• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

God damn Tsu Surf's 3rd with the comparison shit was hard as fuck. Only thing is he should've switched the order a bit to end on "if verb called for my father he wouldn't of heard shit" instead of the "raw china gettin thrown down." Small nitpick but I really think it would have pushed the round over the edge.

I cant call it just yet, I've only seen the battle twice. Hitman was on fire so often and I thought for sure he had the stand-out moment of the battle in the bag with the "fuck that, holla!!!" showout scheme & remix. But that was before Surf's 3rd. He also had some pretty impressive rebuttals, even though they were probably just re-purposed writtens that happened to work out.

idk if I could call it a classic, but it's definitely a very entertaining match.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So WTF is going on with EBLTV? You may remember they did an event where Smack hosted (The K-Shine vs. Cortez event) and it was basically a non-URL URL event. Now the dude is saying he was the main sponsor of both NOME 4 and SM4, AND that he's got Hollow & Clips locked in next year, as well as exclusivity contracts for DNA, Clips, 100 Bulletz and more? ...but it might be on URL? I'm so fucking lost. Here are some tweets:

10509578_10152472899684702_3908648100882049495_n.jpg

D.N.A™ ‏@DNA_GTFOH
Me & My Bro @CHARLIECLIPS just Inked BIG BATTLE contracts for 2015 with @EBLTV ... I will only be battling for them next year 4 Battles RT

Empire Battle League ‏@EBLTV
To my label, they will be battling only at @urltv Platform. @CHARLIECLIPS @DNA_GTFOH will be free agent for the right $$$ to other leagues

Whatever happened I put it behind n let's move forward. Just ya all know I'm still with @urltv even though @CHARLIECLIPS @DNA_GTFOH signed

@IAMFULLYAWARE @urltv EBL isn't going to do events by themselves, Big Battles has to happen only in Biggest Platform such as @urltv

God damn Tsu Surf's 3rd with the comparison shit was hard as fuck. Only thing is he should've switched the order a bit to end on "if verb called for my father he wouldn't of heard shit" instead of the "raw china gettin thrown down." Small nitpick but I really think it would have pushed the round over the edge.

I cant call it just yet, I've only seen the battle twice. Hitman was on fire so often and I thought for sure he had the stand-out moment of the battle in the bag with the "fuck that, holla!!!" showout scheme & remix. But that was before Surf's 3rd. He also had some pretty impressive rebuttals, even though they were probably just re-purposed writtens that happened to work out.

idk if I could call it a classic, but it's definitely a very entertaining match.
That line didn't get enough love TBH. Few other lines I felt didn't get enough love:

Big Gerald raised us on that motherfucking belt, and he said fuck a fair fight, that other brother better help
Holla's freestyle about Brixx

Really comes down to the second round. I think both of them started losing steam near the end (Holla with the crowdsurfing; Surf went light with that slideshow line, which I felt was his Jackson Jo, and a few of the punches afterwards). Surf had a well executed Show Out angle, but Hitman was cooking with that Mike back/Life back shit, and I sort of take away points from Surf for fucking up Hitman by talking.

its in the car

Didn't Clips just say Smack was his mans and all of that other rapper horseshit during the Tay Rock battle? Now he's allegedly going EBLTV exclusive?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hype steadily rising.
10729392_710128242396789_146648072_n.jpg

post-30824-Jack-Nicholson-Creepy-Nodding-SRXv.gif

Didn't Clips just say Smack was his mans and all of that other rapper horseshit during the Tay Rock battle? Now he's allegedly going EBLTV exclusive?
Clips still goes where the money is. Plus Clips and URL have had their differences in the past.

But it sounds like EBLTV is still partnering with URL, and always have. I just don't get what they get out of it.

Clips still goes where the money is. Plus Clips and URL have had their differences in the past.

But it sounds like EBLTV is still partnering with URL, and always have. I just don't get what they get out of it.

Honestly it sounds like EBLTV is doing trying to become a battle rapper Agency or perhaps a more appropriate comparison would be similar to a Boxing Promoter and they're using URL like HBO or Showtime.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UFF: Brizz Rawsteen vs. DOT.

