• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

I think someone who was there compared tsu vs hitman to verb vs hitman

Hitman prolly won 2-1, but everyone is just going to remember verb/tsu thirds

We living in the golden age or what?

Also, I doubt anyone cares, I barely did, but that hilarious Keith Murray vs Fredro starr battle never happened cuz the promoter didn't pay them

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It feels like the consensus on Con v B Magic has changed every day. I was seeing a lot of "Con lost" on forums and facebook now its looking debatable.

I'm just hoping for a good Con performance, win or lose. He finally made me a believer with the Tsu Surf battle and has been sub-par to decent since. I've refrained from reading transcribed bars for this battle, since that defeats the purpose of a "punch line."

Always look forward to a good Hitman performance. I'm on a kick of going back and watching his old battles lately. His little story telling vignettes are the shit.
Hitman doesn't get his props TBH. Everybody says he doesn't have bars but the dude has like infinite quotables. He has a hundred stories I love too:

vs. Big T the cut her cross the chest.. look like I'm playing a violin
vs. Arsonal, Ars waving bye to every rapper in the building
vs. O-Red, his rendition of Calicoe snatching O-Red's girl (I like his version best too)

speaking of Charron vs. Shotgun Suge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6wMJfnqYU
some hilarious stuff in here. Can't wait for the battle to drop lol.
This is hilarious. Lmao @ he's got the same swag as Heartless

BTW, do y'all watch the Bar Exam show on 15Mofe? That shit is hilarious. Basically a game show where they quiz all types of questions about battle rap from different eras. Drunk DNA is amazing.

Ep1 - ARP, Ray Swag & Debo
Ep2 - PG Bloggers
I didn't watch this one
Ep3 - Goodz, DNA & Charlie Clips (just watch this one)
Ep4 - Ah Di Boom, Prez Mafia & Showoff
Ep5 - Swave Sevah, Sara Kana & Poison Pen

BTW, do y'all watch the Bar Exam show on 15Mofe? That shit is hilarious. Basically a game show where they quiz all types of questions about battle rap from different eras. Drunk DNA is amazing.

Ep1 - ARP, Ray Swag & Debo
Ep2 - PG Bloggers
I didn't watch this one
Ep3 - Goodz, DNA & Charlie Clips (just watch this one)
Ep4 - Ah Di Boom, Prez Mafia & Showoff
Ep5 - Swave Sevah, Sara Kana & Poison Pen

lol I was just about to ask this, but I was watching the latest episode two seconds ago.

DNA's rant about having better freestyles than clips was INCREDIBLE. Ep3 was definitely the best one so far. They gatta get Jayblac, AngryFan and Chris Unbias on this shit.

edit: PG Bloggers episode was pretty good tho tbh.

better than the episode with the actual PGs

Lush One Announces New Venue For Dizaster/Cassidy “Ether” Event

Looks like Ether is going down at some place called the "Belasco Theater." It's got the same capacity as webster hall, where SM1-2 went down. This card should be stacked if they're trying to sell out that venue.

This might be the biggest event (capacity wise) that Lush has produced even going back to the GT days.

edit:

Charlie Clips vs Charron Announced for FLATLINE 3

Hpefully Charron is readying is AAA+ game to make it a classic, a good one vs Clips would benefit him greatly. I'm skeptical as to if he could really pull it off, but i'm rooting for him to go in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Charron vs. Clips should be good but.. I've kind of come to terms with the fact that that's probably going to be the only top tier name he's gonna get. Pat Stays ducking, and I can't think of anyone else who will take him in the URL besides the usual lottery of white boys. Just like Real Deal in URL all these years, everyone will keep ducking him when he's white, even though he's had a classic very good battle with DNA and bodied the shit out of Arsonal. Still not enough PG/top tier intermixing for me though, there's only time you can shift around Illmac/The Saurus/Bigg K/Danny Myers/DNA/K-Shine/Tay Roc/Big T/Ill Will etc.

Charron vs. Shotty Horroh: The Battle of Laura Tarsi needs to be a thing after Shotty gets done putting Tony D to sleep.

Also what do y'all think of Don't Flop USA? I realize Don't Flop is huge already and wants to expand even more but I don't understand the purpose of the USA division. I'd rather watch some Spit Dat Heat unknowns than any of those matchups on the card. Kind of rubs me the wrong way after the way Eurgh handled the last event with international talent.

Semi-related but I think Illmac is gonna put a beating on Clips next week. He's had time to get his stuff together, it's his URL debut, whilst Clips is just coming off of a big battle he probably put more time/effort into. Not that I think he'll take Illmac light at all, I just think Illmac has the preparation advantage.

Charron vs. Clips should be good but.. I've kind of come to terms with the fact that that's probably going to be the only top tier name he's gonna get. Pat Stays ducking, and I can't think of anyone else who will take him in the URL besides the usual lottery of white boys...

I think the Pat Stay battle will happen eventually but probably long after the hype surrounding the match has died down. Getting sick of this continually happening tbh.

I think Hollow could fuck around and give Charron a shot. I don't know if it'd be in URL, but if Charron shows out vs Clips and his name is buzzing... Hollow comes off like a really down to earth guy. So I'm thinking he MIGHT be persuaded to take Charron.

Also what do y'all think of Don't Flop USA?

Not too hyped on it tbh, but Don't Flop needed to do something. Their views have dropped off in a big bad way over the last year, they're at definite risk of stagnation.

Just saw the card now, not too impressed. The only way this division will be interesting at all is if they really dedicate themselves to mining local Atlanta (/dudes around there) talent. Push dudes like Ness Lee, Sonny Bamboo, 24/7 find some promising up and comers.

If they're just gonna have the same old battlers they would have flown out anyway but call it "Don't Flop USA" then I couldn't give a fuck.

Semi-related but I think Illmac is gonna put a beating on Clips next week. He's had time to get his stuff together, it's his URL debut, whilst Clips is just coming off of a big battle he probably put more time/effort into. Not that I think he'll take Illmac light at all, I just think Illmac has the preparation advantage.

Both super well rounded MC's, Illmac is well rested for sure. Thing about Clips is that even when he's not 100% (which he rarely is all the way) he still puts on a show regardless.

If Clips is smart he won't half ass vs Illmac. It wont look like it did vs Verb, where ppl can argue Verb half assed it. Clips' "half assed" still looks good so it'll come off as a body.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think the Pat Stay battle will happen eventually but probably long after the hype surrounding the match has died down. Getting sick of this continually happening tbh.

I think Hollow could fuck around and give Charron a shot. I don't know if it'd be in URL, but if Charron shows out vs Clips and his name is buzzing... Hollow comes off like a really down to earth guy. So I'm thinking he MIGHT be persuaded to take Charron.
Losing hope with every moment w/Stay. Seems like he's not into it as much anymore, and even his material in the Diz battle came off as him not really having much to say anymore.

Hollow would def. give Charron a shot, I think that would be a pretty sick battle too. I think Hollow kind of boxed himself in at this point though, if it's not Clips next, then I don't think people will want to see it, even though he said he's down to battle John John (and was going to) and a few others. I don't even know what Hollow is doing right now, or why he isn't battling. Last time it was because the Total Slaughter shit conflicted with his schedule, but right now there isn't anything of that sort.

Daylyt is the best of all time

come at me
When he's not being a dumbass.. he could be. I'd still put it between Clips and Hollow at this point. Maybe Mook, but Clips and Hollow's resumes are ridiculous and Hollow spans more eras.

I wasn't that serious lol. He's the best in terms of he's top billing for me.

I think the winner of clips vs Charron get a shot at the chain

I've seen that b magic vs Chilla battle at least 50 times. Easily my favourite one of all time. I'm gonna break it down heavy next week when I got free time at work

oman, Daylyt went full gg allin. He's testing Jaz's dedication.

Day can't lose pulling stunts like this, unless he crosses the line where it affects him being booked. Now everyone who hates daylyt will keep his name popping. Quill-heads who love his trolling will champion him as their troll messiah and everyone will be shocked again in 4 months when he's got all bars and kills it.

This cycle he's laid out could keep him fresh endlessly. People seem to never lose interest in Daylyt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wasn't that serious lol. He's the best in terms of he's top billing for me.

I think the winner of clips vs Charron get a shot at the chain

I've seen that b magic vs Chilla battle at least 50 times. Easily my favourite one of all time. I'm gonna break it down heavy next week when I got free time at work
Chilla choking ruins replay value for me, especially considering all of his other rounds are a buildup to that. Both of them went in though.

oman, Daylyt went full gg allin. He's testing Jaz's dedication.

Day can't lose pulling stunts like this, unless he crosses the line where it affects him being booked. Now everyone who hates daylyt will keep his name popping. Quill-heads who love his trolling will champion him as their troll messiah and everyone will be shocked again in 4 months when he's got all bars and kills it.

This cycle he's laid out could keep him fresh endlessly. People seem to never lose interest in Daylyt.
FWIW, I don't watch the gimmick battles anymore, but when it's a big name he's facing, there's always that 50% chance he takes it seriously, like Verb and Clips.

Chilla choking adds to the drama/replay value imo.

All that would he have won if he didn't choke and all that. Seriously tho, I'm gonna get busy on my write up. So many little things and intricacies that make it easily my favorite. Honestly, when you played that in plug, I can honestly say its the battle that made me a fan and keep on coming back

I wasn't really feeling clips vs Tay roc, clips vs b magic, clips vs verb, sno vs Ty law, Lux vs calicoe. I didn't know/care enough about the background info to really understand everything.

Magic vs Chilla is just straight bars, that pretty much any lay person can get and if they can't, their intriguing in such a way that you want to Rewatch it (chillas boxing scheme)

Enzo, what's a good top 5 for best battles for newbies to watch to get acquainted with this shit? Take into account production value, crowd, bars, storyline, length, humour, etc etc

Magic vs Chilla
Lottazay vs syahboy (other than lottazay talking about John john)
Daylyt vs rich (lots of hilarious references from both. Only thing is days third where he talks bout Canibus vs diz and "two arms up, I'm lush one")
Con vs tsu (great first from con sets it up with crazy name flips and the slow it downs and compelling as first time entertainment value)
Rex vs yung ill maybe or arsonal vs shotty horroh???

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have trouble with that myself. I think part of what makes battle rap so great is the references, but honestly, I already feel that hip-hop music requires you to learn so much lingo to fully appreciate it that it's practically another language. Battle rap? You have to know a fuckload of references, small or big, that pull from so many different parts of hip-hop culture or related.

I think most of the super lyrical rappers get thrown out the door. I think Zay/Syahboy and Surf/Con are out the door (plus that battle is long as fuck). Con is pretty palatable though. I also think a lot of the drug/gun rap is out the door for the same reason, I think just 'cause we watch this shit we take for granted how many different things can refer to a gun or whatever (can, blicker or w/e). People in the first plug thought Ill was so corny in that Rex battle that when Rex' verse finally came around they didn't care even though that's a certified classic :|

Real Deal vs. B Magic is one of my favourite battles of all time, if not the. Showed it to my cousins, they didn't get it, or catch even the basic B Magic references. Soul Khan seems like a good jumping on point, but his opponents usually get washed so 50% is hard to watch. I've been thinking Hitman vs. Arsonal or Pat Stay and Math might be good ones: both straightforward rappers, funny, in the former there's real animosity, etc.

I'm open to suggestions too, because there are friends I'd LOVE to get into battle rap but I don't think they'll get any of the references, and I mostly only know about URL shit which is like all street rap.

Bodybags in the GT format don't bother me because of the 60 second rounds.

The best battles to get ppl into this shit are the ones that aren't super word-play heavy with tons of insular references. Or battles where the rappers do a good job of explaining the context of the insults within the battle itself.

