• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
catching up on all shit.

t top yall rookie of the year 2014
Either T-Top/Xcel/Brizz. I think Top probably the most impressive with his UFF run and the JJDD battle.

Lol, what do they say?

Watching some Xcel battles, this was posted a few days ago:

Xcel VS. Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VfQhoYTq4
They set you up to catch these bars, so you're the fall guy
My punches crack your ribs, leave your chest plate with fault lines
I will holla if your broad's fine
Bag her, then rob you, then take her out on y'all dime

iTh118ICTSYb.gif

Xcel vs. Jay Scott was pretty entertaining too.

EDIT: Lol at this fight after a Spit Dat Heat event. Dude legit tried to Lariat the other guy lmao

Furyous

Finally got around to watching Fab vs Arsonal. Arsonal won the first round but got beaten from the second onward. He was disrespectful to such an extent that he almost didn't make it out of there. Angry Fan's co-host Uncle Henny was happy with Ars for disrespecting Fab like that saying something like "that's how you should do these industry dudes". Fab had an entire crowd chant his bars! The shit was crazy. Anyone giving it Ars is doing so out of the disrespect factor.

That fight still has me cracking up. Every second is hilarious, like a shorter version of the math vs Diz fight.

Dude looks like Ahdi boom
Why the fuck does he start the video in a random hole lmao
Swinging punches
The other dudes combo punches at the end

I can't lol. Too funny

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apparently people from BOTB aren't getting paid Teddy Grizzle went ghost.
Yeah, this is crazy. The interview KG did yesterday was full of gems, did a cliffsnotes:

- Nitty hasn't still been paid in full for Ether
- Fab got paid ($30k) and Arsonal got paid ($10k range)
- KG got paid up front because he asked for his money up front and was supposed to be on DitD.
- KG is mad because Nitty hasn't been paid, Nitty doesn't want to say shit because he doesn't want to be caught in one of those Lush-esque excuses for not paying people
- Teddy Grizzle gave Mistah Fab 50 free ($50) tickets, and Fab just sold them himself for $75-$100, criticizes Teddy for having no spine, not Fab
- On top of that, up to 100 of Fab's dudes got in free
- Event had about 500-600 people total so yeah, not even a great turnout, at least 100 of those dudes were from Fab
- B Magic vs. Pass could have happened that night but Magic refused to battle because he didn't receive the other half of his pay (smart move), and Fab made up for it out of his pocket
- Grizzle inherited the debt Lush had from Ether
- Lush was in Phoenix with Grizzle when he owed people money, Grizzle said they were about to hit up the strip club
- Fab ended up paying some battler's deposits because he wanted to see them battle
- KG told Grizzle to build slow, instead he decided to
- Repeated "green light" threats from KG and saying he has 48 hours
- Grizzle overspent on DitD so much, flying out: Pat Stay, Calicoe, Smack's flight (KG already knew Smack wasn't going to go, apparently, because he already burnt bridges with URL way before we heard about it), Fab, Organik etc. Flew out over 50 people for the event, you didn't even see half of them.
- Organik trying his hardest to remedy the situation, but KG is just telling Organik to fall back from the West Coast at the moment because their representatives are fucking up event after event, and "a recurring issue" since the fall of GT, but really crumbled when Aspect One left
- KOTD lost $100k for Vendetta
- Sway didn't get paid at all for flying out
- Grizzle got some sort of inheritance or money released to him at some time, and hooked up with middleman Kief/Keith and put together DitD, which bled money
- When KG cancelled his Real Deal battle on DitD, 3 months before the event, Grizzle was disappointed because he already spent thousands on flyers, like wat
- Grizzle was trying to pay everyone off the income from the door, that's apparently not usually the case
- Grizzle even owes Organik money

Yeah, I think it's time for Lush to just stop. His fuckery is too consistent at this point.

Furyous

This whole shit is mad sus because Lush had issues before this. He said on AngryFan that this event would go off without incident. This tells us a few things moving forward:

This is the final straw for industry artists stepping into the ring because the market can't afford to pay them and the rest of the people on the card. This business either needs to go corporate or drop a level to focus on getting things right.

Leagues need a new revenue stream so this doesn't happen.

KOTD has to do damage control and find a way to reinvigorate their brand. No more licensing KOTD for anything. If it happens make sure everything is up to KOTD standards.