Dot is just so fucking entertaining, I don't even know WTF he's talking about but I don't want him to go away
THATS SATURN N***A lmfaoooo
His 3rd round was cold though. Brizz was so crazy, really organized.

Miltown Bloe is secret best hypeman. COOK FOOD

Feelin' amped up for my battle tonight...wish me luck!
Good luck homie!

Honestly it sounds like EBLTV is doing trying to become a battle rapper Agency or perhaps a more appropriate comparison would be similar to a Boxing Promoter and they're using URL like HBO or Showtime.
So how do agencies work exactly? Will they get residuals out of YT views or something? Because I can't see where they're gonna make their money back from. And YT views won't bring in more than what they put in or even that much. That's a LOT of money they're just pretty much giving to Smack.

I've always been sort of skeptical where Smack gets his money from, you can see him shouting out BMF in old videos and shit..

EDIT: I didn't realize this thread got moved to the graveyard :(

So how do agencies work exactly? Will they get residuals out of YT views or something? Because I can't see where they're gonna make their money back from. And YT views won't bring in more than what they put in or even that much. That's a LOT of money they're just pretty much giving to Smack.

I've always been sort of skeptical where Smack gets his money from, you can see him shouting out BMF in old videos and shit..

EDIT: I didn't realize this thread got moved to the graveyard :(

An Agent works like a Manager pay-wise. They get a cut of their Client's profits in exchange for negotiating but I don't see how that would really work here unless these battlers feel like they're getting more money by being signed to them. More likely EBLTV is getting paid by URL directly to allow their artists to battle on the cards.

As far as how they get paid.. I honestly don't know. I can't imagine YT revenue is consistent enough to pay all these higher wage demands and people who have sponsored events have consistently said that the normal live events lose money rather than make it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
QUIETROOMBATTLE/QUEENZFLIP - DRE DENNIS VS NUNN NUNN (WITH CROWD REACTION)

idk if anybody checked this, saw it on QF's battle rap examination series where he watches battles with other battlers and gets their thoughts.

dre dennis fucking snapped, battle is definitely worth watching.
From what I'm hearing Dre Dennis & Tink Da Demon (both guys who got their best looks from Quiet Room IIRC) had the best battle of the SM4 PGs, so I'm looking forward to that.

Both of them went in, even though Nunn Nunn was kind of heavy on nameflips.

---

just caught Charron in the background in the Surf/Hitman battle. Bout to watch it again to see his reactions in preparations for tomorrow lmao
super delayed reaction for the ILL KNOCK HIM CLEAN OUT lmao

Crowd reactions are one of my favourite parts about rewatching

Check out that "my mother was in pain, speak to the inmate, press 9" from surf in the third round

First of all, that was hard as fuck

Second, check out conceited spitting in smacks eyes lmao

Third, check bald dude in red shirt and shades by in behind surf. He literally didn't change facial expressions throughout the entire battle until that line. That line was tough. Surf channeling his inner verb

KOTD - Compliment Rap Battle - Pat Stay vs Rone

lolll this shit was hilarious, great crowd & vibe. also a surprising amount of really good freestyles.

honestly great performances from both, tons of memorable moments. the compliment battle thing would get played out if they did it too often (I think I've seen two others) but this was great.

I think Rone got that, especially with the 3rd, he was definitely a nicer guy.

he got pat so many gifts!

mileS

Rone is hilarious. Just the other day I listened to his phone 'interview' from the Dirtbag Dan episode with just Caustic and Skyler. For some reason I'm not too interested in seeing this compliment battle, they are getting kind of played for me. *edit* nm lol. Gave it a chance, this is pretty funny.

I'm F5'ing on repeat until Charron vs Shotgun is up.

3-0 clean win for Charron, honestly a borderline body. Suge wasn't complete ass, but his rounds were medium flame and Charron was cooking. Also, I really disliked Suge propping his angle against Charron as "justice for mike brown" in the first. Had the opposite of it's intended effect and I thought it made Suge look stupid. I could understand ppl giving Suge the 3rd if you thought Charron's self deprecating shit was corny. I didn't mind the angle but it's been done better before by dudes like Rone or even recently by Sketch Menace in his battle with Uno. Still I thought Suge's 3rd was his lightest round so Charron at 7 managed to beat him out.

