gets quickly supplanted by more salient stuff, so that's why I'm hoping for a colored version later when they have more to show and drown out that stuff.

Penguin

Probably old news, but re-read their presser.
Plans to shoot in Africa and South Pacific, curious what setpieces could be for

Principal photography will take place on location at Michigan Motion Picture Studios and on location in and around Detroit, Michigan; Illinois; Africa; and the South Pacific.

Well for MoS he said he was basically writting a first contact movie, which is a great interpretation of Supes origin, but he has never really written anything sci-fi. In fact, the best of works are much more grounded like Blade and the Dark Knigh Trilogy (where he also only provided ideas).

He wrote the script for Batman Begins. I read it a year before the movie came out, and it's almost identical to the final picture, aside from Bruce willing to give up the mantle for Rachel at the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom