• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay, posting up my 2014 recap, I hope others do the same!:

Best Battles of 2014

#1 Daylyt vs. Chilla Jones
#2 Loaded Lux vs. Hollow Da Don
#3 Charlie Clips vs. Tay Roc Rematch
#4 Aye Verb vs. Daylyt
#5 Brizz Rawsteen vs. Young X
#6 Arsonal vs. Qleen Paper
#7 Anubis vs. Xcel
#8 Hitman Holla vs. Charlie Clips
#9 Tsu Surf vs. Hitman Holla
#10 John John Da Don vs. T Top
#11 Lottazay vs. C3
#12 Conceited vs. B Magic
#13 Danny Myers vs. JC
#14 Charlie Clips vs. Daylyt
#15 Quest MCody vs. Daylyt
#16 Official vs. C3
#17 Stash vs. Xcel
#18 Marvwon vs. Lotta Zay
#19 Bigg K vs. Big Kannon
#20 Bigg K vs. The Saurus

Battler of the Year:
Daylyt - Way too many strong performances from Daylyt, and some of the most memorable moments and bars, and I'm not talking about any gimmicks either. Bigg K didn't do as much for me as he does for others, although solid, and Tay Roc didn't have that many performances this year, despite his consistency.

Rookie of the Year:
Xcel - He might not have the publicity other PGs are getting, but he's genuinely creative and a breath of fresh air int he game with respect to how he approaches his battles. He might not have the performance of a Brizz or something, but I'm always intrigued to hear what he will say next.

Moment of the Year:
DNA telling Smack to GTFO - Every time I rewatch it I still get chills. DNA should have legendary status by now, you just can't count this dude out. The verse just kept heating up and heating up, and all the buildup from the interviews and shit talk just came to a head and made the most hyped up and comer just disappear for a second. AND he did this a week after killing Prez Mafia. DNA is the gatekeeper of this battle rap shit.

Round of the Year:
This tough, because there were so many good rounds. I can't even call it. It's one of: Day's 3rd against Verb, Clips' first against Daylyt, Hitman's 3rd vs. O-Red, T-Top's 1st against City Towers or Hitman's 1st against Surf.

Performance of the Year:
Surf against Hitman. All of us were counting Surf out, and going up against Hitman is pretty much like facing death, but he gets out of it arguably with the W.

Bodybag of the Year:
Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex

mellz

Best Battles of 2014

#1 Daylyt vs. Chilla Jones
#2 Loaded Lux vs. Hollow Da Don
#3 Charlie Clips vs. Tay Roc Rematch
#4 Aye Verb vs. Daylyt
#5 Brizz Rawsteen vs. Young X
#6 Arsonal vs. Qleen Paper
#7 Anubis vs. Xcel
#8 Hitman Holla vs. Charlie Clips
#9 Tsu Surf vs. Hitman Holla
#10 John John Da Don vs. T Top
#11 Lottazay vs. C3
#12 Conceited vs. B Magic
#13 Danny Myers vs. JC
#14 Charlie Clips vs. Daylyt
#15 Quest MCody vs. Daylyt
#16 Official vs. C3
#17 Stash vs. Xcel
#18 Marvwon vs. Lotta Zay
#19 Bigg K vs. Big Kannon
#20 Bigg K vs. The Saurus

Battler of the Year:
Daylyt - Way too many strong performances from Daylyt, and some of the most memorable moments and bars, and I'm not talking about any gimmicks either. Bigg K didn't do as much for me as he does for others, although solid, and Tay Roc didn't have that many performances this year, despite his consistency.

Rookie of the Year:
Xcel - He might not have the publicity other PGs are getting, but he's genuinely creative and a breath of fresh air int he game with respect to how he approaches his battles. He might not have the performance of a Brizz or something, but I'm always intrigued to hear what he will say next.

