• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
I do wish in MoS they had a scene where the Kryptonians discover their powers and experiment.

Here they just...expected them, if you know what I mean?

There's no scene of "HOLY SHIT, we have super strength!"

Yeah, the only indication of them understanding their powers was with Zod acclimating to Earth's environment before meeting with Jor-El the final time.

I do wish in MoS they had a scene where the Kryptonians discover their powers and experiment.

Here they just...expected them, if you know what I mean?

There's no scene of "HOLY SHIT, we have super strength!"

I think it would've been cool if Superman and the rest of the kryptonians were at golden age levels for a good chunk (leap tall buildings etc) and Superman was the the first one to fly, or something like that

Would Zod and his crew not have experienced planets like that before? They had tried to terraform other planets, had spaceships and they were an army.

KalBalboa

Banned
Would Zod and his crew not have experienced planets like that before? They had tried to terraform other planets, had spaceships and they were an army.

I think the idea is that Earth's atmosphere was "pure" enough to be terraformed. Zod 'n company never found a planet hospitable enough prior.

In real life we know the answer, but who knows if Kryptonians ever encountered other planets with an atmosphere similar to Earth. Ours might be the only one like it (in the movie universe :p)

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I think the idea is that Earth's atmosphere was "pure" enough to be terraformed. Zod 'n company never found a planet hospitable enough prior.

bullshit they would be super powered they could've went to mars and did whatever they needed to do with their world engine.

jett

D-Member

Here's the thing though.

Aliens getting super powers from the Sun is just fucking retarded and will never make sense. Just gotta roll with crap like that.

Penguin

Here's the thing though.

Aliens getting super powers from the Sun is just fucking retarded and will never make sense. Just gotta roll with crap like that.

I think because his original origin, the Earth's difference in gravity, only explained ability to jump/fly and not the rest

DaveH

bullshit they would be super powered they could've went to mars and did whatever they needed to do with their world engine.
They also could have restarted the Krypotian species simply through mating and natural birth, but they were hardwired and eugenically programmed with a narrow view of what constituted Krypton. If natural birth was heresy, what makes you think his vision of Krypton included a people of superhuman beings who could rise up against his rule at any time?

As for believing mars could be terraformed... did you see any other successfully terraformed outposts? Why would thousands of scout ships be necessary if any planet could be successfully terraformed? Do you think Krypton would have cared about its own destruction if it was easy to find another viable planet? A rag-tag band of escaped convicts were able to gather a world engine and were nomads through the galaxy for 33 years... if all it took was the will to terraform, do you think they would have wandered for 33 years? You don't think the council wouldn't have just set up a viable place to go to?

The film shows itself that the parameters of terraforming are far more selective.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Jor El's "For one-hundred thousand years, our civilization florished, accomplishing wonders."

Jesus fucking christ.

100,000 years?!

Does Goyer know how ridiculously long a time period that is?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Jor El's "For one-hundred thousand years, our civilization florished, accomplishing wonders."

Jesus fucking christ.

100,000 years?!

We've been around for a few million years dude. And we accomplished GAF. And burgers in a can.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
They also could have restarted the Krypotian species simply through mating and natural birth, but they were hardwired and eugenically programmed with a narrow view of what constituted Krypton. If natural birth was heresy, what makes you think his vision of Krypton included a people of superhuman beings who could rise up against his rule at any time?

As for believing mars could be terraformed... did you see any other successfully terraformed outposts? Why would thousands of scout ships be necessary if any planet could be successfully terraformed? Do you think Krypton would have cared about its own destruction if it was easy to find another viable planet? A rag-tag band of escaped convicts were able to gather a world engine and were nomads through the galaxy for 33 years... if all it took was the will to terraform, do you think they would have wandered for 33 years? You don't think the council wouldn't have just set up a viable place to go to?

