• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Title means jack shit. Toronto won't let Stay lose. Which is probably for the better because that means Charron will continue to get better opponents.

No troll, he should get Hollow next. Incredibly impressed with Charron mixing his frees with writtens absolutely effortlessly, even moreso than Hollow. Hollow has brought up Charron as a potential opponent multiple times, the match up would be sick, and would be a great KOTD debut for Hollow against a KOTD native, which is usually how it works.

mileS

Completely agree. Charron is better off without the title, he deserves it, but he is better off not being held back by it. Reading his twitter he had to rearrange his 3rd on the spot because it was based around having Hollohan there. Which if anyone didn't know, he got denied stage access last minute basically. He did pretty good despite that, but obviously not as polished as it would have been if everything went as planned.

Still haven't seen Eurgh vs 24/7... heard that was battle of the night day 1. Can't find a link. Really want to see Shuffle T and Kid Twist as well, heard a spoiler about our boy Knamelis (hope you still read GAF buddy) being a part of that battle.

So far my favorite two battles are Con vs Dumbfoundead (shout outs to dumb coming back and showing that oldschool style can still destroy if done right) and Day vs Madchild (classic) Overall Blackout 5 seems to be a success imo.

Maybe if Kid Twist wanted it and he came out with three stellar rounds I could see the chain changing hands. The level of love he gets during introductions rivals Pat Stay. Barring that happening I don't see it happening unless Pat shits the bed.

They should still set up Pat vs Illmac regardless because that would be a fire as match, especially if both were at their best.

I still give that battle to Charron. But Pat fucking slayed at the beginning of his first round and mid his third. Really proved me wrong.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Random thoughts about BO5:

- Event had quite a significant number of rewatchable battles: Con vs. Dumb, Stay vs. Charron (best title match ever perhaps), Eurgh vs. 24/7, Kid Twist vs. Shuffle T, Rone vs. Big T, The Saurus vs. J-Pro and maybe Shotty vs. Hitman (depending on how it's edited). Successful event overall IMO. With that many matches on the card, you're bound to have half of them be duds, so I don't really put that against them.

- Not great battles, but Daylyt and Illmac caught serious bodies, and I look forward to at least rewatching their rounds.

- Overall, fuck these short ass rounds. A lot of these battles are like <15 mins on the PPV, bout to be like 9 minute YouTube videos. And some of these guys still couldn't fill these short ass rounds with good material SMH

- Skelly vs. Marvwon was forgettable. 1-2 hot bars from Skelly in each round, Marv was okay. Marv 3-0 or 2-1 (2nd to Skelly)

- Chilla came light; that's 3 performances in a row now. This is a black eye on him trying to get back on the main stage. How do you let 100 Bulletz style on you? Overall forgettable battle, Chilla's shit wasn't that dense either TBH. Between the personals and the impression, it's a bad look for his career. People already didn't want to battle him, now he's lost to 100 Bulletz. Think about that. 100 Bulletz' name is lower than Nuborn's even. Time to stop ducking Nuborn I guess. No less than a 2-1 from 100 Bulletz, personally I give the 3rd to Chilla.

- Rich Dolarz didn't show up. He was lame in his comeback vs. Jimz (you got 3-0'd by Jimz fam) and judging by this thread nobody cared in the first place. Go back into hiding and preserve your legacy.

- At this rate, Rex will get murdered by Danny Myers. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think Rex has ran out of juice. I think he did better than he did vs. Clips, but it wasn't enough. It was mediocre. This is a shame because I think seeing Rex at his best with Syndicate Cartel editing would have been incredible.

- T-Rex gets to spit in front of Drake, thinks a fake DVD IG'd by Smack was real and now he's no longer loyal to Smack? He forgot already that he spent a year contracted to Battle America? FOH.

- Hollohan was awful. I mean I know he doesn't battle that often, but I don't believe he's hungry or anything. You got the best match up of your career, spit that complete bullshit for 3 rounds straight and lost to Rex at 50%? Retire. Does anyone care about Hollohan anymore? Is anyone checking for him? He had two hot lines the entire battle and delivered them horribly (Inspector Gadget, Gilette Fusion). Yeah, retire.

- Arsonal how do you choke and lose to Bishop Brigante? Embarassing. Nothing more to say, just, embarassing.

