• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

I'm writing like a motherfucker for my upcoming battle in October.

Thing is, I've never met the dude I'm battling so it's hard to get DIRT.

All I've done is creep his Facebook and twitter. All the cat does is post about professional sports and how much he likes Breaking Bad. Not giving me a lot to go on, really...

who are you? and the guy your battling seems like my kinda guy, pause.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Daylyt vs. Aye Verb, wow. I thought Aye Verb brought his shit and then Daylyt's round came and I was floored. And that happened 3 times. 3-0 for Day. Another impressive performance from Day; I think he might be battler of the year TBH. I almost want to call that a body. Man this just makes me depressed about Verb all over again. I think he really has peaked :(

actually, minus the arrogance, alot of what Cassidy said is on point/correct. you can dislike his cockiness, but that doesnt change there was alot of truth/facts in what he said. I cant imagine he wins this though, unless he really updated his bars.
I agreed with Cass at first, but no, more than I think about it I think there is no link between him and the battle rap scene. Yeah his battle was widely publicized, and maybe it helped a bit but battle rap's format at that time had already begun transitioning to acapellas. I don't think that battle or even 8 Mile got people to pay attention to battle rap. 8 Mile was 12 years ago and as far as I can tell neither of those things catalyzed the game like YT did. Maybe more people became aware of the culture, but I bet Mute Spitter is probably more influential than him.

EDIT: WD5 cancelled wow. Can't say we won't be eating though, URL has 6 dope events in the next month and the December Card too.

That Daylyt vs. Aye Verb, wow. I thought Aye Verb brought his shit and then Daylyt's round came and I was floored. And that happened 3 times. 3-0 for Day. Another impressive performance from Day; I think he might be battler of the year TBH. I almost want to call that a body. Man this just makes me depressed about Verb all over again. I think he really has peaked :(

I agreed with Cass at first, but no, more than I think about it I think there is no link between him and the battle rap scene. Yeah his battle was widely publicized, and maybe it helped a bit but battle rap's format at that time had already begun transitioning to acapellas. I don't think that battle or even 8 Mile got people to pay attention to battle rap. 8 Mile was 12 years ago and as far as I can tell neither of those things catalyzed the game like YT did. Maybe more people became aware of the culture, but I bet Mute Spitter is probably more influential than him.

EDIT: WD5 cancelled wow. Can't say we won't be eating though, URL has 6 dope events in the next month and the December Card too.

that battle and 8 mile didnt get people to "pay attention" to battle rap, but it got people to battle and sparked the scene which got people to pay attention. You gotta look at the big picture. Real talk, without cass and freeway in the studio, there IS NO MURDA MOOK, Conceited and alot of new york/east coast battlers. thats just a fact. no 8 mile? No Dizaster. etc. Hell, probably no grind time.

that battle and 8 mile didnt get people to "pay attention" to battle rap, but it got people to battle and sparked the scene which got people to pay attention. You gotta look at the big picture. Real talk, without cass and freeway in the studio, there IS NO MURDA MOOK, Conceited and alot of new york/east coast battlers. thats just a fact. no 8 mile? No Dizaster. etc. Hell, probably no grind time.

Nah man. GT's strongest representers (not necessarily the best battlers though) were guys who were battling well before 8 mile. Okwerdz, Fredo, Franco, Illmac, Pass, etc.. were all guys who battled well before that movie hit. Then you've got guys like Dumbfoundead (who now goes by "Parker") Nocando, etc.. that came out of Leimert Park's movement which bred Freestyle Fellowship before them (P.E.A.C.E. from FF battled in Scribble Jam and all that).

So the guys who became the foundation of the West Coast were doing their thing well before that movie. I'd argue that the East Coast was similar because you had guys who went on to be mainstream successes battling before then as well (DMX, Busta Rhymes, etc..).

That movie is more responsible for Suburban based rappers catching on than it is for battle raps current placement. Some of the younger battlers were probably heavily influenced by it but each major scene in the country would've eventually started popping through Youtube regardless.