Moment of the Year:
DNA telling Smack to GTFO - Every time I rewatch it I still get chills. DNA should have legendary status by now, you just can't count this dude out. The verse just kept heating up and heating up, and all the buildup from the interviews and shit talk just came to a head and made the most hyped up and comer just disappear for a second. AND he did this a week after killing Prez Mafia. DNA is the gatekeeper of this battle rap shit.

Round of the Year:
This tough, because there were so many good rounds. I can't even call it. It's one of: Day's 3rd against Verb, Clips' first against Daylyt, Hitman's 3rd vs. O-Red, T-Top's 1st against City Towers or Hitman's 1st against Surf.

Performance of the Year:
Surf against Hitman. All of us were counting Surf out, and going up against Hitman is pretty much like facing death, but he gets out of it arguably with the W.

Bodybag of the Year:
Charlie Clips vs. T-Rex

You have Aye Verb vs. Day much too high, Day vs. Quest was a lot better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You have Aye Verb vs. Day much too high, Day vs. Quest was a lot better.
So post your list then :p

I think Verb vs. Day gets to be that high because it's 6 solid rounds and 3 of the best from two rappers who are a bit inconsistent but have a shitload of potential. And has one of the most memorable rounds of the year. It's a nice battle to snack on for replay value.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Norbes was on AFR. Here's what the Rookies vs. Vets card is looking like from what we know thus far:

Brizz Rawsteen vs. Aye Verb
Mr. Wavy vs. K-Shine
Ty Law vs. ??? (likely B-Magic)
+ More battles I assume

Also Tink The Demon vs. Dre Dennis and Gjonaj vs. Gutta are the only battles that will release from the recent PGs on the URL Channel. The rest will go on The War Report.

Norbes says Gjonaj/Gutta will be releasing in the next few days.
lol :(

You knOw wHo bEtTEr bE oN thAt

DEterMInatiOn oVEr tRusT

LiVeSt onE FRom BEDoRd STuyVEsaNt

WhAt tHaT mEAn?

DOTTTTTTTTT

Ummmmmm-beretttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOL new blackout announcement is Serius Jones.

There will be bars!

Best Battles of 2014

good ass list. a lot of those battles are on mine too. still putting that together.

edit:

Final Blackout 5 roster:
Announcement #1 - Hitman Holla
Announcement #2 - Hollohan
Announcement #3 - Rone
Announcement #4 - Shuffle T
Announcement #5 - 24/7
Announcement #6 - Bishop Brigante
Announcement #7 - T-Rex
Announcement #8 - Eurgh
Announcement #9 - Big T
Announcement #10 - Madchild
Announcement #11 - Quest Mcody
Announcement #12 - Kid Twist
Announcement #13 - 100 Bulletz
Announcement #14 - Shotty Horroh
Announcement #15 - Osa
Announcement #16 - Head ICE
Announcement #17 - Dumbfoundead
Announcement #18 - Tycoon Tax
Announcement #19 - Soul
Announcement #20 - MarvWon
Announcement #21 - Illmaculate
Announcement #22 - Chilla Jones
Announcement #23 - Conceited
Announcement #24 - Pat Stay vs Charron (Title Match)
Announcement #25 - Arsonal
Announcement #26 - DNA
Announcement #27 - Skelly
Announcement #28 - Rich Dolarz
Announcement #29 - Daylyt
Announcement #30 - J-Pro
Announcement #31 - Serius Jones

shit looks crazy on paper.

Yeah, that KOTD event has a ton of potential. As long as I get my Shotty battle i'm happy though >_> (NO MORE DUCKING!)

Also, i'm not a fan of DOT, but I see why everyone finds him entertaining.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
please don't be any stupid match ups on BO5

mileS

You can't have that many battles at one event and not have a stupid match up. That's kind of asking a lot. I think out of everything I'm most curious who Madchild will battle next.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can't have that many battles at one event and not have a stupid match up. That's kind of asking a lot. I think out of everything I'm most curious who Madchild will battle next.
Man, I really used to mess with Swollen Members
especially their Moka Only phase
but he doesn't do much for me as a battle rapper. Maybe he's still warming to it, but eh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: Uno Lavoz vs. Young X. LETS GO. I hate the venue/audio for this event BTW.

