• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Horrible event. KOTD needs to do some PPV stuff, at least those would be worth the money.

They do PPV stuff. I don't think I'll ever consider any of these events PPV worthy though. No matter who throws the event the stream quality, mic setup, crowds, and fuckery are all wild cards from event to event. You never know if it's going to go smoothly and that ain't worth throwing cash at imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty sure Joe choking/giving up/trying to salvage his round is what made the judges give it away.

This is a super bad look. I think Hollow's bitchass theatrics in the third round threw Joey off. But both of them leaving the stage makes me feel like this is bigger.

I don't think it was an easy W for Budden, dude's delivery was fucking terrible/comedic and he had way more bland filler than Hollow. This needs to be judged on cam. I want to see the Mook battle on cam too but I'm pretty sure Mook got that.

This event wasn't worth the hype. I think Mook's first round was the only all around good round in the entire event.

Looking forward to the AngryFan blog

Had high expectations for Joey cuz I'm a fan and know the guy has lyrics for days. I thought he'd struggle with stage presence. His punchlines were pretty damn good.

Blanka line was probably the punch of the battle for me.

Even the blanka shit was super light,

All of Joe's street fighter shit was very clumsy.

Furyous

HOW THE FUCK YOU LOSE TO JOE BUDDEN?

I scored this 2-1 Joe Budden and that's saying a lot.

Dude if Budden battled before this and prepared more then he wins this in a blowout. He choked in the third round and that should happen because this isn't his arena. I knew he was fucked when the dude I was streaming from booed him lol.

The debate of rap artists vs battle rappers is over all right... JOE GOT HIM.

For the record, I thought Hollow had this going away 3-0 before the match started.

I'll say this, there's no way Joe wins this if this is event is held anywhere else. I loved the rules as far as forcing entourages off stage and having time limits.

Joe got robbed by the judges. Star was going to vote for Hollow anyway. Hollow dissed Tahiry and bigger her up at the same time.

The next Total Slaughter needs to be a collaboration with URL but not held at a URL venue. For the love of god, fix these mice.

HOW THE FUCK YOU LOSE TO JOE BUDDEN? I'm legit shocked Joe came away with the W. Someone needs to upload this battle without mic checks.

m23

They do PPV stuff. I don't think I'll ever consider any of these events PPV worthy though. No matter who throws the event the stream quality, mic setup, crowds, and fuckery are all wild cards from event to event. You never know if it's going to go smoothly and that ain't worth throwing cash at imo.

They do? Damn, I should find this stuff out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even the blanka shit was super light,

All of Joe's street fighter shit was very clumsy.
The Blanka line was good (but again, it loses impact, how many fucking Blanka lines have we all heard?) and then he made a scheme out of it and it fell apart.

The making this bitch famous was the best line of the entire night.

RP912

Banned
This ppv needed more tech 9 and some philly rappers to bring them aggression bars. Folks were either playing it safe or getting throwed off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This ppv needed more tech 9 and some philly rappers to bring them aggression bars. Folks were either playing it safe or getting throwed off.
i implore you not to watch the Reed comeback

his best line and the line everyone cheered for wasn't even hot

Nobody comes away from this battle looking good. Hollow didnt cook him like he should have. He had disparate fire lines scattered about but to go from his Lux performance to this? Jesus.

Joe had no performance or swag whatsoever, terrible delivery and his hardest shit was light AF. For all this talk about him being a lyricist and how he'll always shine when it comes to rapping... his bars would've gotten crickets at a no expectation PG battle.

Let alone living up to the hype.

Hollow wins just for having some actual good battle rap here and there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm so mad I missed the Marn/Chris G match for this fucking bullshit.

Fuck that. Kind of feeling uneasy about the potential ramifications of this event though. Budden looked super pissed but let's be real he was fucking up. I hate when battle rappers get on their bullshit when they're not being sucked off by the crowd. Budden couldn't handle the heat and all leading up to this he was talking shit like he could. Suffice to say, I will be paying attention to how mainstream and battle rap media respond to this.

The Blanka line was good (but again, it loses impact, how many fucking Blanka lines have we all heard?) and then he made a scheme out of it and it fell apart.

The making this bitch famous was the best line of the entire night.

good I'll give you (personally I'd lean more toward decent), but its a fucking Blanka line. All these interviews about what a next level lyricist Joe is. And we get a Blanka line that any PG on SMACK right now would have done better?

Im looking at the whole spectrum of battle rap when Im judging this. I cant go from re-watching Chilla vs Day earlier this morning to giving Joe Buddens light bars a pass.

Bitch famous line was absolutely fire.

I only got home and caught Lux vs Mook & Hollow vs Budden. Gatta go back and read the impressions. Right now Im saying Total Slaughter has battle rap looking baaaaaad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
good I'll give you (personally I'd lean more toward decent), but its a fucking Blanka line. All these interviews about what a next level lyricist Joe is. And we get a Blanka line that any PG on SMACK right now would have done better?

Im looking at the whole spectrum of battle rap when Im judging this. I cant go from re-watching Chilla vs Day earlier this morning to giving Joe Buddens light bars a pass.

Bitch famous line was absolutely fire.

I only got come and caught Lux vs Mook & Hollow vs Budden. Gatta go back and read the impressions. Right now Im saying Total Slaughter has battle rap looking baaaaaad.
#truthfacts

Basically,

Smack chillin in the back with the biggest smile on his face

RP912

Banned
Looking back its funny they no sold Lux's bars but cheered for some of Joey's weak stuff.

The whole crowd was ass. Every top tier bar that came out was either overlooked or swept under the rug because it wasn't dumbed down to the point my 2 year old son would understand it.

Good concept but bad execution for the entire event. Whatever happen to doing battles at the apollo or even the tunnel? The whole ppv was like trying to bring a underground fight club to espn....its not going to work.