Battlers must research these leagues before signing a contract or agreeing to battle. At least they know the likelihood of getting fucked over.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This whole shit is mad sus because Lush had issues before this. He said on AngryFan that this event would go off without incident. This tells us a few things moving forward:

This is the final straw for industry artists stepping into the ring because the market can't afford to pay them and the rest of the people on the card. This business either needs to go corporate or drop a level to focus on getting things right.

KOTD has to do damage control and find a way to reinvigorate their brand. No more licensing KOTD for anything. If it happens make sure everything is up to KOTD standards.

Battlers must research these leagues before signing a contract or agreeing to battle. At least they know the likelihood of getting fucked over.
It just comes down to sustainability. Few league owners/investors understand that, and they're also the same small group of people that realize a lot of these big pay days and elevated pay checks have only been possible due to sponsors that really don't get much out of it. Whether it be the EBL guy, Diddy during SM2, etc.

It's just come to the point where money is compromising the match ups in general for me. Bigg K vs. B Magic, T-Rex vs. Cortez, etc. All would have been great battles if there wasn't a quick, smaller pay day involved. All that history and anticipation silenced. It's depressing.

mileS

How is it the fault of Lush or Organik? Teddy Grizzle was more in control of this even than anyone else. Yea its under the KOTD brand but its clear to see a lot of these issues are from Grizzle being a dumbass more than anything.

Regardless I'm tired of these big name events turning out to be full of this fuckery and bullshit. People used to talk about how much Battle Rap has grown and where its going but all of these big opportunities have ended up doing more damage to the scene than good.

On another note, Ace Jab Bell vs Carter Deems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ0syIcs9cg
Carter Deems is the GOAT

Even if leagues could afford the exorbitant prices, or could negotiate reasonable ones with industry artists. I think at this point we've seen consistently that the type of general audience, "non battle fan" crowds these dudes bring to the table is disruptive to live events and generally not worth it.

Total Slaughter had a weird crowd, Ether had a weird crowd, Botb7 had a weird crowd with like 35% fab relatives and close friends. The only industry rapper event where the crowd really kept up with battle bars was Vendetta. That probably has more to do with the relative draw of Canibus vs Joe Budden, Cassidy or FAB too.

I think realistically KOTD needs these next two events: Blackout 5 and the Boston Massacre card to go off without a hitch. An event as big as BO5 is always gonna have some complications but it's gonna have to go really smooth.

You're exactly right about licensing. If somebody wants to play the Drake roll and sponsor an event then cool. But let the KOTD staff handle the particulars. Don't come in with no experience in battle rap thinking you can handle promotion and event organizing.

How is it the fault of Lush or Organik? Teddy Grizzle was more in control of this even than anyone else. Yea its under the KOTD brand but its clear to see a lot of these issues are from Grizzle being a dumbass more than anything.

Grizzle brought KOTD on after a lot of the business had already been solidified and was going poorly because of his incompetence. Essentially they were brought on to fix his mess. Lush needs to take an L on this one because he was dumb enough to link up with Teddy. Most likely because Grizzle agreed to take on the debts from Ether.

Whatever the case may be making the call to not only have an event with this much fuckery associated with KOTD but also associated with the Battle Of The Bay legacy was a terrible look. In an especially sensitive time coming off the heels of Ether.

The last good Fresh Coast event (BOLA 5) had no outside influence, just the KOTD west staff. Lush linked up with 3 dudes for events since then. 2/3 have bombed to various degrees. This doesn't make things look good for the upcoming boston event which also has some non-KOTD rando involved in the financing.

It remains to be seen if he's playing an integral roll running the actual event or if he'll let KOTD operate uninhibited. But given how things have gone recently it's not looking good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Both of these Carter Deems battles
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh
kttcoliohhh

i am in tears
holy shit

Hey mellz, reccomend me the best Ogmios performances, going through some of the recent ones on my backlog now.

Someone help me pls

Theres a line in a battle where someone says

"whos really the vet....whos really the rook?"

I thought it was Tay Rock vs Clips, but it's not.

I'm losing my mind.

Anybody watching BO5 and plan on doing updates? I would've bought the PPV for $20, i'm out for $50, even though it includes both days.