Heavyarms Custom RG, Look like you wanna get in my RV,
Gimme a piece o that black ass, I like tea.

Sth like that.

Anyway, I'm pumped! Can't wait for the next match!

Nah man. GT's strongest representers (not necessarily the best battlers though) were guys who were battling well before 8 mile. Okwerdz, Fredo, Franco, Illmac, Pass, etc.. were all guys who battled well before that movie hit. Then you've got guys like Dumbfoundead (who now goes by "Parker") Nocando, etc.. that came out of Leimert Park's movement which bred Freestyle Fellowship before them (P.E.A.C.E. from FF battled in Scribble Jam and all that).

So the guys who became the foundation of the West Coast were doing their thing well before that movie. I'd argue that the East Coast was similar because you had guys who went on to be mainstream successes battling before then as well (DMX, Busta Rhymes, etc..).

That movie is more responsible for Suburban based rappers catching on than it is for battle raps current placement. Some of the younger battlers were probably heavily influenced by it but each major scene in the country would've eventually started popping through Youtube regardless.

brah, you are missing my point. lol

what did i say? without 8 mile there is no dizaster and possibly no grindtime. did i say 8 mile is why battle rap exists? lol no. but thats what you seem to be arguing. look at when grindtime started. it was after 8 mile. im not saying 8 mile is the full reason it existed, but i do believe it had a part in inspiring them to get organized the way they did.

in regards to dizaster, he wasnt on the scene till after 8 mile. so im assuming 8 mile had an influence on him, cant say for sure.

all thoae cats you listed, yea i know. believe it or not im friends with someone in that circle and was friends with them before grindtime existed! dont know why you bring up scribble jam, has nothing to do with this except you trying to sound super knowledgable. yea juice beat eminem at scribble jam and beat him at the rap olympics. and then supernatural beat juice! wow! dat knowledge that has nothing
do with whats being discussed!

dmx? busta rhymes? what the hell do they have to do with murda mook, conceited and the other east coast battle rappers that sound like cassidy? my point was cassdy influenced those guys when it came to battling and thats just a fact.

cmon son.

brah, you are missing my point. lol

what did i say? without 8 mile there is no dizaster and possibly no grindtime. did i say 8 mile is why battle rap exists? lol no. but thats what you seem to be arguing. look at when grindtime started. it was after 8 mile. im not saying 8 mile is the full reason it existed, but i do believe it had a part in inspiring them to get organized the way they did.

in regards to dizaster, he wasnt on the scene till after 8 mile. so im assuming 8 mile had an influence on him, cant say for sure.

all thoae cats you listed, yea i know. believe it or not im friends with someone in that circle and was friends with them before grindtime existed! dont know why you bring up scribble jam, has nothing to do with this except you trying to sound super knowledgable. yea juice beat eminem at scribble jam and beat him at the rap olympics. and then supernatural beat juice! wow! dat knowledge that has nothing
do with whats being discussed!

dmx? busta rhymes? what the hell do they have to do with murda mook, conceited and the other east coast battle rappers that sound like cassidy? my point was cassdy influenced those guys when it came to battling and thats just a fact.

cmon son.

I'm pointing out the fact that all of these scenes already had a solid battling foundation and all they needed to get popping was Youtube. The only person missing the point is you. And Grindtime was formed from the dead corpse of Jumpoff's World Rap Championships. 8 mile had nothing to do with it.

And Cassidy sounds like a hundred other dudes from his area at his time. His influence is minor, at best.

I'm pointing out the fact that all of these scenes already had a solid battling foundation and all they needed to get popping was Youtube. The only person missing the point is you. And Grindtime was formed from the dead corpse of Jumpoff's World Rap Championships. 8 mile had nothing to do with it.

