• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

The fact that it's WW1 really limits the weapons variety. It's a shame that shotguns are only for the assault class. The worst is that it's not only weapons, it's tanks, armored cars and everything around the game.

I'd love a medic shotgun.

WW1 was a mistake.

What? This game has a huge variety of weapons. The planes are all pretty different imo.

I don't think I'll ever not like playing Conquest. I really don't need any other gametype. Honestly never been a huge fan of Rush, and I'm not really feeling Operations at the moment. Have yet to even touch the other 3 game modes, but I'm not sure if I ever really will.

Conquest all the way, baby!

Rizzi

You know, when I think of World War 1 I absolutely think everybody running around with automatic weapons, and highly mobile impossible to kill tanks.
Yep. Totally what I think of.

XBP

Those model 10 shotties are OP, some got me mid-distance multiple times.

They aren't though. As long as you know whats happening around you and who's flanking you with one of them you can easily counter them. At close range they are powerful but thats what a shotgun is supposed to do.

Raptor

I don't think I'll ever not like playing Conquest. I really don't need any other gametype. Honestly never been a huge fan of Rush, and I'm not really feeling Operations at the moment. Have yet to even touch the other 3 game modes, but I'm not sure if I ever really will.

Conquest all the way, baby!
Agreed

Kibbles

Was there double XP around launch? I ranked up to lvl 10 sniper in one day and it's taking me forever to rank up my support class now

So does switching between Battleifled 1 and 4 (or vice versa) by pressing L1/LB on the main menu work yet? It doesn't for me. Any word when it will?

Mahonay

Banned
Was there double XP around launch? I ranked up to lvl 10 sniper in one day and it's taking me forever to rank up my support class now
Apparently there was a bug in the class specific ranking that made it go much faster than intended. It was fixed and ranks slower now.

Recall

So I've switched to playing assault just mix things up and I'm really digging the M18 trench. The fire rate has worked wonders in my favour.

Also the rocket launcher thing where you must be prone is fantastic. It has a far spotting distance and helps tremendously against infantry trying to retake a flag. I get a little spammy with it to be fair but if it works, it works.

I wish people would stop spawning in my bomber. I get shot down every time because these dudes can't aim, it's way more efficient for me to just jump on the back gun and shoot them down myself.

Meanwhile I can't get anyone to stay in my tank for more than 2 seconds, and when they do stay they seem to be allergic to the shiny new flamethrowers I bought that decimate everything they touch.

Raide

As infantry, Tanks should be scary as hell. Either good team coordination or Tank driver incompetence should let it fall.

I seriously hope they put more time into the Operations mode. So much fun. Would like to see some more varied objectives though.

Love being a Medic but occasionally come back as a Recon so I can pop some domes. Played the large mountain map in Italy and managed to keep the last objective to myself by picking off the enemy before they got close. It's a long old run from there base. Thank god for the sniper lens glint haha.

Those model 10 shotties are OP, some got me mid-distance multiple times.
It can get some Hail Mary head shots sometimes, but sometimes you shoot someone at point blank range and they inexplicably take only 8 damage, so it balances out.

It is laughably better than the other shotguns though, which drives me up a wall because the Winchester 1897 is my favorite shotgun, and a vented heat shield+bayonet is my favorite configuration of it, but it's so inconsistent compared to the model 10 I don't want to use it.

Not sure it already posted but holy sh*t!

giphy.gif

Two things -

Firstly, I'd have taken the first shot and got totally arseholed
Secondly, when all them peeps ran out that dude must have crapped himself hahah

It can get some Hail Mary head shots sometimes, but sometimes you shoot someone at point blank range and they inexplicably take only 8 damage, so it balances out.

It is laughably better than the other shotguns though, which drives me up a wall because the Winchester 1897 is my favorite shotgun, and a vented heat shield+bayonet is my favorite configuration of it, but it's so inconsistent compared to the model 10 I don't want to use it.

I have been getting that with the Hellfighter shotgun variant. They seemed a lot more consistent in the beta. It's way too risky to run around with a shotgun and often times having to pop somebody multiple times.

In regard to battlepacks. It doesn't automatically unlock the gun, right? I got a special variant of the russian sniper, but it doesn't show up yet in-game. Is it locked to a certain class rank?

Bought the game yesterday after seeing the reaction on GAF and man, the prologue level of the SP is just something else. No AA or AAA game has something like that since Spec Ops: The Line when it comes to making you feel like if you are partaking in utterly terrifying and pointless slaughter that isn't actually fun by the nature of how shocking it is and actually humanizing the other side in the process: I was literally crying when the final scene with the faceoff was playing. It really felt like a pivotal moment in the history of gaming when the most emotional and climatic highlight of a super popular mainstream FPS opening
is two guys deciding not to shoot at each other
. If the massive success of the game results in other FPS games adapting to narrating like this (like all the publishers copied Modern Warfare up till now) I will be really, REALLY happy.

I really love how the prologue instantly plays when you boot up the game for the first time without even going to the menu, DICE is really hammering their point home for every single player (even those who only want to play the game for the MP) and they do it extremely well. Was afraid like the story might turn into the usual glorious heroes vs. Nazis shlick after it turned out there wouldn't been a single single player level from the Central Power's side (and I really hope they remedy that with the now pretty much guaranteed sequel), I am so glad I have been proven wrong.

Also the prologue and the first half of "Through Blood & Mud" alone (as far as I have played so far) are by themselves already far, far better than the entirety of the BF4 campaign. Feels good, man.

