• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

noomi

Is there a way to quick bind (on PC) to drop a medkit, it's a bit annoying to have to select it from the inventory and then place it...

Hey has anyone else used that automatic pistol as a Pilot? That thing is crazy good, rate of fire is nuts and it doesn't even require a full clip to kill someone! Anyone having trouble with the default peashooter should definitely equip this.

sp3ctr3

Still really suss on cavalry health. I think it feels awful because visually they appear completely vulnerable and unarmoured. So while it takes extra rounds to drop a flamer or heavy guy, the visual feedback is okay. Turning a corner to meet an unhorsed cavalry dude, unload almost an entire SMG clip into him, die, and find he's still on 40%hp.....yeah fuck that. They shouldn't be tanks off the horse.

Why are they even tanks on the horse? It should be enough advantage that they can move that fast and swift kill with the blade

I have one of the most stable connections, I've ever seen and yet I 'lost connection to then server' near the end of every match.

This shitfest is going on eBay. Maybe it's just trash on PSN?

It's perfect on PSN, I have never had an issue or have the 4 others I regular with.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I have one of the most stable connections, I've ever seen and yet I 'lost connection to then server' near the end of every match.

This shitfest is going on eBay. Maybe it's just trash on PSN?

The game doesn't run off Sony servers. All down to EA/DICE. I've not had any connectivity issues with it personally.

I like the chaos. The most fun in this game is when shit is just hitting the fan in multiple ways. It's not like it lasts that long.

I absolutely love it when the enemy is bearing down on you with a zeppelin in the air and then all of a sudden it goes all foggy or rainy.

I feel like screaming down the mic like braveheart or some shit

elyetis

Yeah I'd love the tripwire back, I pretty much only play support and ammo box is mostly useless since you are constantly giving out ammo packs anyway, the mortar is hit or miss but mostly miss, you are a sitting duck when you use it and you need to hit someone directly on the noggin to actually kill them or do significant damage.
Pretty much.

Sure the mortar has it's use, but it's almost only about getting kills on situation where there is a huge amount of defender on a single flag. I would actually trade it for a gaz or even smoke version if I could.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Pretty much.

Sure the mortar has it's use, but it's almost only about getting kills on situation where there is a huge amount of defender on a single flag. I would actually trade it for a gaz or even smoke version if I could.
Tripwire belongs to the scout now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Press 3/4 depending on slot its in and you drop it without switching guns.

Or, if you have a multi-button mouse: Just bind "Gadget 1/2" to Mouse 4/5. Done. It's what I've been doing for years.

Yeah I'd love the tripwire back, I pretty much only play support and ammo box is mostly useless since you are constantly giving out ammo packs anyway, the mortar is hit or miss but mostly miss, you are a sitting duck when you use it and you need to hit someone directly on the noggin to actually kill them or do significant damage.

Claymores being back on support would be kinda broken if they could do 2 like they did in the beta. The mortar has a "multi-fire" mode in my experience and can kill if you spam all 5 while the first shot has that "third person fly-by-camera" thing going on. But yeah, it's utterly pointless given the short range. Though, it's highly annoying in Rush on defense since if the attackers abuse that and keep the tank back, there's very little the defense can do in trying to pot-shot them off it and stop that bullshit.

void666

Banned
I like the chaos. The most fun in this game is when shit is just hitting the fan in multiple ways. It's not like it lasts that long.

I love it. It adds to the chaos.
I just don't like how abrutly weather changes. One moment you can't see shit, the next it's clear and sunny.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It's perfect on PSN, I have never had an issue or have the 4 others I regular with.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Same no net and connection issues for me. Might be his net. Easy to blame game servers, PSN etc. But yeah, my net isn't even fast, no issues so far.

aravuus

I love it. It adds to the chaos.
I just don't like how abrutly weather changes. One moment you can't see shit, the next it's clear and sunny.

More gradual change would be good, but yeah, otherwise I really like it too. Gameplay-wise I totally see why someone would hate it, but I love how intense and atmospheric it makes things.

CSJ

But it does allow one to prepare his comeback (change his loadout and select spawn spot)

Need the ability to do that prior to entering the game and the lack of a practice area like BF4 had is a step backwards, trying weapons and mods and vehicles solo and making loadouts is awesome.

You can do it and create multiple/re-nameable loadouts on the bf1 careers page though.
But yes, people skipping revive stage should not be allowed, it completely goes against some game modes and people wanting to bother resurrecting when it happens so often.

I play mostly medic, in fact I have no level in any other classes yet but I haven't played THAT much.

I've been enjoying the game but one thing I really dislike about this and all Battlefield games is that it often feels that I lack agency when compared to other shooters. I feel like I'm not in control of either the battlefield or my own self-preservation as much as I am in other games.

As an example, on Ballroom Blitz it's not uncommon that I've spawned at B at the 4th defensive point only to immediately have one of the bombers hit me and kill me. The same goes for other maps and chokes, where I've spawned and been immediately hit by a grenade, sniped, or even stabbed by someone that the game allowed me to be stabbed by. I've even spawned in tanks and planes only to have them explode within 3 seconds of my spawning in.

On top of that, the squad system just doesn't work when you're playing with a group of randoms. They don't stick together so the squad system just ends up rewarding coordinated parties and punishing pick up groups. You finish matches with considerably less points as your squad leader fails to assign objectives, and your squad do not stick in close proximity so as to receive the revive and assist bonuses that you would normally get by working together. This can result in almost half the score output in comparison squads that work together.

There's a lot of elements of the game that I could praise and I want to emphasise that, but I just felt like complaining for the moment. There are some elements of the experience that have been really getting on my nerves and honestly I think a big part of it is just playing alone. The lack of agency is more of a factor when playing alone too, as you have much more influence on the Battlefield within a group, and communication can result in better spawns and less 'what the hell just happened' scenarios, but all of that is locked off to the solo player. Randoms do not coordinate, they do not use mics, they do not stick together and they rarely assign objectives, it feels like a night and day experience between playing with friends and alone.

It's easy to say that I should just play with others then, but that isn't a solution. People should be able to play alone and have a good time, have access to a similar quality of gameplay experience that parties do, and not feel considerably disadvantaged by the games systems for doing so. Most games leave you with a communication disadvantage if you play alone, but here it's much more than that. I feel that Dice should work towards developing better systems to organise these solo queuers, because it's clear that many of them feel lost too. You see them struggle then all switch to sniper, lying prone at the back of the map, you see them running of on their own with no idea of what they could do to best-benefit the team, only seeking to get back into the fray as quickly as possible. The way they process information in the Battlefield is not only a detriment to their own experience but the experience of everyone around them, and it's not their fault, it's the games systems that are at fault.

Part of me thinks that instead of assigning the pick up squads with a leader, an AI commander that adaptively shapes the battlefield dependent on demands at different objectives would better curate a better battlefield experience. Rather than having a squad leader that does little to nothing to direct and unify his squad we could have an AI system that recognises where that squad would be most useful and directs them there, rewarding them automatically for doing so. It could even communicate some suggestions like 'why are you all playing scout?' and be integrated in to the game in a seemless manner similar to the existing voice overs that inform you of objective status.

Xyber

Is there a way to quick bind (on PC) to drop a medkit, it's a bit annoying to have to select it from the inventory and then place it...

I.. didn't even know you could select and have medkits up without throwing them. o_O

I also don't see any situation where I would want to either. :p

thejpfin

Still really suss on cavalry health. I think it feels awful because visually they appear completely vulnerable and unarmoured. So while it takes extra rounds to drop a flamer or heavy guy, the visual feedback is okay. Turning a corner to meet an unhorsed cavalry dude, unload almost an entire SMG clip into him, die, and find he's still on 40%hp.....yeah fuck that. They shouldn't be tanks off the horse.

Agree 100%. Back in the beta people were saying it was a bug that cavalry had that extra armor/health. Maybe it's still bugged? Dunno.

JDB

Banned
I've mentioned this before, but can anyone else also not switch weapons/gadget while holding down crouch? (PC)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Did I read somewhere that it is client based, so you could be in a sandstorm, but others in game wouldn't be?

I believe that was just a bug that the client wasn't syncing with the server properly so sometimes it would last longer for some players than others.

moai

isnt cavalry wearing like an armored vest? i could swear i saw one protecting the chest.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Just too accurate
wSCmiNW.gif

Tovarisc

"Medic is coming. He is closer, closer. Aw hell, he walked past my corpse. Imma hold the skip button...Fuck this shit...Oh wait, he's coming back! *releases skip button* ... Oh, he's gone again."

So many emotions.

I have started to ignore people who hold down skip button and I'm not on top of them. Also if they put skip button when I get close, but I don't revive instantly because I'm too busy staying alive myself I just ignore revive. Why I should put my weapon away and take syringe out if you are going to or threaten to skip anyway?

Edit: If there is more than enough of time left in revive window let medic take his time and stay alive.

aravuus

e: ^ In addition to your edit, I'm pretty sure you can still be revived even after the skip bar is full, so it might be wise to wait a couple of extra seconds too in some cases.

I do try to run to and revive people even if they are skipping if it's safe enough, I've noticed a lot of people stop the skipping process when you get close enough.

Just too accurate
wSCmiNW.gif

Hahaha, thankfully this hasn't been that common in my experience.

kriskrosbbk

To the people that use for a back dogtag "100 kills with a given weapon" ,when you enter the companion do you see the amount of kills on your equipped dogtag.Mine is blank.

I'm playing on PC and whenever I use mouse/kb I feel like it's so much more accurate but the controller is much more fun and relaxing especially with vehicles. I'd love to be able to use kb/m as soldier and controller for everything else but unfortunately I'm a heathen inverted y axis player so it's not practical for me. :(

That being said, I'm holding my own against other players but sniping is still so awkward and I'm dancing all over the place with the scope and missing 10+ clear chances to kill someone.

Tovarisc

e: ^ In addition to your edit, I'm pretty sure you can still be revived even after the skip bar is full, so it might be wise to wait a couple of extra seconds too in some cases.

I do try to run to and revive people even if they are skipping if it's safe enough, I've noticed a lot of people stop the skipping process when you get close enough.

If you skip you deny revive fully. If you let deploy timer run out and don't press space immediately there is still small window for medic to revive. Also it blows when you are rushing over no mans land to reach revive target, but fucker skips on you leaving you in open to be shot at for no reason. Skip is so fast that medic can be on route and you still can be total dick and skip on him.

aravuus

Also it blows when you are rushing over no mans land to reach revive target, but fucker skips on you leaving you in open to be shot at for no reason.

Absolutely, which is why I'm glad the skull icons do phase in and out when the player is skipping. If it's a dangerous situation, I'll just ignore those people completely.

Of course they'll whine about nobody reviving them 10 minutes later.

bosseye

Screw those weather effects.
If you don't see shit, the games not fun..

The weather is brilliant, one of the best things about the game - anything that switches up the gameplay is a Good Thing for me, keeps everything a little bit fresher and dynamic. Forces you to play a different way occasionally.

Prime example, I was on Empire's Edge on a glorious sunny day and it was just sniper hell, they were fucking everywhere being shit and useless and annoying. And then the fog rolled in, you couldn't see 10ft in front of you - fuck you snipers! Ha. Suddenly the map is more close quarters and there were some epic moments.

Also, I spent a few minutes in the hills sniper hunting all those idiot snipers who were still just lying among the rocks even though they couldn't see anyone to shoot. Got a good few dogtags.

So that's just one of the reasons why weather is a good thing.

The motorcycle in this game is annoying. The controls for it are so finicky and if you barely hit something it'll just go crazy. There could be like a little dip in the road that'll make you crash.

Just too accurate
wSCmiNW.gif

Usually people are waiting to kill a medic so I'm cautious in trying to pick someone up
It happened twice when I went to go get someone , a guy was waiting laying down lol

Am I only one experiencing awful load times? Like at least 2-3 minutes for conquest and 1 minute for team death match 0_o

Beta was much more faster and I was on a wired connection

The Behemoths on Operations have way too much health considering how utterly devastating they can be. I made 4 passes on it in the bomber and hardly put a dent in it.

Top Bottom