• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Operations takes Rush and just enhanced all its stupid, anti-Battlefieldness tenfold

not to mention the shit last forever, if you ever get a damn game going

I wish capturing flags in conquest gave more points as they are now you could have most of them and somehow still be loosing or loose the match. Plus there's people telling you stop defending the flag and let it get capped, wtf?

Operations takes Rush and just enhanced all its stupid, anti-Battlefieldness tenfold

not to mention the shit last forever, if you ever get a damn game going

Yeah, that's why I don't bother with it. You have to go though all the loading and cutscenes every time. Then the games take a long time compared to other modes. My time is better spent elsewhere.

Friends in high places definitely has an unlikeable protagonist. And the story is just dumb.

I thought that was the whole point: That there is a chance it was all fake and he made the whole thing up (hence the 4th wall break at the end). Either way I guess you could think it was dumb but I liked that little bit of uncertainty at the end. I had the same thought "This is so corny and unbelievable" but that little wink at the end acknowledging that feeling made it work for me.

Especially given that the Zarya/Lawrence of Arabia missions are basically saying the same thing (One person killed a crap ton of people and saved the day by themselves!) but do it without any sort of irony.

I'm not really feeling Operations. The way everyone's been hyping it to hell and back, I thought it'd be stellar. Instead, it just seems like a mindless orgy of explosives and snipers each and every time. I think I'm most surprised by how chaotic and uncoordinated it is. I expected coordinated pushes, organized frontlines, and just less overall explosives spam around the CPs. On paper it's a cool idea, but in practice it just does not work well at all. I also don't like how little room there is around the control points, and how few vehicles there are. It's so damned restrictive... yuck. Back to Conquest I go.

From anyone who's finished, what are your final thoughts on the campaign?

Feel free to just repost your comment if you've already posted about it. I'm curious to hear some thoughts before I dive in.

SilentRob

Something I tried (that didn't work).
-Take a transport vehicle, ideally a bike
-Weaken it so that 1 more K bullet will destroy it
-Drive to the enemy home flag, and park it just outside the capture area on a main road to the next nearest flag, facing the next flag
-Hide nearby, make sure you have a clear view of the bike and look roughly at it so it doesn't de-spawn
-Wait
-Wait longer
-Free bike, right here, someone take it please
-Dont mind the flames
-Keep waiting
-Once an enemy mounts the bike, shoot it!

Like I said, it never actually worked. I must have spent 15+ minutes waiting on various maps, and the only time someone took the bait my first shot didn't destroy the bike (no idea what went wrong) and I was killed before I could shoot again.

:(

I got that challenge by luck in the end, kill stealing from tank v tank battles. Horrible challenge.

If you play with friends you could maybe get them to help you as well. Share the pain.

HahaI love that plan, doesn't matter if it worked or not :D I had 5 minutes left on the countdown and just stumbled upon a burning tank I just had to shoot one more time. Incredibly lucky. But then the countdown ended and...nothing changed? The medals are the same and I'm still at Challenge 4 of the Scout medal now...so what does that countdown even mean? What does it reset?

I thought that was the whole point: That there is a chance it was all fake and he made the whole thing up (hence the 4th wall break at the end). Either way I guess you could think it was dumb but I liked that little bit of uncertainty at the end. I had the same thought "This is so corny and unbelievable" but that little wink at the end acknowledging that feeling made it work for me.

Especially given that the Zarya/Lawrence of Arabia missions are basically saying the same thing (One person killed a crap ton of people and saved the day by themselves!) but do it without any sort of irony.

It really shine when you play with a squad of friends, we literally win a section of a operation just 3 of us in a tank.

LightInfa

Good.. now play defense next time and see how much you hate it.

Also war tapes is actually a the worst setting, it makes bass, treble and everything els louder but it also compresses the audio and you lose a LOT of depth in the audio and there is little difference between soft and loud sounds. So for instances all footsteps sound loud regardless of distance. There is a reason why the game has a setting called HiFi.