- Tycoon Tax stepped it up. Fuck him still tho

- Head ICE vs. Serius Jones was a weird battle. I'll watch it once in case they edit it not to be weird, but it was weird. ICE was just yelling a lot and Serius really wasn't saying shit.

- The Saurus was more entertaining than usual. He should prepare less more often. "You're the most embarassing thing in battle rap since Chris Unbias' mustache" and "I don't feel this pussy, Charron when he drills Tarsi" won me over for J-Pro. Overall battle was kind of weird, but much better than ICE vs Serius.

- What's this about ARP and Queenzflip fighting? WTF? Over what?

Great breakdown enzo. Agree with the vast majority of what you said. Especially about that Hollohan performance. Jesus Christ, could dude stop giggling excessively after every fucking scheme? He's trying to portray this tough guy image and he giggles like a school girl after all his bars; shits just weird. And most of it was weak with no structure. These fools really need to take classes from Illmac on how to link and segue their concepts.

Hollohan was tight vs Cortez, I don't know what happening to him but this is two disappointments in a row so I'm not looking forward to him on any events from now on.

- Not great battles, but Daylyt and Illmac caught serious bodies, and I look forward to at least rewatching their rounds.

- Overall, fuck these short ass rounds. A lot of these battles are like <15 mins on the PPV, bout to be like 9 minute YouTube videos. And some of these guys still couldn't fill these short ass rounds with good material SMH

Hmmm, I didn't mind the short rounds as much but I'm finding certain rappers cant adjust to the brevity. Hitman in particular, I felt needed more time to warm up. Or maybe it was just the entire weirdness surrounding the time keeping in that battle? IDK. Even 3 minutes over 2 30 would have been cool. Especially since dude was getting cut off at 2.

I will say this though. Short rounds make bodybag battles a lot more fun to watch. One of the reasons Clips vs Rex is such a watchable body is because Rex only rapped for 30 seconds before Clips went back to whipping his ass.

- Chilla came light; that's 3 performances in a row now. This is a black eye on him trying to get back on the main stage. How do you let 100 Bulletz style on you? Overall forgettable battle, Chilla's shit wasn't that dense either TBH. Between the personals and the impression, it's a bad look for his career. People already didn't want to battle him, now he's lost to 100 Bulletz. Think about that. 100 Bulletz' name is lower than Nuborn's even. Time to stop ducking Nuborn I guess. No less than a 2-1 from 100 Bulletz, personally I give the 3rd to Chilla.

Chilla is so weird with his career moves at this point... His best battle in a while was vs Cee Major in DF and he keeps taking these dumb battles. After you have a classic with Daylyt you should move on to bigger shit than 100 Bulletz and Real Deal (no offense to real deal, just accounting for popularity). I never saw his Yung Ill battle because the audio was so garbage. Maybe he was decent in that.

Apparently he wont battle born because he's not a name. I kinda get it, especially if he's holding out on URL for a bigger battle. BUT his biggest battle ever is vs JC who wasn't all that popular when the battle came out. He should realize people want classics from him. He's one of the few people that can actually slow burn to a million with a mid-tier battle.

That being said the 100 Bulletz battle was cool. A 6.5/10 watchable and had some cool lines but neither one of them had that captivating energy/ intense back and forth you get from a classic.

Does anyone care about Hollohan anymore?.

I know I don't.

- The Saurus was more entertaining than usual. He should prepare less more often. "You're the most embarassing thing in battle rap since Chris Unbias' mustache" and "I don't feel this pussy, Charron when he drills Tarsi" won me over for J-Pro. Overall battle was kind of weird, but much better than ICE vs Serius.

If you were in to Saurus' peformance in this you should really check out TheSaurus vs Ness Lee and TheSaurus vs Bender. If you haven't already. Highly entertaining battles that perfectly encapsulate his blend of comedy, angles and punches.

Also the AFR interview of him bodying Quest Mcody. Quest called in the middle of TheSaurus talking with AFR about the Teddy Grizzle situation and called Pete out for a battle. Saurus proceeds to ruin his end his entire life, shit gets ugly.

- What's this about ARP and Queenzflip fighting? WTF? Over what?

I heard QF bit ARP's neck or some shit? Fool's gassed off the daylyt bar. Angry Fan was ranting about how everyone was talking about this instead of Blackout 5 but I really haven't seen anything on it at all. Does anybody know what happened?

mileS

- Arsonal how do you choke and lose to Bishop Brigante? Embarassing. Nothing more to say, just, embarassing.

