• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Bigg K vs. Ill Will. This battle lived up to the expectations/hype. Some of the shit said in this battle :wow. I gave it to K with the first and third, 2nd to Will. Great battle throughout.

URL PGs: Hazey Williams vs. Stash. No idea why this was vaulted, this is way better than these West Coast/London PGs they've been dropping the past few months.

World Domination 5 Main Event #1 Announcement - Pat Stay vs. Illmaculate.

Murda Mook and Surf go at it over Mook's resume. Gotta say I side with Surf on this. Plus I don't want to see Mook vs. Hollow happen because that just sounds shitty and that they're trying to set it up just to do it.

Pat vs Mac could be a classic. Pat's trying to bounce back after what he perceived to be a sloppy performance on his part vs Calicoe. Illmac has just been on a nice streak lately and deserves some competition that can hang. Hopefully it'll motivate him to be even crazier. Also this match should give his stock a boost if he clearly wins.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My problem with Pat is that he hasn't given me a battle in a long time that is great all 3 rounds. Nowadays that might be difficult to expect from most people in general but I feel like his charisma has kind of taken a hit in general. The magic from his ICE/Math/Hollohan battles just doesn't come across the same and feels forced for me at times. Maybe Illmac will bring the jokiness back out of him a bit; Pat is best when he's clowning people.

That's true. I liked the tortured artist woe-is-me Pat vs Dizaster. It seemed like something new and especially tailored to combat Diz' style at the time. But by now his ultra sanctimonious "I call other grown men faggots to cure cancer patients" shtick is beginning to yield diminishing returns.

If Pat wants to get serious he's best just finding different ways to say how crazy and psychotic he is. (stuff like "lost my mind/ cant even fix it with the meds the doc prescribes/ I've shared a therapist with arabic terrorists & eric harris from colombine" or his recent shit about stabbing someone with a beer bottle vs Cal)

Holding back the tears Pat has to go.

Also just watched Bigg K vs Ill Will, good battle. Will sort of fell apart in that 3rd though. One of the better Bigg K performances in a minute. I give it to Bigg K 3-0 with the 2nd being debatable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rookies vs. Vets 2 on July 25th. Where the promo at? Traffic card is supposed to drop this week too I think.

Once again another EC event within a week of the WC one? Especially with this being the first big WC one? Don't think that's a good idea. I hope Smack flies out to the West Coast at the very least.

URL: Aye Verb vs. K-Shine. That first K-Shine round is still :wow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol remember when Norbes said he was gonna drop Rone vs Danja Zone?

I remember.

141c1bd70022345829167b7370e05450.jpg

Furyous

Mook Interview about resume and Surf. TL:DR When will you battle Surf and Surf got you in that interview.

^^ This is the worst interview I've heard in my life. 3Letterman wouldn't let Mook talk and kept interrupting.

I'm siding with Mook because he shouldn't battle because the fans want it. He should take his time and wait for people to get the bread right. Mook's right in that people want him to battle three times a year against everyone and not get paid over $20K to battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL Traffic Card. Their first West Coast card. Aug 1.
Daylyt vs. Big T
KG The Poet vs. B Magic
Danja Zone vs. Danny Myers
Chess vs. Rum Nitty
Young Kannon vs. Steams
Tink Tha Demon vs. Diesel

Decent card, only really iffy on Diesel/YK/KG but I'm good with this.

URL Redemption Card. July 25th.

T-Rex vs. Danny Myers
Tay Roc vs. Brizz Rawsteen
Shotgun Suge vs. T Top
DNA & K-Shine vs. Chess & Steams
Bill Collector vs. DOT
Chilla Jones vs. Prep

This could be good as well. Loving how URL is doing more diverse cards now, it's feeling like the roster is more than just Dot Mobb dudes now, even though they're all over this card too lol

TrapHouseNY: Xcel vs. Steams. So many reaches, goddamn. Like zero flow in this match lol

RBE: Big Kannon vs. Mr. Mill$. Damn, it's so good to see Mr. Mill$ back. Good battle
fucking awful editing as usual so ill never watch it again

Mook Interview about resume and Surf. TL:DR When will you battle Surf and Surf got you in that interview.