Speaking of Shotty, here is an interview if you guys haven't heard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hoYH8yPGc
Listened to this earlier. Great interview, Shotty seems super humble, which surprised me lol

EDIT:
I got a gun so big, when I tuck it in my shirt, I gotta say pause when I walk
dead dead dead

pythagorean theorum bars lmfao Young X is kind of embarassing for a good chunk of this battle. None of these warm-up battles have very good replay value IMO, not even Charron vs. Suge.

This is all first verse (from memory). Inb4 tl:dr

Gonna be a bit disjointed, but w.e, y'all should get the picture. I'm gonna go battle by battle, giving random comments about stuff I noticed/liked. The number beside the battle is my rating

Cortez vs JJDD- 5
- Never rewatched it, remembered it was ok. Cortez had a fire bar in the first, about Jackie Robinson

Sno vs HA Double- 3
- Not worthy to rewatch. Sno's DDT line in the first was the best, and in the second, said something fire about "sneak dis in the club"

Prez Mafia vs Ty Law-6
- Ok battle to rewatch. Not really anything too crazy, other than Prez Mafia "switchblade" in the third. Bow Wow's reaction during a line in prez's first is funny.

Ahdi Boom vs Danny Myers-4
- Can't remember shit, other than ahdi was sweating, and he was pissed he lost. And "flash both sides like hazard signals"

Real Deal vs Rosenberg- 5
- Funny battle. Real won, but meh. Rosenberg's second was hilarious, Line about him and Big T losing weight was good. Smack's reactions were on point the whole night.

Jay Rell vs KG- 3
I don't remember anything, other than I think, KG did a freestyle about the judges

Lottazay vs Born-5
Got old real fast. Meh for the rewatch. Didn't live up to the hype. Best line was Lottazay about "dunking through your halo"

Danny Myers vs Sno- 4
Don't remember anything

Showoff vs Brizz- 6
Brizz was awesome in this. The Sabado Gigante line was crazy. When he says it, Ty Law nods his head.

KG vs Sno-2
Don't remember. Sno got boring

Prez vs DNA4
Prez won easily. DNA's mimicking Prez's dance is funny. Prez's first line is fireeeeee. "Bronx been killing Queens since KRS ONE". Smack's reaction is kinda funny to this line.

Ill Will vs Sno-3
Meh. Never rewatched. Ill Will said something about having a gun so big, he can shoot Bow Wow out of it lmao.

Steams vs Anubis- 6
I only really remember Anubis's third. Was fire. His voice is kinda funny, when he says "Homeward Bound" When he says the "rounds around your chest like akuma necklace", the dude behind Steams has a hilarious reaction

Prep vs Dot-8
I'll add some random thoughts. Dot is performance-god. Crowd reactions are soo goood. Dot's "master william, what can I get you sir", in the second was funny. The end of Prep's first was crazy. He also said something about a "you a mime, cuz you ain't saying shit".

Saint Mic vs Young X- 6
Coming out of Young X. Was refreshing to laugh at some actually funny, but simple stuff. Saint Mic said something about Diddy Kong in the third that was ok, but kind of a reach.

DNA vs ill Will-4
That crowd reaction. That's about it. You already know

Charlie Clips vs Tay Roc- 7
Not anything too crazy to remember. The first time I actually liked Tay's flow. NuNu's reaction when Tay says something about "you aint seen someone choke like this since tsu surf" is funny.

brizz vs young x- 8
very good battle. 3 good/great rounds from both. T Top was pissed when X was roasting brizz. Milltown Bloe was loving it. "dog gone laugh when you miss three times" Brizz had a hilarious ravishing rick rude line in the third, i think.

aye verb vs goodz- 5
Verb's showtime was ridiculous. I think that "iron low like im anemic" is my line of the year. Goodz and Smack both knew and had nod's of respect. Mysonne and Jadakiss had good reactions too. Also, Verb said something in the first about "I used to freestyle with the sound of mac rounds in the background", was nice.

