• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Jaw dropping.

Had an interesting conversation last night with my gaming group about realism vs glorification in Battlefield 1. I find it disturbing but I don't think it is glorified. I think they really are trying to go with the war is hell approach. You are supposed to be disturbed, IMO.

The inclusion of the screaming, detailed approach to ragdolls, and other stuff is all meant to make world war 1 seems as bad as it really was. The prologue tries to show that as well.

I wish they would have kept the name thing in Multiplayer. Like every time you die it flashes a name up.

Cronnie

So how exactly do you use the spotting camera that's part of the default Bomber loadout?

Pressing the button on the d-pad (on the PS4) doesn't seem to be doing anything, unlike say the spotting flares on the Assault Plane which drop down when you press it.

enewtabie

How do people stay in tanks all game in Conquest and go over 50 kills?! Teach me

Tanks work for me in longer distance engagements. You want to pick a point that also cuts off the infantry from flanking you and getting behind you. . Keep moving. If you have to go around a building and come back. Learn the arc of your cannon. I went 29-3 the last time I played tank and I usually do fairly well in Armor. Taking a tank directly to a flag and sitting there is death city.

moai

Apologies if this has been discussed to death but I've only just gotten around to playing BF1 on Xbox One. I started out with campaign and after a bit of playing I started having a pretty big issue. The game would occasionally freeze for a second or two for no reason. It was frequent enough to make me quit playing. Tried a hard reset and played a bit. It seemed to fix it, or so I thought. After a bit of playing it started again.

It just freezes every so often, only lasting a second or two, but frequent enough to severely impact playability. I then switched to multiplayer and it happened but only around two times during a whole match of operations.

Googling this is a bit of a pain. Despite specifying Xbox One, most results are for Pc. The generic nature of the name Battlefield 1 also causes issue. It doesn't help that I am not sure what to call the issue. Stuttering? Hitching? Freeze? Micro freeze? After a bit of searching I have found a few mentions, usually with no replies on how to fix it. Some claim it is a memory leak but searching for that usually returns PC info. It would explain the problem only presenting after playing for a while and resetting the console appearing to fix it though.

My question is is this a known issue and is there anything I can do to fix it or is this something Dice has to patch? I was set to reinstall the game until I saw others experiencing the issue. Any info at all is appreciated.

has been happening to me as well but on mutliplayer, freezes from 1-2 seconds. didnt get answers on this thread, maybe its an isolated issue. i posted on the official forums and got some answers from people experiencing it, but no one knows why it happens.

Instant heal is key

I use the heavy armoured tank with flamethrowers. The main attack is ridiculously accurate and can pick off people with ease.

Just drive around, stay with a team so that assault cant reach you.

You have an instant 20+ HP ability by pressing left on dpad, so you can turn the tide on some players quite easily if you find yourself in trouble

Stay in a popular flag spot, you dont need to travel the whole map

Don't get greedy is the best way, always think you can died at any min

Tanks work for me in longer distance engagements. You want to pick a point that also cuts off the infantry from flanking you and getting behind you. . Keep moving. If you have to go around a building and come back. Learn the arc of your cannon. I went 29-3 the last time I played tank and I usually do fairly well in Armor. Taking a tank directly to a flag and sitting there is death city.

Thanks

Tovarisc

This comment nicely highlights all issues on the table thanks to extremely weak ranged AT options. "Just stay back and snipe with tank, they can't do shit to you!" advice is too effective.

Cyborg

The more I play the game, the more I see a lot of flaws. The game is starting to piss me of till the point I will stop playing it.

- Using self repair is so bullshit ( You dont even need to exit the tank, WTF?)
- Before you can take down a tank you need a lot of ammo (that you dont have, only 2)
- Game doesnt stimulate teamplay, Its every man on its own.
- Menus and browsing is so slow and buggy. (scrolling down to player 32 takes forever in a menu)
- Unnecessary animation (like opening a battlepack) Why the fck do we need a (sort of) CGI animation. It takes the speed out of the game and browsing
- Destruction of buildings seems not to be present in the game (it is there I know) but you dont notice it realy.
-

This comment nicely highlights all issues on the table thanks to extremely weak ranged AT options. "Just stay back and snipe with tank, they can't do shit to you!" advice is too effective.