The earlier GT stuff is good for this again because the battles are short. It's a hard sell to get someone to watch enough battles to start getting references and an understanding of the scene when each battle is 30+ min

Dumbfoundead vs Tantrum
Hollow Da Don vs Philly Swain / Passwurdz
Pat Stay vs Hollohan
DNA vs Rone
Caustic vs Dizaster (slept on classic)
Thesaurus vs DBD

Then after some general interest is built off shorter battles you can start introducing some longer SMACK/ modern KOTD battles. Still best to start with rappers that aren't too reliant on word-play. So Hitman Holla battles, Early Tsu Surf, Hollow vs Big T, etc

Around then enough knowledge of the battle scene should have accumulated to understand a lot of the references and it's open season.

edit: old Iron Solomon shit too like vs Shirt N' Tie or vs Math Hoffa.

Tbh, I pretty much find shit from like 2011 and before unwatchable other than a few exceptions (My timeline is probably off tho)

We take Production value/professionalism nowadays for granted

Pretty much all of grind time is bad, imo. I cringed so hard when I rewatched hollow vs
Okwerdz

Pretty much every battler is gotten better tenfold. Magic was so bad in street style days. Even vs real deal, was so slow and ploddy with the style. Surf and John john were super fast and their timing was way off.

Random note, I understand the resume is pretty good, but iuno how anyone can have dna in their top 5

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EchosMyron1, those are some pretty good suggestions and points. I guess wordplay is a big sticking point.

Tbh, I pretty much find shit from like 2011 and before unwatchable other than a few exceptions (My timeline is probably off tho)

We take Production value/professionalism nowadays for granted

Pretty much all of grind time is bad, imo. I cringed so hard when I rewatched hollow vs
Okwerdz

Pretty much every battler is gotten better tenfold. Magic was so bad in street style days. Even vs real deal, was so slow and ploddy with the style. Surf and John john were super fast and their timing was way off.

Random note, I understand the resume is pretty good, but iuno how anyone can have dna in their top 5
I don't know about unwatchable, but it is on a whole other level. I liked both old Surf and JJDD though (vs. Hitman and B Magic he was a monster, but on GrindTime he was kind of boring). It's just flat out more lyrically impressive, and I think there is still enough variety out there (maybe a few less bullies) and now the pressure to be different has actually produced a lot more dope PG cats. I didn't really like Hitman or Ill in their Street Status days though. I would say pre-Lionz Den is where I draw the line.

Would never put DNA in my top 5 but you just can't count that dude out and he's top 3 freestyler, free.

>> that feel when you realize Okwerdz bodied T-Rex
1310497604344.jpg

Every time I think about that I watch Rone vs. Okwerdz again to put my soul at peace.

Damn I definitely gatta disagree personally. There's a lot of classics from the from the GT era and further back that still rate really high with me.

But if we're talking 2011 forward some good introductory battles would be:

Daylyt vs Rich Dolarz - before daylyt doubled down on the super intricate word play, straight forward punches with (mostly) general references. some video game shit that's attention getting and day's classic "bus stop" homonym scheme.

Ill Will vs Jhonie Alcatraz - Still the best Ill Will performance to date, and his style is an accessible mix of bars & straight forward shit talking. Jhonie Alcatraz is decent but a bit boring so his rounds could be problematic.

Pass vs K- Shine - Pass' has a really captivating flow straight forward slick shit talk and can still throw in a killer punch. K-Shine did a pretty good job as well so no worry about half the rounds being a slog. 19 min total on the video so not a huge commitment.

Hollohan vs Cortez - good use of personals on cortez's part, self explanatory scenarios but still a compelling back and forth. Raekwon in the back so watching his reactions adds to the fun of the battle.

Hitman Holla vs Aye Verb - This one might be a stretch because it's pretty much all battle scene drama. However, each battler does a good job of bringing you up to speed with the other's history within the battle itself. Also an undeniable classic and I'm not an Aye Verb fan.

