• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Rank 50 now, so I’m halfway there. Well not really halfway since the xp requirements are starting to spike more. Finished getting medic to level 10 and the Selb 1906 is bad. It only has five rounds per clip and it takes three to kill someone (unless you get a headshot). So I’m just going to stick with the Selb M1916 Marksman for larger maps and the Autoloading 8.25 Extended for smaller ones. So all I have left is scout to level 10. I’m not doing that shit, I’m still at zero lol. Well I’ll probably do it, but I just don’t care for scout.

I haven’t played a game this much in a while. It’s just so good most of the time. The only thing that really annoys me at times are the amount of scouts. I mean past BF always had a lot of recon players, but it’s ridiculous in this game. I think the sweet spot (OHK) is a huge factor for this. However, the balance is pretty good overall. Maybe some slight nerfs and buffs here and there, but nothing too drastic. Lmgs definitely need some love.

This is easily one of my favorite games of the year so far, definitely my favorite shooter.

Life of a medic indeed.

UnfinishedMadeupBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif
Never have I seen a truer gif

Defense Ratinh:
210/27

Not broken..

There's so many things left unexplained about Operations.

What governs a weak/good/superb defence/victory?

What is that rating at the end of the match?

And why does it fluctuate so wildly?

Also that Reddit PSA where you get tickets back killing the defenders in your area after taking an area. Didn't even know.

Latimer

Banned
Do I have to unplug my 360 pad to play this with KB and mouse? mouse works in menu but in game only 360 controller works..looked in options but didn't see anything.

TheRed

Lol was in a 64 player operations game and as attackers we steamrolled through all of ballroom blitz and half of Argonne without losing a battalion so it gave the defenders a train. We won pretty handily that game which was nice because I've never been able to win as attackers in Operations with 64 players.

Smoke grenade spam is really good!

Tecnniqe

Banned
There's so many things left unexplained about Operations.

What governs a weak/good/superb defence/victory?

What is that rating at the end of the match?

And why does it fluctuate so wildly?

Also that Reddit PSA where you get tickets back killing the defenders in your area after taking an area. Didn't even know.

Yeah it would be nice to know.

sam777

What is the general consensus on DICE's dlc's are they normally good value for money? As I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the premium pass, since I get 10% before my EA access expires.

Acinixys

What is the general consensus on DICE's dlc's are they normally good value for money? As I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the premium pass, since I get 10% before my EA access expires.

As someone who bought premium for both BF 3 and 4 I will say its worth it if you expect to play a shit load of BF1

Plus the weapons and maps the DLC bring are usually better than anything the base game offers

Tecnniqe

Banned

If its the same quality as the one in the base, yes, but it could be 50/50. Wont know until it's out.

As for BF4 most of them were meh IMO and as long as its not open desert fields its probably guchi.

sam777

If its the same quality as the one in the base, yes, but it could be 50/50. Wont know until it's out.

As for BF4 most of them were meh IMO and as long as its not open desert fields its probably guchi.

As someone who bought premium for both BF 3 and 4 I will say its worth it if you expect to play a shit load of BF1

Plus the weapons and maps the DLC bring are usually better than anything the base game offers

Think I will pull the trigger then, as I expect to be playing this for a very long time.

*Splinter

Defense Ratinh:
210/27

Not broken..
I've had similar scores, it seems to be the worse you defend the higher score you get. Meanwhile attacking score seems to get lower the further you get (-12/33 when we got to the very last checkpoint, for example). I assume it's supposed to count how many medals you got in the weak/effective/superb attacks, but it's a random mess at the moment.

Even the weak/effective/superb ratings don't seem hugely consistent.

LightInfa

Glad to see I'm not alone. I think people will learn over time how to more appropriately deal with tanks. I do play the odd match where there's definitely smarter application of strategy when a tank roles in.

In my aforementioned example as I alone tried to take down the fortress and the snipers offered literally no contribution to anything the chat log had someone whining that tanks are OP.

This is what we need. K bullets are invaluable and so easy to use for scouts to pressure tanks and prevent them from repairing. They're great against air, and can near instantly stop lighter vehicles like cars.

I at least felt that by the end of the beta people were doing a great job for the most part taking down tanks quickly; most games the assaults could stop a tank push on C or D in Sinai. That's why I was so worried they would nerf tanks by release, but thankfully they haven't thrown that balance out of whack. So I agree people will get better at it very quickly.

*Splinter

Has Dice given any answer why you cant customize your character when not being in battle?
They said it isn't "stable" yet and will be patched in when it is. How you fuck up class customisation I do not know.

Also from what I've heard the app isn't exactly stable either (resets your classes a lot).

Tecnniqe

Banned
I've had similar scores, it seems to be the worse you defend the higher score you get. Meanwhile attacking score seems to get lower the further you get (-12/33 when we got to the very last checkpoint, for example). I assume it's supposed to count how many medals you got in the weak/effective/superb attacks, but it's a random mess at the moment.

Even the weak/effective/superb ratings don't seem hugely consistent.

Yeah I wish I recorded my face when we got a Victory as attacking with a 2.5 bonus and -28/27 score or something, was quite the thing :3

LightInfa

As others have said definitely worth it, but I am extra curious this go around because I am of the possibilities for new operations. For French DLC we could get Verdun, the Nivelle Offensive, or heck maybe even early war and something like the Marne (although I'd be shocked if we get an early war maps/operations given the weapons and the tone the game has set so far sadly- again if we could get an all bolt action game mode maybe we could get some early war later on? Or an entire DLC built around early war?). Russian DLC will almost certainly have something built around the Brusilov Offensive, but they could also throw in stuff like Riga 1917 or Gorlice-Tarnow (or if early war Tannenberg ofc). Beyond those faction based DLCs, the most obvious choice for an additional operation would be the Somme, although I dearly hope for Gallipoli (esp since it was in the campaign!) and one involving Vimy Ridge.