The film shows itself that the parameters of terraforming are far more selective.

none of that matters they get their power from our star. they can exist anywhere they get radiation from it, they dont need a perfect candidate just solar radiation. There were 30 or so kryptonians who is going to rise up against Zod? Why would you think they would find our star anywhere else but where it is? Its just bad writing, superman got his power back and was in outer space with his shit, if he can survive that and going into the atmosphere. They can colonize mars they dont need nourishment like we do, they get it from solar radiation. Shit idea is more likely the culprit here. No one even cares about the terraform, and to be honest i think many question terraforming. Why the fuck would you do that? Kryptonians without their power were formidable because they had resources. They would've effectively had none if their plan worked and became normal. Then proceeded to get tactically struck by a submarine. If that was Superman in MoS he just need the sun it was the difference in stars that made kryptonians so powerful.

MisterHero

Here's the thing though.

maybe superman has awesome chloroplasts

what if humans develop the ability to feed from sunlight rather than get cancer

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Jor El's "For one-hundred thousand years, ouknow thidcivilization florished, accomplishing wonders."

Jesus fucking christ.

100,000 years?!

This is mere blip in geological time, let alone for a space faring civ with advanced technology. Come on mate, you know this.

DaveH

none of that matters they get their power from our star. they can exist anywhere they get radiation from it, they dont need a perfect candidate just solar radiation. There were 30 or so kryptonians who is going to rise up against Zod? Why would you think they would find our star anywhere else but where it is? Its just bad writing, superman got his power back and was in outer space with his shit, if he can survive that and going into the atmosphere. They can colonize mars they dont need nourishment like we do, they get it from solar radiation. Shit idea is more likely the culprit here. No one even cares about the terraform, and to be honest i think many question terraforming. Why the fuck would you do that? Kryptonians without their power were formidable because they had resources. They would've effectively had none if their plan worked and became normal. Then proceeded to get tactically struck by a submarine. If that was Superman in MoS he just need the sun it was the difference in stars that made kryptonians so powerful.
Terrible comprehension on your part.

Was Zod's mission to rule over 30 Kryptonians? Hardly.

If Zod had embraced the idea of superhuman Kryptonians, why not stow the World Engine on the moon and ferry Kryptonians to Earth? He trusted a grand total of three Kryptonians- including himself- to be superhuman.

Your entire premise is flawed.

Terrible comprehension on your part.

Was Zod's mission to rule over 30 Kryptonians? Hardly.

If Zod had embraced the idea of superhuman Kryptonians, why not stow the World Engine on the moon and ferry Kryptonians to Earth? He trusted a grand total of three Kryptonians- including himself- to be superhuman.

Your entire premise is flawed.

You do realize that every single Kryptonian had powers, no? "Trusted" with powers? You make it sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Jor-El and even Lara would have superpowers if they had come to earth. Why? Simply because they are Kryptonian.

You do realize that every single Kryptonian had powers, no? "Trusted" with powers? You make it sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Jor-El and even Lara would have superpowers if they had come to earth. Why? Simply because they are Kryptonian.

Eh... I wouldn't go as far as to say everyone had the powers from the get go. The El's knew that the yellow sun gave Kryptonians unique powers, so it could be assumed it was common knowledge in their society. I also wouldn't say Kal-El was "trusted" with the powers, so much as they knew he would survive and become stronger in our environment. Jor-El knew it would make him different from humans, but hoped it would be to our benefit. So, not so much gifted the powers, but he was trusted to use them well.

We have no idea (in this universe) what planets with a yellow sun were livable to a Kryptonian. Ours might have been the only one.

DaveH

You do realize that every single Kryptonian had powers, no?
No.

Lois kicks a Kryptonian off with human strength and downs several Kryptonians with small arms fire (whereas, Superman, hit with the same anti-vehicle cannon that blows up the ship that was going to down his ship as an infant, is stunned only seconds).

The Kryptonians on the ship weren't powered. It would be incongruent for Jax-Ur to have said, "Here on this ship, you are as weak as a human." if all the other Kryptonians on the ship were powered.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I have question for your comic book geeks. :)

Is there a comic were Superman goes nuts and kills people?

