• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

mileS

Oh god. I hate you because you're right.... The ice bucket lines to come...... fuck. Might as well quit watching battles now.

Deadman has a lot of clever shit but goddamn, worst delivery in battle rap or at least tied with bender. Jesus Christ line was hot

Ice was mean tho. Easy 3-0

That b magic vs conceited legit got me hype as fuck. That music in the video makes me wanna fight someone

Furyous

dizaster vs. cassidy announced

How much is Cassidy getting paid for this? I'm asking because he turned down 75K to battle. If I was him I'd ask for 80K. He was shitting on Total Slaughter at the event according to Ebro. He needs to battle Mook, Jones, or Lux. Lux would grill him. Jones would grill him. Mook would grill him due to his time off from battling.

I hope the battle rappers with names are taking advantage of this opportunity by building connects and putting out music. Do they seriously think this heightened awareness for battle rap will last and translate into a permanent lane to eat off instead of putting out music? I ask honestly because every battle rapper eventually put eps and albums. I'm talking about Diz, Hollow, and Math as far as not putting out music in some capacity. Hollow refuses to do it as he said in his Sway interview. Lux, Surf, and Mook at least have the right idea and put out some music. I'm not dissing the culture but pointing out the obvious that Diz can't tour multiple cities performing battle bars. At some point, he needs to put out a commercial product and tour off it if he wants to have a career outside of battling MCs. I'm not dissing the culture AT ALL. Legends come from it so don't think I'm shitting on it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL/WeGoHardTV: Steams vs. Stylez

How much is Cassidy getting paid for this? I'm asking because he turned down 75K to battle. If I was him I'd ask for 80K. He was shitting on Total Slaughter at the event according to Ebro. He needs to battle Mook, Jones, or Lux. Lux would grill him. Jones would grill him. Mook would grill him due to his time off from battling.

I hope the battle rappers with names are taking advantage of this opportunity by building connects and putting out music. Do they seriously think this heightened awareness for battle rap will last and translate into a permanent lane to eat off instead of putting out music? I ask honestly because every battle rapper eventually put eps and albums. I'm talking about Diz, Hollow, and Math as far as not putting out music in some capacity. Hollow refuses to do it as he said in his Sway interview. Lux, Surf, and Mook at least have the right idea and put out some music. I'm not dissing the culture but pointing out the obvious that Diz can't tour multiple cities performing battle bars. At some point, he needs to put out a commercial product and tour off it if he wants to have a career outside of battling MCs. I'm not dissing the culture AT ALL. Legends come from it so don't think I'm shitting on it.
According to Cassidy $250k, and Diz is getting $50k. Apparently other established artists will be on the card too. It's being funded by some billionaire dude who owns FilmOn. Still sounds like some shitty RoI and this all seems too good to be true TBH. It's kind of confusing right now, but from what it sounds like Fresh Coast Media Group + FilmOn will be hosting the event, and then after it's all said and done KOTD gets the battles for YT. I have a feeling this will be a one time thing and then never again because it's not sustainable.

I honestly think everyone would murk Cassidy. The way I look at it, every mainstream artist except maybe Crooked I and a handful of others won't be able to make a dent unless they tailor their styles to some of the more aggressive styles that already exist in battle rap, and when that happens, why would I want to hear someone imitating those styles that took those established battle rap MCs years to cultivate and polish? In a twist, the expectations of mainstream artists are hurting them when they jump in the ring.

Right now I just find it super fucking shitty that after all that's happened, KOTD is willing to be all open arms to Dizaster because of the cheque involved. Not only that, but after all the talk of not promoting violence we have KOTD leaving the punch in on their PPV, leaving the start of it in on their YT release, and URL using the Surf/Holla fight to promote the battle. And that after everything that's happened, Diz comes out the winner. Streaks of mediocre performances, loss after loss after loss, but this dude gets Cass because he snuffed some dude and battled Canibus who beat himself years ago.

I'll never get tired of "gun so big" lines. I was legit laughing for like 5 minutes straight in the shower cuz I randomly remembered someone said he "has a gun so big, DNA tried living with it"

Lmao, anyone know what battle that was in?

Anyway, I'd use Enzo as a sweat rag for ill will for 5 minutes with NuNu Nellz. Goddamn, I'm thirsty. I wanna give her a belly rub

I'm checking out Smoked Out Battles in Surrey, BC tonight.