Caustic vs Q Shinobi - One of the most entertaining bodybags in battle rap history. A lot of Q's material is entertainingly bad and Caustic has some of the most viscerally insulting material in any battle I've seen. Caustic says everything to Q Shinobi that you'd want to say from looking at him and it's glorious. Not many inside references at all, very accessible.

Illmac vs Bigg K - Bigg K putting on his best performance in the thus far imo, simple but massively effective punches and killer stage presence. Illmac displaying hella creativity and an amazing flow. Not too many inside references for either of them. Certified classic and under 30 min.

The Saurus vs Ness Lee - Slept on god damned CLASSIC. It does help to know that Ness Lee had a tragic house fire that fucked him up bad about 2-3 years prior. That's literally all the background you need to tell someone, though. Freestyles, punches, jokes this battle is the total package.

KOTD - Rap Battle - J-Pro vs The Deadman

J-Pro got busy, he works well in a small setting or maybe he's gotten better at projecting in general. J-Pro's voice sended less strained than it has in the past and he had a bunch of killer lines as always.

we've been carrying a dead man's weight like weekend at bernie's
Ice ran through a deadman like cryogenics
If you claim you air macs it's the nike's with the bubble (air max)

The Deadman heated up a bit in the 2nd but lost clearly, I think KOTD should stop promoting him as hard. He's flopped against every bit of top tier competition. He definitely had some decent shit sprinkled throughout the battle, but overall he's a pretty boring rapper with a somewhat grating voice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hollow on AFR.

Hollow going in. So many topics covered.
- Hollow vs. Clips won't happen in 2014, looking to lock it in at the top of next year, not gonna take Clips unless he takes less battles and builds up anticipation/stops watering down his brand
- Shady stole the Budden/Hollow battle that was booked elsewhere for double the money, as a a result, Budden and co. made more, and he made less.
- Cosigns a ton of PGs/up and comers
- Would love to give young gunners a shot, but business gets in the way, not willing to take battles that jerk who he's battling too
- Says different generations of battle rappers hating on each other is corny unless they're getting in the ring
- Down to rematch Arsonal, would still take JJDD if people want to see it more, he has a priority list
- Most people went into Total Slaughter being sold a dream hoping someone would fuck with them, getting nothing while Slaughterhouse members getting 10-20k per episode, Shady and others are just a bunch of capitalists. Tried propositioning to Paul 2 years ago and he was all lolBattleRap
- Russell Simmons and others trying to get their piece too

Great interview from Hollow, interesting look behind the scenes on how Total Slaughter turned out. I'm sure Hollow wasn't the only one rubbed the wrong way during the dealings of that event. Potential insight into why a lot of the battles underwhelmed/ turned out weird.

Hollow talking up how ready for the Clips battle was great. I've been fooled by this from battlers before, but I've already bought into it so if he's full of shit it's too late for me.

Also lol Hollow doesn't have a computer wtf. You run a clothing company that operates through a website...

THE DIRTBAG DAN SHOW Episode 36 featuring Equipto

Dunno if you guys listen to the DBD Show, but it's the best podcast in battling. Last show was hilarious, they went over a bunch of shitty battles from obscure leagues and roasted them. Wish the shit would come out more regularly though.

edit:
THE BAR EXAM Game Show Episode 6 Featuring Charron, Bishop Brigante & Chris (BattleRap.com)

New Bar Exam game show.

mileS

Dirtbag Dan show is incredible. Def not for everyone though. Just finished this weeks episode, probably one of the weakest ones yet. So if anyone is thinking about watching for the first time, I would suggest trying another episode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Another day... of waiting for SM4 battles to drop

For people following this shit for a while, how jarring is it to see hollow all swole now?
It's really fucking weird. He was buff and shit when he battled Illmac too, but he's usually in big oversized clothes. Ever since the Lux battle.. I don't know man. Dude's skin looks weird and shit too.

This was decent. I wish that Chris guy had more of a personality though.
dat John John joke tho

Dirtbag Dan show is incredible. Def not for everyone though. Just finished this weeks episode, probably one of the weakest ones yet. So if anyone is thinking about watching for the first time, I would suggest trying another episode.
Yeah it's a bit too.. stoner-y? for my tastes, but DBD is a funny dude and I enjoyed all the times I did watch.

