• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Part of me thinks that instead of assigning the pick up squads with a leader, an AI commander that adaptively shapes the battlefield dependent on demands at different objectives would better curate a better battlefield experience. Rather than having a squad leader that does little to nothing to direct and unify his squad we could have an AI system that recognises where that squad would be most useful and directs them there, rewarding them automatically for doing so. It could even communicate some suggestions like 'why are you all playing scout?' and be integrated in to the game in a seemless manner similar to the existing voice overs that inform you of objective status.

Dice actually did this in BF2 like 12 years(?) ago with the Commander role essentially acting as the hand of god from an overhead view. They could see the entire map and assign squad orders watching everything unfold like an RTS. It was brilliant and on servers with serious players absolutely mindblowing watching formations of squads being mindful of what the commander is ordering and systematically reacting in real-time to directions. Sadly, I don't think Dice has implemented the same system in a BF game since(maybe 3 had it with second screen implementation IIRC, but it was pared way down I think).

Jezbollah

Just too accurate
wSCmiNW.gif

Oh god this. This so much.

Absolutely, which is why I'm glad the skull icons do phase in and out when the player is skipping. If it's a dangerous situation, I'll just ignore those people completely.

Of course they'll whine about nobody reviving them 10 minutes later.

I swear half of everyone I go to revive just hold down skip. Like I'll be right next to a dude and he skips while I'm trying to jab my needle into them.

Also, what's up with not being able to change vehicle loadouts on the spawn screen? In BF4 you can change both weapons and vehicle loadouts while you wait, but in BF1 you have to wait until a vehicle icon appears to customize it, which is dumb. So many stupid little decisions like this in games that I have no idea how the devs don't pick up on.

The Behemoths on Operations have way too much health considering how utterly devastating they can be. I made 4 passes on it in the bomber and hardly put a dent in it.
I honestly think its usefulness is overstated. Despite being able to rain death on people i still see people very easily able to take points even with one right over them.

CHC

Oh my god the planes are just so fucking hard to fly with a mouse and keyboard. I shouldn't even bother anymore really.

Oh my god the planes are just so fucking hard to fly with a mouse and keyboard. I shouldn't even bother anymore really.

It's not too bad. However, there is like this weird rubber band effect when you try to dogfight someone. Like I'll get behind someone and they'll be jumping all over the place. It's not my connection because it only happens flying.

nowarning

Limpet charges are pretty good, had loads of kills with them, just blowing the walls off of buildings I know people are in, throwing them into bunkers etc. Hardly seen anyone using them in the games I've played. Blew the floor out from underneath someone in a house, bet they didn't have a clue what happened, haha.

T.O.P

Banned
My internet connection has finally been fixed, no more Operations matches where i get kicked out of the game at the last stretch :D

nowarning

They're kind of awkward. They can't be thrown very far, and you can't control the time of their detonation. I've had some fun with them, but like most things about the Support class in this game, I'm either meh on it, or dislike it.

Yeah I hear that, I'm just going through the different gadgets at the moment and I had a lot of fun with them. The support weapons that I've used so far feel a bit weak, not sure which is the best to use yet.

It's not too bad. However, there is like this weird rubber band effect when you try to dogfight someone. Like I'll get behind someone and they'll be jumping all over the place. It's not my connection because it only happens flying.

Yeah this is what is keeping me from dogfighting.

Also tried the tankbuster attack plane. You get a slow, underpowered cannon with some bombs. Feels underwhelming since it's about 20 dmg to tanks and has serious drop making only possible for one shot per run.

Yeah I hear that, I'm just going through the different gadgets at the moment and I had a lot of fun with them. Support weapons feel a bit weak, not sure which is the best to use yet.
Yeah. I mean they're definitely powerful though.

The LMG's are pretty weak, primarily because of the weird recoil mechanic Dice decided to implement with them. I've mostly been using the MG15 n.A. Storm.

Yeah this is what is keeping me from dogfighting.

Also tried the tankbuster attack plane. You get a slow, underpowered cannon with some bombs. Feels underwhelming since it's about 20 dmg to tanks and has serious drop making only possible for one shot per run.

The attack plane is kind of meh for me. The only thing I really like about it are the flares. I find the fighter trench package to be the best. Good against other aircraft, but I can still do bombing runs on infantry. If I really want to do a lot of ground damage I’ll just go bomber. The attack plane is just wonky for me.