And Cassidy sounds like a hundred other dudes from his area at his time. His influence is minor, at best.

i never brought up 8 mile, but im sure it inspired some to get better organized. thats just an assumption.

second, world rap championships was hosted by wake up show right? grindtime didnt spark from that, if thats the case

please, name these hundred people please. or did you just pull that out ur ass?

btw how old are some of yall? like were yall even in the scene when the cass and freeway battle came out? it was a big deal when it happenned. im not saying cassidy made battling relevant. but its a fact he influenced quite a few from the east coast like murda mook, conceited, etc

i never brought up 8 mile, but im sure it inspired some to get better organized. thats just an assumption.

second, world rap championships was hosted by wake up show right? grindtime didnt spark from that, if thats the case

please, name these hundred people please. or did you just pull that out ur ass?

World Rap Championships was created by Jumpoff.tv, a UK based Hip Hop entertainment company. The Wake Up Show had nothing to do with it. You're probably just remembering the big event that The Wake Up Show did where Supernat battled Juice back in 2000 or 2001.

"Hundreds of people" is pretty obviously an exaggeration. The point is Cassidy's style is not wholly original. Almost nobody has a completely original style and Cassidy's style is notably a Philly style. A lot of dudes from that area at that time have a similar style.

World Rap Championships was created by Jumpoff.tv, a UK based Hip Hop entertainment company. The Wake Up Show had nothing to do with it. You're probably just remembering the big event that The Wake Up Show did where Supernat battled Juice back in 2000 or 2001.

"Hundreds of people" is pretty obviously an exaggeration. The point is Cassidy's style is not wholly original. Almost nobody has a completely original style and Cassidy's style is notably a Philly style. A lot of dudes from that area at that time have a similar style.

there were alot of people that came out of philly at that time. none of then sounded like Cassidy. i can name a list of people that came out of philly that didnt sound like cassidy. u cant name 2

and either way its besides the point. mook and those guys didnt see those people who u claim sound like cass, they saw cass

there were alot of people that came out of philly at that time. none of then sounded like Cassidy. i can name a list of people that came out of philly that didnt sound like cassidy. u cant name 2

and either way its besides the point. mook and those guys didnt see those people who u claim sound like cass, they saw cass

So you're really going to act like there aren't a bunch of local Philly dudes that sounded just like Cassidy? Doesn't matter if they never made it big, the point is Cassidy isn't a pioneer in style.

RP912

Banned
Cassidy has his own style. It's not a Philly style at all.

Now State Property, Meek Millz, Black Thought, and Reed Dollaz....they have Philly styles.

It's more of an aggressive spittage with some punchlines thrown in while Cass is more Punchline and lack of aggression.

Cassidy's cadence and rapping in general is definitely Philly. His more calm delivery doesn't make it not Philly. Punchlining more or less often isn't an area specific thing either.

Having a unique style is rare. 3k, P.E.A.C.E., Freeway, Necro, Kool G Rap, etc.. are dudes who have unique styles (for better or worse). Most rappers are mixes of already established styles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He's still retired from battling, going the post-Serius Jones Jin/Soul Khan route of focusing on music but yeah.. he's changed his rap moniker to "Parker."
Yeah I realized he was going the music route and IIRC doing quite well for himself but after gaining buzz from that viral kick video, and that new chick song and stuff with an awesome name like Dumbfoundead, it's not adding up in my head why he'd change it to something generic like Parker.

Yeah I realized he was going the music route and IIRC doing quite well for himself but after gaining buzz from that viral kick video, and that new chick song and stuff with an awesome name like Dumbfoundead, it's not adding up in my head why he'd change it to something generic like Parker.

My only guess would be the "dead" part of his name possibly limiting his opportunities with certain segments of his fanbase. Perhaps his Korea work opportunities?