I just primarily stick to AFR when it ends up on YT because it's straight to the business, and very occasionally War Report or the old Battle Rap Arena when Norbes was on it. Way too many radio shows out there, I don't know how they all survive.

mileS

Yeah I've been fiending for new battles lately. Checkin otbva like 3 times a day. Give me something people.... urgh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In the oddest video you will see today, Mook and QueenzFlip discuss Soul Khan.

Real talk, reactions really help replayability of these battles. I'm rewatching Goodz vs. Verb and seeing the COT DAMN faces on Jadakiss and Smack's faces really makes it. I was kind of indifferent on it before, but this is a really damn good battle.

Also we get flashes of that old Verb.

Creepin', seat back, iron low, like I'm anemic

EXTENSIONS
NINA
LET ME PUT MY BITCH WEAVE IN

:whew:

mileS

Grind Time Georgia used to have amazing reactions. Small crowds, but everyone there understood the bars, and reacted accordingly. Really helps the replayability like you said. Makes the battle so much more enjoyable.

Honestly wish most battles were in the smaller PG/Grind Time Georgia size in terms of crowds. Audio is always good, crowd reaction is just the right volume. Obviously battle rap ain't going to grow if this was the case, but i'd much rather it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD - FreeStyle Rap Battles - AR vs TalkSic & DNA/Charron vs AR/TalkSic

Worth watching to see DNA & Charron destroy two dudes who weren't even close to ready. Fun freestyle battle, makes me sorta miss the spontaneous vibe of classic WRC shit.

Might wanna skip ahead to the part with DNA & Charron though, the video starts with the other two battling for some cash and they're high school lunch period "rapper" tier.
This video verifies my Charron stannery. God fucking damn, what a BEAST

Roll up on TalkSic like Adam West

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
GODDAMN

Grind Time Georgia used to have amazing reactions. Small crowds, but everyone there understood the bars, and reacted accordingly. Really helps the replayability like you said. Makes the battle so much more enjoyable.

Honestly wish most battles were in the smaller PG/Grind Time Georgia size in terms of crowds. Audio is always good, crowd reaction is just the right volume. Obviously battle rap ain't going to grow if this was the case, but i'd much rather it.
I much prefer small room battles too.

I still think Blackstar is the GOAT battle rap venue.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
not even a damn trailer for a SM4 battle.. a tweet saying this sunday or this month..

First "Summer" madness battle dropping in November

mileS

I'm just as excited for the SM4 warm up battles to be released. but as always, could take up to a full year to get them all out. Never understood why they sit on all these battles. Obviously have to space them out to keep traffic going but come on.

Can we talk about the look of love that DNA had pretty much the whole time Charron was going off?

You would think he would be pissed about the undeniable fact that Charron is going to be/arguably already is top 3 freestyler and rebuttaler

Clips and hollow are next

That Charron/clips and clips vs hollow is gonna be insane....and Charron vs hollow in summer 2015

Rivitur

Banned
That DNA, clips, and goodz episode of the Bar Exam had me fucking dying. DNA was gone.

Wait how did I miss Daylyt trying to take a shit on stage?

KidJr

O man, I didnt know there was battle rap following here.

My quick two penny's:

Who ever said that guys like Dizaster wouldnt exist if wasnt for 8-mile is just ignorant in my opinion, and shows lack of appreciation for the history of battle rap. Go look up the blazebattle, iron mic and countless other tournaments and you'll see guys like Eyedea (arguably one of the best ever imo), Slug, Immortal technique all ripping it before 8 mile hit our screens.

Anyway current state of affairs for battle rap, I think it's in an ok place. Tbh I dont have enough time to follow this as closely as I do s I may but out sync with certain things that have happened.