A good Bomber can wreck armoured vehicles.

The more I play the game, the more I see a lot of flaws. The game is starting to piss me of till the point I will stop playing it.

- Before you can take down a tank you need a lot of ammo (that you dont have, only 2)
- Menus and browsing is so slow and buggy. (scrolling down to player 32 takes forever in a menu)
- Unnecessary animation (like opening a battlepack) Why the fck do we need a (sort of) CGI animation. It takes the speed out of the game and browsing
- Destruction of buildings seems not to be present in the game (it is there I know) but you dont notice it realy.
-

I disagree with nearly every point you make. Laggy menus absolutely. Everything else makes me think it's pretty much the best FPS I've played.
Then again I stick to operations and I love it.

Tovarisc

A good Bomber can wreck armoured vehicles.

Good bombers also know to carpet bomb farm from hostile caps directly. They get hundreds of points / run on hostile cap Vs. maybe 100-150 from hitting a tank. Only time I have seen bomber go after tanks has been moments when they aren't lined up with better targets [read: hostile caps with spawn waves].

enewtabie

Yes, exactly. As someone who runs Assault mainly the rocket gun is in effective against armor . The grenades work but only in close range. No many good options against a good tank commander. Air support can even things out, but Bomber pilots against ack ack fire and good fighter pilots are going to have a tough time.

Chabbles

The rubberbanding was really bad earlier for me on PS4. Movement speed ranged from normal speed to slow motion, to coming to a complete stop as if there were an invisible wall right onfront of me. And its effect on the right thumb stick/aiming becomes completely detrimental to any real accuracy. Movement is speeding up and slowing down constantly, the smoothness of the aiming barely ever feels stable.

Dice, limit players from joining servers out side their region, or give us dedicated servers per region along with regular servers.

Good bombers also know to carpet bomb farm from hostile caps directly. They get hundreds of points / run on hostile cap Vs. maybe 100-150 from hitting a tank. Only time I have seen bomber go after tanks has been moments when they aren't lined up with better targets [read: hostile caps with spawn waves].

Exactly :)

Rolling thunder

Tovarisc

Yes, exactly. As someone who runs Assault mainly the rocket gun is in effective against armor . The grenades work but only in close range. No many good options against a good tank commander. Air support can even things out, but Bomber pilots against ack ack fire and good fighter pilots are going to have a tough time.

Rocket Gun can deal good damage, but amount of rounds is too low for going against even sniper light tank. You need 2-3 assaults doing simultaneous fire on same light tank over several rounds to knock it out before it has time to back into cover.

Stationary cannon placements are just shit tier. Low damage / shot, long reload cycles as in longer than any tank with ammo in reserve and don't protect you for shit. AT shell shot to several meters in front of placement will kill you in one hit thanks to splash.

how do you deploy the bipods?
  • Go to prone
  • Crouch next to level surface
  • Stand next to level surface
Bipiod will auto-deploy when near and/or on surface that is at proper height and distance.

nOoblet16

-
Self repair is extremely slow and neither the driver nor the gunners can do anything at all while it's active. Assault class is a tank killer class and you have enough ammo to solo kill a tank and still have one or two left, you'll need rocket gun (you can get 4) and you can also get 2 AT mines/grenades AND you can also get an anti tank main grenade.

You say it doesn't stimulate teamplay, what else can the game do apart from awarding tons of points for squad objectives as well as pretty much making you lose if you don't play together...especially true for operations mode.

Battlepack animation is annoying and I also find it annoying that battlepacks have made it into every game these days but these things plus animations also exist there.

Coffinhal

Lots of people complaining about the bunker in Grappa. It seems like it just requires a full out assault by attackers. I actually like the idea of such a hard defense spot, but if attackers are just walking in 1 by 1, it will be disastrous

Perhaps it will be tweaked, just because of how ridiculous people find it.

I really like the idea of impenetrable defenses, I kind of hope we see some flag caps that are inside places as opposed to out in the open for future maps

Well, no, not "just". It is a grenades nightmare, resupplied an infinite number of time, same for reviving and healing, on both sides thanks to the squad respawn. Therefore it is 80% of the time a status quo that is a disadvantage for the attacking team (even with the airship because people are in it and are useless against a bunker).

The idea is good but it needs some tweaking, like another door to enter the bunker, or a larger access for the actual "doors".

And whether the flag is in or out doesn't matter because it's the number of people around the flag that counts (in Operations at least)

Has BF ever had dismemberment? From what I know about dismemberment systems it likely would be too much of a cost performance wise for 64 player multiplayer.

Yeah of course that's why, but it would be really brutal with it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

-

1. Self repair is massively nerfed from beta. Feels fine now.
2. 1 person should not be able to solo a tank. 2-3 people should be needed to do so.
3. It absolutely does, but you have to play with a group of friends to realize it. The tank scenario proves you need to "work together" to take one down.
4. Menus are bad
5. I don't like the battlepack opening either
6. Some buildings get destroyed to an extent. If you want a balanced map that doesn't kill the network you go with their limited destruction system. BF1 destruction is better than BC2 IMO. So its going in the right direction.

has been happening to me as well but on mutliplayer, freezes from 1-2 seconds. didnt get answers on this thread, maybe its an isolated issue. i posted on the official forums and got some answers from people experiencing it, but no one knows why it happens.

Hmm, so not widespread which I think would rule out a memory leak. I wonder what causes it? I have a standard physical copy of the game installed on an external Touro 1TB drive. Playing on a standard Xbox One. Have you attempted to uninstall and then reinstall the game? That will likely be my next step.

jet1911

I found a way to kill everyone in the B bunker on Monte Grappa on Operation. Just park the airship on top of the bunker and let it get destroyed. I, and everyone in the bunker, died instantly when it came crashing down lol.

Suez is the worst map by far. By far.

Conquest doesn't work there at all. Nobody goes for objectives because it is wide open on the sides and the buildings all have roofs and upstairs areas that are sniper havens.

One team captures B and if they push hard enough fast enough they get A or C and then isolate the other team into their spawn and nothing can happen to get out.

The train does nothing. It cannot capture anything, it can barely kill anybody not in a vehicle. It is useless.

Terrible map. Only good thing about it is that I have never seen a full Conquest game played there lasting longer than 13 minutes. Just horrific.

Got round to finishing the campaign. The boss at the end of the Arabia war story was unexpectedly intense.

Lawrence of Arabia is my all time favourite movie so I really wish that campaign was longer!

Conquest doesn't work there at all. Nobody goes for objectives because it is wide open on the sides and the buildings all have roofs and upstairs areas that are sniper havens.

One team captures B and if they push hard enough fast enough they get A or C and then isolate the other team into their spawn and nothing can happen to get out.

The train does nothing. It cannot capture anything, it can barely kill anybody not in a vehicle. It is useless.

Terrible map. Only good thing about it is that I have never seen a full Conquest game played there lasting longer than 13 minutes. Just horrific.

I've had some intense firefights on that map, but yeah it's the worst map in the game.

I can still have fun on it though because even though I always play objectives, actually winning the match is not important to me. I just enjoy the minute to minute gameplay and some of the combat in amongst those building with both teams so close can be exhilarating.

Coffinhal

I found a way to kill everyone in the B bunker on Monte Grappa on Operation. Just park the airship on top of the bunker and let it get destroyed. I, and everyone in the bunker, died instantly when it came crashing down lol.

But there's only one driver haha

Fixes that DICE could apply (ideas I found browsing on reddit)

-adding thin windows
-wider entrances
-more flamethrower superhero for the attacker
-a hole could be blown on the top of the bunker (third entrance)

and my favorite, simple as hell :

-preventing squad spawning nearby/on an objective (so that people don't spawn IN the bunker)

Tovarisc

Fixes that DICE could apply (ideas I found browsing on reddit)

-adding thin windows
-wider entrances
-more flamethrower superhero for the attacker
-a hole could be blown on the top of the bunker (third entrance)

Or just let doors to be blown off their hinges by AT nades, rocket gun etc. That alone would make huge difference on attacking those cannon placements on Grappa.