^^ This is the worst interview I've heard in my life. 3Letterman wouldn't let Mook talk and kept interrupting.

I'm siding with Mook because he shouldn't battle because the fans want it. He should take his time and wait for people to get the bread right. Mook's right in that people want him to battle three times a year against everyone and not get paid over $20K to battle.

Just listened to this interview where Mook and Surf argue about Mook's GOAT status.

I agree mostly with Surf. Whatever Mook wants to do to secure the most bread... that's cool. As far as actually battling goes: Mook will get clearly washed by both Hollow and Surf and some part of him has to know that.

It was regarded up as a silly point by Surf; but honestly I agree that the main appeal of Mook battling is to get him out of the way. I'm tired of Mook being propped up as the final challenger for battle rap. Somebody just take him out clearly on URL so we can stop talking about him. Mook is garbage. Cool BET cypher verse aside. He sucks, both his performances in the modern era were underwhelming. So he has to dance around it by saying he "didn't lose a round."

Now everybody has to pretend either one of those ass performances could have stood up to even a 50% Hollow or Bigg K verse.

After all the fussing Chilla Jones made about coming back to URL for the right opponent... he's battling Prep? Nothing against Prep his battle vs Th3 Saga was great but he's clearly in the same rung as Nuborn and some other dudes it seems like Chilla turned down.

Furyous

Just listened to this interview where Mook and Surf argue about Mook's GOAT status.

I agree mostly with Surf. Whatever Mook wants to do to secure the most bread... that's cool. As far as actually battling goes: Mook will get clearly washed by both Hollow and Surf and some part of him has to know that.

It was regarded up as a silly point by Surf; but honestly I agree that the main appeal of Mook battling is to get him out of the way. I'm tired of Mook being propped up as the final challenger for battle rap. Somebody just take him out clearly on URL so we can stop talking about him. Mook is garbage. Cool BET cypher verse aside. He sucks, both his performances in the modern era were underwhelming. So he has to dance around it by saying he "didn't lose a round."

Now everybody has to pretend either one of those ass performances could have stood up to even a 50% Hollow or Bigg K verse.

I have to disagree because Battle Rap needs villains and clear lines between battlers. Mook is upper echelon solely off longevity. Mook shouldn't battle more than twice a year at most. Mook's performance against Solomon was great but was too long. The Lux battle was a body bag.

--

One of Angry Fan's co hosts was fired from the show and went on The War Report to do an response radio show dissing the Angry Fan movement. Blogger beef is corny so I'm not linking anything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
T-Rex vs. Myers, what an awful battle.
Why? One of the best storylines we've had in a minute and they have some similar traits but are different/unique in their own ways (which IMO creates the best matchups).

After all the fussing Chilla Jones made about coming back to URL for the right opponent... he's battling Prep? Nothing against Prep his battle vs Th3 Saga was great but he's clearly in the same rung as Nuborn and some other dudes it seems like Chilla turned down.
Well Chilla has slowly lowered his standards over the course of the past few months. First it was top tiers, then Lotta Zay (I still want this to happen) then I'll take anyone to get back on URL. FWIW I think Prep still has potential and it could be something special though I'm keeping my expectations tempered. I think the most important thing coming out of Rookies vs. Vets is that the rookies know what they need to work on vs. trying to anticipate what they need to work on.

I have to disagree because Battle Rap needs villains and clear lines between battlers. Mook is upper echelon solely off longevity. Mook shouldn't battle more than twice a year at most. Mook's performance against Solomon was great but was too long. The Lux battle was a body bag.

--

One of Angry Fan's co hosts was fired from the show and went on The War Report to do an response radio show dissing the Angry Fan movement. Blogger beef is corny so I'm not linking anything.
But you can inflate longevity, and that longevity itself was also based upon him picking and choosing. I pretty much agree with Surf and Echos' post, the only reason anyone wants Mook is to get him out of the way, because it's less likely to produce a good battle and add to your own legacy tangibly and you're pretty much only doing it for the name. And even within that dude has been lukewarm to decent at best. I'm also one of the few who believe he did what he needed to do vs. Solomon but that shit is just grating to watch and it is what it is. He's underwhelming and Serius Jones is similarly underwhelming. I'm not tryna see any of these guys do a battle to get maybe one good round or memorable moment from them.