So you're really going to act like there aren't a bunch of local Philly dudes that sounded just like Cassidy? Doesn't matter if they never made it big, the point is Cassidy isn't a pioneer in style.

yea im gonna act like there arent a bunch of local philly dudes that sounded just like Cassidy cause I never heard them and neither have you. please name them.

as i said. the point remains, i can name a list of cats who came out of philly that sound nothing like cass. you cant make a list with people from philly who do.

lastly, no one was even saying Cassidy pioneered a style. I said mook, conceited, and some of the other battlers were influenced by the cass/freeway battle. thats just a fact. you believing some locals that no ones ever heard of sounding like cassidy, has nothing to do with that fact.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
brahs, im reading twitter reactions right now and Uno vs. Young X is sounding like an absolute classic.

Oh god I hope they start dropping battles this week.
Or at least give me Rone vs. Danja Zone, yes im still salty that didnt drop

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My man Charron reppin' Canada right in the URL

banderas.png
banderas.png
banderas.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pat stay tho.......
Stay doesn't seem to be interested in battling anymore, especially if it's not Daylyt.

Would die to see dude in the URL though. He needs that pressure, I still feel like he might show up one day if he doesn't quit altogether. Battles I'd like to see:

Pat Stay vs. Real Deal (on KOTD)
Pat Stay vs. Charlie Clips (for the KOTD Chain, without the stupid 5 minute rounds)
Pat Stay vs. Charron (for the KOTD Chain)
Pat Stay vs. Hollow Da Don (without the stupid 5 minute rounds, I doubt KOTD can afford 2:30 rounds from Hollow though)

EDIT: It's a bit of a stretch, but I think Pat Stay vs. Hitman could be something different. Apparently Hitman has been trying to get on KOTD but the money isn't right either. I really would like to know how big the pay discrepancy is for artists who battle on both.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
CheddaHouse: Charlie Clips vs. Heartless.

Clips won for me when he freestyled the QP thing, Heartless had a few good lines, better material overall. Heartless is still corny tho; how do you criticize someone for reusing bars and using the same set ups then the first few minutes of your round consist of just that SMH.

I got my gun in the club TWICE
Tekken 1 Tekken 2

:O

Da gawd

Seriously tho, O Solo is the truth. Top 5 entertaining battlers for me. I pretty much am cracking up the entire time he's rhyming, granted he's only done 2 watchable battles lol

Top 5 entertaining

Daylyt (in a tier of his own)
B Magic
O Solo
Uno Lavos
Yung Ill

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get the O-Solo hype. Dude spits trash for half a verse then he says something funny.

There were 3 lines in his entire first round I liked. Edged the first to O-Solo and then I couldn't motivate myself to finish the battle =|

RP912

Banned
Yeaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh O Solo fell flat on the second round. Dude reciting old rhymes like he's walking down the street to pick up a hoagie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...well fuck. Wouldn't be a URL event without some shit going awry, would it :|

Doesn't Clips' mom have cancer or some shit? Don't really want to see Clips if he can't prepare right, he already has problems with not preparing properly.

That leaves 2 great battles and an iffy one (Roc/DNA). People paying $100 for 3 battles? Goddamn.

At least on the bright side, all the battles will make it in the time limit. Maybe Qleen will show up?

EDIT: Mr. Wavy looks mad as hell

Totally forgot to write this yesterday after I spent some free time at work thinking bout my post graduation plans

My dude Enzo. I'm totally sincere about this, word is bond. Haven't heard any updates in the past few months about what you up to, so Ima assume nothing has changed.

Put some thought into coming to Vancouver for grad school/ finding a job. We got a ton of connections and UBC/SFU are great schools. Its not a big deal if you wanna stay for a week or two, my house is open. Fuck it, just come on a weekend for a vacation, dunno how you can stand Toronto weather. I got the fuck outta there 20 years ago.

I've chilled with nottheguyyoukill a bunch of times, so he can confirm I'm not a serial killer lol.

Seriously, come sometime. My numbers still posted.

PS: I'm going to the BANKS concert in a few weeks with a lady. If you can make it, I'll grab two extra tix and tell her to bring a friend :)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Queenzflip does an interview with Chico. I think this is the first time we've ever seen this dude, he's one of the owners of URL.