T Top vs City Towers-6
Rewatched it once, a few months ago. I don't really like T Top, but he showed up heavy. Brizz was annoying as a cheerleader. City had some really dope stuff too.

Reed Dollaz vs JJDD- 2
JJDD cooked him, but I don't remember anything about either of them. "its in the car"

Dot vs Chess- 3
Dot was funny in the second about Chess helping his mom with the garbage lol

Rex vs Cortez- 2
Whatever

Big T vs B Magic- 4
Magic was stupid in the first. Jadakiss reaction after that "big metal rounds like collection plates" is funny. Magics line of "Big T will die/dye with the peace on him like hippy clothes" is in my top 5 name flips of all time. That was soooo stupid. That choke tho. Big T's reverse of the "my gun so big" in the third was awesome. Even Magic was cracking up.

The Saga vs Blaq Muggu- 7
Very entertaining all the way through. They both brought it. Saga would have edged it, but I gave it a tie because he had some da feet and here/hair lines. Saga said "lines you hate to see but can't avoid like crease in yo sneaks" was crazy. Muggu with that green ranger line was crazy too. Deboe was good in the background for this battle. I think Milltown too, iirc

Ms Hustle vs Gatta-7
Never rewatched, don't remember anything. Good battle tho

Stash vs Xcel- 9
This would be my battle of the year, if Stash had "read a book" and had a better first round. So many good lines from both. Stash went off. "the sun come out, I'll rock em, thats gargoyles" was crazy and daylyt's reaction was funny. "Blow x away, like jean gray in the last stand". Stash's homies played their part good. Xcel line of "I show up one deep, then I leave with the crowd" was nice. Theres a chick who goes "yes" after he says that, warms my heart.

Mr Wavy vs Prez Mafia- 5
Prez's first was crazyyyyyy. "Caught in the crossfire, like the mofuckin clan" was flames. The ending to that bar was crazy too. Prez had such a stupid line about "what does the fox say". The ring card girl was so annoying, peep her reaction when prez says something about ace hood's watch. In the third prez had a line about "strong rifle, and the bitch kickback like sean micheals". Wavy knew that was hot.

Uno Lavoz vs Jae Laww- 7
I was thoroughly entertained. Don't really remember anything specific, but they both funny dudes. Uno needs to stop that weird stuttering and drawing out lines.

Tsu Surf vs Hitman- 8
Hitman's first was crazy. Surf's third was crazy. The "crowd surf him to the hospital" was so stupid. The way Surf started the battle was perfect, warmed my heart too see the crowd joining in. Also, when he did the "lockpick the door", and the crowd also did the screeching noise, that was good stuff. The "you wanna speak to the inmate, press 9" was soooooooooooo crazy. Theres a bald dude behind surf, red shirt and sunglasses. He doesn't react to anything throughout the battle, other than that line. Was stupid hard. Also, after he says this line, Conceited is going crazy and spits in Smack's eye lmao.

Brizz vs Dot- 8
Very entertaining. Dot is too funny. Very good second round. He had line about "I'm strapped with heat" was crazy. Smack and Milltown in the back gave it props. Also, that "get on up, like James Brown" was crazy too. Theres a dude behind the judges, who had a good reaction. Scratch did too..

Anubis vs Xcel- 9
Crazy battle. Anubis said something like "one big arm like Hellboy". Anubis swag is all off lmao. Can't quite explain it but hopefully yall get it.

Damn, I gotta bounce, I'll do some more next week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Soo...

