• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Skab

I'd really like to see a tug of war style mode that uses operations sectors. Basically a one map operations, first sector starts unclaimed and in the center, and both sides are trying to capture/push sectors until they have the whole map.

I think I need to take a break for a bit. I’m going to burn myself out playing at this rate. The game is just addicting though. I just can’t play one game. I’m always like hmm just one more match and next thing I know it’s been like three hours.

Ak6wMq3.png

Is there anything worth $20 in the Early Enlisted edition? I'm still on the fence whether I want to get the game in the next month, the next 6 months, or in a year from now. Even in DICE's best game since BC2, Star Wars Battlefront, it suffers from DICE's age old failure of "fix one thing, break two others" in patches. I don't expect BF1 to escape this fate.

I made the leading highlight reel for Kotaku! Love this game! I can't wait to get teamed up with some GAFers this weekend.

http://kotaku.com/battlefield-1-player-snipes-dude-falling-off-zeppelin-1788165661Highlight Reel

Don't jump from the Zeppelin!

I think I need to take a break for a bit. I’m going to burn myself out playing at this rate. The game is just addicting though. I just can’t play one game. I’m always like hmm just one more match and next thing I know it’s been like three hours.
Nice SPM!

Coffinhal

Fuck this game

It ran smoothly at 60fps yesterday, now it is constantly at 35fps or so even when turning down options. Already put the game to Max performance in Nvidia panel.

Also I constantly have the bug of fullscreen being blurry and needing to change each time I alt+tab to bordelais to have the proper 1080p resolution

Just had a great run with the flamethrower:

https://youtu.be/OIBoFzoTXu8

I went on a 24 kill streak with the flamethrower on Fao Fortress. My squadmate kept healing me from this light tank roaming around. Had so many close calls but I made it out alive just by pure dumb luck. It was great roasting people.

Going for a WWI settings was a sublime decision by DICE. So much unexploited potential, I bet everyone else is kicking themselves or getting their proposals ready.

Is there anything worth $20 in the Early Enlisted edition? I'm still on the fence whether I want to get the game in the next month, the next 6 months, or in a year from now. Even in DICE's best game since BC2, Star Wars Battlefront, it suffers from DICE's age old failure of "fix one thing, break two others" in patches. I don't expect BF1 to escape this fate.

Well that's something I didn't expect to read in like... my entire life.

NIN90

Anybody else not liking the overall Operations structure? The mode itself is great but having them grouped up like that only leads to the latter maps getting very little play time since most matches end with the attackers failing on the first map or (rarely) only having one attack left for the second map.
I'd prefer them just doing away with that meta crap and just implement it like the other game types.

ChrisV

So I want to get this. I have Xbox One, PS4 and a brand new gaming laptop which should be here next week. Should I just wait a week or get it for one of the consoles, and which one?

Anybody else not liking the overall Operations structure? The mode itself is great but having them grouped up like that only leads to the latter maps getting very little play time since most matches end with the attackers failing on the first map or (rarely) only having one attack left for the second map.
I'd prefer them just doing away with that meta crap and just implement it like the other game types.

I have played a few matches, but just like Rush it is merely a distraction from Conquest. That's where I spend nearly all of my time in BF games.

Part of me thinks that instead of assigning the pick up squads with a leader, an AI commander that adaptively shapes the battlefield dependent on demands at different objectives would better curate a better battlefield experience. Rather than having a squad leader that does little to nothing to direct and unify his squad we could have an AI system that recognises where that squad would be most useful and directs them there, rewarding them automatically for doing so. It could even communicate some suggestions like 'why are you all playing scout?' and be integrated in to the game in a seemless manner similar to the existing voice overs that inform you of objective status.

I really, really like this idea.

I would love it if A.I could see where most players are, and then assign a squad elsewhere.

For example, if the whole bloody team is on Flag A in Operations and someone needs to defend Flag B, a squad or two should be assigned to Flag B by an A.I command that encourages it so.

It would be so much better for the flow of this game.

Fuck this game

It ran smoothly at 60fps yesterday, now it is constantly at 35fps or so even when turning down options. Already put the game to Max performance in Nvidia panel.

Also I constantly have the bug of fullscreen being blurry and needing to change each time I alt+tab to bordelais to have the proper 1080p resolution

Something else seems off here. I don't know your specs, but it doesn't make much sense that the game managed to change its code over night to lose you 25 fps. This is one of the better optimized games you'll play on PC. I'd keep troubleshooting. Not to mention, no one else on PC has complained about that kind of frame drop between yesterday and today.

After playing so much Rainbow 6, I feel every teambased FPS needs a manual mark indicator (to point to things in the 3D world), and a lean feature. Battlefield has lean, but strangely only for cover. Let me lean when ADS'ing.

I really enjoy the overarching story, and we need 2 maps minimum for the 3 battalion styled attacks to work

Attackers simply need an extra battalion for making it to the next map. I swear, some of those 3 flag sectors are hopeless with some teams. Too many people failing to defend a flag, leading in constant overturns. I really just want a giant prompt that says: "DEFEND FLAG X". Some people simply forget that.

-Give us extra points for defending. Make it into a big deal, make flag defends a top honour as opposed to flag captures.

You know what? Medics are great in this game. Im constantly seeing tons of med packs everywhere. The likely reason is that they are throwing it for themselves, but whatever.

I counted 6 med packs in my vicinity in Argonne Forest yesterday....not a single ammo pack anywhere.