Not Superman, but there's a series that begins with that premise. Very recommended, too.

wD4rGwk.jpg

DaveH

I have question for your comic book geeks. :)

Is there a comic were Superman goes nuts and kills people?
That seems to be everyone else's take on the character... Hyperion, Supreme, Irredeemable (Plutonian), Invincible (Omni-Man), Sentry, etc.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No.

Lois kicks a Kryptonian off with human strength and downs several Kryptonians with small arms fire (whereas, Superman, hit with the same anti-vehicle cannon that blows up the ship that was going to down his ship as an infant, is stunned only seconds).

The Kryptonians on the ship weren't powered. It would be incongruent for Jax-Ur to have said, "Here on this ship, you are as weak as a human." if all the other Kryptonians on the ship were powered.

I think he meant that all Kryptionians had the potential to gain powers simply because they are Kryptionian. Zod comes in contact with Earths atmosphere and gains abilities almost immediately, it was too much for him to handle as seen in the film. On the ship they were all shielded to those effects and as such are like as they would be on their own planet, normal non-powered and pretty much the same as Humans.

No.

That's because the ship had kryptonian atmosphere not earths. That's why they didn't have powers. The ship blocked the radiation of the sun that gave them powers. Jor el modified to earth so Lois could breath. By the time the kryptonian would've gained their strength by absorbing radiation Lois was already off the ship. Clark got his powers back damn near instantly because he, as Zod outright says, adapted to earth for decades while they have only been there for a day or two at best.

DaveH

I think he meant that all Kryptionians had the potential to gain powers simply because they are Kryptionian. Zod comes in contact with Earths atmosphere and gains abilities almost immediately, it was too much for him to handle as seen in the film. On the ship they were all shielded to those effects and as such are like as they would be on their own planet, normal non-powered and pretty much the same as Humans.
Potential is meaningless if unrealized which is my point. Zod only allowed select Kryptonians to be in the field and breath Earth's atmosphere prior to terraforming.

Once the atmosphere was terraformed, he'd still be in command of the military no matter how many Kryptonians they brought back. Whereas if they tried to bring back Krypton under a yellow sun and Earth's atmosphere, he could rule only with his fists (their military tech couldn't even stop one untrained farmboy, much less an entire population of superhuman Kryptonians). Zod's eugenically programmed view of Krypton required a certain order and structure which could only be realized with the Codex and unpowered Kryptonians. Assuming he could have went with a powered society ignores the fact he didn't and wouldn't go with natural birth to restart society either.

DaveH

Clark got his powers back damn near instantly because he, as Zod outright says, adapted to earth for decades while they have only been there for a day or two at best.
No, Clark got his powers back because AI Jor-El changed the ships atmospherics to match Earth's. It's why Lois takes off the helmet and why the Kryptonian pursuing her has one on inside the ship. By the time we return to the ship, the atmospherics have been restored, which is why Jax-Ur and company aren't wearing helmets when they "Release the World Engine!"

Again, irrespective of potential, Zod only trusted select Kryptonians to breath Earth-empowering atmosphere. Had his plan gone into fruition no other Kryptonians would have been powered.

T'Zariah

Banned
Potential is meaningless if unrealized which is my point. Zod only allowed select Kryptonians to be in the field and breath Earth's atmosphere prior to terraforming.

Once the atmosphere was terraformed, he'd still be in command of the military no matter how many Kryptonians they brought back. Whereas if they tried to bring back Krypton under a yellow sun and Earth's atmosphere, he could rule only with his fists (their military tech couldn't even stop one untrained farmboy, much less an entire population of superhuman Kryptonians). Zod's eugenically programmed view of Krypton required a certain order and structure which could only be realized with the Codex and unpowered Kryptonians. Assuming he could have went with a powered society ignores the fact he didn't and wouldn't go with natural birth to restart society either.

What the actual fuck?

Did we watch two different movies?

You're making conjectures that are absolutely baseless.