Anyone else catch that here/hair line that buddens tried to spit (copied from daylyt most likely)

But he fucked it up and didn't inflect it properly and it sounded fucked up

He pointed at his head when he said it, but the way he said it was "here"

What a chump

The whole crowd was ass. Every top tier bar that came out was either overlooked or swept under the rug because it wasn't dumbed down to the point my 2 year old son would understand it.

Good concept but bad execution for the entire event. Whatever happen to doing battles at the apollo or even the tunnel? The whole ppv was like trying to bring a underground fight club to espn....its not going to work.

Yeah despite the money, the venue, the shitty post-battle commentary, Sway as the host, and DJ Kayslay being the guy who just stood there...nothing about this show felt like a battle. The mics were as shit as ever tho. that was the one thing that total slaughter got right. They should have just co-sponsored a URL event or something.

This was like that shitty MTV battle rap show from a long time ago with that Wreckonize dude as far as authenticity goes.

RP912

Banned
Yeah despite the money, the venue, the shitty post-battle commentary, Sway as the host, and DJ Kayslay being the guy who just stood there...nothing about this show felt like a battle. The mics were as shit as ever tho. that was the one thing that total slaughter got right. They should have just co-sponsored a URL event or something.

This was like that shitty MTV battle rap show from a long time ago with that Wreckonize dude as far as authenticity goes.

I actually enjoyed them mtv battle raps. It was corny as hell but entertaining. I was rooting for blind fury the whole time.

So what's the consensus on Lux's performance here, terrible or did he just go over people's heads? Not to plea cop( I don't care for Lux), but honestly I think a casual crowd wouldn't get alot of stuff that's being said. We may not realize it, but it takes a bit of training the ears to actually learn how to catch alot of the stuff that's said in battles nowadays, and casuals would probably prefer something more along the lines of an old freestyle friday battle on BET.

So what's the consensus on Lux's performance here, terrible or did he just go over people's heads? Not to plea cop( I don't care for Lux), but honestly I think a casual crowd wouldn't get alot of stuff that's being said. We may not realize it, but it takes a bit of training the ears to actually learn how to catch alot of the stuff that's said in battles nowadays, and casuals would probably prefer something more along the lines of an old freestyle friday battle on BET.

Best name on gaf?

Anyway,

Thanks god Mahvel is on to cleanse the palette

RP912

Banned

It's like this...lux was spitting grown man live on smack bars which the casual just getting into battle rap crowd couldn't compute *no pun*. So apparently that factor along with the constant boos messed up lux to the point dude sounded like he was rapping on top of a Bronx building.

The crowd went nuts for the hypocrite/hippopotamus line mook dropped which pretty much summed up the crowds intentions for the outcome.

Tekniqs

It's like this...lux was spitting grown man live on smack bars which the casual just getting into battle rap crowd couldn't compute *no pun*. So apparently that factor along with the constant boos messed up lux to the point dude sounded like he was rapping on top of a Bronx building.

The crowd went nuts for the hypocrite/hippopotamus line mook dropped which pretty much summed up the crowds intentions for the outcome.

more hypocritical than a dying hippopotamus.....TERRIBLE

More hypocritical than a dying hippopotamus the GOAT horrible bar? It definitely could be.

Some other bars to consider:

Cortez - Lions helmet bar
E Ness - Crazier than crazy glue bar
Reed Dollaz - youre pussy we'll fuck you bar

Watching the rest of the battles the crowd just continually confuses me. They react to a lot of battle rap references only battle rap fans would catch. Like Arsonal's John John freckles line.

At the same time they sleep on anything remotely complex and gas horrendous/basic shit regularly. Really awful crowd.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want to watch the battles again so I can make a decision either way, especially considering they are important battles. But truthfully, I don't want to watch any of those battles again. At least Budden isn't as salty on twitter as he was at the event.

Just release an extra PG or something this week, please.

Hollow just straight up derailed the whole battle with that lame threatening shit and then Budden got sensitive like he didn't know this is battle rap and these dudes will talk about poling down your retarded dead niece on your granddaddy's tombstone if they feel like it. And Daylyt with that corny fainting shit. Makes me not want to see anymore of their battles cus it seems they are always doing some stupid gimmick.

dyergram

Joes battling was embarrassing. Funny to think last year joe and Royce were on twitter saying wtf is canibus thinking now they doing this show? Clad this weren't crooked I wouldn't wanna see him look this bad.

mileS

shut-up-you-guys.gif

Buddens' third round might even be worse than Hollows.

best gif ever

I have lots of thoughts about the event, but I'm too tired to post them now. I'll be back tomorrow for sure. Overall. Yea please no more events like this.

re-watching joe vs hollow, I'm warming up on hollows first two rounds.

Not the best don at all, he was operating at like 65% strength. Still more than enough to clearly beat Joe's cloying delivery and light bars the first two rounds.

It's a toss up between who had the more embarrassing 3rd. The internet consensus is looking like Joe, but I'm leaning toward Hollow tbh. He's supposed to be a more seasoned competitor than that.

After now having watched all the battles, I'd say Arsonal or Rex probobly had the best performances of the night. Purely based on the simple fact that they didn't completely shit the bed. Rex's rounds fell a bit flat though. I don't care as much about your rhymes when you're spitting them to a dude in a Spawn costume who clearly doesn't give a fuck.

Mook did aight, but he's getting a lot of credit for what's essentially a half assed recreation of Hollow's shit vs Lux. A lot of the same angles, with less memorable writing/moments. Nothing Mook did really stacked up with "circus act to see this clown get through a fire round" or "he a lost nigga? I found him, say it to Black Face" or even had the style of the "loaded for loaded" shit.

Top Bottom