• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
http://www.superherohype.com/news/310287-comic-con-exclusive-guillermo-del-toro-on-dcs-dark-universe

So WB/DC absolutely intend to keep all TV and movies separate. I see a lot of fans getting pissy about that.

Eh, view it this way.

Guy like Amell works nine months a year on Arrow, 16-17 hours days. Is it REALLY fair to ask him to spend his summer break shooting Justice League films?

Not to mention it restricts what Arrow, Flash and Constantine can do because now they'll be told 'oh, you can't use Deathstroke because we need him for Batman.' So they'll have to tailor around films not out for years.

ReiGun

Eh, view it this way.

Guy like Amell works nine months a year on Arrow, 16-17 hours days. Is it REALLY fair to ask him to spend his summer break shooting Justice League films?

Not to mention it restricts what Arrow, Flash and Constantine can do because now they'll be told 'oh, you can't use Deathstroke because we need him for Batman.' So they'll have to tailor around films not out for years.

Oh no, I totally get it. But there's definitely a contingent of fans that demand continuity between movies and TV because of the Marvel approach to all this, and those types aren't going to like hearing DC Ent. isn't heading in the same direction.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh no, I totally get it. But there's definitely a contingent of fans that demand continuity between movies and TV because of the Marvel approach to all this, and those types aren't going to like hearing DC Ent. isn't heading in the same direction.

Well, a LOT of people were very critical of how AoS was handled early on. No name characters, minimal connections to MCU, etc. And it took a while for that to feel like an MCU show.

I get your point, but the audience they're going for (mainstream) with the films just views them as singular entities. Flash and Arrow feel like more cult shows, whereas Gotham/Constantine are being aimed more at a mainstream, non-comic fan.

tim1138

DC should just assign them different Earth designations and have them be part of the Multiverse.

Ahasverus

In 2 mins

448.jpg

ReiGun

Well, a LOT of people were very critical of how AoS was handled early on. No name characters, minimal connections to MCU, etc. And it took a while for that to feel like an MCU show.

I get your point, but the audience they're going for (mainstream) with the films just views them as singular entities. Flash and Arrow feel like more cult shows, whereas Gotham/Constantine are being aimed more at a mainstream, non-comic fan.
Absolutely. From a logistics standpoint, it would have been a nightmare. Not impossible, but certainly difficult and I guess AoS was enough for WB/DC to figure it wasn't worth it when they already had a good thing going with Arrow.

I think mainstream audiences won't give a damn, which makes all the handwringing some fans do about what they will or won't understand hilarious. It's like "Dudes and dudettes, I promise you that you are the only ones concerned about this shit."

Still, I expect several tweets and pop culture think pieces about how DC not going for Marvel's cross medium continuity is a mistake and why they're going to fail and blah blah.

DC should just assign them different Earth designations and have them be part of the Multiverse.

That would be the best way to appease the hardcore fans. The movie-verse is Earth Prime, Arrowverse is Earth 1, and so on for Gotham and Constantine and whatever else they come out with.

That would be the best way to appease the hardcore fans. The movie-verse is Earth Prime, Arrowverse is Earth 1, and so on for Gotham and Constantine and whatever else they come out with.
If they make the multiverse thing official, it would still create the expectation of a crossover :/

manual4

Banned
Absolutely. From a logistics standpoint, it would have been a nightmare. Not impossible, but certainly difficult and I guess AoS was enough for WB/DC to figure it wasn't worth it when they already had a good thing going with Arrow.

I think mainstream audiences won't give a damn, which makes all the handwringing some fans do about what they will or won't understand hilarious. It's like "Dudes and dudettes, I promise you that you are the only ones concerned about this shit."

Still, I expect several tweets and pop culture think pieces about how DC not going for Marvel's cross medium continuity is a mistake and why they're going to fail and blah blah.

that is so stupid, needing some sort of label to make them feel good. Keep it the way it is and ignore whiners.

"The WB panel has begun with the curtains drawing back to reveal THREE huge wide screens. The crowd has gone absolutely apeshit. #ComicCon

Scratch that - both walls of Hall H have pulled back to reveal giant screens enveloping the arena."

It kicked off with concept art from Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. And now Zack Snyder has taken the stage.

That must be amazing

ReiGun

If they make the multiverse thing official, it would still create the expectation of a crossover :/

True, but then you get away with doing one movie (if you do it at all) as opposed to trying to do a whole series. I imagine one "Crisis on Infinite Earths" movie where most of the crossover is just cameos with maybe one or two actors from TV as supporting characters would be far easier to do than "JLA series that ties together years of movies and TV and has to schedule around the work loads of a dozen actors."

manual4

Banned
Silas Lesnick: Batman is standing on a Gotham rooftop in the rain
10:10
Silas Lesnick: His costume isn't what we've seen already. It's big and bulky, like his armor in The Dark Knight Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom