• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Tecnniqe

Banned
The menu theme with that woman singing
giphy.gif

Xater

WWI has always been something I've been fascinated by, but I've never really got to know it as good as I wanted.

Coincidentally I started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 'A Blueprint for Armageddon' podcast a while ago. Very recommended if you want to get into the first WW. It spans 6 episodes and covers over 20 hours. I listen to it in my bed at night and when driving to work. An hour before leaving work I'm actually excited that I can continue listening to it. It's that captivating.

Hardcore History is fantastic and he does a great job with his WW1 episodes.

SkylineRKR

WWI has always been something I've been fascinated by, but I've never really got to know it as good as I wanted.

Coincidentally I started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 'A Blueprint for Armageddon' podcast a while ago. Very recommended if you want to get into the first WW. It spans 6 episodes and covers over 20 hours. I listen to it in my bed at night and when driving to work. An hour before leaving work I'm actually excited that I can continue listening to it. It's that captivating.

Interesting.

But there aren't many modern cinema movies about it either. Come to think of it.

I guess Lawrence of Arabia and Paths of Glory are a classic. But in modern cinema we've had WW2 such as Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Schindler, and many, many more. War Horse the only modern big budget WW1 movie?

gamma

Alright there is definitely a major bug with the airship at least. The enemy airship just instantly blew up as soon as the round started.

Coffinhal

Interesting.

But there aren't many modern cinema movies about it either. Come to think of it.

I guess Lawrence of Arabia and Paths of Glory are a classic. But in modern cinema we've had WW2 such as Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Schindler, and many, many more. War Horse the only modern big budget WW1 movie?

Hollywood isn't the only place where movies are made. You have classics from the 1920s-1930s in European films that are masterpieces (Abel Gance, Jean Renoir, Georg Wilhelm Pabst, Raymond Bernard). Since 1945 less movies but some, especially in European films, are far better than what came from Hollywood about WW2.

Anybody having troubles connecting to servers on Xbox?

Checked my network status and multiplayer connection and everything says it's good to go but I can't go "online" on battlefield.

EDIT: Took a while but eventually connected. Strange.

Gamerman1

Played through campaign mode and about 6 hours of multiplayer. I am done. This time period just doesn't do it for me. I don't much care for the weapon and vehicle styles. Had some fun though. Cost me 47 bucks and I can get 40 trade in at Best Buy so 7 bucks for a rental isn't bad lol. (Thought my friend was going to get it as well for MP but he changed his mind last minute too.)

jiffy38

Is it possible to add optics onto any weapon at will like in bf4? I have a Mondragon storm and would love to add a sight to it.

Hjod

Banned
I have to say as someone who's played every BF that's been released, I even played LAN in Codename Eagle back in the day. This is the best MP experience Dice has made, I played with a few friends yesterday and the immersion in this game is so freaking good. I'm going to play this game a lot.

We were playing on the Argonne Forest map and we managed to flank behind the lines and take almost every flag. Had a blast, the sound design is great, the game looks awesome.

The only gripe I have with the game is I haven't really figured out what options there are for taking out tanks, I know about the dynamite and the Limpet Charge, anyone have any good tactics for taking out tanks now that there is no Engineering class?

And the amount of Recon players, holy shit haha.

SkylineRKR

There is an engineering class, its called Assault. Dynamite = C4, rocket gun = RPG, and it has mines. And AT nades.

Somehow I made a lot of points and got to level 1 medic.
And the Selbstlader is amazing.

I average about 10-15k per control game. And those are crap matches with negative k/d but I PTFO. In Operations I got about 30k, but it also takes a bit longer. Leveling up is rather fair. I play a few hours a day and now closing in on Medic Rank 3 (been playing since yesterday). Assault is halfway past Rank 1. Rest is 0.

belvedere

Junior Butler
We're the points per capture reduced or did they boost points for kills again? In the beta you didn't find campers at the top of the score card, now you do.

Max_Po

Banned
The game is amazing visually however it does not feel 60 fps in multiplayer.

I am on a 25 mbps/7 mbps connection wired with a direct public ip.