10897962_10203445651237828_7324466765526664046_n.jpg

...I'm URL bias and even this doesn't even look right to me. Also:

10806287_793147177400196_488367121529484470_n.jpg

how the fuck is Surf that high, what the fuck
am I just a Surf hater or are these people bugging

I see a bias in the lists regardless. Not to necessarily call folks out but that list of judges is bugging itself consider how biased it is towards specific styles.

LOL @ "Arsonals"

The list is terrible. Murda Mook belongs on no type of current top ten whatsoever. Him being on the top OAT is justified, I guess, because of his legacy and people's extreme reverence for him (still shouldn't be number one). He did well on that BET cypher.

Mook is a bad battle rapper. Actually he's worse than bad, he's fatally boring.

Other than that the bias is clear and strong, but it's coming from The War Report. It's a URL list. They had different "panel members" I guess, but it's still obviously URL.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOL @ "Arsonals"

The list is terrible. Murda Mook belongs on no type of current top ten whatsoever. Him being on the top OAT is justified, I guess, because of his legacy and people's extreme reverence for him (still shouldn't be number one). He did well on that BET cypher.

Mook is a bad battle rapper. Actually he's worse than bad, he's fatally boring.

Other than that the bias is clear and strong, but it's coming from The War Report. It's a URL list. They had different "panel members" I guess, but it's still obviously URL.
I don't think Mook is bad. He's a pioneer. His style has been disseminated into so many different MCs and his brand of personals is still one of the most cutthroat IMO. I've even grown appreciation for his Solomon performance over time even though it's boring as shit. He did exactly what he needed to do.

It's just Norbes trying to stir shit up I guess. Half of those judge aren't knowledgeable about anything but Smack, and the other half that are I doubt had any significant input.

I don't think Mook is bad. He's a pioneer. His style has been disseminated into so many different MCs and his brand of personals is still one of the most cutthroat IMO. I've even grown appreciation for his Solomon performance over time even though it's boring as shit. He did exactly what he needed to do.

You're not the only one I've seen say this, so there might be something to it but I'll never understand.

What he "needed to do" was not bore me to tears, and I didn't see it get done. So far all Mook as done in the modern era as far as I'm concerned is live off his legacy and get passes nobody else would.

Somehow he's managed to convince people that his "wins" matter when the battles themselves are practically unwatchable anyway. I don't get it.

that's damn near the only part of that battle I do remember.

are the total slaughter joints ever getting a real release? I almost forgot that event happened.

You're not the only one I've seen say this, so there might be something to it but I'll never understand.

What he "needed to do" was not bore me to tears, and I didn't see it get done. So far all Mook as done in the modern era as far as I'm concerned is live off his legacy and get passes nobody else would.

Somehow he's managed to convince people that his "wins" matter when the battles themselves are practically unwatchable anyway. I don't get it.

This. That was one of the first battles I watched when I got into battle rap back in 2013. I was expecting something great, I was bored as all hell and the crowd...the damn crowd lol!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBE: Goodz vs. Ah Di Boom.

Boom might have come with the best angles anyone ever has against Goodz. And I have to commend him for that and consistently surprising. I can't get excited for the dude but he shows up every time and he's getting better overall. Might edge it to Boom but some of Goodz' bars just pierce.
Move or GET MOVED

Also RBE's sound effects are so fucking corny and transparently added after the fact.

I mean, yeah the performance was still bad, but I guess not bad in the traditional "which one of your yes men okay'd these bars" type of way. I think Mook's Lux performance isn't all that great either TBH. IMO if it isn't rewatchable or some absolutely mindblowing performance the first time it's not a good performance. 5 round battles in general should be banned for eternity.

What props Mook up is his resume, and he will eat off of that forever because there is an eternal bias towards being from older eras of battle rap. Yeah, you battled Jae Millz, Serius and Lux, but claiming to be the best of all time? Oh, you had a bunch of battles off-camera with some MCs that were absolutely trash? Tell me more!