EVERY Kryptonian had powers. Period. Point fucking blank. Zod had no control, because they being Kryptonian would absorb radiation. NOWHERE in the movie was it even CLOSE to being implied, let alone outright stated that Zod only "allowed" Faora and Na'mek to be superhuman (what the fuck?!)

You're spewing fucking bullshit to the Nth degree.

DaveH

What the actual fuck?

Did we watch two different movies?

You're making conjectures that are absolutely baseless.

EVERY Kryptonian had powers. Period. Point fucking blank. Zod had no control, because they being Kryptonian would absorb radiation. NOWHERE in the movie was it even CLOSE to being implied, let alone outright stated that Zod only "allowed" Faora and Na'mek to be superhuman (what the fuck?!)

You're spewing fucking bullshit to the Nth degree.
Terrible reading... and watching.... comprehension.

We have proof the other Kryptonians didn't have powers. If they did, Lois couldn't have kicked one off or killed several with a mere handgun. Only those Kryptonians allowed into the field had powers, because they had breathed Earth's atmosphere (Jax-Ur says as much to Kal-El, "The strength you derive from Earth's Sun has be neutralized aboard our ship. Here, in this environment, you're as weak as a human." Ridiculous to say if all the Kryptonians were powered on the ship.)

Zod was not OK with every Kryptonian having powers. If he was, there was no need to terraform Earth or use the World Engine. He could have ferried Kryptonians to Earth and let them conquer and destroy that way.

He didn't do that.

Rather, he allowed about three Kryptonians to be in the field, then, after asking whether Kal-El needed to be alive to retrieve the Codex, set in motion the World Engine... the clear implication being that the World Engine may or might kill Kal-El because he would have been powerless, just like all the other Kryptonians would be on a terraformed environment, just like all the Kryptonians were on the ship with Kryptonian atmospherics.

IconGrist

Terrible reading... and watching.... comprehension.

We have proof the other Kryptonians didn't have powers. If they did, Lois couldn't have kicked one off or killed several with a mere handgun. Only those Kryptonians allowed into the field had powers, because they had breathed Earth's atmosphere (Jax-Ur says as much to Kal-El, "The strength you derive from Earth's Sun has be neutralized aboard our ship. Here, in this environment, you're as weak as a human." Ridiculous to say if all the Kryptonians were powered on the ship.)

Zod was not OK with every Kryptonian having powers. If he was, there was no need to terraform Earth or use the World Engine. He could have ferried Kryptonians to Earth and let them conquer and destroy that way.

He didn't do that.

Rather, he allowed about three Kryptonians to be in the field, then, after asking whether Kal-El needed to be alive to retrieve the Codex, set in motion the World Engine... the clear implication being that the World Engine may or might kill Kal-El because he would have been powerless, just like all the other Kryptonians would be on a terraformed environment, just like all the Kryptonians were on the ship with Kryptonian atmospherics.

You are aware you just said what he said, right? Neither of you are wrong. The person he was replying to was suggesting Zod chose for Faora and Nam-Ek to have powers rather than it just be a side effect of being exposed to our atmosphere/sun.

DaveH

You are aware you just said what he said, right? Neither of you are wrong. The person he was replying to was suggesting Zod chose for Faora and Nam-Ek to have powers rather than it just be a side effect of being exposed to our atmosphere/sun.
He was replying to me and both you and he interpreted that wrong. Kryptonians knew what to expect when coming to Earth. Jor-El told Lara that Kal-El would be unkillable. When Clark is choking on Zod's ship, Zod calmly explains what's happening. When Faora first alights onto the Kent farm, she superjumps with the expectation of power.

So Zod understands the environment is providing the power. Zod is also the one who selects who amongst his minions get access to the environment, before pulling the switch to permanently alter it to state that will- as Jax-Ur says- "neutralize" those powers.

If Zod was OK with them all having powers, they could have landed in the arctic, all gotten out, breathed deeply, and conquered the planet. Zod wasn't OK with that and specifically limited his crew's exposure to Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom