• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Furyous

Charron killed this guy. Just so we clear, it's only one DOT. Z Determination over trust, which still needs an explanation by the way.

What's a good way to get more people into battling? Usually someone that's not into the SMACK side of things can understand a Charron/Pat Stay but what about everyone else? We need to grow the culture... or is it peaking?

Charron killed this guy. Just so we clear, it's only one DOT. Z Determination over trust, which still needs an explanation by the way.

What's a good way to get more people into battling? Usually someone that's not into the SMACK side of things can understand a Charron/Pat Stay but what about everyone else? We need to grow the culture... or is it peaking?

Like what could the leagues do? For me personally I start people with earlier battlers. More comedic battles or battles with more immediate punchlines. Soul Khan,Dumbfoundead,Conceited,Hollow and maybe even like early Verb battles or something. From there it's just if they're into it enough to start digging through the footage and learning the history/references.

As far as what leagues could do idk really. URL promoting dudes like Tay Roc, Brizz Rawsteen & T Top could help in the long run. The writing has been on the wall for the "bars over everything" super intricate word-play era. It's devolving into self parody. There's just gatta be those break-out performances that set a new standard. If/when that happens it might open the door for some new fans.

Also big attention getting mega events like Ether & Total Slaughter not sucking would be a help.

---
AYEVERB & DUTCH JACKSON presents"GIRLFRIENDS WEEKLY"

whelp.

FRESH COAST PRESENTS: House Party Battles Volume 1

AKTIVE VS DA KID CLUTCH
12:34
CADALACK RON VS DRE VISHISS
17:45
CAUSTIC VS MEGADEF
19:16
DIZASTER VS MARV WON
20:43

Watching Diz vs Marv right now. Diz is about 1 trillion times better than he was vs Chilla... His 1st a few head scratching lines, in the "why did you write this" sense. Still a decent round but I was skeptical. Then his 2nd round was hilarious and he cooked in the 3rd too. His rounds actually had structure and a consistent theme. Yeah, the theme was "Marv Won is fat." Not exactly groundbreaking but Diz actually remembered how to write battle raps, and had legit good material.

Probably doesn't matter to most ppl in this thread. But it feels cool to have Diz put on a good performance again; That isn't two hours long or overshadowed by a stupid fight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sounds like Redemption was dope outside of the tussle or whatever ruining the 2 on 2.

Seems like everyone is saying Chilla caught a body and the URL crowd was loving him. Also apparently DOT put on a show and killed it. Great to hear.

Twitter has Chilla & Danny winning so justice was served. Not really too upset about the 2v2 loss. Not to hyped on the K-Shine DNA combo after their Marv/Quest battle tbh. Someone needs to tell them to chill with the cheesy gimmicks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron is dope. Has some amazing battles. Iron vs Math>>>

If he just cuts that sing songy weirdo shit and actually battles again he'll be good.

That being said, unless Iron leaves earth, Daylyt 3-0.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gjonaj finally breaks his silence, sounds like he turned down the contract because he didn't want to understand it, then went and did jack shit. SMFH. 2015 PG prospects looking kind of ass right now, TBH.

KOTD: E. Farrell vs. Sicarii. E.Farrell's hypeman is so extra lol GIVE EM A FUCKING SODA

I don't want to hear you rap, bitch, you ain't tight
I'd rather sit through 2 DNA battles in the same night

But you're the 413 champion.. Bro, cool.
That's like bragging about fucking your teacher, right before you mention you were home schooled

wee-bey-gif.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This dude is uploading some cam footage of Redemption.

Chilla lifted Prep's soul, god fucking damn. Crowd telling Chilla to stop and telling Prep to BREATHE, BRO. Can we talk about Prep? I mean, I like dude but he has consistently talked the most and most reckless shit and what?

- Beat DOT, but DOT got more love at Redemption
- Lost to Chess convincingly
- Decent battle but IMO lost to Th3 Saga
- Lost to JJDD
- Chilla smoked dudes boots

It's only fair he sits out for a bit. Brizz barely made it out of Rookies vs. Vets alive.

In other news, Superwriter is back!

This dude is uploading some cam footage of Redemption.

Chilla lifted Prep's soul, god fucking damn. Crowd telling Chilla to stop and telling Prep to BREATHE, BRO. Can we talk about Prep? I mean, I like dude but he has consistently talked the most and most reckless shit and what?

- Lost to JJDD

It's only fair he sits out for a bit. Brizz barely made it out of Rookies vs. Vets alive.

In other news, Superwriter is back!
Yeah, I think Prep needs to take a bunch of smaller battles and step his pen game up. He has an image and good freestyles/rebuttles but overall his bars don't stack up.

Brizz, T-Top, DOT, and Chess have clearly earned their spot at this point.

Also just saw Superwriter for the first time last night VS. Nu born. Dope battle.

- Lost to JJDD

Prep is nearly fucking washed tbh. Credit where it's due: he's got one of the best rebuttals with the "clean his mansion" bar vs Th3 Saga. I want to like him because he's doing everything right outside of the ring. He's memorable and he does a good job of selling the fight. But he just keeps losing. After getting booed into another solar system vs JJDD he really needed to compete vs Chilla. I didn't expect him to win but he needed to at least keep pace. Every impression indicates he got bodied so...

His career is already looking shakey as fuck right now. If he takes another clear loss he'll be fully washed.

m3k

Shame about the jokes & stumbles but honestly I wasn't feeling too much of cel's material anyway. Danny brought a typically nice Danny Myers performance. Some dope bars a few dry-ish spots here & there. I'm hoping he unlocked the next level for that Rex performance.

Daylyt's Meek dis with fake Drake feature hits 2 mil in under a week.

Day the troll gawd.

Lol I have no idea what daylyts plan is but I doubt drake talks to him but not officially

Is this a stunt using drakes name cause he knows no one will do anything.... Or is he like game who name drops dre whenever he can... Or is it all jokes that drake is in on?

I wonder how much daylyt would make from 2 million views on you tube as well

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Dizaster vs. Chilla Jones. Diz got wrecked both rounds, goddamn. People say he got the 2nd but he had so much goddamn filler. YOU GOT HOLES LIKE TORN FABRIC.

Sounds like Big T and Daylyt just didn't want to do it on the West but they kept the money KG gave them......

Xcel continuing to disappoint me :( So much squandered potential for one of the nicest wordsmiths :( Battle was kind of average in general TBH.

KOTD: Dizaster vs. Chilla Jones. Diz got wrecked both rounds, goddamn. People say he got the 2nd but he had so much goddamn filler. YOU GOT HOLES LIKE TORN FABRIC.

Time to see if I hate this any less than on the bootleg.
I wont

Sounds like Big T and Daylyt just didn't want to do it on the West but they kept the money KG gave them......

This break on AFM/War Report or something? I'd be interested to hear what KG has to say about that.

Rogan

Banned
Pretty sure I missed the past 3 years of rapbattles, the last big one I watched was Dizaster VS DNA.

Anything happend after that? Because the battle game was a bit meh a few months after that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SM5 is Saturday Sept 26th, Beasley confirmed.

This break on AFM/War Report or something? I'd be interested to hear what KG has to say about that.
KG mentioned it here. The entire situation sounds suspect.

Watch Chilla Jones vs JC, then you can stop.

there's tons of great battles
It'd be really hard to make a shortlist for people to catch up. But if we could do anything, I'd want to nail down some good battles for people new to da kulchur. Battles nowadays have way too many personals to recommend to newbies.

I'll just throw up my favorite battles. Probably gonna be all over the place, but good. We could always just narrow down amongst our favorites. Will post later.

m3k

Xcel continuing to disappoint me :( So much squandered potential for one of the nicest wordsmiths :( Battle was kind of average in general TBH.

Chillas on a roll and xcels fuckin up a bit at the moment

Pretty sure I missed the past 3 years of rapbattles, the last big one I watched was Dizaster VS DNA.

Anything happend after that? Because the battle game was a bit meh a few months after that.

Here are some battles you might enjoy:

KOTD - Rap Battle - Conceited vs Dumbfoundead - Entertaining battle a good mixture of humorous and witty lines from both rappers.
KOTD - Rap Battle - Rum Nitty vs Danny Myers - Two breakout performances in this battle. Trading back to back aggressive punchlines with several very memorable moments.
KOTD - Rap Battle - Illmaculate vs Bigg K - "Classic" is a word often overused in battle rap discussion. This match, however, is an undeniable classic. There is somewhat of a narrative backing this battle but it's largely self evident.
SMACK/ URL PRESENTS CONCEITED VS TSU SURF (FULL BATTLE) - Another certified classic (to use twice a word I just said was overused). Also a great example of distinct contrasting styles producing a very entertaining dynamic. In the battle itself and the debate surrounding it.
GJONAJ VS GUTTA PROVING GROUNDS - Breakout performance from GJONAJ. As a rapper he's been drawing a lot of comparisons (not entirely deserved -- he does have his own style) to Dizaster. If the last battle you really enjoyed was Diz vs DNA you might similarly enjoy GJONAJ's rounds.

feel free to skip gutta's rounds

Last years gorilla warfare card with clips vs hitman should have had fire battles

But none of them have any replay value because of the mic situation and there being a million niggas on stage with them.

This card looks really good tho, so let's see. The other gw card from last year with had a ton of crazy battles (day vs verb, jc vs Danny, Cortez vs young kannon)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yo.. how do they have the money for this though? I can't see Surf taking any battle unless there's a serious, 5-figure check involved. Card has a lot of potential, and The Crown's brand has always had some serious talent on there. Norbes prob salty as fuck right now.

Hitman vs. Suge works in Chicago too as long as they get the mic situation right. Not like they're doing it on some KOTD bullshit. Hell, this might even be good for a 1 rounder.

Clips vs. Big Kannon already sounds like a disappointment. Kind of worn out on both their styles IMO (BK is skilled but dude hasn't had a memorable line since the O-Red or Syahboy battles).

Daylyt doesn't respect O-Red so it will definitely have an antic. Could care less.

Ill Will vs. K-Shine has the potential to be something great.

Can't bring myself to care about JC, but Born is on a rampage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bro it's the same move, set-up punchline, set-up punchline
That's how you spit that?
You're just a candy rapper, with 4 bars you a-
See how easy it is to predict that?

I mean, just goddamn. Y'all ever hear a line that just made you look at the opponent differently forever?

Another one for me is in Nuborn vs. Young Kannon.

This weak bum ain't stretched a stone
Ain't pop the Wesson, chrome
You ain't respected, known
BX don't cosign this lame, you ain't reppin' home
The n***as you dickride think you suck, so you'll never blow
Fuck being a heavy weight, you'll always be a stepping stone

Not the craziest bar, but it's a stinger and has kind of defined Nuborn's career in many ways.

EDIT: SM5 PG card:

Excited to see Illanoiz back.

Top Bottom