• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Does anyone else scrap all their battlepack skins because they don't care? I just find it lackluster coming from BF4. and majority of the time my gun is covered in mud so I can't look at it anyway.

The only weapon skin I use is the Dough Boy on the BAR. I find the rest to be really underwhelming.

Does anyone else scrap all their battlepack skins because they don't care? I just find it lackluster coming from BF4. and majority of the time my gun is covered in mud so I can't look at it anyway.

I scrap anything that isn't at least blue rarity. I'll keep the rarer ones just for the e-peen; you really can't tell the difference in the heat of the moment (or see it on your opponents either) but I like having them anyway. Honestly I'd prefer them be subdued like this than garish and over the top like the newer CoD games or CS:GO.

I think the biggest medic annoyance of all is the prevalence of over-eager medics who revive you right in the line of fire that killed you in the first place, or worse yet, WHILE you are under fire from an artillery barrage.

Like, look man, I get that you have good intentions, but dial it down a notch please.

I don't see any problem with it really. You don't get an extra death added to your stats, and if you die immediately you have basically no spawn time. No real downside to being revived in general

I think the biggest medic annoyance of all is the prevalence of over-eager medics who revive you right in the line of fire that killed you in the first place, or worse yet, WHILE you are under heavy shelling from an artillery barrage.

Like, look man, I get that you have good intentions, but dial it down a notch please.
Tomorrow:

"I hate when medics don't revive me."

CHC

I don't see any problem with it really. You don't get an extra death added to your stats, and if you die immediately you have basically no spawn time. No real downside to being revived in general

I guess it doesn't do any harm but there is just something that makes me roll my eyes when I hear that revive gasp and I'm like "oh yeah, let's do this!" and then the grenade which was already at my feet explodes, killing everyone instantly.

It's a minor annoyance though. Like I said, their hearts are in the right place....

I think the biggest medic annoyance of all is the prevalence of over-eager medics who revive you right in the line of fire that killed you in the first place, or worse yet, WHILE you are under heavy shelling from an artillery barrage.

You're alive and I will take my points for reviving you!

Bahlor

I guess it doesn't do any harm but there is just something that makes me roll my eyes when I hear that revive gasp and I'm like "oh yeah, let's do this!" and then the grenade which was already at my feet explodes, killing everyone instantly.

It's a minor annoyance though. Like I said, their hearts are in the right place....

A revived soldier is eventually alive, a dead soldier is dead forever.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I'll take that than over medics who will walk right over your dead body and not even think of reviving.

Can I get a gun recommendation?
I've always taken issue with the way battlefield likes to throw rounds everywhere except where my front sight post is aiming if I try to shoot while moving. Typically there's a configuration of attachments that alleviates the problem but I'm confused by the way they name the weapon variants in this game.
I'd prefer something in the medic class but I'm desperate and will take anything at this point.

So how do you guys like to build your Support class? Gimme the whole run down of everything!

I got my service star on the default LMG. The AA scope is amazing. I get outgunned if I get shot first, but if youre careful, you can easily mow down 3 -4 enemies without reloading

CHC

I'll take that than over medics who will walk right over your dead body and not even think of reviving.

Me too of course!

Don't take this as a diss on medics - I play medic a lot and I've done my fair share of irresponsible revives as well, it's just something I decided to air my grievances about.

I just wish skins were able to be purchased in some capacity. I have a bunch of skins for guns I'll probably use and not like now. Not to mention an endless supply of warbonds. I've bought the auto-revolver, a medic carbine and a pick axe to date. That's it.

The only weapon skin I use is the Dough Boy on the BAR. I find the rest to be really underwhelming.

I suspect that there will be new guns added to buy once the dust settles, I just really see no point to skins this time around considering its not a modern setting.

bounchfx

I love getting revived, and then my camera doing a complete 180 when I rez, facing away from any potential enemies and being killed immediately

I'm so fucking sick and tired of people not playing the objective. I just went 63-16 on Amiens (best map btw) going to and from objective doing my best, but there's only so much one person can do. People are actively ruining mine and other people's experience because they're too scared to play the objective for a game mode THEY CHOSE to play.

You mean like this?

I don't understand why people get so worked up about it. I laughed my arse off when that happened, and I laugh again every time I watch that footage!

To all the medics out there: you can revive me any time :)

vixlar

Wtf. That's an awful addition. No wonder some tanks are healing so fast.

This completely negates the support wrench

I think the tank needs a maximum health to work. The cooldown is long. And the repair tool is really good. I don't know why nobody uses it. They think that it is not needed because the self repair, but having someone looking for your vehicle health while you are obliterating everything is cool.

Can I get a gun recommendation?
I've always taken issue with the way battlefield likes to throw rounds everywhere except where my front sight post is aiming if I try to shoot while moving. Typically there's a configuration of attachments that alleviates the problem but I'm confused by the way they name the weapon variants in this game.
I'd prefer something in the medic class but I'm desperate and will take anything at this point.

For medic, most people use either the M1916 or Mondragon. They are pretty similar, however the Mondragon shoots faster, but the M1916 has more rounds. If you want a DMR that is better at close/middle range try the Autoloading 8.25 Extended.

Me too of course!

Don't take this as a diss on medics - I play medic a lot and I've done my fair share of irresponsible revives as well, it's just something I decided to air my grievances about.

A death is a death tho, right? So at worst it costs you an extra 2 or 3 seconds of inconvenience? It does absolutely nothing to your K/D.

So what if the shelling stops? What if they killed the person shooting. It's always better to be safe than sorry. It's more than worth it.

Mahonay

Banned
Wtf. That's an awful addition. No wonder some tanks are healing so fast.

This completely negates the support wrench
The cool down timer is pretty long for the instant repair measure, and if a team actually focuses on a tank, you can prevent it from manually self repairing by constantly peppering it with damage.

I am curious though to see what happens when more people run Support class equipped with a wrench.

CHC

I know there are some complaints about tank durability / repairing but I actually find it be really well balanced. If no one gets on the job a tank can wreak havoc for minutes on end, but if a couple people spec assault and launch a concerted attack, they have pretty decent odds of wiping it off the map alarmingly fast.

I like when there's a tank on the field - whether it's my own team's or the enemy's. Livens things up without being a guarantee of victory or defeat.

Jb

So how do you guys like to build your Support class? Gimme the whole run down of everything!

Right now I'm using the Benét-Mercié. It does a lot of damage and has a decent range. The bullet velocity seems a bit low though so I often have to lead targets that are more than 20m away.
As accessories I have the ammo pouch and the timed explosive charge to take care of vehicles. The mortar seems fun but I'm not that good at using it effectively.

Surfinn

I know there are some complaints about tank durability / repairing but I actually find it be really well balanced. If no one gets on the job a tank can wreak havoc for minutes on end, but if a couple people spec assault and launch a concerted attack, they have pretty decent odds of wiping it off the map alarmingly fast.

I like when there's a tank on the field - whether it's my own team's or the enemy's. Livens things up without being a guarantee of victory or defeat.

Right and I don't think people realize how quickly tanks go down when a decent squad attacks them. I've been killed in a few seconds from full HP (yes, in a heavy tank). People just never attack.

Part of why the tanks are so slow is to provide a risk/reward for the driver committing to a position on the map. You can't just drive up on a flag and assume you're going to be safe.. sometimes you have to pick and choose where you're going next and hope you cleared enough beforehand.

I'm so fucking sick and tired of people not playing the objective. I just went 63-16 on Amiens (best map btw) going to and from objective doing my best, but there's only so much one person can do. People are actively ruining mine and other people's experience because they're too scared to play the objective for a game mode THEY CHOSE to play.

I feel the same way man. Like when a map has obvious choke points in the heat of the moment and the whole team keeps going there and dying and only to realise at the last minute before we're about to lose.

Mahonay

Banned

Armed with dynamite and a rocket-gun I've gotten pretty decent at taking out tanks on own by just blitzing at them before they have a chance to react. Although of course if it sees me first I'm instantly a dead man.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Debating picking up this game as I like the WWI aesthetic and weapons. However the last BF I played was BF:BC2, and the last one I really truly enjoyed was BF2142 (I'm a weirdo, I know).

How noob friendly is this game? I've been playing a ton of Overwatch but I'm getting burned out on the pressure to perform in a 6v6, and I'm looking forward to some 32v32 or 64v64 matches where I can be a small cog in a large machine. I'm just worried that this game will devolve into me getting sniped constantly given how large the maps are. Is the game easy to pick up (and have fun with) as a relatively new to BF player?

The tanks are easy to deal with if done right, as others have said.

And they should represent a real threat on the battlefield, when you see one you should go "holy shit, run!"

Then your team should make it a priority to take it down quickly by switching classes (yes, even you snipers) to assault or manning field guns.

You lot are going to get them nerfed before long and they'll be just as useless as in 4.

Mahonay

Banned
Debating picking up this game as I like the WWI aesthetic and weapons. However the last BF I played was BF:BC2, and the last one I really truly enjoyed was BF2142 (I'm a weirdo, I know).

How noob friendly is this game? I've been playing a ton of Overwatch but I'm getting burned out on the pressure to perform in a 6v6, and I'm looking forward to some 32v32 or 64v64 matches where I can be a small cog in a large machine. I'm just worried that this game will devolve into me getting sniped constantly given how large the maps are. Is the game easy to pick up (and have fun with) as a relatively new to BF player?
If you have friends to squad up with, yes.

Going in alone, no.

IMO scouts are easy to avoid due to scope shine, but even still I've encountered ones where it seems as if they're desperate to get the shot on me. Only time I really get sniped is up close. I think this game is very casual friendly, so long as you always join a squad that fills up, and PTO, you're good. I've never been in a game where the battles are slow, but then again I've only played conquest, domination and rush so far for modes.

aravuus

Got to play Empire's Edge for the first time just now. We had just taken the flag that's a bit away from the others on the edge of the sea (E, I think) with my only squad mate, and we decided to stay put for a second to defend it. It was foggy as hell and just when I was thinking of leaving, the red-blue indicator popped up under the flag letter, 3 or 4 enemies had arrived. The fog made it so you could barely see 10 meters in front of you, everything was completely silent and all we could do was wait for the enemies to pop up from somewhere. It was goddamn nerve-wracking. Finally after like 30 seconds of just waiting, completely stationary, we saw moving shapes in the fog and started unloading our guns. Managed to kill them all without either of us dying.

What a fucking cool moment. Awesome map too, hope I'll get to play it again soon.

Surfinn

The tanks are easy to deal with if done right, as others have said.

And they should represent a real threat on the battlefield, when you see one you should go "holy shit, run!"

Then your team should make it a priority to take it down quickly by switching classes (yes, even you snipers) to assault or manning field guns.

You lot are going to get them nerfed before long and they'll be just as useless as in 4.

As many problems as there are in 4 (paper thin tanks being one of them), I'm constantly in top 3 in a tank in BF4. You've gotta learn how to use them.. and expect to die more easily than you usually would in a tank. I'm usually 2-3 ratio in 64 player maps just going for flag caps.

That said, BF1 uses tanks way more effectively. They're still pretty weak in all honesty if they're attacked by a squad, but I feel like it's pretty fair so far.

Tovarisc

Kinda ironic that tanks are insane threat in BF1 when during WW1 these things were stopped by concentrated small arms fire every now and then, had insane amount technical issues, were slow as hell and because of short smooth barrels they were extremely inaccurate.

In BF1 they are modern MBT's in every other sense than in-game model.

*Splinter

Kinda ironic that tanks are insane threat in BF1 when during WW1 these things were stopped by concentrated small arms fire every now and then, had insane amount technical issues, were slow as hell and because of short smooth barrels they were extremely inaccurate.

It's about as "ironic" as being able to respawn after death.

nelchaar

This thread has the biggest medic apologist/defenders, so just FYI. I do agree with you, medics that shit revive just for the ponts should screw off.

Mahonay

Banned

It's a video game. No one would use them if they were historically accurate.

kriskrosbbk

I have equipped Mondragon back dogtag for making 100 kills with it but it is blank . People are killing me with same dogtags and I can see clearly how many kills they made with the Mondragon,looking at mine on battlelog it is blank.Is this a bug or clearly I cannot see how many kills I made written on my dogtag?

Top Bottom