Olympia Pizza, starts at 7:00 or so. Any Vancouver folks in here feel like checking it out, be sure and say hi. I'll be wearing a Freddy Mercury t-shirt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Real Deal vs. Chilla Jones. Both of these guys diversifying their styles, interesting back and forth of personals. Hard to call, gonna need to watch this more times.

Also I've been pretty much watching Jay Rell battles on repeat. Dude's pen game is so underrated, he has some of the most creative schemes out of any battle rapper. He's pretty complete of a battle rapper like Qleen and Clips. His PG with Danny Myers is still the most underrated.
dat n***a old enough to be your son's boyfriend

Battle I went to on Friday night was pretty good. The calibre was higher than I expected, lotta guys came with bars.

And I didn't get stabbed!

Actually, everyone was real well behaved. People were cool. I'm excited to compete in this league on October 25th

Furyous

Cassidy made 200K up front to battle Diz.

Cass said he'd battle an industry person so that includes Lux, Mook, and maybe Jones.

If Cass is worth 200K Mook will ask for at least 500. Someone is mad that Cass made 250 off one battle.

How big, in terms of revenue, is the battle culture as a whole? How do they measure the impact?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cassidy made 200K up front to battle Diz.

Cass said he'd battle an industry person so that includes Lux, Mook, and maybe Jones.

If Cass is worth 200K Mook will ask for at least 500. Someone is mad that Cass made 250 off one battle.

How big, in terms of revenue, is the battle culture as a whole? How do they measure the impact?
Mook is asking $1 million for his next battle.

He does not deserve $1 million. I don't think Cass even deserves $250k.

mileS

KOTD: Real Deal vs. Chilla Jones. Both of these guys diversifying their styles, interesting back and forth of personals. Hard to call, gonna need to watch this more times.

Also I've been pretty much watching Jay Rell battles on repeat. Dude's pen game is so underrated, he has some of the most creative schemes out of any battle rapper. He's pretty complete of a battle rapper like Qleen and Clips. His PG with Danny Myers is still the most underrated.
dat n***a old enough to be your son's boyfriend

I had kind of counted Jay Rell out after only seeing him against Ty Law or w/e, the one where he choked real real bad. The battle you just linked was crazy good. I shouldn't have been as quick to judge the dude.

When jay rell said that shit about Danny looking like that lonely turtle from Mario

I was done

Chilla vs real was pretty good

Very entertaining thirds from both, especially the reenactment of the JC vs Chilla battle lol. A couple of chillas stuff made me pause to vigorously nod my head (leave ninjas hanging, extraterrestrial)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dizaster vs. (Hologram) Cassidy Press Conference. Yoo these guys are going in at each other. Good stuff starts 34 mins in when they start arguing. Cass is so mad haha

Cass is gonna get murked. No way dude is worth the $250k paycheck.

If it wasn't for us, you'd still be battling in the fucking studio

mjlolhjuci.gif

Hip Hop

Dizaster vs. (Hologram) Cassidy Press Conference. Yoo these guys are going in at each other. Good stuff starts 34 mins in when they start arguing. Cass is so mad haha

mjlolhjuci.gif

lel Cassidy think he some legendary shit.

Dude has not done a single thing for Battle rap. What a joke, he'll get slaughtered. Like I said, rappers can't hang. Not even the greatest rapper of all time against a battle rapper that does this for a living.

Furyous

lel Cassidy think he some legendary shit.

Dude has not done a single thing for Battle rap. What a joke, he'll get slaughtered. Like I said, rappers can't hang. Not even the greatest rapper of all time against a battle rapper that does this for a living.

One could argue that outside of the third round, Joe got Hollow. Back then there weren't camera crews going around filming these battles. From that era, there are only a select few battles that got the camera treatment. Literally off the top of my head:

Cass vs Freeway
Ness vs Jae Millz
Serius Jones vs Mook (Serius got him)
Jae Millz vs Mook (Jae Millz cooked him)

It wasn't the industry it was now but those battles kept the fire burning. I hope Cass paid attention to Diz previous battles somewhat or at least prepares for this like he should. I don't think we should take the mentality that rappers can't hang. Joe didn't get body bagged either way you look at it and that's Joe Buddens. The more rappers that come in, the more awareness this brings to the culture, the more sponsors show up, the bigger the industry grows. Growth means victories for us fans as more artists devote time to battling. That's just my opinion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ITS HAPPENING

Bw3IIwxIcAEHJ1S.jpg

SM4 Warm Up Card:

Prez Mafia vs. Steams
Mr. Wavy vs. Qleen Paper
Head I.C.E. vs. K-Shine
Shotgun Suge vs. Charron
Danja Zone vs. KG The Poet

I think I like this card better than the actual SM4 card. Don't know what happened to Ty Law vs. M. Ciddy & Uno Lavoz vs. Young X, but I REALLY want to see the latter as well. I swear to god if neither the Charron or Rone battles drop..

EDIT: U DUBB: Charlie Clips vs. O-Red. Like every round in this battle had 2 bars that were hot. Both of these guys lost. The only good round was Charlie's 3rd.

KOTD: O-Red vs. Rum Nitty. Yeah, I've pretty much come to terms that we'll never see Red again like his performance vs. Rex or Nitty like he was vs. Myers.

Shotty Horroh says he's back.

mileS

Charron on SMACK?! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats amazing lol

Clips and O-Red was horrrrrrible. As much as I love Clips freestyles sometimes, its clear that they can't all be winners (no surprise) oh well. Maybe its a sign to not take as many battles a year as he did.

I watched Canibus and Diz this morning.

Man, that was insane. I'm new to watching battle rap, had no idea Canibus had dipped his toes in.

Any other major rappers have battles online?

Red vs nitty was whatever. I wanna Rewatch to catch some of the shit I missed, but I don't lol

That Jordan shit that nitty ended with was tough as fuck tho

Nitty needs to dumb it down a little and chill with all that hand movement

Rum Nitty is tight as hell but he needs to stop breaking his verse down in the air with his hands.

Maybe if he did it once or twice when separating the line really matters. But it gets annoying when it's nearly every bar.

I'm writing like a motherfucker for my upcoming battle in October.

Thing is, I've never met the dude I'm battling so it's hard to get DIRT.

All I've done is creep his Facebook and twitter. All the cat does is post about professional sports and how much he likes Breaking Bad. Not giving me a lot to go on, really...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MR WAVY VS PREZ MAFIA SMACK/ URL (FINALLY!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEiVOk6bXk

Wavy got this one
This battle was not worth the 9 month wait and 40 minute video length lol

Smack needs to stop booking Prez Mafia. He had a few hot moments but I can name like 20 more PGs from different classes that deserve the looks he's getting and are already more consistent.

I'm writing like a motherfucker for my upcoming battle in October.

Thing is, I've never met the dude I'm battling so it's hard to get DIRT.

All I've done is creep his Facebook and twitter. All the cat does is post about professional sports and how much he likes Breaking Bad. Not giving me a lot to go on, really...
don't be that guy!

Just started watching mr wavys first round. From what Enzo said, I'm going to pay more attention to b magics hilarious head motions in the background

Also, dat ring card girl reactions lmao

I'd smash no doubt

Prez won the battle 1-.75. Only good rounds were the first.

Can we get a gif of wavy starting at 36:38

Vancouver dude

IMO, some of the hardest hitting punches are ones that involve local shit, especially current events

Don't know if you going more witty or with the hard violent shit.....

-I'll punch you so hard, you'll be out longer than the teacher strike

- "I'll fuck your chick and you'll be pissed like when the skytrain gets delayed"

- "beating me is like seeing good driving in Richmond.....it ain't happening"

Lol I can't think of any more

Btw, you sound like a weirdo

Who goes to someone's house to shit if you know the dude is gonna eat it.......and not get paid

You musta slipped, fell and bumped yo mothafuckin head

Btw, you sound like a weirdo

Who goes to someone's house to shit if you know the dude is gonna eat it.......and not get paid

You musta slipped, fell and bumped yo mothafuckin head

Ha ha, bringin' up shit from another thread?!?

Anyway, I'm not that much of a weirdo. I'm a comedian, so I'm always seeking new stuff to talk about. I'm pretty well-adjusted and normal though.

As far as local shit in rap battles, yeah, I'm not sure that I have many local references. Working on some specific stuff for my opponent based on what he tweets about.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL PGs: Uno Lavos vs. Jae Laww. This is a weird battle, but also entertaining. Damn, all these Philly dudes do rap the same lol

I died at
whatchu know about opening up a book.. AND KNOWING ALL THE WORDS

Who y'all think Ill Will's mystery opponent on SM4 is after Arsonal backed out? I think it's Math. Maybe Daylyt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, are the Gladiator School battles being filmed?

I need to see that Surf vs. Daylyt, don't really care for the rest.

mjlolhjuci.gif

actually, minus the arrogance, alot of what Cassidy said is on point/correct. you can dislike his cockiness, but that doesnt change there was alot of truth/facts in what he said. I cant imagine he wins this though, unless he really updated his bars.

Top Bottom