Moozo

This game also got me interested in WW1. We were neutral during it, and we were victims of WW2 so thats usually the topic. WW1 is hardly being discussed upon. I didn't know much more than the assassination, the trenches and how it ended up into the Treaty of Versailles which crippled the German Empire or what was left of it.

But since BF1 I've looked up a lot about it. Its intruiging and likely even more vicious and pointless than even WW2.

How much does the campaign go in to the historical stuff? Is it done well or just a series of levels?

Is there any way to see your beta stats? In the beta there was a Medic gun that I alsolutely loved. It had something like 20 rounds per clip and a decent scope. It WASN'T the Mondragon. I tried the Selbstlader but it doesn't have the optics like I remember.

SkylineRKR

Campaign are short separate stories. I like it a lot but its mostly fictional it seems.

Is there any way to see your beta stats? In the beta there was a Medic gun that I alsolutely loved. It had something like 20 rounds per clip and a decent scope. It WASN'T the Mondragon. I tried the Selbstlader but it doesn't have the optics like I remember.

1907?

It has 21 rounds.

PepperedHam

Really loving the War Pigeons mode. I hope the mode keeps some players around because it's a really fun distraction from Conquest and Operations.

PepperedHam

Haven't tried this yet. What is it exactly?
A pigeon spawns at a random location on the map and each team has to try and grab it and then hold it for a set amount of time to write a message, and then when that timer is up that player has to release the pigeon with the message attached into the sky for a point. The enemy team can shoot the pigeon down if they're fast enough.

It's sort of like a one flag CTF mode but without any bases, it's all mobile.

I guess Oddball from Halo is a good comparison too, except at a certain moment you let the object go.

Rush, CQ, and Operations. These are such fantastic pillars for the series.

I really enjoy the intimacy of 12v12 Rush. Fantastic decision to not do 32 or 64 player Rush

I dont know how I feel about behemoths in Operation.

Acinixys

Check out The Great War on Youtube

They do a week by week account of WW1

Extremely in depth and interesting

Behemoths are fun in CQ and deploy pretty fairly. But I swear they would be so much more effective if ticket bleed was still a thing. Im still surprised that people are okay with such a drastic change

WillyFive

They need to give planes a break. It is so hard for them to remain competitive in the scoreboard, especially since they can't capture most points.

Which is sometimes annoying as hell as sometimes you do just kick the shit out of the other team and you still get punished for it.

You are given an extra challenge, since apparently the opposing team isn't giving it. That's good for both teams.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I just started playing MP. Am I blind or is there no way to buy weapons/gadgets from the main menu? The whole interface so far seems like a huge downgrade from BF4. I miss Battlelog.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have to say, I'm rarely blown away anymore but 64 player operations is simply insane.

Any medic gun favorites? I bought this random gun with 5 shot magazine and it is great. But need more than 5 shots...

Menus in this game suck. Not intuitive at all, and simply quitting a game is too hard.

Tovarisc

Behemoths are fun in CQ and deploy pretty fairly. But I swear they would be so much more effective if ticket bleed was still a thing. Im still surprised that people are okay with such a drastic change

You won't let ticket change be?

They need to give planes a break. It is so hard for them to remain competitive in the scoreboard, especially since they can't capture most points.

Practice flying bombers and being front gunner, when those roles have decent to good players you can dominate scoreboard without ever touching single cap.

A pigeon spawns at a random location on the map and each team has to try and grab it and then hold it for a set amount of time to write a message, and then when that timer is up that player has to release the pigeon with the message attached into the sky for a point. The enemy team can shoot the pigeon down if they're fast enough.

It's sort of like a one flag CTF mode but without any bases, it's all mobile.

I guess Oddball from Halo is a good comparison too, except at a certain moment you let the object go.

That sounds really interesting. How many players are in the game? 32?

Rad-

I have to say, I'm rarely blown away anymore but 64 player operations is simply insane.

Any medic gun favorites? I bought this random gun with 5 shot magazine and it is great. But need more than 5 shots...

Menus in this game suck. Not intuitive at all, and simply quitting a game is too hard.

Mondragon Sniper is the best one imo.

Top Bottom