Since Support doesnt actually need to replenish themselves (no tripwire, crazy ammo count), they dont put ammo down for themselves, and as a result, for others.

I want the ability to be automated if screaming at Support doesn't work.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just too accurate

Sad, but true. What annoys me more as a medic though is when there is like 4-5 bodies, one of them is timing out faster, I go to revive that one and then go back toward the others and like 2 of them just held spacebar to go to spawn. It's like "GUYS! IF YOU GIVE ME A CHANCE! I SWEAR I WILL GET TO YOU AS FAST AS I CAN."

I just want to actually spawn on the flag I choose to spawn on.

Spawn on B - run for 30 seconds to get to B

Arrive when it's overrun - die.

B get's taken, spawn on A - run for 30 seconds to get to A

Bigger army on A - die

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just want to actually spawn on the flag I choose to spawn on.

Spawn on B - run for 30 seconds to get to B

Arrive when it's overrun - die.

B get's taken, spawn on A - run for 30 seconds to get to A

Bigger army on A - die

Technically, you do. It's just the spawns are (rightly) put a bit away so people can't camp you. If you've played something like Bad Company 1 or CoD4 or others where people memorize the spawns in a small area, they can just camp that area and shoot you in the back on spawning.

"But the maps are bigger in this Battlefield." Technically, yes. But it's still possible to do that, I was playing BF2142 last weekend and had that happen a few times while spawning on the clags in Conquest.

Mugenjin

Hey, the teams/players who have every single squad at 2 people and locked, are you fucking stupid?

That actually happens by default if you join as a group. Atleast sometimes when the system works and puts you in your own squad it will be locked and people don't know that it's locked since there'd be no reason for them to go to the squad menu. So blame DICE for that.

Or in case they deliberately locked their squad then yes they are fucking stupid.

Hobbes211

You know what? Medics are great in this game. Im constantly seeing tons of med packs everywhere. The likely reason is that they are throwing it for themselves, but whatever.

I counted 6 med packs in my vicinity in Argonne Forest yesterday....not a single ammo pack anywhere.

Since Support doesnt actually need to replenish themselves (no tripwire, crazy ammo count), they dont put ammo down for themselves, and as a result, for others.

People already only need to press Q when the game determines someone needs it, but maybe they need to change the threshold that those prompts appear for. Support seems to be the most underplayed class anyway in my experience.

Skab

If it makes you feel better I toss ammo packs down all the time as support so I can replenish my grenades.

I spam the shit out of incendiary nades :X

Technically, you do. It's just the spawns are (rightly) put a bit away so people can't camp you. If you've played something like Bad Company 1 or CoD4 or others where people memorize the spawns in a small area, they can just camp that area and shoot you in the back on spawning.

"But the maps are bigger in this Battlefield." Technically, yes. But it's still possible to do that, I was playing BF2142 last weekend and had that happen a few times while spawning on the clags in Conquest.

A very good point. I'd be even more pissed off getting spawn killed.

I forgive you DICE

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I got my new box yesterday (replacing my old alienware alpha r1 - RIP, you did your job well, soldier). I can now run the game at high/ultra settings - man, this game looks incredible. It seems to be optimized so well that even on my old Alpha, running at low settings, it still looked good.

I wish the game gave points when you defend something. Like, we capture a flag or a point, and then everyone rushes off to the next point. In reality, we should keep a squad or 2 there to defend it, but everyone leaves. You should get points per period of time you spend defending a flag so it's worthwhile to defend.

I got my new box yesterday (replacing my old alienware alpha r1 - RIP, you did your job well, soldier). I can now run the game at high/ultra settings - man, this game looks incredible. It seems to be optimized so well that even on my old Alpha, running at low settings, it still looked good.

I wish the game gave points when you defend something. Like, we capture a flag or a point, and then everyone rushes off to the next point. In reality, we should keep a squad or 2 there to defend it, but everyone leaves. You should get points per period of time you spend defending a flag so it's worthwhile to defend.

You get points for killing enemies in the flag area don't you?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Just too accurate
wSCmiNW.gif
The number of medics who don't go out their way to save people is too damn high. What is even worse is the medic who just hides behind cover 5m away from you, trying to snipe a sniper with his carbine. Just go prone and revive me. You only need to be 3m away to revive someone.

Tovarisc

The number of medics who don't go out their way to save people is too damn high. What is even worse is the medic who just hides behind cover 5m away from you, trying to snipe a sniper with his carbine. Just go prone and revive me. You only need to be 3m away to revive someone.

Unless hitbox for needle gets funky and you need to literally prone inside of dead soldier for revive to register.

The Beard

I have one of the most stable connections, I've ever seen and yet I 'lost connection to then server' near the end of every match.

This shitfest is going on eBay. Maybe it's just trash on PSN?

I've already played 30+ hours of MP on PS4 and I've been dropped from a server one time. I think you've got some other issue.

no need to revive vegetas , they will just die again ;p

I saved 3 people last match so I'm helping my bros out

There was a brilliant system in Hardline that I thought DICE would implement into their games permanently. If you needed healing or ammo, you could press a button near the player to get a small boost of either. They'd be notified of this, and would often then throw down a pack. It should be in every Battlefield really.

Pandy

I feel very similarly.
Think me and my buddies are all going to buy it in the next few weeks (currently lots of positive impressions in this thread) and hope to get a good few months out of it before it becomes a broken and unworkable mess as DLC and patches take their toll.

Really enjoyed Battlefront at launch (despite major and obvious problems), but tried going back to it recently and it simply wasn't fun anymore.

Top Bottom