B-Magic f*ck me this guy is great, I dont know do people generally have him in their top three? I mean what makes him so clever arnt the actual punches themselves most of the time (although some are nice) its his set up, his rhyme schemes make the impact of each punch hit like 5x harder then some of them should. I remember when I bodied DNA and dudes went crazy for the line "ride round looking for him like a parking spot" that line by it'self was meh, but WITH his set up was disgusting! Bar a few early battles, I really dont have him catching any L's, think he took Clips, JC, DNA (Charron is debatable) and even though he choked against BIg T I still think he got him. And as someone mentioned early him vs Chilla Jones is a classic imo "put a couple in his top like wedding cake" smh... dude is nasty.

I havent caught the hollow the don joe budden battle, what was the general consensus on that? Before he went to prison I felt he was the best and most rounded battle rapper (his rebuttles were legendary) since he's come back, I dunno, he came hard against lux (not even sure who won that).

T-rex is this dude still around, like I really really really dont get the hype with rex, his punches are so inconsistant and when they miss they miss so hard because his set ups are so poor (who the hell uses a one syllabel bar structure these days?!). Although I will say T-Rex vs Young Miles is in my top 5 battles of all time. The were both cooolllllddd (i felt miles bodied him though)

JC... I know its been said a thousand times but has anyone seen that video with him in some kind of high school battle dance? I dont know how recent it is but I was DYING. Anyway my problem is this JC is and can be nice as hell, however he suffers the same problem as almost ever punchline rapper who solely relies on punches is that your style can get boring very quickly. In terms of wordplay I think JC is right up there with the best however I've found his more recent battles so so, has he put up anything recently worth a watch? (Last I saw was him vs clips). And Obviously when you have arguably one of the best battles ever (him vs chilla jones, his 3rd round quite possibly one of the nastiest battle rap verses I've ever heard)

And also Cassidy is gunna get at Dizaster in my opinion.

And anyone who thinks industry guys cant battle are delerious, this stuff your seeing now is just a formalised vrsion of whats been going on for yyyyyyyyyeeeeeaaaaarrrsss. Like you may not believe it from his God awful bars but apparantly Meek is a very very nice battle rapper, Young Chris used to also be very very nice, again if new of him J.r writer had some stupid winning streak.

This was great. I should really check out more of these.

You mean freestyle battles or rap battles in general? If you dug this heavy you definitely should check more.

There's actually a bunch of posts earlier on this page recommending battles to new fans. That'd be a good place to start.

GT Georgia had some slept on classics for sure. The old-school BOTB - MOB warehouse venue is still my favorite venue/crowd. Hella large like 900-1000 ppl crowd, everyone who was dope got love and if you sucked/ didn't connect the crowd just stayed silent instead of booing. Which let battles still look debatable on cam.

Speaking of GT Georgia tho, this battle is a slept on goodie Grind Time Now presents: Troy Brown vs Star Almighty

Sloppy on the performance side (hilariously so at times) but it's got some real nice bars. Potentially my favorite video game bar of all time.

From Star Almighty:
pipe to ya wife's anatomy/ come home early to find a line of niggas outside your door is enough to smite your sanity/ now you lettin' out all type profanity/ pissed off cause you gatta wait your turn to hit like final fantasy

shit's cold as hell every time.
For people following this shit for a while, how jarring is it to see hollow all swole now?

Beefcake Hollow is the best Hollow. Why do you think these Hollow & Joe interviews all have 200k+ views? Definetely not beige hoodie mc no-arms.

holy shit all those Hollow vs Joe interviews are so much more entertaining than the actual battle ;-;

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think JC got watered down too quickly. He took way too many battles and then he reused two full, entire (good) rounds vs. Tay Roc. Kind of sad to see if he gets cut, but honestly, I'm not really itching to see dude battle like I once was.

I kind of understand the cuts they're making to PGs though. Way too many of these guys watered down their brands, breaking contracts, PPVs are destroying anticipation/excitement and/or they're not able to be consistent enough to keep their name buzzing. I mean I would have been excited for KG vs. Danja Zone like a year ago.