He started off swinging but shit the bed and fell off pretty quickly. On paper yea, the thought of him losing to Bishop is embarassing. That being said, I was fairly impressed with Bishop here. His delivery was on point, some crazy bars here and there. Never thought I'd ever say this but... I really want to see him battle again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hollow Da Don talking about future match ups. Says Charron might be premature but he's down, says he has to wait to see the Stay performance first. Wouldn't rematch Arsonal because UW still owes him money (I don't get why people are pushing for that rematch, why does anyone want that?).

Hollohan was tight vs Cortez, I don't know what happening to him but this is two disappointments in a row so I'm not looking forward to him on any events from now on.

Hmmm, I didn't mind the short rounds as much but I'm finding certain rappers cant adjust to the brevity. Hitman in particular, I felt needed more time to warm up. Or maybe it was just the entire weirdness surrounding the time keeping in that battle? IDK. Even 3 minutes over 2 30 would have been cool. Especially since dude was getting cut off at 2.

I will say this though. Short rounds make bodybag battles a lot more fun to watch. One of the reasons Clips vs Rex is such a watchable body is because Rex only rapped for 30 seconds before Clips went back to whipping his ass.

Chilla is so weird with his career moves at this point... His best battle in a while was vs Cee Major in DF and he keeps taking these dumb battles. After you have a classic with Daylyt you should move on to bigger shit than 100 Bulletz and Real Deal (no offense to real deal, just accounting for popularity). I never saw his Yung Ill battle because the audio was so garbage. Maybe he was decent in that.

Apparently he wont battle born because he's not a name. I kinda get it, especially if he's holding out on URL for a bigger battle. BUT his biggest battle ever is vs JC who wasn't all that popular when the battle came out. He should realize people want classics from him. He's one of the few people that can actually slow burn to a million with a mid-tier battle.
Hollohan vs. Cortez was a fantastic battle, one of the best battles on KOTD TBH. Agree with you about bodies & time.

Agree with you about Chilla. Forgot about the Ill battle.. which is also reflective of it's quality. I think Chilla kind of edged it.

He started off swinging but shit the bed and fell off pretty quickly. On paper yea, the thought of him losing to Bishop is embarassing. That being said, I was fairly impressed with Bishop here. His delivery was on point, some crazy bars here and there. Never thought I'd ever say this but... I really want to see him battle again.
Oh I didn't mean to discredit Bishop, he did his thing. I cosign everything you just said about Bishop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Daylyt says he has Lux locked in this year... so SM5?

Chris Unbias salty everyone is slowly realizing how terrible his mustache is. Lmao. He's also saying Day 2 made up for Day 1 but admits he missed out on so many of the Day 1 battles.

DBD Show EP 45 Exclusive Interview With Teddy Grizzle's Roommate

SEVERAL gems in this shit. I don't want to spoil anything, but thanksgiving at the Grizzle's is extra special. (phone audio starts off low but gets better soon into the interview)
Man, this shit just got worse and worse. TBH this is everything I expected Grizzle to be so it's not that surprising to me, but I wonder where this goes from here. At least the notion that KOTD might be skipping the middle (grizzle?) man and going straight to paying off battlers from the PPV funds is good.

The Charron shit is terrible, but he still won in my eyes. Pat Stay can say he's forever the champ because the judges will never let him lose. The entire situation is fucked. Mook and Drake were supposed to battle but it cut out last minute? I doubt it. Charron doing this stage gimmick with Hollohan would have led to a fight? I doubt it. Whether Charron got punked or not, I don't care. Passed the threshold of fuckery I can tolerate.

As for that Queenzflip interview, shit is a classic. Absolutely lost it when he was like "he a cool dude, fuck that n***a tho, he cool man." And then the cologne comment lmao

YOOO look at DNA's face during 24/7's "head lice" flip.

He's so confused lol.

haha, so glad I kept an eye out for that. Cracked me up when he was trying to rebuttal illmac by saying that he's to stupid to understand illmacs bars.

Enjoyed both eurgh - 24/7 and shuffle - twist.
Thought 24/7 probably took the eurgh battle, sometimes eurgh panders to the crowd too much over bars that arent as good as he thinks they are.

Shuffle - Twist was just fun all round.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Arsonal vs. Mistah F.A.B. Don't even want to watch this TBH.