I refused to fly in BF games on PC because I always thought mouse control was impossible. Then I realized that you're supposed to be using the arrow keys to turn. All those wasted years...

I don't wanna be one of those lamenting about MP-things, but what is going on with the spawn-points? Especially in Conquest it feels like the game wants to put you near some enemy and mostly with your back towards the direction where the current action is taking place.

Tovarisc

You don't understand the logic that the cavalryman is armored? You don't understand the logic that when he gets of the horse he doesn't undress at the same time?

He should lose extra damage resistance moment he dismounts. Going against hero-lite with OHK sword on foot is kinda bullshit. You can literally mag dump into cavalry soldier even with hard hitting BAR and not leave even dent. When on horse back I understand need for extra damage resistance as he is big target.

Rocketz

I don't wanna be one of those lamenting about MP-things, but what is going on with the spawn-points? Especially in Conquest it feels like the game wants to put you near some enemy and mostly with your back towards the direction where the current action is taking place.

I came in here to say the same thing about Domination. It's actually getting really frustrating as I feel the majority of my deaths are from being shot in the back.

CHC

I wish there was a mode that was like.... Diet Operations. I really like the sectors dynamic, but sometimes the lack of map variety gets boring in Operations since you rarely make it to the second, let alone third, map.

Conquest feels like a totally disorganized shit show after Operations, and I'd love to do Empire's Edge or Sinai Desert with the sector mechanics going on.

And yeah I know about Rush but it seems like no one plays it, plus no 64-player....

I wish there was a mode that was like.... Diet Operations. I really like the sectors dynamic, but sometimes the lack of map variety gets boring in Operations since you rarely make it to the second, let alone third, map.

Conquest feels like a totally disorganized shit show after Operations, and I'd love to do Empire's Edge or Sinai Desert with the sector mechanics going on.
Agreed. The multiple map and cutscene deal is cool at first but after a few matches it becomes kind of pointless. Operations on a single map with 2 attack waves (second with a behemoth) would be better, in my opinion.

Agreed. The multiple map and cutscene deal is cool at first but after a few matches it becomes kind of pointless. Operations on a single map with 2 attack waves (second with a behemoth) would be better, in my opinion.

They may well listen to the community and offer short range 'skirmish' as an alternative to Operations.
While it's the funnest mode I do find that it takes ages so I only get a few in a night.

Also - they may well do CQB style games like BF3 or 4 did. That'd be awesome on some of the smaller maps.

CHC

Yep, I mean I can deal with the cutscenes and whatever other fanfare there is, but the real problem is lack of variety in the maps. The odds you'll ever see the late stage maps are just so low. I've only been to the Forest one time in Operations and NEVER even seen Sinai Desert.

Just started playing yesterday on PS4 (r3wind96 - add me!) quite like Operations although it does get a bit chaotic. I'm noticing the balance in teams is quite poor, lots of low levels on my teams vs level 62s and such...

And nobody seems to play for objectives, what a surprise. Most of the time in Operations Apples or Butter is captured, then the entire team runs off to attack the other objective leaving the first one to be taken back. Once I got in a decent team the game did come together nicely though, even managed to get a Armour kit in my first match which was fun.

I've also joined the NeoGaf BF1 PS4 community

The Behemoths on Operations have way too much health considering how utterly devastating they can be. I made 4 passes on it in the bomber and hardly put a dent in it.

I've played on a team that took down the train within a minute of its arrival. I was spawning to attack it and when I ran over it was destroyed. No idea how it was done so fast.

I've played on a team that took down the train within a minute of its arrival. I was spawning to attack it and when I ran over it was destroyed. No idea how it was done so fast.

Behemoths go down easy when the team concentrates fire on them. They seem to take forever when you are the only one attacking them, but really they are meant to take a team effort to bring down, not just one or a couple of folks giving it some fire.

Behemoths go down easy when the team concentrates fire on them. They seem to take forever when you are the only one attacking them, but really they are meant to take a team effort to bring down, not just one or a couple of folks giving it some fire.

My goal?

Parachute down and land in the cockpit. Kill the pilot.

Profit???

Also it would be cool to parachute down on top of it and just keep throwing dynamite charges at it.

Pakoe

He should lose extra damage resistance moment he dismounts. Going against hero-lite with OHK sword on foot is kinda bullshit. You can literally mag dump into cavalry soldier even with hard hitting BAR and not leave even dent. When on horse back I understand need for extra damage resistance as he is big target.

Yeah this is what i meant.

Top Bottom