And I was wondering why Uncle Henny wasn't there anymore. Blogger beef definitely corny as fuck. Chris Unbias also stays with something prickly stuck up his ass too, dude is so annoying. They all have annoying egos.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ars said he had a sponsor for it. Nobody is gonna believe Ars' nonsense after UW went under and failed to pay people what they were promised. And then there was the funny shit with UDUBB's first event too, with people doing shit for favours and him trying to weasel T-Rex into doing more than he was contracted for.

That said Mook saying if someone has 70 they can give 100 is some super ignorant shit. Fuck outta here Mook. I already know Smack is going to try and break his back to get Mook back on the stage and everyone is going to suffer for a half year to a year as a result.

Danny Myers might have some racks to spare. FOR THE CULTURE!!!

Cant wait for another league to go bankrupt so they can give some "legend" a payout they clearly don't deserve.
I only put legend in scare quotes because it's so overused in battle rap discussion. Mook is a legit legend despite him being a mediocre rapper

He's underwhelming and Serius Jones is similarly underwhelming. I'm not tryna see any of these guys do a battle to get maybe one good round or memorable moment from them.

BUT DUDE, HE "LEFT EARTH" WITH THAT SEMI DECENT CAR PART SCHEME VS DNA!!!

SERIUS DUSTY OLD DINOSAUR JONES KNOWS HOW TO DO WORD ASSOCIATION AND AUTOMATICALLY GETS POINTS FOR IT BECAUSE PEOPLE EXPECT HIM TO SUCK!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Redemption Trailer.

To see the Rex/Danny thing documented like this, so SMH. Rex won the blog 3-0.

I love this in-studio stuff though, I hope they release the full versions. DOT, K-SHINE AND CHILLA TALKING THAT SHIT. LETS FUCKING GO.

My predictions:

Daylyt 3-0
B Magic 3-0
Danja Zone 2-1
Rum Nitty 2-1
Steams/YK 2-1 either way
Tink Tha Demon 2-1

Danny/Rex 2-1 either way
Roc/Brizz 2-1 either way
T-Top 2-1
DNA & K-Shine 2-1
DOT 2-1
Chilla Jones 3-0

DOT, man

I honesty felt like I was starting to fade back from battle rap but that Redemption trailer pulled me right back in. DOT vs Bill Collector and Top vs Suge are going to be crazy.

And I've never seen Prep win a battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't stop watching that Redemption trailer. It turned an otherwise decent card to something I'm really looking forward to. I'm hype over here.

NO SOCKS

DETERMINATION OVER TRUST

I fucked up. Went and browsed the bootleg reddit. Temptation rising. Don't Flop has some fuckin heat ready to go right now ughhhhhhhhh.

I can't imprison myself in another drought. Time to rewatch Trez vs B Magic!!!

Furyous

DETERMINATION OVER TRUST

WHAT THAT MEAN?

Danny Myers about to get 3-0'd and it's not even funny. He won't even get a round off with the crowd booing out of bias. Apparently, Rex didn't prepare for the Hollahan battle out of loyalty to URL at least that's what Surf said during their interview together on URL's radio show.

SMACK on AFM live right now talking about the possibility of a kickstarter/gofundme to get Mook is 100k to battle. Also sounding somewhat nervous about the future of battle rap with talent asking for exorbitant prices.

You think this shit would get funded? Just for Mook alone?

Magik

SMACK on AFM live right now talking about the possibility of a kickstarter/gofundme to get Mook is 100k to battle. Also sounding somewhat nervous about the future of battle rap with talent asking for exorbitant prices.

You think this shit would get funded? Just for Mook alone?

I would hope not since all that would do is drive up the costs for other battlers to lord knows what cost.

The fact that SMACK needs to use a kickstarter/gofundme definitely shows there is something wrong with the business. Mook is not worth 100k. Hell, none of them are worth 100k for 1 battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would hope not since all that would do is drive up the costs for other battlers to lord knows what cost.

