• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Surfinn

Amen.

I played a fair amount of BF3 and 4 and honestly the thing that ended up turning me off of those games was the ridiculous grind to unlock dumb little attachments for guns in the hope that they'd make the gun feel noticeably better, which they rarely did, which in turn just made that whole grind feel pointless.

I love how BF1 is handling that sort of stuff- leave the battlepacks as cosmetics and the guns that you unlock are pretty much it. Lets me enjoy the game itself without worrying whether I'm having as much fun as I could be having because my gun isn't completely upgraded.
Agree with this. It's not about the grind. Good on them.

I am having a lot of trouble playing this game on PS4. I can't aim/kill for my life and everyone appears to be a thousand times more aware of their surroundings than I am.

When I get in a rut, I start playing cover to cover. Stick close to your team and slow down. Always stay behind cover.

Amen.

I played a fair amount of BF3 and 4 and honestly the thing that ended up turning me off of those games was the ridiculous grind to unlock dumb little attachments for guns in the hope that they'd make the gun feel noticeably better, which they rarely did, which in turn just made that whole grind feel pointless.

I love how BF1 is handling that sort of stuff- leave the battlepacks as cosmetics and the guns that you unlock are pretty much it. Lets me enjoy the game itself without worrying whether I'm having as much fun as I could be having because my gun isn't completely upgraded.

post-28938-fuckin-A-man-gif-Office-Space-aAmF.gif

This system is way, way better.

Ardenyal

I am having a lot of trouble playing this game on PS4. I can't aim/kill for my life and everyone appears to be a thousand times more aware of their surroundings than I am.

Adjust the sensitivity and see which works best with the gun you want to use. The autoaim can almost be a detriment in this game as it can slow your aim down to a crawl on certain weapons (the ones with high "control" value i think)

Adjust your FOV so you can see more of your surroundings.

SkylineRKR

Don't be too hasty. When I play bad, its because I rush in. When I play with more thought, ie. looking where my teammates are and sticking with at least someone, constantly using cover and run away from vehicles... I sometimes don't die for minutes and go on a streak. You'll notice that if you have more patience, they will eventually pop up and you get the drop on them.

Animal

Banned
Move slower and use cover.

Agree with this. It's not about the grind. Good on them.

When I get in a rut, I start playing cover to cover. Stick close to your team and slow down. Always stay behind cover.

Adjust the sensitivity and see which works best with the gun you want to use. The autoaim can almost be a detriment in this game as it can slow your aim down to a crawl on certain weapons (the ones with high "control" value i think)

Adjust your FOV so you can see more of your surroundings.

Don't be too hasty. When I play bad, its because I rush in. When I play with more thought, ie. looking where my teammates are and sticking with at least someone, constantly using cover and run away from vehicles... I sometimes don't die for minutes and go on a streak. You'll notice that if you have more patience, they will eventually pop up and you get the drop on them.

Thanks for the advice all. I will slow down my game!

I have been playing Overwatch at least three times a week since it came out in May and re-adjusting to this earlier this week was very tough for the first 10 hours or so that I played.

As No Love pointed out, you need to be moving across the maps at a slower, more deliberate pace and not just sprinting everywhere. The movement speed being ramped up seems to trick you into thinking this is a game to be played at a high pace, and the various score counts in some of the modes can put some urgency on you, but I've found far more success approaching the game with a more WWI mindset -- fighting for inches at a time.

Also, try to be aware of changes in the terrain from the destruction system, sometimes a blast from an explosion can leave a crater which works as good cover in a spot where cover wasn't available before. You might even consider throwing grenades out ahead of you if you can spare one to make cover in more open areas, or try destroying obstacles to make new routes.

The only time I think you should play with a super fast, twitchy mindset is in closer engagements, such as directly on a capture point when enemies are still nearby. Otherwise, move very, very carefully toward objectives, and only engage when you have a sure shot, otherwise you risk exposing yourself and bringing retaliation from your blindspots.

EDIT:

also, space out your shots at medium and long distance. I have a bad habit I'm still trying to shake of just hammering the fire button on my mouse (playing on PC, I know you're on PS4), but I do much better with my semi-auto rifles if I just take the time to patiently wait for recoil to stop before firing off again.

MrNelson

Banned
Is there any way to swap the shoulder buttons on PS4? I looked through the options and couldn't find anything (unless I'm missing it). I would much rather use R1/L1 to aim/fire without having to make the change on the system level just for one game.

Animal

Banned
I have been playing Overwatch at least three times a week since it came out in May and re-adjusting to this earlier this week was very tough for the first 10 hours or so that I played.

As No Love pointed out, you need to be moving across the maps at a slower, more deliberate pace and not just sprinting everywhere. The movement speed being ramped up seems to trick you into thinking this is a game to be played at a high pace, and the various score counts in some of the modes can put some urgency on you, but I've found far more success approaching the game with a more WWI mindset -- fighting for inches at a time.

Also, try to be aware of changes in the terrain from the destruction system, sometimes a blast from an explosion can leave a crater which works as good cover in a spot where cover wasn't available before. You might even consider throwing grenades out ahead of you if you can spare one to make cover in more open areas, or try destroying obstacles to make new routes.

The only time I think you should play with a super fast, twitchy mindset is in closer engagements, such as directly on a capture point when enemies are still nearby. Otherwise, move very, very carefully toward objectives, and only engage when you have a sure shot, otherwise you risk exposing yourself and bringing retaliation from your blindspots.

Thanks you :)

I beat the SP today. Good stuff. Hard to believe the same team made this campaign also made the absolute gutter trash that was the previous SP campaigns. It helps that they have such a rich setting to use of course. The presentation of it all was lovely.