Been playing BF since 1942 and more recently with 300 hrs on BF4 on PS4.

I was initially sceptical about the game at reveal as it looked to have a lot of SW Battlefront elements to its design and engine, now months later after 40 hrs on Beta and owning the full game I don't even think of the Star Wars BF link at all, BF1 feels like it's own game and it hits the mark for a satisfying and addictive FPS game.

My major issue as a console player is the frame rate in 64 man CQ, after BF4, in which I found the frame rates to be almost unplayable at times and hoped we would get closer to a constant 60fps on this game but it's not to be and it does hurt the experience at times when the drops are constant or severe.

If you're on console and want to see how smooth and tight the gunplay and controls are intended to be by DICE, go in an empty server by yourself (I recommend St. Quentin Scar) I went in one the other day to test some stuff after playing 64 man CQ and I could literally not believe how smooth and precise the game feels running at 60fps on those maps - it was superb.

I felt like the graphics were sharper and more detailed also than when I'm running around with 63 other players ?

I can only imagine how this looks and feels on PC at 4k and 100+fps ... It would probably compel me to give up life, quit the job, ignore the wife and kids and live out the next 3 years playing it.

Recall

This game is crazy. Sometimes I'm playing as assault but I see the revive icon on downed allies... lol

If you choose the last available Calvary as a deploy point as the same time as someone else you spawn without the horse but with the abilities and weapons.

Brother and I do it often as we both want the horse and end up freaking out the game with our constant spamming of X

The Dude

Support seems a lot slower to level, I leveled medic and assault decently.. But support is slow as hell.. I thought hitting nice groups of enemies with mortars would really bump that exp. There is nothing more satisfying that taking out a little hiding pussy sniper on a roof top with a mortar lol

Nameless

I love a good Battlefield clusterfuck so I don't mind Suez CQ so much. Just call it a wash going in and play for kills or test out weapons. The team that starts out worst gets the Behemoth, sweeps, and wins 95% of the time anyway. Fun interior fights too if you can make it back to the town.

Operations, though? Abysmal, nothing but people peeking over dunes sniping at each other.

The Dude

I love a good Battlefield clusterfuck so I don't mind Suez CQ so much. Just call it a wash going in and play for kills or test out weapons. The team that starts out worst gets the Behemoth, sweeps, and wins 95% of the time anyway. Fun interior fights too if you can make it back to the town.

Operations, though? Abysmal, nothing but people peaking over dunes sniping at each other.

I agree on operations.

moai

Hmm, so not widespread which I think would rule out a memory leak. I wonder what causes it? I have a standard physical copy of the game installed on an external Touro 1TB drive. Playing on a standard Xbox One. Have you attempted to uninstall and then reinstall the game? That will likely be my next step.

no, but i tried moving it to the internal drive. on official forums they recommend reseting de x1 to factory settings.

Operations, though? Abysmal, nothing but people peeking over dunes sniping at each other.

WW1 then?

Joking aside though, I think I have much more tolerance for this from playing Red Orchetra, Napoleonic Wars and Arma so much. Red Orchestra especially, you're scared to even look over cover in that game.

Speaking of which, where the hell are the hardcore servers? They need to half the health, stop it regenerating, turn friendly fire on and disable spotting and 3rd person view in vehicles. I would also like to see friendly icons disabled and turn behemoths off as well.

WillyFive

WW1 then?

Joking aside though, I think I have much more tolerance for this from playing Red Orchetra, Napoleonic Wars and Arma so much. Red Orchestra especially, you're scared to even look over cover in that game.

Speaking of which, where the hell are the hardcore servers? They need to half the health, stop it regenerating, turn friendly fire on and disable spotting and 3rd person view in vehicles. I would also like to see friendly icons disabled and turn behemoths off as well.

I'd like them to turn on spotting before they remove them, pls.

As for hardcore, they should have it play without any HUD for everyone in the server.

SkylineRKR

Played it only once, won 1000-200. Thought it was a useless, uneven map.

Tecnniqe

Banned
WTS Battlepack for Service Star

ZXMaczv.png

Top Bottom