It's basically there to exaggerate all the sound effect up to 11 to sound meatier on bad speakers (since they can't do depth properly anyways), if you have a decent speaker system or headphones you are much better off with HiFi.

Nah playing on defense in operations is just as immersive and fun. Love taking position in a trench with the squad at the start of each wave, waiting for the attackers to crest the hill... opening up with the HMG position and picking off as many as possible before the bayonet charge and gas grenades are on top of you... Or hiding out in a bunker as the gas and smoke pore in, waiting for the attackers to blow the door with a charge...

But look as defenders, you aren't supposed to be able to hold every sector, the point is not stopping them on the first sector on the first map and then getting mad when you aren't able to- just make them bleed for every inch. The attackers have so much ground to cover its very difficult to win resoundingly- even playing well as the attacker we usually don't have much margin for error by the time we are on the last sector (if we even get there).

Regardless, I find the immersion of operations enough that balance or lack thereof isn't really bothering me- I am having a blast, and that's with essentially only playing this mode.

SilentRob

Yeah, that moment would have worked if the rest of the game was actually portraying war as the Prologue does. But since every main character in every campaign is a superhuman space marine (I mean, really, that guy with the armor? Come on) it doesn't seem much stupider than the other campaigns do...but in that case they decided to play with that? It's weird.

Overall I was really disappointed with the campaign, a) because you only spend like 45m to 1h with every character and that's not enough time to actually tell a gripping story but the writing was also incredibly corny and melodramatic. On the one hand the game clearly seems to try to tell the story of a few "everyday" soldiers - if you look at the prologue and the overall tone - but on the other hand you only play the uber special units who are basically super human and mainly act alone.

Agent

I just hit Rank 10 Assault and unlocked the Hellriegel. It definitely made the pain of the grind go away. It absolutely melts people, even from distances that surprise me. Now if I can just find a Support that drops ammo crates.

All I have left now is to hit Rank 10 Medic and Support. Probably will hold off on them for a bit since I spent all weekend grinding Assault/Scout for the Rank 10 weapons. Want to enjoy using them for a bit. Plus the Rank 10 weapons for Medic/Support seem a bit underwhelming.

I've only played for a few hours but I think I have had the most fun with this since Bad Company 2!

I have also enjoyed how the environment has changed during matches, although the team I was on was went to shit when it went foggy on one map after dominating it beforehand. It was pretty awesome the way it changed the match

Feel free to just repost your comment if you've already posted about it. I'm curious to hear some thoughts before I dive in.

Overall I liked it. I think I would have preferred just following one particular person or group of protagonists rather than jumping around the war, for story telling purposes but the way they did it was certainly novel and did a decent job of showing all the different kinds of fronts and combat in the war (which in pop culture tends to get diluted to just the Western Front, Verdun-style artillery and trenches). The actual writing was kind of all over the place and the overall tone of the stories, which are very much your standard heroic "one against many" war stories, clashes strongly with the tone of the prologue and epilogue. Also not fond of the lack of French, Russian, or Central power representation but that's been discussed to hell and back. The best overall story was either The Runner (best core storytelling and strong mission design) or Through Mud and Blood(most variety and biggest scope).

Also I wish the Epilogue had included another playable section similar to the prologue, or at least been a focused story-driven mission around the Hellfighter narrator guy (do they ever say his name?). Other than that, it was solid. I think I still like Bad Company 1 and 2 more in terms of Battlefield campaigns but this is a close third.

Tovarisc

I hit Rank 10 Assault and unlocked the Hellriegel. It definitely made the pain of the grind go away. It absolutely melts people, even from distances that surprise me. Now if I can just find a Support that drops ammo crates.

All I have left now is to hit Rank 10 Medic and Support. Probably will hold off on them for a bit since I spent all weekend grinding Assault/Scout for the Rank 10 weapons. Want to enjoy using them for a bit. Plus the Rank 10 weapons for Medic/Support seem a bit underwhelming.

With support you are set for life once you unlock BAR, any variant.

Edit:
How long did it take to rank the Assault class to 10?

Didn't time it, but I would guess... 5-6h.

Very hit and miss, but overall a huge step up from Battlefield 3 and 4.

The tank and desert stories were my favorites because they offered so much freedom in how you attacked enemy positions. The runner story was also decent, though not as open-ended. I thought the plane and mountain missions were both pretty much garbage. The plane one sucked because of the dumbed down flight mechanics and how insanely scripted and linear it was, and the mountain one sucked because it, too, was way too linear.

Agent

With support you are set for life once you unlock BAR, any variant.

Edit:

Didn't time it, but I would guess... 5-6h.

Basically, same with the Medic and the Mondragon. Only the Hellriegel and Martini Henry seem like worthwhile rank 10 weapons to grind for.

Anyone having problems with the new weekly medals? I saw them refresh. The new ones appear, but when I try to select a new one they disappear and last weeks medals appear. I tried restarting and the same thing happened again.

Dubz

I just hit Rank 10 Assault and unlocked the Hellriegel. It definitely made the pain of the grind go away. It absolutely melts people, even from distances that surprise me. Now if I can just find a Support that drops ammo crates.

How long do you think it took you to rank Assault to 10?

I'm not really feeling Operations. The way everyone's been hyping it to hell and back, I thought it'd be stellar. Instead, it just seems like a mindless orgy of explosives and snipers each and every time. I think I'm most surprised by how chaotic and uncoordinated it is. I expected coordinated pushes, organized frontlines, and just less overall explosives spam around the CPs. On paper it's a cool idea, but in practice it just does not work well at all. I also don't like how little room there is around the control points, and how few vehicles there are. It's so damned restrictive... yuck. Back to Conquest I go.
I don't know why you'd expect coordination and organized frontlines for teams of 32 or 20 people.

Within a squad? Absolutely. I play with a full squad of people I know and am communicating with and it's absolutely not mindless and it is organized. We hold down and take points all the time with coordination. It's extremely fulfilling.

All the adjectives you use to describe Operations is how I mostly feel about Conquest.

Where you playing JC? Let me revive and supply you.

on PC, God's chosen platform

we all in the GAF Discord so get at me

I'm pretty much only on 64pConquest, everything else feels like watered down non-Battlefield. I will always say Bad Company 2 is the most overrated BF of all-time, cuz Conquest wasn't shit in that game and people just played Rush 24/7 to compensate...ugh

Watcha playing on?

Campaign. How the hell can you show you're full inventory? I have it set to "full/show" on options but the campaign doesnt show it. So I had to figure out how to use dynamite the hard way and threw a stick grenade when I didn't even know I had any.

I can't do anything stealthy cause I keep thinking I have the opposite shit since this game wont show me what I fucking have other than bullets for some fucking gun I dont even know is called.

Agent

How long do you think it took you to rank Assault to 10?

If I had to guess, I would say probably around 6 hours or so. I primarily played conquest. It probably took a bit longer than some people may take, primarily because I'm not a fan of the guns. However, as long as you play the objective and take out enemy vehicles it goes by fairly fast. Having a competent squad for squad point bonuses helps too.

W1SSY

Does this game not have a training ground like in BF4 where you can just mess around with the vehicles? I would also love to be able to try out the guns before buying them.

jet1911

You can't completely bring down almost every building/structure...so nope not better.

Seems to me that you can only destroy walls and sides rather and it won't really bring down the roof, I for one haven't seen anyone die off from demolition yet so pretty sure it's not there.

The destruction is way more detailled, the way buildings get destroyed, the way the terrain is deformed after a 20 minutes conquest match and there are a lot of buildings that can be completely destroyed.

I don't know why you'd expect coordination and organized frontlines for teams of 32 or 20 people.

I honestly just think PlanetSide 2 has spoiled me, because in that game you do have dozens of people coordinating and communicating all at once. I went back to Conquest and found it to be way more fun and manageable overall. On top of the lack of communication/coordination, I find that Operations packs way too many players in a relatively small portion of the map which is a recipe for chaos. I figured the playable areas would be much larger.

nOoblet16

The destruction is way more detailled, the way buildings get destroyed, the way the terrain is deformed after a 20 minutes conquest match and there are a lot of buildings that can be completely destroyed.
Sorry, don't really see it.
Terrain deformation they way you described existed even in BC1 which was worse than BC2. It's still canned destruction animations but the place of destruction is determined by the player's shot, I don't particularly find much difference between this and BC2 aside from maybe more persistent debris.

20 hours in.... and snipers are really starting to piss me off. I don't know why Dice thought it would be a good idea to give them a very decent range where a shot to ANYWHERE will 1-hit kill. But that's one of my only real complaints about the multiplayer. Sometimes I really, really hate the behemoths.

Medic is my favorite class followed by assault.

My stats thus far:

cyDdvX9.png

Tonight I'm going to grind up my support a bit. Gonna be fun. I hope.

Man I love the scopeless sniper guns. Its so fun playing aggressive sniper.

Im also seeing a totally tolerable amount of snipers. Nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

I only wish there were more support players. Its so hard to get ammo.

Man, I had absolutely no luck with the teams I played with today.

Although we won some rounds, 90% of the team sucked ass. No revives, no tankers, no assault destroying enemy tanks, holy shit, it was BAD.

:|

SilentRob

20 hours in.... and snipers are really starting to piss me off. I don't know why Dice thought it would be a good idea to give them a very decent range where a shot to ANYWHERE will 1-hit kill. But that's one of my only real complaints about the multiplayer.

I'm only Level 3 Scout but so far every Sniper I used needed 2 shots or 1 headshot for a kill. So I'm not sure if that complaint is really accurate...but I don't know if you just get the equivalent to an AWP at level 10 :p

Overall I liked it. I think I would have preferred just following one particular person or group of protagonists rather than jumping around the war, for story telling purposes but the way they did it was certainly novel and did a decent job of showing all the different kinds of fronts and combat in the war (which in pop culture tends to get diluted to just the Western Front, Verdun-style artillery and trenches). The actual writing was kind of all over the place and the overall tone of the stories, which are very much your standard heroic "one against many" war stories, clashes strongly with the tone of the prologue and epilogue. Also not fond of the lack of French, Russian, or Central power representation but that's been discussed to hell and back. The best overall story was either The Runner (best core storytelling and strong mission design) or Through Mud and Blood(most variety and biggest scope).

Also I wish the Epilogue had included another playable section similar to the prologue, or at least been a focused story-driven mission around the Hellfighter narrator guy (do they ever say his name?). Other than that, it was solid. I think I still like Bad Company 1 and 2 more in terms of Battlefield campaigns but this is a close third.
That's kind of what I expected in regards to the bolded. Interested to see what I think of it when my copy arrives tomorrow.
Very hit and miss, but overall a huge step up from Battlefield 3 and 4.

The tank and desert stories were my favorites because they offered so much freedom in how you attacked enemy positions. The runner story was also decent, though not as open-ended. I thought the plane and mountain missions were both pretty much garbage. The plane one sucked because of the dumbed down flight mechanics and how insanely scripted and linear it was, and the mountain one sucked because it, too, was way too linear.
Also what I expected in terms of the plane section haha.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Model-10 shotguns are beast! I've been having fun with this class as it serves as a tank buster or infantry killer:

Assault
Any of the Model-10 Shotguns
Anti-Tank Grenades
Dynamites
Gas Grenades

giphy.gif

Decided to check the stats page: seems the Model 10 accounts for a full 38 percent of my total 970 kills thus far. A beastly thing it is, indeed.

Although I wonder, is there any reason to pick the Factory variant over the Hunter? The latter seems to have exactly the same stats along with slightly better accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2svZRRuWrUQ

BF1 channeling Dark Souls sticky rag dolls

Damn near choked on my food when you started toying with him like an orca with a seal.

Top Bottom