Hollohan exposing Organik. Damn, 'ganik. In 2009 you was the man, ''ganik. :(

Gjonaj interview on AFR. Basically, URL has had his demands for a contract for months now, and they've been negotiating for nearly 4 months. He doesn't know what he's gonna do yet but he said if nothing happens he might have Danny Myers on BAR WARS + 1 other opponent. He seems pretty optimistic about URL, but at the same time he primarily wants to make sure he can get the match ups he wants (doesn't care if they're frequent or not) and feels he might be cockblocked on URL because he's not black.

Anyways, any match ups y'all looking forward to happening in 2015? Some for me:

Ty Law vs. B Magic
Loaded Lux vs. Daylyt
Gjonaj vs. T Top
Tay Roc vs. Calicoe

Hollohan exposing Organik. Damn, 'ganik. In 2009 you was the man, ''ganik. :(

I don't buy that there isn't more to the story than Hollohan is letting on. He's way to keen on subtly giving himself props "everyone used to say Organik was my dick rider" and his story that Organik just flipped out suddenly while he was telling the story of how they became friends reeks of bullshit.

Hollohan seems salty as ever. Trying to make Ganik out to be a snake. Too bad the seated venue actually did produce a great crowd and the BO5 PPV was probably the best they've done.

Never heard of Gjonaj. Recommend some battles.

ALPHA LEAGUE PRESENTS: GJONAJ VS OT 7EVEN

this is the battle that has me hyped for him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ty Law says his URL One-Off is with Bill Collector. Damn, Ty Law tryna fight all of Philly huh? Anyways, this is a weird match up.

ARP responds to Queenzflip and then Queenzflip responds to that. Queens get the money.

I don't buy that there isn't more to the story than Hollohan is letting on. He's way to keen on subtly giving himself props "everyone used to say Organik was my dick rider" and his story that Organik just flipped out suddenly while he was telling the story of how they became friends reeks of bullshit.

Hollohan seems salty as ever. Trying to make Ganik out to be a snake. Too bad the seated venue actually did produce a great crowd and the BO5 PPV was probably the best they've done.
lol. Not really buying much of that. Doesn't help that hes clearly on something during this video. Direct is kind of being a bitch putting this video up tbh.
Damn, it's like that? I only felt he used the dick rider thing to set up that he was really interested in Pat Stay and Organik lied. What I got out of this anyways was Organik's habit of lashing out. If that's complete bullshit, then so be it but dude just putting it out there makes it seem like he wouldn't unless it was facts because that opens him up to being called out pretty easily. Also he seemed pretty calm/sober to me, then again I don't know any cokeheads *shrug*

idk if he was on anything in the video, I have seen multiple ppl speculate that. But it's besides the point as far as I'm concerned.

I just dont buy the story that they were boys but Ganik's feelings of inferiority toward Hollohan lead him to suddenly snap and lash out from resentment. Especially with there being no evidence besides Hollohan's word. Hollo seems like the bitter one in this blog, if anything.

Making it super personal trying to deconstruct Organik's public persona. But everything he mentions did actually turn out how Organik said it leading up to BO5. The seated venue produced a more attentive crowd and the PPV experience was the best they've done so far.

It reminds me of certain people who've told me incredibly slanted stories, where I've happened to be privy to both sides. There's never any admission of fault on their part and the other person is almost always jealous of them in some fashion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spit That Heat: PG Skillet vs. Genocide. This shit is FIRE, and debatable. Genocide has this weird half-familiar half-not style, like a minigun revving up and down. Highly recommend watching this.

Spit That Heat: Ace Jab Bell vs. Snypa. TLE been talking about this, but I think I enjoy the crowd in this battle more than the bars itself. Literally burst out laughing at times. Both these dudes have potential. I've liked Ace Jab Bell in everything I've seen him in, and I think he just needs an x-factor kind of thing to make him interesting enough to stick.

Rone: Chronicles of a White Boy. Jabbing at why URL rappers won't battle white guys lol RONE DA GAWD. In and out of battle rap Rone is one of the most entertaining IMO.

mileS

Rone is hilarious and always entertaining. Needs to do a show/podcast like the Dirtbag Dan show. He was on that a few times, great episodes.

Sucks that he had so many no-show opponents lately. Probably the worst luck out of any battler of all time as far as that goes really. He killed it at Blackout this year. Hope to see more soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's supposedly an all-white battle on Rookies vs. Vets. What could it be?

Sno vs. Real Deal?
Gjonaj vs. Rone?
Charron vs. The Ghost of Iron Solomon?
Young Robbles vs. Okwerdz hat?

HYPE THRU DA RUF
WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT WHITE HOPE?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Lotta Zay vs. Rum Nitty.

That stage looks extra sexy. The look of this venue :whew: Second is debatable, but Zay got murdered in the first and third. Sounded a lot like Zay was having difficulty going through his material.

Also Rookies vs. Vets is March 28th and NOME 5 is on May 9th. Summer Madness might actually be in the heat of summer this time! Also B Magic vs. Ty Law is moved to Rookies vs. Vets 2 :(

It'll be cool when this venue and these production values wont be squandered on a half dead audience of Mr Fab fans waiting for him to recite the hook from "New Oakland."

Glad Teddy Grizzle's no longer involved in battle rap. Letting him make decisions was in itself one of the worst decisions in battle rap history.

Can anybody here give me a rundown of these smaller battle leagues? And apparently they have "beefs" with one another. I think it's We Go Hard, Spit Dat Heat, Traphouse, RBE. Probably a few more I'm missing but those are the names I see pop up the most. I'm not really familiar with them but I know a vast majority of the new guys come from these platforms.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anybody here give me a rundown of these smaller battle leagues? And apparently they have "beefs" with one another. I think it's We Go Hard, Spit Dat Heat, Traphouse, RBE. Probably a few more I'm missing but those are the names I see pop up the most. I'm not really familiar with them but I know a vast majority of the new guys come from these platforms.
WeGoHardTV and TrapHouseNY have been kind of brewing a rivalry, I'm not sure how it started as the story seems to change every other day, but basically it's a "we're better rappers than you kind of thing."

Go-Rilla Warfare used to be a URL feeder league and then they started essentially doing URL events, and there's word around that URL doesn't fuck with them anymore, especially considering they used to show a lot of love to Chicago with events like NOME 2 and now Go-Rilla emerged after the fact and has kind of been a bit territorial. I don't really know how much merit there is to this considering they still book Big Kannon.

RBE (ARP's league) sprung up within New York and they weren't subservient to URL so it caused some tension. Ever since RBE sprung up they've been sending subliminals at URL and it kind of reached a head when URL started enforcing their contracts and both leagues accused each other of poaching talent and full battles. That's when you saw URL completely divorce themselves from people like JC. It's much more complex than that but they clearly don't fuck with each other, right down to petty subtitling of their events (Real vs. Vicious being Rookies vs. Vets).

I don't think Spit That Heat has problems with any league except for Qleen, QP and RemyD who stole deposits from Miltown Bloe (Spit That Heat founder/host). Spit That Heat is also trying to set up a Spit That Heat vs. TrapHouseNY card.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is Tay Roc vs. JC one of the hypest performances in all of battle rap? Low key might be Tay Roc's best performance.

I had time enough
I whipped out my blade, and laid my MAC down, she knew I wasn't tryna fuck

You saw what I did from the last n***a from Pontiac
I sent his soul where Rich Dolarz at

You gonna get what you earn, that's ashes in a vase, let me demonstrate
N***a, I ain't Organik, you'll really get bodied if I put 100 Bulletz in your face

Headshot when I clap at JC
If D' MC don't run, I'll Jam Master JC

You're the type of n***a I run up on.. tuck my hammers, then fold you up
When these hit?-Man, your brother gon' have to hold you up

When I heard Smack and Surf were betting on this? I was hot then.
They started this, so let me show you how the plot ends.
Surf got 2 racks on you n***a.. you better not win.
If I feel like y'all robbed me, then n***a Ima rob him.
Surf been ducking me for years, how y'all give this n***a clout?
How you betting 2 racks but sleeping on another n***a's couch?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rookies vs. Vets Trailer AT FUCKING LAST.

T-Top vs. Charlie Clips
Brizz Rawsteen vs. Aye Verb (..Verb Von Doom?)
Mr. Wavy vs. K-Shine
Chess vs. DNA
Th3 Saga vs. Shotgun Suge
Prep vs. John John Da Don
Sno vs. Real Deal

Who y'all got?

Also, as far as trailer music goes, URL > Syndicate Cartel >>>>>

Top Bottom