The fact that SMACK needs to use a kickstarter/gofundme definitely shows there is something wrong with the business. Mook is not worth 100k. Hell, none of them are worth 100k for 1 battle.
Well said.

I don't think the community will do it because everyone pirates PPVs too. We're at this point where we're seriously debating whether Mook deserves to get $100k to rap for 9 minutes. Blah blah all original content, fuck outta here. Rappers churn out more original content in a week. The nerve of the dude to completely ignore the negative consequences it has had on battle rap too, which are oh so clear. Smack took tens of thousands in losses to accommodate Mook in Webster Hall, now he's supposed to pay him 5x the pay in Gramercy or Irving Plaza?

Mook is seriously bugging, but he's a persuasive mofo so I feel like he's gonna get some outrageous number somehow. I hope everyone just begins to ignore this, perhaps Lux/Clips at SM5 with the financial details not being made public will help him fade back into irrelevancy. Like Echos said, Mook is just a nuisance to get out of the way, but I think it's best he just takes a time out like Reed or Millz.

Random fly-by-night bozo ass billionaire investors really have people believing they're worth 100k for a battle. The fucked up thing is Mook could reasonably leverage his demand to get that for 3~4 battles in a year. It's just then he'd actually have to win consistently and keep himself in demand.

Crowd funding individual battles sets a terrible precedent (it'd have to be successful which I don't think would happen but still). Everyone's prices go up if Mook gets the 100k and leagues are already struggling to put on successful events with the rates where they're at. So what's the solution then... every battle gets crowd funded?

Hardcore battle fans would be the ones funding this. The ones already paying 100+ per ticket at a big URL event.

This has gone too far. Seriously, fuck Mook. I can't wait for Surf, Clipse, or Hollow to wash that dude so we can talk about something else.

Furyous

Myers paid Rex 12K to battle and Rex got more from URL as well. Let's say he got paid another 8K. That's 20K for one battle that was supposed to happen last year.

I side with Mook because Mook's point is legit. Top-tier MCs that put in work for years deserve to get paid for their work. They can't recycle bars or reuse the material so why not get paid enough money for their time.

Smack takes some responsibility about this as well for clowning Daylyt after Summer Madness. That brought how much battlers get paid per battle to the forefront.

Mook is worth 100K if the fans/investors pay him 100K. Cass got 250 so Mook deserves at least 100. Finally, fans need to stop meat peeping and let battlers get paid. Stop hating on someone getting a check and help grow the sport so it can be viable enough to support your favorite battles. Some of this is jealously akin to a certain segment of NBA fan mad "they" get paid to play kids game.

Cass got 250k (didn't actually get that much but it doesn't matter) because Alki Weirdo Ass David showed up for a random six months to take a shit on battle rap and dip out. It's not the norm and it's not sustainable.

If Mook can hustle some other random "here today gone tomorrow" investor, then cool. There'll just be some stupid Total Slaugher/ Ether-esque event that will underwhelm and we can all forget soon enough. But him actually getting the money out of SMACK, crowdfunding or otherwise, sets a bad precedent.

I'm all for battlers getting their money. But a lot of these rappers aren't being realistic and they're artificially driving up their asking prices to the detriment of the leagues and (hate using this phrase in earnest) "the culture."

Battle Rap just isn't big enough to sustain these prices yet. Even Mook on an AFM interview was saying "Just cause I'm getting this much doesn't mean everyone can jump out the window." That's cool to say... but they're clearly going to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You would think Prep would learn from talking too much shit beforehand and then John John barking in his face. Or Saga stealing the show.

I want to like the dude but he's got no leg to stand out spouting bullshit just to talk shit, tryna downplay Chilla's resume versus yours? Come the fuck on.

King Pen 3-0

Yeah, lol @ telling Chilla that he "used to be good" when he arguably had battle of the year 2014 and already has a strong contender this year. He's asking which URL debut is better when he got boo'd...

Chilla 3-0. Apparently Prep hasn't been watching... Chilla has been mixing it up for a minute now in addition to being the scheme king. This shit might get ugly if Prep doesn't show out.

Top Bottom