Yo that second frrom Shotty

Eh, that wasn't as good as it could've been. But Shotty 3-0 for me, even though overall his pen game was lacking from what it usually is. Hitman started his first round ok...then it just wasn't happening from that point on. I could tell a lot was getting to him also.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Repeating what I said in the chat room here but you can tell the (prospect of) $10k as well as the scuffle was affecting both of them, but Hitman moreso. Shotty was more thorough throughout, I give it to him 2-1, giving Hitman the 2nd. There was way too much fuckery between the chokes and the stupidly short time limits for me to judge it accurately but I just get the feel that Shotty was more thorough.

They both came sort of light, but at the same time it wasn't really as bad as a T-Rex vs. Cortez.

I don't get why KOTD books 5 fucking minute championship titles but then goes 2:30 for something like this. Severe disadvantage for rappers that rap slower. 3 minutes should always be the standard IMO, best compromise for both storytelling and some of the straighter shooters. I respect Shotty for enforcing the time limit they agreed upon though, but at the end of the day the battle just fell short of expectations. Missed Hollohan vs. T-Rex but I would say Shuffle-T had both the best performance and battle otherwise today.

Repeating what I said in the chat room here but you can tell the (prospect of) $10k as well as the scuffle was affecting both of them, but Hitman moreso. Shotty was more thorough throughout, I give it to him 2-1, giving Hitman the 2nd. There was way too much fuckery between the chokes and the stupidly short time limits for me to judge it accurately but I just get the feel that Shotty was more thorough.

They both came sort of light, but at the same time it wasn't really as bad as a T-Rex vs. Cortez.

I don't get why KOTD books 5 fucking minute championship titles but then goes 2:30 for something like this. Severe disadvantage for rappers that rap slower. 3 minutes should always be the standard IMO, best compromise for both storytelling and some of the straighter shooters. I respect Shotty for enforcing the time limit they agreed upon though, but at the end of the day the battle just fell short of expectations. Missed Hollohan vs. T-Rex but I would say Shuffle-T had both the best performance and battle otherwise today.

I agree about the 3mins. I heard Rex and Hollohan was trash. That Shuffle-T and Kid Twist battle had some entertaining moments, I felt like it was dragging though. Ars and DNA completely shit the bed and I am done giving them both the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Hitman-Shotty
https://vid.me/7pM5

Hitman had a better second round than I originally thought.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree about the 3mins. I heard Rex and Hollohan was trash. That Shuffle-T and Kid Twist battle had some entertaining moments, I felt like it was dragging though. Ars and DNA completely shit the bed and I am done giving them both the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Hitman-Shotty
https://vid.me/7pM5

Hitman had a better second round than I originally thought.
Watching it again now, I think the first is debatable now too. Shotty rapped for so much longer than Hitman, like they counted all of Hitman's crowd reaction but not Shotty's. I'd think I'd only give the 3rd clearly to Shotty.

Probably just gonna wait for it to be cleaned up and just judge the edited version, which feels disingenuous, but I'm slowly learning all these leagues clean the footage up considerably anyways and have done so for years.

EDIT: Man 2nd is hard to judge, super debatable. Still generally feeling Shotty a tiny bit more. Okay I'm going to stop. lol

I think they are all really close rounds, I just edged the 3 of them to Shotty. I could definitely understand 2-1.

That view from the 6 line was my favorite bar.

Daylyt and Charron better put on today.

Eurgh vs 24/7 was dope I can remember some standout lines and rebbutals from it. Eurgh said 24/7's florida backyard looks like the ewok planet lol. Missed too much of the battle to rlly speak on its quality but skimming live updates most ppl seemed impressed especially with 24/7's rounds. His 3rd and bars about diz spitting in eurghs face were nice.

That kid twist and shuffle t was a fucking great battle. Many standout moments and great content throughout. I know I'll love the final edit even more too. Shuffle T and Marlo had great angles, comedic timing and were super clever as always. I think they edged it from having superior 2v2 chemistry but a great battle overall.

Bishop was surprisingly dope. Some of his wordplay was a clearly rote. Die here/dye hair lines and the like. But he had some solid lines too and some interspersed real talk moments bolstered by confident delivery. Ars shit the bed. He was on track to a decent Ars performance but the choking and wack frees hurt him bad. Nagl for him coming off the FAB battle that he was universally praised for.

Didnt catch Hollohan and Trex saw some impressions that Trex did well but didnt read many tbh.

Illmac and DNA was a bodybag. Illmac killed that boy. The impression, the flow, the punches, the imagery, the rhyme schemes, the angles, the frees (except for the 2nd rd). Illmac was cooking. DNA was visably upset. I already geeked severly on the chat so ill cut it here.

Shotty vs Hitman was so weird. Need to watch it again. Theres some good content there and hopefully avacado's editing magic can bring it to the forefront and make the final cut of this thing really shine. It seems like the details for this battle werent fully worked out in the wake of the 10k bet. I think ganik wouldve let either go over limits a bit and finish but shottys initial time complaints put him on alert. Theres pressure to make it as fair as possible with 10 racks on the line.

That, compounded with the fight the vibe was definetely somewhat off. Props to the KOTD crowd though for staying with it for the most part despite fuckery.

It was cool to see a massive crowd at an event with a huge card like this with no booing and other distracting bullshit. I hope that trend continues over into day 2.

overall i was happy with the battles i caught and the watching live while chatting experience is always fun.

I rlly like the discussion of small rooms in battling but i also think its become something of an excuse for dudes who throw wack poorly timed events as well. So its nice to see a big event like this controlled relatively well to prove it can be done.

mellz

recommend me the best Ogmios performances, going through some of the recent ones on my backlog now.

Oh sorry haven't checked the thread for a while, you should really watch almost all his battles, I don't think he ever lost, maybe against Bamalam but I only checked it out once since it's one of his worst. Also don't watch the 2vs2 he did.

You should just start with his tryout which is three one minute rounds, he absolutely kills the other guy, that potato stuff is goat.

His two best performances in my opinion are against Mos Prob and Cee Major, then Lego or Matter. You should also watch the Nils M Skills, QP, Oshea, Real Deal, Aukes, Youthoracle, Adam The Rapper and Eek battles.

He has a ridiculous amount of quotables against Mos and absolutely bodies him in my opinon. Seriously it's a character assassination.

big metal buzzer, class hamster,all the article stuff is amazing, demo songs of casio keyboards, formaldehyde preserved corpse of a shark, gave up on the comedian... HNNNHG, surreal joke... you at peak performance, mos def.. two can and a metronome, hiding your hatred within jokes like a minstrel show* HNNNG, the mos scheme ending round two, enabling us to chip and pin, the ghost of..., eurgh david attenborough and birds then goes into that RIDICULOUS "colonist scheme" how mos prob is just a colonist, backtracking to that part earlier that rap is just a joke to mos prob, around here your BA don't fly.

"you're not an anthropologist, you're a bank quote apologist, for daddy and his politics, stepping on the scene with the attitude of a colonist, but I'm Crazy Horse, bringing your apocalypse, tracing the course of coporatives, arrows that arrow through top and bottom lips and pin your tongue to your esophagus" THAT IS PURE FUCKING FIRE HNGGG

And the best stuff against Cee Major:

look like a christian rapper, run for your mosque stuff, don't mecca me do it, bought gta 5 just to play tennis, top comment... funny looking brother, undercover EDL stuff, virgins in the sky, sex to night she lied, christian marcus/markers in her palm like stigmata HNGGGG, joined a website instead of joining a religion, going out on a limb and getting bodied by your own ignorance HNGGGGGG, the percetage stuff,

A lot of people complain about his delivery, but it suits his style perfectly and you will notice that it gives him amazing crowd control. And he can rap, this song is really good, check it out. Also check out The Ogmios Show. Ok gonna stop fanboying now lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drect, Poison Pen, Conceited & Daylyt recap Day 1. Pretty good discussion.

Oh sorry haven't checked the thread for a while, you should really watch almost all his battles, I don't think he ever lost, maybe against Bamalam but I only checked it out once since it's one of his worst. Also don't watch the 2vs2 he did.

You should just start with his tryout which is three one minute rounds, he absolutely kills the other guy, that potato stuff is goat.

His two best performances in my opinion are against Mos Prob and Cee Major, then Lego or Matter. You should also watch the Nils M Skills, QP, Oshea, Real Deal, Aukes, Youthoracle, Adam The Rapper and Eek battles.