Now back onto the MP, which is also god tier. They really hit this one out of the park. Not to sound hyperbolic but it's a bit of a feast for the senses. I want to try all the guns, hear how they sound. Sometimes I just want to roam around and forget I'm in the middle of a battlefield when playing conquest.

It sucks that all the class rank trophies are glitched and most likely not gonna pop up.

Hope they patch it in so that its gonna give you when you already have the ranks because you cant reset your progress.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
If people are experiencing their loadouts resetting from time to time even when not using the bugged Companion app, I suspect it's related to opening Battlepacks that you receive at the end of a match. Can't say for sure, but that's the impression I get. Just not going to bother opening them for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Ammogeddon

I found switching the sights to the bullhorn type improved my experience tenfold. I couldn't get on with the standard sights, couldn't see shit when aiming.

Mondragon sniper or selbstlader marksmen? Debating which one I want but only have enough for one!

Very similar weapons, the Mondragon fires slightly faster but the Selbstlader has 16 more rounds per mag. I unlocked the Selbstlader and never looked back (even though I use the optical one).

When are we getting replay mode. Got a hilarious limpet mine kill where I exploded a boat and the guy flew out

I hope we get another jungle map that has rivers and boats.

I want some bigger maps, with more spacing. This game is significantly faster than BC2 right? Maybe the FOV is tricking me

Alright, this is the first BF game I've played since Vietnam and I feel like an idiot:

How do you fire the sniper rifle? When I hold down L2 and press R2, I'll literally have to press it about 10 times before it fires.

Just played a round using the Vita, got romped. Controls are decent, but not for this pace.

Alright, this is the first BF game I've played since Vietnam and I feel like an idiot:

How do you fire the sniper rifle? When I hold down L2 and press R2, I'll literally have to press it about 10 times before it fires.

Hate to say it but your DS4 is probably fucked. If you have GTA5 you can test it out and see if you can skid out in cars or not, or if you have to press really hard to shoot.

It was an issue with BF4 snipers as well.

ar4757

Picked it up on PS4 yesterday, was getting destroyed. Fast forward to today and I'm the destroyer haha, slowing down does wonders. Been playing as Medic, which class gets anti-war - Assault? And there's no lock ons, right?

hydruxo

I had this problem last night and it seems to be an issue with the controller unfortunately. My triggers work perfectly fine for every other game but with this one I have to press my triggers down as hard as I can to even fire once. What I did was just rebind R2 > R1 and L2 > L1 in the PS4 settings. Works perfectly fine after that, just takes a little getting used to. Your only other option is to get a new controller.

vixlar

Is there any way to swap the shoulder buttons on PS4? I looked through the options and couldn't find anything (unless I'm missing it). I would much rather use R1/L1 to aim/fire without having to make the change on the system level just for one game.

But even if you had to do this for only one game on the ps4 system, it is easy to just turn it on and off. Still a nuisance, but a small one.

andee-

Neo Member
I had this problem last night and it seems to be an issue with the controller unfortunately. My triggers work perfectly fine for every other game but with this one I have to press my triggers down as hard as I can to even fire once. What I did was just rebind R2 > R1 and L2 > L1 in the PS4 settings. Works perfectly fine after that, just takes a little getting used to. Your only other option is to get a new controller.

I had this problem with my old DS4. One good way to check is to install DS4Windows and connect the controller to your PC. You can check your analog stick and button readings. My R2 wouldn't go all the way down in the visualizer thing unless I pressed it really hard.

Agent

Just hit rank 10 on scout and picked up the Martini-Henry. What a fun gun to use. Like most scout guns, once you figure out the sweet spot and the quirks, you can destroy people.

Going to work on getting assault to rank 10 now for the Hellriegel. Probably going to take me longer since I'm not a fan of most of the guns for the class.

DICE can really improve the UI a bit. Customization of load outs is the biggest thing, as well as your "unlocks". I don't know where my Mexican legendary skin is at for my Mondragon.

3DShovel

Is it just me, or did BF4 China rising have bigger maps than bf1 maps?

Honestly I think these maps suit the 64-player count way better than anything in BF4. Everything feels tight and there's not a lot of wasted place. And, there's never too long an instance between finding something to shoot.

void666

Banned

One of my controllers does the same. It seems to work fine in destiny. But R2 occasionally does not work in BF1.

Speaking about destiny, last time i played i tried to "spot" a group of splicers. And today in BF1 i tried to slide+shotgun. lol

ThisOne

Just hit rank 10 on scout and picked up the Martini-Henry. What a fun gun to use. Like most scout guns, once you figure out the sweet spot and the quirks, you can destroy people.

Going to work on getting assault to rank 10 now for the Hellriegel. Probably going to take me longer since I'm not a fan of most of the guns for the class.
Better hurry and get that hellriegel before the inevitable nerf.

Honestly I think these maps suit the 64-player count way better than anything in BF4. Everything feels tight and there's not a lot of wasted place. And, there's never too long an instance between finding something to shoot.

There was an oddity earlier in Ballroom Blitz playing 64-player Conquest - I couldn't find anyone to shoot for literally 4 minutes. I was going back and forth through the courtyard and inside the C flag area to check for people and it was quiet. This was the only time it happened, though.

Sorry for asking again, tried a few times now but I think some people were still working most of the game out. Does anyone know what you get for doing the weekly medals? Is there actually a point to it?

But I like the nice empty spaces :(

Makes vehicles very fun. We need more space for vehicle warfare

Right now the vehicles seem to fight infantry only because there arent enough maps with space for vehicle on vehicle gameplay

jediyoshi

Plug in your DualShock 4 into a PC and download a program like DS4Windows to see its readings

Here's my R2 fully pushed in. It's not a problem in other games because they'll have the activation point be lower on the scale.

sgfv0hv.png

Top Bottom