• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBE: Ooops vs. Mr. Mill$. This battle took a while to heat up. Was kind of exhausting to watch.

KOTD - Rap Battle - Illmaculate vs Aye Verb

leeeeeetss gooooooooo! Illmac killin' it right now.
Yo that first round was crazy, Illmac just had that ether level content that pushed him over the edge though.

2-1 Illmac, gave Verb the 2nd cause Ill's 2nd was just a weaker version of his first. This is that kind of battle that puts Verb on notice though, people should start putting pressure on him for falling off but acting like he's still on top of the world though.

EDIT: And Verb needs to stop sneak dissing the crowds in every fucking battle, smh

RP912

Banned
Happened on the same UW card as JC vs. K-Shine. Battle isn't out yet, but from what I hear the battle was pretty underwhelming, Tech in particular.

I'm not watching this battle out of principle.

:/ dang Tech haven't been the same since that battle a year or so ago where dude murdered him with his own style.

He caught atomic feelings during that whole match calling him dickheads and etc. I'm like wtf dude you losing your powers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL PG: Stash vs. Xcel. Both these dudes went off. Xcel has better delivery and just never stops hitting you though.
I'll turn young Stash to Young Hot GAWDAMN. That X-Men line too :wow:

Dead @ Tsu Surf still tryna act like his nash bar made sense

10478532_10152680919274612_7809270754485698071_n.jpg

Has this dude Johnie Alcatraz battled recently? That ransom line bar...wow. #latepass
I don't think so. I liked Alcatraz too it's just.. he got did dirty that battle. Also made for one of the best Jayblac reaction videos.

:/ dang Tech haven't been the same since that battle a year or so ago where dude murdered him with his own style.

He caught atomic feelings during that whole match calling him dickheads and etc. I'm like wtf dude you losing your powers.
Which battle was this?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Syndicate Cartel: 40 BARRS vs. Cortez. Entertaining battle, but I feel like I'm getting bored of Cortez' style, he feels his own bars a bit too much. I need that Hitman Holla Cortez back.

KOTD - Rap Battle - Marlo & Shuffle T vs Dirtbag Dan & Caustic

lol hella funny battle, been looking forward to this one. If you guys aren't familiar with Marlo and Shuffle. I suggest watching this FUCKING CLASSIC. Dudes are hilarious. This wasn't their absolute best but they still had a lot of good shit. Glad to see DBD back on his shit after that horrible Clips battle.
Yo I was watching these last night, and both of these battles were killing me, especially the second.

People say outside of battle rap, we're friends
They're rumours

After that sprite can bar flip I was done.

I'm competing in my first 'real' rap battle in October. By 'real', I mean guys that take it seriously. I've done 8 comedy rap battles, where both opponents dress up as characters and battle on character, and I finally decided to jump to the 'serious' side.

Looking forward to it, should be fun. In the league I'm competing in it'll be three verses each. I don't know the dude I'm battling, so I guess I'll just pull out my best punch lines, disses and braggadocio.

Watching YouTube videos of these guys in the league I'm gonna be in, damn the homophobia is crazy. And I'm not even talking about when they spit. Dudes are straight up calling each other 'faggots' before the contest even begins.

Do most battle rappers act tough towards their opponents even when not battling? For me, the shit is all in good fun. I'm gonna try my damnedest to outrap my foe, but acting all tough before or after the battle seems silly.

We'll see what happens- hopefully I don't get stabbed!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm competing in my first 'real' rap battle in October. By 'real', I mean guys that take it seriously. I've done 8 comedy rap battles, where both opponents dress up as characters and battle on character, and I finally decided to jump to the 'serious' side.

Looking forward to it, should be fun. In the league I'm competing in it'll be three verses each. I don't know the dude I'm battling, so I guess I'll just pull out my best punch lines, disses and braggadocio.

Watching YouTube videos of these guys in the league I'm gonna be in, damn the homophobia is crazy. And I'm not even talking about when they spit. Dudes are straight up calling each other 'faggots' before the contest even begins.

Do most battle rappers act tough towards their opponents even when not battling? For me, the shit is all in good fun. I'm gonna try my damnedest to outrap my foe, but acting all tough before or after the battle seems silly.

We'll see what happens- hopefully I don't get stabbed!
What's the league?

I think aggression is an inherent part of battling, but there are plenty of rappers that don't need to act tough to son you. I don't know how I'd handle someone spitting in my face though, that shit would make me uncomfortable if like K-Shine is barking in my face.

What's the league?

I think aggression is an inherent part of battling, but there are plenty of rappers that don't need to act tough to son you. I don't know how I'd handle someone spitting in my face though, that shit would make me uncomfortable if like K-Shine is barking in my face.

It's called Smoked Out Battles or something like that. Very small I think, based out of Vancouver area. I'm gonna go check it out in person this month.

Yeah I'm all for aggression (even if it's for show) when IN battle, but I'm wondering if these cats are all gonna be mean-muggin' each other before and after like pro wrestlers or some shit

IMACOMPUTA

is this opposite day

Pretty much everyone who was there said Math's 3rd shook up Diz because it broke him down something serious, and that's part of why Diz was so shaky. Don't understand how anyone could give Diz the 3rd especially. To humour you, I watched the battle again:

1st Round
... If you're gonna give any round to Diz, it's this one.

2nd Round
... Math's weakest round ...
So, round 1 Diz.
Round 2 Diz.
Round 3 Math. (I definitely agree Math won round 3, and only round 3.)

Diz won.

It's called Smoked Out Battles or something like that. Very small I think, based out of Vancouver area. I'm gonna go check it out in person this month.

Yeah I'm all for aggression (even if it's for show) when IN battle, but I'm wondering if these cats are all gonna be mean-muggin' each other before and after like pro wrestlers or some shit

My dude.

Gimme details. Im definitely coming to this.

Also, i had to stop watching that xcel pg battle after he said "my bars go over head.....read a book".

I'm done, gonna go for a walk or something. He won 10000% just off that.

RP912

Banned
URL PG: Stash vs. Xcel. Both these dudes went off. Xcel has better delivery and just never stops hitting you though.
I'll turn young Stash to Young Hot GAWDAMN. That X-Men line too :wow:

Dead @ Tsu Surf still tryna act like his nash bar made sense

10478532_10152680919274612_7809270754485698071_n.jpg

I don't think so. I liked Alcatraz too it's just.. he got did dirty that battle. Also made for one of the best Jayblac reaction videos.

Which battle was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDGXk1ktiw

tech 9 vs bill collector

Dude was getting chewed throughout that battle....it was depressing to watch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, round 1 Diz.
Round 2 Diz.
Round 3 Math. (I definitely agree Math won round 3, and only round 3.)

Diz won.
I meant Math's weakest verse independent of Diz' performance, not relative to. I still think Diz did slightly worse than Math in the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDGXk1ktiw

tech 9 vs bill collector

Dude was getting chewed throughout that battle....it was depressing to watch.
I hated this battle so fucking much when I first watched this battle.
Then I watched it again and it wasn't as bad as I thought.
Then I watched it again and even though both of these dudes had their moments, I couldn't help but feel like both of them fell off so hard. That mixed with UW's lifelessness makes me not want to watch it again

RIP Philly

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
My dude.

Gimme details. Im definitely coming to this.

Also, i had to stop watching that xcel pg battle after he said "my bars go over head.....read a book".

I'm done, gonna go for a walk or something. He won 10000% just off that.

LOL

I watched that battle like three times today. Both of them were going in something crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Speaking of Philly...

~~~***Top 10 Hypemen***~~~

10. Tech's Hypeman
Unorthodox style, there's no barking or overt approval he gives to bars. He's got that serial rapist look on his face. Looks like he just wants to make love to Tech 9 between every bar.. softly and silently.

9. Bizarre
Another unorthodox style. For someone that's used to being around Eminem all the time, the occasional nod of approval combined with the sheer fear in dude's eyes as Big T spits makes his shit seem that much harder.

8. UTK
The right hand to the gimmick king, and Nappa cosplay extraordinaire.

7. FUCK THAT TV, n***a (also goes by FUCK THAT FAT BITCH)
An up and coming hypeman. Mad quotables and stage presence.

6. Tay Roc's Fat Hypeman
In his defense, he tried to tell y'all. This man eats anger for breakfast, rage for lunch and war for dinner. And then Ah Di Boom for dessert.

5. Show Out
Holla's brother is his biggest fan and then some. This dude is just waiting for someone to fire at his big bro so he can take the bullet. He's put in mad work, and is pretty consistent.

4. YOU LOOK LIKE FOOD
This dude just wants to hold Hollow's hand all battle long. After every bar this dude is tryna dap him up, with a face like he's ready to catch Hollow if he falls.

3. That Goofy Dot Mobb Motherfucker
Yeah, we've all seen him. Literally the Dot Mobb jester. He probably changed his legal name to That Goofy Dot Mobb Motherfucker. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as I do for this guy. Dan Bars, Louie, Handz, nobody in Dot Mobb is as annoying as this dude. Just watch this battle. Fuck this guy.

2. EAT EMMMMMMMM
OG hypeman. He paved the way from some of these other dudes, and his performance is unmatched by pretty much anyone but #1.

1. K-Shine
GET THAT N***A REX. 'Nuff said. Son took an ass grab for his man to keep his hype train rolling. That's loyalty. He's the most consistent, the most raw and uncut. Will be stone-faced during your verse and having continual orgasms during his mans'.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dizaster & Krack City detail the fight w/Vlad.

- Math has been trying to jump him and shit since Diz vs Swave in Brooklyn
- Him and Math have always been on thin ice
- Math didn't do shit cause Diz' boy Cook was out there that everyone is afraid of
- Math tried him after the match
- Whole bunch of hooplah about some Connecticut guy
- Math's 3rd round fucked with him, added to his irritation
- Diz said he didn't have a 3rd round, just a closer
- Refuses to apologize to Math still, laughs off the damages and shit

Listen to this story bout my dumb ass

Law school is an option going forward, so I was lucky enough to get a job at the Supreme Court for the past few weeks. I bored as fuck so I rewatching the xcel vs stash battle. I'm tripping balls cuz I can't figure out the "young hot" line and why Enzo is gassing it.

My dumb ass goes on my work computer and googles "young hot". Exited that with the quickness. If I get fired or something, I swear........

Seriously tho, why that young hot line so dope?

UDUBB NETWORK Present ANNIHILATION Charron vs B Magic

heard the mic quality in this was shakey, but stil, leeettss gooooooooo. don't know much about this battle but I'm expecting magic 2-1.

also gatta rewatch aye verb vs illmac again and see if he actually took rd 2 like you guys said. right now I got mac 3-0 mah dudes.

crazy summer getting in the way of watching battle rap.

Listen to this story bout my dumb ass

Law school is an option going forward, so I was lucky enough to get a job at the Supreme Court for the past few weeks. I bored as fuck so I rewatching the xcel vs stash battle. I'm tripping balls cuz I can't figure out the "young hot" line and why Enzo is gassing it.

My dumb ass goes on my work computer and googles "young hot". Exited that with the quickness. If I get fired or something, I swear........

Seriously tho, why that young hot line so dope?
LMFAO

mellz

Speaking of Philly...

~~~***Top 10 Hypemen***~~~

10. Tech's Hypeman
Unorthodox style, there's no barking or overt approval he gives to bars. He's got that serial rapist look on his face. Looks like he just wants to make love to Tech 9 between every bar.. softly and silently.

9. Bizarre
Another unorthodox style. For someone that's used to being around Eminem all the time, the occasional nod of approval combined with the sheer fear in dude's eyes as Big T spits makes his shit seem that much harder.

8. UTK
The right hand to the gimmick king, and Nappa cosplay extraordinaire.

7. FUCK THAT TV, n***a (also goes by FUCK THAT FAT BITCH)
An up and coming hypeman. Mad quotables and stage presence.

6. Tay Roc's Fat Hypeman
In his defense, he tried to tell y'all. This man eats anger for breakfast, rage for lunch and war for dinner. And then Ah Di Boom for dessert.

5. Show Out
Holla's brother is his biggest fan and then some. This dude is just waiting for someone to fire at his big bro so he can take the bullet. He's put in mad work, and is pretty consistent.

4. YOU LOOK LIKE FOOD
This dude just wants to hold Hollow's hand all battle long. After every bar this dude is tryna dap him up, with a face like he's ready to catch Hollow if he falls.

3. That Goofy Dot Mobb Motherfucker
Yeah, we've all seen him. Literally the Dot Mobb jester. He probably changed his legal name to That Goofy Dot Mobb Motherfucker. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as I do for this guy. Dan Bars, Louie, Handz, nobody in Dot Mobb is as annoying as this dude. Just watch this battle. Fuck this guy.

2. EAT EMMMMMMMM
OG hypeman. He paved the way from some of these other dudes, and his performance is unmatched by pretty much anyone but #1.

1. K-Shine
GET THAT N***A REX. 'Nuff said. Son took an ass grab for his man to keep his hype train rolling. That's loyalty. He's the most consistent, the most raw and uncut. Will be stone-faced during your verse and having continual orgasms during his mans'.

Where the hell is K-Kendle's hypeman?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: SUMMER MADNESS 4 TRAILER. It's a 2-day event.
Card:
Hitman Holla vs. Tsu Surf.
Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex
B Magic vs. Conceited
Aye Verb vs. John John Da Don
DNA vs. Tay Roc
Arsonal vs. Ill Will

This is already better than SM3. Outside of the Verb and DNA battle, I'm rocking with this.

KOTD: Bigg K vs. Danny Myers. Really didn't like Danny's tired, racist approach in the 3rd, I'd give that round to Bigg K clearly off of bars too. Edged the first and second to Danny, but they could go either way. Debatable battle.

I guess you mean Young Steady's hypeman? Damn he deserves an honourable mention for being the inspiration for this Key & Peele sketch.

URL: SUMMER MADNESS 4 TRAILER. It's a 2-day event.
Card:
Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex
B Magic vs. Conceited
Aye Verb vs. John John Da Don
DNA vs. Tay Roc
Arsonal vs. Ill Will

This is already better than SM3. Outside of the Verb and DNA battle, I'm rocking with this.

KOTD: Bigg K vs. Danny Myers. Really didn't like Danny's tired, racist approach in the 3rd, I'd give that round to Bigg K clearly off of bars too. Edged the first and second to Danny, but they could go either way. Debatable battle.

I guess you mean Young Steady's hypeman? Damn he deserves an honourable mention for being the inspiration for this Key & Peele sketch.

This is going to be great...

Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex

Wooo can't wait!

What are your thoughts on speed while battling?

I'm doing my first 'real' rap battle in a coupla months, and I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of battles in the league I'm gonna be in.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to pay to SLOW DOWN. Even if you've written a bunch of crazy intricate bars that sound dope if you say them crazy fast with no hiccups, it's 10 times out of 10 a better idea to let your bars breathe and let the lyrical content shine.

If the crowd can't understand what you're saying, it don't matter who impressive it sounds.

Agree/disagree?

If you're using speed in your verse, then the impact you should be looking for is in the smooth delivery and the sound. It's best used for "check my flow" type bars. There are a few battlers who've had some success with faster flows using multi's on their punches but it's a gamble as to whether or not the crowd will catch it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What are your thoughts on speed while battling?

I'm doing my first 'real' rap battle in a coupla months, and I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of battles in the league I'm gonna be in.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to pay to SLOW DOWN. Even if you've written a bunch of crazy intricate bars that sound dope if you say them crazy fast with no hiccups, it's 10 times out of 10 a better idea to let your bars breathe and let the lyrical content shine.

If the crowd can't understand what you're saying, it don't matter who impressive it sounds.

Agree/disagree?
SLOW IT DOWN/repeating lines is okay as long as it doesn't insult the audience's attention IMO. I mean, the whole reason why slow it down is so successful and everyone does it is for that purpose. And doing research on your audience sounds like a good idea. It also depends on your style, TBH. If your style is very slow already, even if you have hot material, they may come out of the round thinking "that was cool" instead of being amazed or something.

Just don't start slowing down every da feet/defeat line or shit like that or something they could have even caught part of. That's my opinion from watching a lot of battles that may not necessarily be like the scenario you find yourself in, anyways.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm suggesting an alternative to simply just being slower/faster with everything, which can hurt you too.

My dude, if you wanna practice on a live audience of one, I can be the DNA to your Clips

If you ever want to talk bout anything, I'm at 778-242-8677

Ha ha, thanks man! I think I'm good through for now- I've been writing a lot these past few days. I got BARS.

I'm watching a rap battle show this Friday at Olympia Pizza in Surrey. It's the same league as the one I'm in competing in come October. Gonna go check it out in person first. If any Vancouver heads wanna check it out we can have an informal 'GAF BATTLE RAP MEETUP'.

It's at 7:00, and it's like 20 bucks I think

SLOW IT DOWN/repeating lines is okay as long as it doesn't insult the audience's attention IMO. I mean, the whole reason why slow it down is so successful and everyone does it is for that purpose. And doing research on your audience sounds like a good idea. It also depends on your style, TBH. If your style is very slow already, even if you have hot material, they may come out of the round thinking "that was cool" instead of being amazed or something.

Just don't start slowing down every da feet/defeat line or shit like that or something they could have even caught part of. That's my opinion from watching a lot of battles that may not necessarily be like the scenario you find yourself in, anyways.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm suggesting an alternative to simply just being slower/faster with everything, which can hurt you too.

True.

Another thing I've noticed in regards to 'slowing down'- a lot of cats suffer from not pausing when they get a huge reaction from the crowd. If you drop a punch line that hits you gotta wait for the audience to calm the fuck down a bit before you keep spitting.

It can be counter-intuitive to have to pause like that in the middle of a bunch of intricate bars, but if you just keep rapping the audience won't be able to hear what the fuck your next line is and it'll fuck up your flow even more in the long run.

It's one thing I've learned from standup comedy that's applicable to Battle Rap- let your punch lines BREATHE

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBE: Bigg K vs. Big Kannon. BAHRS. Only round I give is 2nd clearly to Kannon. One of the best battles this year.

True.

Another thing I've noticed in regards to 'slowing down'- a lot of cats suffer from not pausing when they get a huge reaction from the crowd. If you drop a punch line that hits you gotta wait for the audience to calm the fuck down a bit before you keep spitting.

It can be counter-intuitive to have to pause like that in the middle of a bunch of intricate bars, but if you just keep rapping the audience won't be able to hear what the fuck your next line is and it'll fuck up your flow even more in the long run.

It's one thing I've learned from standup comedy that's applicable to Battle Rap- let your punch lines BREATHE
Yeah, I also hear that depending on how people practice, not being able to anticipate what people react to or dead air can cause people to choke too. Something to think about. Some stuff definitely needs to breathe though.

Yeah, I also hear that depending on how people practice, not being able to anticipate what people react to or dead air can cause people to choke too. Something to think about. Some stuff definitely needs to breathe though.

Yeah, it's definitely an acquired skill

Top Bottom