Portugeezer

They said it isn't "stable" yet and will be patched in when it is. How you fuck up class customisation I do not know.

Also from what I've heard the app isn't exactly stable either (resets your classes a lot).

That would happen on Battlelog website a lot too with BF4.

I can tell already they need to tweak support. I don't think the incentive is there for it.

64 player match, 2 support players. I feel like it's been like that all weekend. Running around screaming for ammo in a sea of medics.

hunchback

Something about the game engine is bothering my eyes. I first noticed this with the Star Wars game and now this game.

After playing for about a hour, my eyes begin to weep or water up. It's happened with both games now.

It doesn't happen when playing the new Gears game or the new Mafia. It also doesn't happen with R6 either.

This sucks because I'm really liking this game. Any ideas on what the difference is between Dice engine games versus the others?

Portugeezer

I can tell already they need to tweak support. I don't think the incentive is there for it.

64 player match, 2 support players. I feel like it's been like that all weekend. Running around screaming for ammo in a sea of medics.

Some might be using other gadgets. I play support but with Repair Tool (depending on the map) and Mortars.

Mugenjin

Something about the game engine is bothering my eyes. I first noticed this with the Star Wars game and now this game.

After playing for about a hour, my eyes begin to weep or water up. It's happened with both games now.

It doesn't happen when playing the new Gears game or the new Mafia. It also doesn't happen with R6 either.

This sucks because I'm really liking this game. Any ideas on what the difference is between Dice engine games versus the others?

Because it's so beautiful.

Just kidding I can't think of a legit reason why a different game engine would cause that kind of effect.

Can anyone explain to me how you actually earn currency? It doesn't seem to be linked to ranking up like I would've expected. I could play two games really well and rank up once without earning any, but then I could play a mediocre game and earn 100 more or something.

What actually earns us the currency and can it update mid game or do you have to wait for the next?

Mugenjin

Can anyone explain to me how you actually earn currency? It doesn't seem to be linked to ranking up like I would've expected. I could play two games really well and rank up once without earning any, but then I could play a mediocre game and earn 100 more or something.

What actually earns us the currency and can it update mid game or do you have to wait for the next?

You do earn warbonds every time you rank up. It even shows you how many warbonds you receive in the top of the screen. You also get increasingly more warbonds per level the higher you are. I'm rank 59 and I think I receive 350+ per level.

LightInfa

Yeah right now it's ludicrously easy to get the most resupplies award without even having to go out of your way for ammo requests. I'm loving support because I love the BAR and Limpet charges (and haven't even really tried out the mortar yet!), but it appears very few share that enthusiasm.

cooldawn

Get currency by levelling up. You can also earn smaller amount by dismantling Battlepack Skins for 30cr.

I'm level 21 with 2,810cr. Can't think how else you'd earn currency.

You do earn warbonds every time you rank up. It even shows you how many warbonds you receive in the top of the screen. You also get increasingly more warbonds per level the higher you are. I'm rank 59 and I think I receive 350+ per level.

Get currency by levelling up. You can also earn smaller amount by dismantling Battlepack Skins for 30cr.

I'm level 21 with 2,810cr. Can't think how else you'd earn currency.

So does it take a while to update or something? Because I've definitely had times where I've ranked up, went to see if I could afford something, and the amount was unchanged.

Also I thought dismantling skins gave you scrap for more battle packs, not bonds?

Yeah right now it's ludicrously easy to get the most resupplies award without even having to go out of your way for ammo requests. I'm loving support because I love the BAR and Limpet charges (and haven't even really tried out the mortar yet!), but it appears very few share that enthusiasm.

It's because the aim sights of these LMG's block half the screen.

I kind of miss the shenanigans from the other BF games. I like this game a lot but I miss all the dumb shit people could do like jumping out of planes and sniping someone in another plane only to get into your own again. Launching a tank into the air with friendly C4 to have it kill an enemy plane in its path. Strapping C4 to a jeep and letting it go while you detonate killing a tank.
Some of these moments were really hard to do and not everyone did but it felt like there was a lot of silly shit you could do with the games. This one seems very limiting in that regard with less flexibility or tools to just dick around. It's a lot more grounded and realistic which don't get me wrong, is one hell of an experience.

Then again it could just be because it's early days and some really crazy stuff will happen later on.

wbEMX

Just happened a few minutes ago on a stream I happened to click on:

https://clips.twitch.tv/burkeblack/EnthusiasticWalrusBatChest

This is perfect. xD

Yesterday I had a situation on Monte Grappa (Operations) where I'm not sure if that was a bug or I got extremely lucky. The enemy got the airship at one point. I go into the anti-air, shoot at the pilot cabin and, I shit you not, the airship fell and got destroyed in 25 seconds. The whole server was confused, but I got the Behemoth kill. When the enemy got a second airship later on, that didn't happen. The airship lasted for almost the rest of the match.

I still don't know if another player also used the antiair and that's why it fell so fast or if that was a bug. That was one of the few moments where I got angry that I have Shadowplay recording disabled.

Nintendad

Can you track on medal you want or just the weekly? I would love to track some medals I could get easier with the way I play and I've gotten all the weekly trophies I'll get.

kromeo

Guiding the tank through the fog is complete shit on hard, have to run in guns blazing like Rambo and hope you get lucky. Only part I haven't liked so far

Top Bottom