That's what props up people like Illmac, Clips, Serius, Lux, Arsonal and the Lionz Den generation for me (even if the Lionz Den format was more similar to todays than the GT one). Most of the GT rappers fell off heavy in this era because they couldn't adapt, but even I can give points to Lux for the Calicoe and Hollow performances. I'm ready to give Arsonal GOAT status before I give it to Lux or Mook, if I'm honest.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
T-Top's UFF run is pretty incredible. 3 battles in 2 days + the Sno battle. And almost all of his rounds are memorable and consistent. It's super impressive.

They say you got Saga on BET, you know, the Christian dude
I said I don't give a fuck n***a, my grandmother's a Christian too

I grew up in the church too, Saga. Now I'm a smack dealer.
And I'm not small-time either, I know Smack's dealer.

The gats hit 'em, we're not counting you out
Because you need bad for good, I'm tryna balance you out
I don't give a fuck what your image or status about
Because you can't pray fast enough with a gat in your mouth

I put a hole right in her face, without a reason to.
And you're supposed to turn your cheek, that's what they're teaching you
I turned around, stood my ground.. he had a heater too
I looked his bitch ass in the face like, what would Jesus do?

My asthma be actin' up, boy I ride with the pump
Stomach shot, let some air flow inside of your lungs

See while you was doing yard labour, I was with the jar shakers
Cooking back to get it back, that's hard labour

The judges.. they're gonna be mad because I'm pulling out heaters
And spazzing on Bow Wow like August Alsina

Ayo your bitch called my phone, she want me to put that thang on her
She said every since my John John battle, she had a thing for me
We ain't mention your name once, I got game homie
I didn't have to throw salt on Sno to clear the lane for me
I'm clocking in, 10 thousand's the pay
Ima school Sno, but ima need an hour delay

You don't want a casket bed, it's stiff as fuck
No alarm clock, your mother needs a shovel to get you up

She was living that Rich life, wasn't scared by the singers
'till a *bow* gave her a ring like Erica Mena

Selling half of grams of Sno, that cause all timers
We even had nickel bags for the small-timers
My bitch sells food stamps, we're all grinders
She'll do 30 on the dollar for the hard-timers

Oh you're a dope shooter? Me too, boy I'm a dope shooter.
Not a scope user, I slide in and get close to ya

pshhhh, T Top is nasty.

He's got some personality with his authentic af street life vignettes that most of these PG dudes lack.

Its not enough to just chop words in the air and spell phrases backwards anymore. (it never was)

KOTD: DNA vs. Rone

Rone the GOAT. I didn't need this, but it had it's moments.

yeah... not the kinds battle I'll ever go back and watch again but I guess it's better than having rone fucked out of another battle

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: HA Double vs. Ah Di Boom.

This might actually be the best SM4 Warm Up battle. Both dudes showed up all the rounds (lol, which feels like a rarity nowadays, they were talking to Teddy Grizzle about this on AFR recently too). That
Dalai Lama
wordplay from HA Double was ridiculous. I think I might edge it to HA Double but it's kind of a preference thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey guys, i'm a tad confused. BOTB7 is the next big event right? Then BO5?
Yeah I think right now it's:

BOTB7 next week
Some shitty UDUBB card next week
BO5 first week of Feb
Don't Flop 6.5 Birthday Event
URL Rookies vs Vets some time in late Jan/Early Feb (if they don't announce it soon, probably later than this)
Spit That Heat's No Witnesses March 29
RBE's Blood, Sweat and Tiers 2 on April 18
KOTD Boston May 15th
NOME 5 sometime in April/May
But we all know its going to be in June again

Don't know when the next Traphouse or Go-Rilla card is.

Also Clips was on War Report. Pretty much confirming he has T-Top for Rookies vs. Vets. That's pretty huge but I don't think Top is ready. At least Magic had to run through the mid tier guys to get to the top.

EDIT: Yo this latest AngryFan blog is so on the money.

Top Bottom