Also shocked how good the game even looks in the lowest settings while running at 80+ FPS (game booted up on low preset, though I can comfortably play the SP at 50+ FPS with Textures/AF/Meshes at Ultra and everything else medium + FXAA) and how extremely well it runs for me despite looking amazing: a GTX 960m 2GB + a I7 6700HQ clocking at 3.1-3.2 GHZ and 8GB RAM are not exactly the strongest setup and I had really, really low expectations after the experiences I had with BF4 shortely after launch on my old laptop. Sure, I expect the FPS to drop some more in MP, but I can still turn settings like post processing or lightning down for minimal quality loss if I need it.

Am I the only one that enjoys those smaller gametypes like tdm or domination concentrated on primary loadout weapons and close quarters combat?

This Battlefield is I think the best since 2 or 1942. I still don't like some of their practices like early access editions and DLC that splits the community. However, It just clicks with me in its minimalism unlike BF4 with so much lock on, special perks etc. I am level 20 almost now with 88% win ratio. My kills aren't anything special at .7 per minute but that's because I'm usually highly focused on objectives, suppressing, supplying or focusing on hard targets and technicals. These maps are phenomenal. The only gripe I have... Why won't people get into my bombers before it's too late! The bomber is the best, but without gunners it's a sitting duck! I always end up flying the attack plane which is nice too, but oh so much worse.

The game is also a technical marvel. I don't know my framerate but it has to be north of 100fps pretty much always. 1440p on a 144hz monitor, all settings maxed out. Intel 5820k and Nvidia 1070. What's surprising is how taxing this is on the CPU though. It really heats my CPU up.

Acinixys

Im loving the Support class. The BAR is excellent

I just wish they would allow server rentals already

Having to play on EU with 220 ping is not much fun

The only gripe I have... Why won't people get into my bombers before it's too late! The bomber is the best, but without gunners it's a sitting duck! I always end up flying the attack plane which is nice too, but oh so much worse.

I've been stung far too many times getting in the back of a bomber only for it to kamikaze straight to the earth. Sometimes I've managed to jump out and parachute but even then I'm in no mans land and die.

I only do it if I party up with an ace pilot.

Im loving the Support class. The BAR is excellent

I just wish they would allow server rentals already

Having to play on EU with 220 ping is not much fun

I really hope they give us some great options for custom modes. Would be even better if we had some tools, but I know that's asking far too much from EA/Dice. I mean it's too complicated for Modders right! Lol. Hopefully they at least give us a good selection of modifiers and such. I have a feeling even that is a pipe dream though. I kind of expect a few official custom game modes. Maybe some rotating seasonal ones.

God I love the Hellriegel gun for Assault. One of the best guns in the game imo,120 rounds in total and almost no recoil when shooting. Feels so good to just walk into room with unsuspecting enemies and just clearing them all out. I almost hate playing other classes I love the gun so much lol

5taquitos

The companion app and the website are steaming piles of shit right now. Can't even log in with the correct profile and check loadouts. Not that they'd save anyway.

Pretty sure most people aren't even aware of the importance of squad orders. I've been a casual BF player for a number of years and it wasn't until I had a group of friends to play with that I began to appreciate the role Orders have.

I think DICE should consider an introductory tutorial considering how crucial it is to winning games.

I don't play battlefield games but I was pleased to actually do well in my matches last night. I've never really 'got' these games or felt that involved with the objective or anything like that, but it doesn't help that I don't often play in a team either.

I was playing with my fiance though and we were able to benefit from the squad system for the first time and decided that we were just going to 'defend C' on the 4th point on Ballroom Blitz, it's the interior one. I finished the game with 59-10, my best score yet.

I do wonder how to get the upper scores though, as I was still 5,000 shy of the person on top, who had a similar number of kills. I feel like I was doing everything I could to do my part in defending the objective and as C was the only one of the 3 points that was not taken I felt influential in determining our success. It gave us some crazy score at the end like 293/27 (why does it do this and what does it mean?).

It'd be nice to play with some Gaffers sometime. Is there a PS4 community and chat group?

Kaversmed

I don't play battlefield games but I was pleased to actually do well in my matches last night. I've never really 'got' these games or felt that involved with the objective or anything like that, but it doesn't help that I don't often play in a team either.

I was playing with my fiance though and we were able to benefit from the squad system for the first time and decided that we were just going to 'defend C' on the 4th point on Ballroom Blitz, it's the interior one. I finished the game with 59-10, my best score yet.

I do wonder how to get the upper scores though. I feel like I was doing everything I could to do my part in defending the objective and as C was the only one of the 3 points that was not taken I felt influential in determining our success. It gave us some crazy score at the end like 293/27 (why does it do this and what does it mean?).

It'd be nice to play with some Gaffers sometime. Is there a PS4 community and chat group?

I've wondered how this score system works as well, anyone figured it out?

I don't understand the 'attack' or 'defence' score at the end either.

Me and a mate white washed a team last night while we were attacking. Never lost more than 50 tickets on any round. Smashed them.

Attack score 99/45 or something

Should have been like 9000+

Ozorov

The companion app and the website are steaming piles of shit right now. Can't even log in with the correct profile and check loadouts. Not that they'd save anyway.
I thought you would be used to it from Battlefront ;). Trophys not workings, medals not registrating (Hutt contracts) etc

What I love so far is all the weapons feel very viable. Hardly any stinkers, if at all.

I primarily play the medic and depending on the map and situation I'll swap it out for different rifles and variants to suit my needs.

LOVE THIS GAME

What I love so far is all the weapons feel very viable. Hardly any stinkers, if at all.

I primarily play the medic and depending on the map and situation I'll swap it out for different rifles and variants to suit my needs.

LOVE THIS GAME

The feeling of a headshot with them scopeless rifles is unmatched.

Top Bottom