• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Just had the most magnificent moment of parachuting onto the battlements of Fao Fortress and taking out like eight guys with my pistol and hatchet, legitimately being the one man reason my team was able to get in and take the points. Couldn't have choreographed a better scene, the last guy I killed by shooting his friend's trip mine and lighting him on fire.

And of course the shitty Playstation Share function didn't save the clip. I got like 10 gigs of random ass stretches of gameplay it just decides to save on it's own, but it doesn't save the one I actually want it to. This is what I get for wanting to play with my friends and not getting it on PC.

Gaz_RB

In Operations, though, you need to cap that point to progress. Sure, you can pretty easily take the other objective in the mean time, but as long as they can barricade themselves in that bunker, healing and reviving and respawning, it's very difficult for the attackers to mass enough players at the point to outnumber them long enough to capture the zone.

I guess I can see that. But I don't think I've ever been hung up because we haven't been able to get into that bunker. Blow the doors open and grenade the hell out of them.

Coffinhal

It's very meh to me in its gameplay. The idea and stories are neat but too short.

They want people to play them like they would watch a TV show, and don't forget the actual game is the MP, doing a 20h-long SP would be stupid.

Didn't play everything but the stories are basic hollywoodish war stories told in cut scenes and not less academic gameplay sequences with a bit of openness. Great tutorials though if you have patience.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't understand why this is even a thing. Any talk of a patch or anything like that?
Yeah I'm not sure what's causing it. The menus were even worse in the beta to the point they barely functioned. So DICE at least improved it from that point. I'm hopeful it will be fixed further in upcoming patches.

God I love this game. I already know Im going to get nostalgic over this in a few years.

Playing these maps and they already scream "classic"

What's everyone's top 5 BF maps of all time? I feel like Amiens, Forest, or Monte Grappa are going to enter many fan faves.

Is the forest in Operations btw?

v1lla21

Already played more BF1 than BF4 according to the career tab, and haven't experienced a single ultra janky double kill, which never did get fixed.

The one thing I do mess from 4 is Test Range. It was great being able to play around with weapons without being shot at. Nice way to 'warm up' too.
I put 100hours into bf4. I'll probably put 300+ into battlefield 1

I think the first patch will be with the DLC in three months and it will address the menu lag.

As for the Test Range, it really should be there, but since they didn't launch with it, it won't come out later. I don't understand why. And no, using and empty server isn't the same. It's better than nothing, but it isn't. The test range was specifically for testing. It had all vehicles, a firing range (with distance markers) and different level variations you can actually test in.

P.S. I love, that stationary AA gun is so satisfying to use and very effective.

Celcius

°Temp. member
God I love this game. I already know Im going to get nostalgic over this in a few years.

Playing these maps and they already scream "classic"

What's everyone's top 5 BF maps of all time? I feel like Amiens, Forest, or Monte Grappa are going to enter many fan faves.

Is the forest in Operations btw?

Noshar Canals
Zavod
Kharg Island
Paracel Storm
Operation Firestorm

Two stores I went to were sold out of the PS4 version, which surprised me. I guess it's doing really well.

I'm going to play through the campaign, try some multiplayer, then likely return it under a satisfaction guarantee. I just can't get into BF's multiplayer anymore.

The Beard

Two stores I went to were sold out of the PS4 version, which surprised me. I guess it's doing really well.

I'm going to play through the campaign, try some multiplayer, then likely return it under a satisfaction guarantee. I just can't get into BF's multiplayer anymore.

Wow, I didn't think selling out of retail copies was even a thing anymore.

twothreesix

Neo Member
Overall, it's a great game, but I"m still unsure if I like most of the new gun mechanics (reverse cone of fire on LMGs, high first shot bloom, etc.), or if just launch tuning coming into play (which I understand is never going to be perfect), or if there's something that I just haven't figured out yet.

It feels like I'm fighting the COF really early and there's not much I can do to improve it. In BF4, for example, you could learn the effective burst range of weapons and play to those ranges. In this game it feels like I'm always at the mercy of the COF on a lot of guns, so I'm doing what most people seem to be doing, go with the super-accurate high-damage laser that mostly ignores the new COF mechanics, or the super-fast ROF rifle or shotgun for closer ranges.

The reload mechanics on the other hand really stand out to me as great. Things like chambering 1 round at a time if < 5 rounds needed but using a stripper clip if > 5 rounds. This is one of those things that was completely unnecessary for even launching the game, but the fact that they included it is super cool. Also, I nominate the Bull Dog Revolver as one of the best FPS reload animations ever.

Orcus

Man, I really hope they fix the loading times. It honestly feels like it takes minutes to load into a match.
Part of it is the map loading time, but I can tell you that a good portion of it is related to your network connection. It takes longer to load the worse your connection is. My friend and I have the same XBox model, and the same ISP in the same neighborhood. The difference is that he has the better ISP package and uses a direct Ethernet connection, while I have the cheapest ISP package and use wireless. He loads games way faster, and in most matches I'm still in the loading screen while he's been in for a while and the game starts. This is something I'm assuming they brought over from Battlefront because it has the exact same behavior, while BF4 does not.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yet to play one match of Operations on PS4. Every time it puts me in an empty server where no one joins, anyone have this issue?
Yeah, Since the patch, I'm getting errors on join. Also, game hangs on black screen whenever I quit out to main menu. I've been sticking to smaller player count modes for now.

wrongway

Damn, 50-8 playing aggressive scout on the most intense Argonne match. I keep waiting for the turning point where this map shows itself to be awful, but for a corridor map, it makes for a surprising amount of fun and varied fights. For a map I thought was going to be dreadful, I'm really enjoying it so far.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/44346/battlefield-1-update-10242016#latest

General
Fix for one common and one uncommon client crash.
Fixed a potential soft freeze in single player campaign connected to AI.
Fixed an issue where players experienced getting stuck in the globe screen when cancelling matchmaking.
Fixed an issue when trying to join multiple servers.
Fixed an issue where players experienced weapon skins not being removed when scrapping items.
Fixed an issue where players were missing “The Insider” Dog Tag.
Tweaked calculations of values in End of Round.
Fixed issue where Class Rank was incorrect.
Note: This fix may result in players going down in Class Rank to the correct rank. In this scenario, any unlocks purchased at a higher and incorrect rank will not be lost.
PC: Fixed an occasional crash when a user shutdown the game.
PC: Fixed an issue where players experienced troubles with A and X button functionality on PC while using an Xbox One controller.
PC: Fixed an issue where players experienced crashing while closing the client during streaming installation.
Xbox One: Fix for the "Trench Raider" Dog Tag not unlocking on Xbox One.

UI
Fixed two issues in the “Through Mud and Blood” War Story where no new objectives would appear.
Fixed an issue where players experienced wrong info in loading screen.
Fixed an issue where players were missing the Dog Tag counter.
Fixed an issue where English text would appear for players in non-English regions.
Fixed an issue where players experienced a placeholder image when opening the Operations menu for the first time.
PC: Fixed an issue where players were missing an option to display controller button prompts.
Fixed an issue where players experienced End of Round screen not loading.

Graphics
Fixed a crash related to soldier animation.
Fixed a graphical glitch when exiting a War Story and going to the main menu.
Fixed an issue where players experienced player icon overlapping while matchmaking on console.
PC: Temporal anti-aliasing is now the default anti-aliasing mode on medium graphics quality.
PC: Fix for a graphical issue causing artifacts in shadows.

-SG

Playing Operations reminds me of all the fun I had playing RTCW: Enemy Territory back in the day. Exactly what I was looking for.

Tweaked calculations of values in End of Round.
I find it odd that most of the time, the point I collect after a match exactly fill the rank bar. I don't see a hair less or crossing over to the next rank by a hair. It feels like the round caps itself at filling the bar rather than calculating the real amount of points.
I don't know if this is the case or if the quoted fix is about this issue. I can't tell because the game doesn't show how many points till the next rank. It's just a visual color bar.

I love how the opening tries to impress on you how quick and easy it was to die charging around the battlefield, and then in the first Through Mud and Blood missions, they have you roaming around like a one-man army clearing the road.

For a tank.

Sigh. Dunno why I expected better.

TheRed

I love how the opening tries to impress on you how quick and easy it was to die charging around the battlefield, and then in the first Through Mud and Blood missions, they have you roaming around like a one-man army clearing the road.

For a tank.

Sigh. Dunno why I expected better.
Yup it sucks. I was really hoping for an intense campaign with big battles fighting alongside lots of allies pushing through tough situations in the vein of classic Call if Duty and Medal of Honor campaigns. Sadly those games still did the different sides of war better

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Flamethrower guy. Tossed 2 dynamites on his ass and he survived. Killed me 5 times. Every time i heard the Flamethrower sound i'd die soon after. He did 49/6

Yeah, I really wish they'd remove the Battlefront pick-ups. :/

So is the Xbox one controller screwed in this game ? It works every other game I've used hell even in the single player of battlefield but multiplayer the controller will not let me jump out of vehicles or even drive them

web01

I feel like anti-air emplacements should respawn whenever the enemy gets a do-over with a behemoth.

Nah the point is they have been destroyed and you arre being attacked again and must make do. Hence why all destruction remains

And you can spawn into an artillery truck with AA gun and solo the zepplin.

Aters

Flamethrower guy. Tossed 2 dynamites on his ass and he survived. Killed me 5 times. Every time i heard the Flamethrower sound i'd die soon after. He did 49/6

Malee is the most consistent way to take out those fuckers. Stab them in the heart from the back.

Behemoths are too much of a fucking advantage and they are total game changers.

I'm not the kind of guy that think that people who are losing should stay losing, but behemoths are too easy mode to make comebacks but if you want to stop the behemoth you need to work your ass off and hope your team can do the same.

Orcus

God I'm loving this game. There are lots of little issues that need to be fixed, but are not really impacting my enjoyment.

My biggest issue is the team balancing seems to have been significantly toned down since the beta, which is really a shame. You could almost always count on a reversal of fortune or at least a more competitive game during the beta after team blaming, but now I typically get several games of unbalanced teams in row. Fixing that alone would last me until the next DLC.

I also hope the improve the in game in game party system. I get lots of issues joining servers after jumping between parties, or joining and leaving there same party.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
anyone having latency issue, been having them quite frequent since I got this game. Anyone know how to fix them?

So... we still can't customize our solder outside of a match? This is seriously annoying after this was a basic feature of BF3 and BF4. I always hate spending minutes of a round just looking at all the different weapons in the menus and changing up my vehicle loadouts.

Afro

So... we still can't customize our solder outside of a match? This is seriously annoying after this was a basic feature of BF3 and BF4. I always hate spending minutes of a round just looking at all the different weapons in the menus and changing up my vehicle loadouts.

Join an empty Asian server lol. What I do.

Top Bottom