He has a ridiculous amount of quotables against Mos and absolutely bodies him in my opinon. Seriously it's a character assassination.

big metal buzzer, class hamster,all the article stuff is amazing, demo songs of casio keyboards, formaldehyde preserved corpse of a shark, gave up on the comedian... HNNNHG, surreal joke... you at peak performance, mos def.. two can and a metronome, hiding your hatred within jokes like a minstrel show* HNNNG, the mos scheme ending round two, enabling us to chip and pin, the ghost of..., eurgh david attenborough and birds then goes into that RIDICULOUS "colonist scheme" how mos prob is just a colonist, backtracking to that part earlier that rap is just a joke to mos prob, around here your BA don't fly.

"you're not an anthropologist, you're a bank quote apologist, for daddy and his politics, stepping on the scene with the attitude of a colonist, but I'm Crazy Horse, bringing your apocalypse, tracing the course of coporatives, arrows that arrow through top and bottom lips and pin your tongue to your esophagus" THAT IS PURE FUCKING FIRE HNGGG

And the best stuff against Cee Major:

look like a christian rapper, run for your mosque stuff, don't mecca me do it, bought gta 5 just to play tennis, top comment... funny looking brother, undercover EDL stuff, virgins in the sky, sex to night she lied, christian marcus/markers in her palm like stigmata HNGGGG, joined a website instead of joining a religion, going out on a limb and getting bodied by your own ignorance HNGGGGGG, the percetage stuff,

A lot of people complain about his delivery, but it suits his style perfectly and you will notice that it gives him amazing crowd control. And he can rap, this song is really good, check it out. Also check out The Ogmios Show. Ok gonna stop fanboying now lol.
Thanks.

I hate that he's one of the most consistent chokers but he's so amusing :(

Furyous

Madchild is cooking GOTDAMN but I give it to Madchild. Industry rappers are 2-0 (3-0 after EDIT) this year in battles. That almost N word part of the battle gets Madchild dragged in the USA.

CD'S PUSHED BACK I TRIED TO GIVE THEM DETOX..... (ad lib) GOLDUST N****
*Cassidy face at that shit*

ARP fought Queenzflip?! Battle rap isn't advancing past its current stage if this keeps up....

*EDIT*

Bishop Brigante beat Arsonal, allegedly and ill Mac 3-0'd DNA. These dudes are falling off by taking too many battles. It's so bad Angry Fan is begging them (DNA and T-Rex) to step it up.

Bishop Brigante beat Arsonal, allegedly and ill Mac 3-0'd DNA. These dudes are falling off by taking too many battles. It's so bad Angry Fan is begging them (DNA and T-Rex) to step it up.

Oh, there's nothing alleged about that 3-0 body. Illmac kicked DNA's soul to the pit. Conceited even told him he lost after the battle lol.

also DNA didn't fall off... he's been trash!!! D:'

edit:
KOTD: T-Rex Vs. Hollohan [Bootleg]
KOTD: Blackout 5: Pat Stay Vs. Charron [Bootleg]
KOTD: Thesaurus Vs. J-Pro [Bootleg
KOTD – Blackout 5: Head Ice Vs. Serius Jones [Bootleg]

mileS

Late catching up to the battles. 1 down so far. Day vs Madchild was crazzzzzy. fuck yea. Can't wait to watch the rest, props for the links fellas.

Looking for that Kid Twist Shuffle T battle.

Wow I just watched Pat vs Charron again and that shit was close as hell. That shit Pat was talking about everyone sounding the same and the scene depending on his classics was fierce. Charrons angle still carried weight even without Hollohan switching sides.

Damn that was a good battle. Best title match so far, cant wait till the footage drops.

3-0 you're done. 3-0 you're terrible. I love how obvious the hate is at the end of illmacs third.

DNA would be on suicide watch rn if he wasnt already dead.

haha cold.

Pat/Charron was a great battle. Personally I still think I'd have given it to Charron overall, Pat had higher highs but the first half of his second was weak and Charron was more consistent. I still think Pat edged 1 and 3 but Charron smashed the 2nd so I can see why judges went the way they did.
The hollohan move would have capped it off but with Charron already taking the second decisively I doubt it would have swayed the decision.

I think Dumbfounded v Conceited was the most debatable, can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Top Bottom