Charron's Monica Lewinsky line was straight flames. His stage presence is still a little awkward (tippy toes with every rhyme for some schemes...) but he had the most memorable bars, some dope freestyles and the stand-out moment with that "LOOK AT ME WHILE I'M KILLING YOU" shit.

Impressive URL debut, I hope they get him back for the main stage soon. It'll be interesting to see what he can do against Clips.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
3-0 clean win for Charron, honestly a borderline body. Suge wasn't complete ass, but his rounds were medium flame and Charron was cooking. Also, I really disliked Suge propping his angle against Charron as "justice for mike brown" in the first. Had the opposite of it's intended effect and I thought it made Suge look stupid. I could understand ppl giving Suge the 3rd if you thought Charron's self deprecating shit was corny. I didn't mind the angle but it's been done better before by dudes like Rone or even recently by Sketch Menace in his battle with Uno. Still I thought Suge's 3rd was his lightest round so Charron at 7 managed to beat him out.

Charron's Monica Lewinsky line was straight flames. His stage presence is still a little awkward (tippy toes with every rhyme for some schemes...) but he had the most memorable bars, some dope freestyles and the stand-out moment with that "LOOK AT ME WHILE I'M KILLING YOU" shit.

Impressive URL debut, I hope they get him back for the main stage soon. It'll be interesting to see what he can do against Clips.
Pretty much. When any black rapper does a hurr durr this is justice for racism angle I give them an instant L. It's so done to death, even when done well. Just exposing yourself of being devoid of creativity.

Charron still looks uncomfortable, then again it was a completely different stage for him to adjust to. I think he needs to really work on his set ups before he becomes a serious threat. I'm thinking in my head who would take him next on Smack and I really can't think of anyone but PGs even though he already has Magic, Ars and DNA under his belt. His bodies and good battles aren't like O-Red's either where his opponents came off kilter so "it doesn't count."

Also that battle might hold the world record for awkward/missed daps in any rap battle between Bishop, Charron, Smack and Uno.

Rone is hilarious. Just the other day I listened to his phone 'interview' from the Dirtbag Dan episode with just Caustic and Skyler. For some reason I'm not too interested in seeing this compliment battle, they are getting kind of played for me. *edit* nm lol. Gave it a chance, this is pretty funny.

I'm F5'ing on repeat until Charron vs Shotgun is up.
Rone has one of the best sense's of humour in battle rap. I remember watching him on the last big KOTD press conference and was just dying of laughter.

That compliment battle was fantastic BTW. I think I'd edge it to Rone. I don't even know how to judge that, it was just pure entertainmnet haha

mileS

I think that was the closest Charron has got to choking really. When he asked Bishop what his last line was after that big reaction. Still not even close to choking in the grand scheme of things but still. Understandable considering the stage ya know?

Agree with the Shotgun race card shit. Just makes him look stupid. I always thought dude was straight garbage anyway. In all honesty I seen little glimpses of why people like him in this battle though. If he didn't come with those bullshit angles and threw some more jokes in between the hard shit, he would have done much better.

"Look at me while I'm killing you" instant classic moment.

Thought Charron's third was weak compared to the rest. But fuck those other 2 rounds. Your boy SMACK got so excited early on and had to come up front to film it on his phone. You could tell he was loving this shit. So awesome

Rone has one of the best sense's of humour in battle rap. I remember watching him on the last big KOTD press conference and was just dying of laughter.

Right? so true. I missed the press conference so I'll have to go back and check it out for that at least. Any blog or interview with Rone is usually hilarious.

I was hearing on Angry Fan that YK got this, but I gave it to Cortez definitively after the first watch.

YK just has no character other than being an underdog, but he's not even an interesting underdog.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I see flashes of greatness in YK at times, but he always looks nervous and sort of soft/amateur for the things he spits.

I kind of wonder where he'd be if he didn't get blackballed by Norbes years ago. Then again, I never saw the spark in him that I saw from others in his PG class (Qleen, Magic, Bill Collector, etc.)

Also something about the way Go-Rilla Warfare edits their audio makes them not really rewatchable for me. I really like Hitman vs. Clips and Clips vs. JC but every time the round switches I have to jump for my speaker remote. A bit better in this battle though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lush on AFR.
- Says Official vs. Bonnie Godiva is also on the Ether (Cass vs. Diz) card lol Bonnie is going to get destroyed
- Pretty much gives away an Arsonal vs. Shotty Horroh rematch on a May card.
- Teddy Grizzle is helping set up BOTB7
- Some shots back at Norbes

Not liking this recent trend of trying to make rematches nobody asked for happen.

EDIT: Danny Myers going in on Norbes. I cosign everything he said. Norbes fucks up opportunities, and let's keep it a buck, Danny Myers should've hit the small or big stage on URL a long ass time ago. Danny Myers vs. Tay Roc would be incredible.

Out of all the no-education having dudes running battle rap, which is pretty much everyone I think lol, norbes is by far the most unintelligent. Plus he looks like he stinks, his accent is terrible and he has no idea how to dress

Also, I shouldn't even say these dudes "run battle tap" cuz they consistently prove they have very little advanced business sense. I mean, it's nice the ventures they've created, but goddamn, a little bit of vision/creative spark could really balloon their enterprises considerably to the eventually become legitimate multimedia corporate entities. I guess I should cut them some slack for having to deal with seemingly business/mentally retarded battlers

Lush on AFR.
- Says Official vs. Bonnie Godiva is also on the Ether (Cass vs. Diz) card lol Bonnie is going to get destroyed
- Pretty much gives away an Arsonal vs. Shotty Horroh rematch on a May card.
- Teddy Grizzle is helping set up BOTB7
- Some shots back at Norbes

Not liking this recent trend of trying to make rematches nobody asked for happen.

I felt a lot of what Lush was saying during the interview. Not excited about this rematch though. Shotty vs Arsonal is just shy of two years old, It's already a classic and I don't think there's anything to be gained from seeing that match again.

I can't see it doing comparable views to the first battle either, but I'd be happy to admit I was wrong if that's the case.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
If that is the case... Just have a night of rematches

Lux / calicoe
Ars /shotty
Surf / big T
JC /chilla

Might as well go all in with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
10727285_307752439419608_585914564_n.jpg

Don't Flop's 6th Birthday Weekend card.

Yo Shotty vs. Yung Ill sounds like a potentially amazing match if we see Icepack come out.
unlikely, but im still watching for the flashes

My first legit battle is tomorrow night. If anyone's in Vancouver and wants to check it out, it's at Olympia Pizza in Surrey. Show starts at 7:00 and I think I'm up pretty early. Fifteen bucks to get in.

If anyone shows up, be sure to say hi!

Wish me luck and all that shit!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Shotty is going to kill ill. I thought he put down Tony D, hard. Also, please no rematch with Ars...PLEASE NO! ; __ ;
Is that out yet?

I keep hearing Tony D won.
I rarely find Tony D entertaining TBH, he was okay vs. Illmac though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UFF: Anubis vs. Xcel. Judges: G-Unit

BARS.
BARS.
BARS.

This might be the best UFF battle yet. Anubis man... I can't even front, I sleep on him every time and he always shows out. And we all already know Xcel is the truth.

Not officially. Get it while you can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsj2041Nx0
yo Shotty left earth that first round

Wow what was I hearing. Shotty destroyed him. Wordplay, angles, consistency, etc. I did like that class act line from Tony though.

UFF: Anubis vs. Xcel. Judges: G-Unit

BARS.
BARS.
BARS.

This might be the best UFF battle yet. Anubis man... I can't even front, I sleep on him every time and he always shows out. And we all already know Xcel is the truth.

yo Shotty left earth that first round

Wow what was I hearing. Shotty destroyed him. Wordplay, angles, consistency, etc. I did like that class act line from Tony though.

Yeah, I figured i'd let you see for yourself lol. Was waiting on the UFF battle to drop, will watch. Do we know which battle Smack is dropping next week yet?

Yo, what's the exact details for saturday?

What time should I come?

You gonna have some weed...or should I bring some

The show starts at 7:00 I think. I'm gonna be there at 6:30 or so. I think I might be up real early, as this is my first battle. They usually put the new guys up early. I may have weed, if I have time to rush home after work to get it.

Top Bottom