• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

That is for better. If mortars in their current state got popular it would become bigger issue than mortars were pre-nerf in BF3. Airburst mortar is wicked powerful when there is even one concentrating down people.
Powerful use of the mortar would require competent spotting and use of spotting tools like the flare and periscope. It's not a concern.

Tovarisc

Powerful use of the mortar would require competent spotting and use of spotting tools like the flare and periscope. It's not a concern.

One thing games aren't short of is flares in the air and people spamming Q. Also you can read cap statuses which does give you some information for doing educated guesses on enemy force locations.

One thing games aren't short of is flares in the air and people spamming Q. Also you can read cap statuses which does give you some information for doing educated guesses on enemy force locations.
That's true. Whenever I see a point being capped is when I pop a mortar down. Still though, even with educated guesses, it can be hard to nail too much if people don't call out stuff for you. For every dedicated spotter there's at least ten people who could be doing more.

Chumley

Banned
The semi auto rifle with 25 rounds is so much better than the damn Mondragon it's not even funny!!

wtf am I reading

If you aim properly the mondragon beats the semi auto every time, it outdamages it per shot and shoots nearly as fast, only big problem is limited clip size

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's amazing how few people seem to mess with the mortar.

Not sure what platform you're playing on, but on PC, the goddamned mortars are the bane of my existence. Same shitty point-and-click design made for babies since BF3. I was desperately hoping we'd get a mortar a la the one featured in Vietnam (or Far Cry 2, if you're familiar with that game), but alas, it was not to be.

Which variants of guns / scopes have a glint for snipers?
Sniper variations for sure.

I don't think the Marksman variations have a glint (?) correct me if I am wrong.

I feel like they should have one. In my last match, I looked at a scout with an SMLE Marksman right before he killed me. And I didn't see a glint.

Tovarisc

Sniper variations for sure.

I don't think the Marksman variations have a glint (?) correct me if I am wrong.

I feel like they should have one. In my last match, I looked at a scout with an SMLE Marksman right before he killed me. And I didn't see a glint.

Marksman rifles have what is basically WW1 version of ACOG scope, they don't have glint. Benefits of sniper scope without downsides.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This model of suppression has always been flawed. Both sides get suppressed in equal amounts so no one is hitting anyone without being very lucky. Because of this you don't get real incentive to take cover because its not like anybody is hitting anyone. There is no real threat of dying without unsuppressed 3rd party coming along.

Also I think SMG bullet fired from 300m out at general direction of bipod mounted bolt action rifle shouldn't turn bipod into liquid and make sniper unable to return to fire. Yet it's still one of the best ways to get over dicey spots, tap fire few times at sniper in distance.
In BF1's model for suppression, the LMG suppresses almost instantly while the SMG would take a much longer time to achieve the same effect. I couldn't see that as an effective tactic for the player with the SMG since tracers work both ways.

If the effect is as strong as you say it is then I think some of the LMGs are balanced just fine. They're just far more situational than the medic or assault loadouts.

Sanjuro

Leaving the parties locked is kind of a dick move sometimes. I just joined a game and there are 9 squads on my team, all locked.

Leaving the parties locked is kind of a dick move sometimes. I just joined a game and there are 9 squads on my team, all locked.

There is auto lock if you're playing with friends. I don't think most people know this, thus that's why there are so many 2-3 locked squads :lol

Fao Fortress looks and feels like a rejected Bad Company 2 map. It reminds me a lot of Oasis. I probably wouldn't mind it if it actually felt like it was large enough for 64-players.

Tovarisc

Fao Fortress looks and feels like a rejected Bad Company 2 map. It reminds me a lot of Oasis. I probably wouldn't mind it if it actually felt like it was large enough for 64-players.

Well it's good then that 32 players camp in fortress so other 32 players get other side of the map.

StewboaT_

wtf am I reading

If you aim properly the mondragon beats the semi auto every time, it outdamages it per shot and shoots nearly as fast, only big problem is limited clip size

I'm talking about the M1916 specifically and yes it's better due to it's much larger clip :)

Yup. It's amazing that so many people know how to lock a squad, yet they don't understand how an objective works. I love this game so much, but the fact that most people just sit back and let the enemy take or keep an objective is driving me legit insane.

Makes it even worse when you see 6 squads of 2 people, but they are locked. What the hell is even the point? People are so selfish.

RoKKeR

Yup. It's amazing that so many people know how to lock a squad, yet they don't understand how an objective works. I love this game so much, but the fact that most people just sit back and let the enemy take or keep an objective is driving me legit insane.

Makes it even worse when you see 6 squads of 2 people, but they are locked. What the hell is even the point? People are so selfish.

Squads are automatically locked if you join with a friend. (on consoles, at least)

I hope they quickly fix the bug where after getting revived your weapon is frozen until you switch to pistol and back again. Not sure if this is just PC, but I have been killed quite a few times because of it.

CHC

This game is just so damn good.

I have to admit I BARELY purchased it after playing the 10 hour trial (was very ambivalent) but I'm glad I did. The more I play and learn the better it gets - I'm going to be into this for a while. There's so much about it that I like and I'm glad that the somewhat risky decision to set it in WWI paid off, I'm sick of vaguely realized future stuff and / or the usual modern arsenal of weapons.