Cassidy calls out Goodz at SM4. Cass getting booed like mad. Keep bringing up the chicken when PG dudes are giving us better battles than top tiers brehs

Totally forgot to write this yesterday after I spent some free time at work thinking bout my post graduation plans

My dude Enzo. I'm totally sincere about this, word is bond. Haven't heard any updates in the past few months about what you up to, so Ima assume nothing has changed.

Put some thought into coming to Vancouver for grad school/ finding a job. We got a ton of connections and UBC/SFU are great schools. Its not a big deal if you wanna stay for a week or two, my house is open. Fuck it, just come on a weekend for a vacation, dunno how you can stand Toronto weather. I got the fuck outta there 20 years ago.

I've chilled with nottheguyyoukill a bunch of times, so he can confirm I'm not a serial killer lol.

Seriously, come sometime. My numbers still posted.

PS: I'm going to the BANKS concert in a few weeks with a lady. If you can make it, I'll grab two extra tix and tell her to bring a friend :)
Lmao, I have family out in Surrey and Victoria, don't think I have fam in Vancouver. Was thinking of applying to BC universities, but my grades are kind of ass :(

I love Toronto, the further you get from Toronto you realize how much you miss about it. Would love to go to Vancouver though, never been.

And yeah, seems like SM4 went well. People actually saying Surf won, which surprised me. I NEED THESE BATTLES OUT THIS WEEK. I think they'll lead with Hitman and Surf.

Rex getting bodied tho.. damn. His nephew passed yeah, but still, it's gonna be hard to watch.

Also, Untold Truth with Conceited is out. I didn't know Daylyt put Conceited on, damn. I thought Daylyt was trolling. I also agree with him that Conceited vs. Surf is one of the last true classics in battle rap. That battle is just something else. Best Conceited ever by far.

just caught clips vs heartless. clips got flamed, and it's easy to tell when clips feels like he's losing. He starts talking through rounds and looking salty like vs. b-magic

smh at QP in the back looking tweaked out.

Wow. Just saw a few seconds of the tsu surf battle. Smack can literally not get it out fast enough. I'm so fucking hype, i had to no choice but to say it along with the crowd

"First thing I hear when I touch down is Surf, the Midwest groovin"

Ughhhhhhhgggggggg. I need this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm excited to see so many SM4 battles. People are really saying a lot of that shit lived up to the hype.

My most anticipated:

1. Charron vs. Shotgun Suge - From the quotables to hearing what Charron did, this is sounding like a classic TBH
2. Tsu Surf vs. Hitman Holla - Hitman with the rope chain, potential performance of the night AND they're saying Surf beat Hitman? Sounds like a movie. I bet this shit is gonna hit a milli in a week. This is probably the next 2.5-3 mill view battle.
3. Uno Lavoz vs. Young X - Uno apparently left earth, and didn't choke either.
4. Conceited vs. B Magic - They're saying this was close, perhaps had the best slow it down ever, and Magic didn't choke. HYPE.
5. Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex. I saw the BET preview of this battle, and that elevator line got me thirsty to see this body.

I heard the PGs were fire (as usual) too. Real talk, they're sitting on so much gold right now, they better start dropping 2 a week. 3 events this past weekend. Duel in the Desert this weekend and they're filming UFF this weekend. I think the anniversary event got cancelled, but we still might have another event before URL December (which is also looking like it's going to be insane with Ty Law vs. Magic, Hitman vs. Tay Roc, and one I'm forgetting). I'm searching twitter every day for "SM4 drop." :(

It feels like the consensus on Con v B Magic has changed every day. I was seeing a lot of "Con lost" on forums and facebook now its looking debatable.

I'm just hoping for a good Con performance, win or lose. He finally made me a believer with the Tsu Surf battle and has been sub-par to decent since. I've refrained from reading transcribed bars for this battle, since that defeats the purpose of a "punch line."

Always look forward to a good Hitman performance. I'm on a kick of going back and watching his old battles lately. His little story telling vignettes are the shit.

Top Bottom