Danny Myers is teetering this line, nobody even looks at Magic as a PG anymore because he's so consistent, JJDD is an expert at picking matches to keep his name in people's mouths, Sno spit too much BS in UFF, Ill Will has had relatively few battles so he's still a sort of golden child, etc.

I keep hearing this Gjonaj guy snapped on the SM4 PGs though, I'm looking forward to seeing that. Currently watching his battle vs. JC and dude looks like he's ready to murder someone.

All I've been doing these days is writing bars...

Had a battle on Sep.27th, I have another one on Oct.17th, and a third one on Oct.25th. That's three in a month, damn.

If anyone's in Vancouver and wants to check out the show on the 17th or 25th just let me know. Show on the 17th is in Vancouver and is a comedy show. I'll be rapping as Homer Simpson against Fox Mulder. The show on the 25th is in Surrey, and it's a 'real' rap battle. My first!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
10724110_677486682368743_1919571851_n.jpg

Apparently Duel in the Desert is a KOTD card now? wat

Hearing stuff about URL being paid to promote it but they didn't fulfill the terms? Saw a bit of promotion on their channel but just as much if not more than they do for their regular events. Wonder what kind of deal Organik offered them. Shady shit regardless.

mileS

GT Georgia had some slept on classics for sure. The old-school BOTB - MOB warehouse venue is still my favorite venue/crowd. Hella large like 900-1000 ppl crowd, everyone who was dope got love and if you sucked/ didn't connect the crowd just stayed silent instead of booing. Which let battles still look debatable on cam.

Speaking of GT Georgia tho, this battle is a slept on goodie Grind Time Now presents: Troy Brown vs Star Almighty

Sloppy on the performance side (hilariously so at times) but it's got some real nice bars. Potentially my favorite video game bar of all time.

From Star Almighty:
pipe to ya wife's anatomy/ come home early to find a line of niggas outside your door is enough to smite your sanity/ now you lettin' out all type profanity/ pissed off cause you gatta wait your turn to hit like final fantasy

shit's cold as hell every time.

right?
one of fav's is Brixx vs M Ciddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxLZzdyCZQ
"would kill ya pops but nah, I ain't suicidal"
"i'm a G... P.S. I put ni**as on the map when they lost" Daylyt stole that bar and changed it up years later.
"late night, we gon get them techs like a side chick"

Also, holy shit @ the Duel in the Desert change. Shady shit indeed.
As much as I love Pat Stay and Rone, I can't give a fuck about that compliment battle, some of them have been fun before but I don't know, shit is kinda corny. Looking forward to Illmac vs Clips. B Magic vs Bigg K the most. Both have the potential to be amazing.

right?
one of fav's is Brixx vs M Ciddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxLZzdyCZQ
"would kill ya pops but nah, I ain't suicidal"
"i'm a G... P.S. I put ni**as on the map when they lost" Daylyt stole that bar and changed it up years later.
"late night, we gon get them techs like a side chick"
That's a great battle, back before Brixx fell victim to the SONS curse and became a lower-mid tier punching bag. So sad...

guns, great aim, give me a slight advantage/ dog, when I draw I ain't lookin for a canvas/ you looking for ciddy underwater like atlantis

JJDD got at him with the "shitted brixx" scheme thats another dope GTGA battle

Apparently Duel in the Desert is a KOTD card now? wat

Hearing stuff about URL being paid to promote it but they didn't fulfill the terms? Saw a bit of promotion on their channel but just as much if not more than they do for their regular events. Wonder what kind of deal Organik offered them. Shady shit regardless.

1lFQqb0.png

messages from Teddy Grizzly to an RMBVA member. I guess he was disatisfied with the support URL provided and partnered up with KOTD. The writing on the wall was definitely there. No URL staff in the building, Organik guest hosting, etc.

Very weird. Especially considering the trailer for the event is still up on the URL channel. Does anyone remember how long ago Teddy Grizzly partnered up with URL? I can get some feel for what he's saying if they did only drop one trailer about a week before the event.

edit:

Alright, let's go, listening now. Be interested to hear URL's side of the story too.

Top Bottom