Orcus

I'll starting to feel like the medic train is becoming an issue again in maps that aren't close quarters. I need to get some more weeks of play in to really cement my opinion, but a competent 5 person medic squad, or 4 person and support, is just too hard to counter without armor.

Grisby

It is really crazy how this game looks, runs, and makes you feel like you're a tiny peon in this great world war.

I know it's Battlefield, but the setting is heightening everything. Freaking crazy. Crawling in the mud because explosions are going off around you and having it accumulate on your weapon, just damn.

And it can't be stated how much Dice are the masters of gun audio. Hearing the trickle of spent rounds or the echo of a rifle round among the mountains is beautiful.

Also, wiping out squads with my trusty steed Seabiscuit is one of my favorite things to do this gen.

Ryuuga

Banned
Just stopping in to say it's utterly ridiculous how long these games take to install on consoles. Not certain about the install process on XB1 but Sterling said it best when he said consoles are becoming inconvenient PCs.

Ardenyal

Just stopping in to say it's utterly ridiculous how long these games take to install on consoles. Not certain about the install process on XB1 but Sterling said it best when he said consoles are becoming inconvenient PCs.

Play Now on PS4 is a good feature to combat this though.

The initial install was 10Gb and you could play first mission of each war story with more opening as they are installed.

Ugh. Why the hell is Suez a map in this game?!?! I thought that since this was gonna be a WWI Battlefield I thought there was no way they were gonna be able to make a map like Metro and Locker.... Worst map in the game

Heroman

Banned
Ugh. Why the hell is Suez a map in this game?!?! I thought that since this was gonna be a WWI Battlefield I thought there was no way they were gonna be able to make a map like Metro and Locker.... Worst map in the game
Why did you get the impression that wouldn't be a cqc map do it being ww1?

Id like to see some more variations of Elites.

Maybe one with a grenade launcher of some kind (poison gas, fragmentation, etc), a shotgun, or even something like a shield that can withstand grenades and help make a strong push. This would be really appreciated on Operations.

I really love the Elites. Makes holding certain flags very worth it, though just about anyone can go pick them up

WillyFive

This game is so unbalanced against pilots. Not only do they get very little spawns, the AA guns are way overpowered and most configurations of the planes are really weak and in need of severe buffs. They also have almst no unlocks with very weak ground weapons, and without being able to capture most points, they can spend a lot of time in the air dogfighting and bombing and still stay near the bottom of the scoreboard.

Really? From the day I heard of WW1 Battlefield, Locker and Metro were the first things I thought of; trench warfare was all about chokepoints. I'm glad DICE spent the effort of avoiding stuff like that in most of the maps. However, the Metro/Locker equivalent in BF1 is the forest map; Suez is simply just a lame, tiny map.

However, the Metro/Locker equivalent in BF1 is the forest map; Suez is simply just a lame, tiny map.

Totally agree. I think Argonne Forest is the new Metro/Locker too, and I liked a lot. For me the Suez map is the least appealing of the nine, but I still found some fun playing on it.

This game is so unbalanced against pilots. Not only do they get very little spawns, the AA guns are way overpowered and most configurations of the planes are really weak and in need of severe buffs. They also have almst no unlocks with very weak ground weapons, and without being able to capture most points, they can spend a lot of time in the air dogfighting and bombing and still stay near the bottom of the scoreboard.

Really? From the day I heard of WW1 Battlefield, Locker and Metro were the first things I thought of; trench warfare was all about chokepoints. I'm glad DICE spent the effort of avoiding stuff like that in most of the maps. However, the Metro/Locker equivalent in BF1 is the forest map; Suez is simply just a lame, tiny map.

True. I think that's my biggest issue with it is the map size. The points are way too close to each other and all the times I've played on it I'm either on the team doing the stomping or the one getting stomped on. Seems once a team gets all three points it's difficult for the other to come back from that, even with the train.

It is really crazy how this game looks, runs, and makes you feel like you're a tiny peon in this great world war.

I know it's Battlefield, but the setting is heightening everything. Freaking crazy. Crawling in the mud because explosions are going off around you and having it accumulate on your weapon, just damn.

And it can't be stated how much Dice are the masters of gun audio. Hearing the trickle of spent rounds or the echo of a rifle round among the mountains is beautiful.

Also, wiping out squads with my trusty steed Seabiscuit is one of my favorite things to do this gen.

Yup. Their audio engineers are the best. Every gun sounds deadly and intimidating as they should.

I finally got the 20 kill challenge! I can give team death match a break for a while.

It seems to only count actual kills not "assist counts as kill" points.

Feels good, man. I got a lot better at spotting enemies too.

aravuus

There's some real good information in here but the dude's writing style and schtick got grating pretty fast.

Lol yeah. By the time I got to the tanks section I was rolling my eyes so hard I couldn't keep going.

Unfunny grating shit, but I'll read through it later in case I'll learn something new.

Syncytia

Squads are automatically locked if you join with a friend. (on consoles, at least)

I hope they get rid of that. I usually only play with one or two other friends and I always make sure the squad is unlocked because I want other people to join ours to make a full squad. Or too often, there's a locked squad of two and we can't join to fill it up.

tr1p1ex

Not sure why the hate for Suez. I guess if you don't like close quarters fighting then it isn't for you. But it's fun for that imo.

Top Bottom