• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

After putting in 100 hours into this game, I believe there may be too many one-shot kill mechanics in BF1. I put together a quick list, but I'm sure I missed something:

1) Sniper-shot to head
2) Shotgun blast-various ranges
3) Frag/Stick/AT/Tripwire/Rifle Grenade
4) Dynamite/Limpet
5) AT Rocket
6) Mortar fire (if it lands directly on top of you)
7) Tank cannon fire
8) Artillery truck fire
9) Fortress gun
10) Field gun fire
11) Plane bombs
12) Behemoth fire
13) Dreadnought fire
14) Train fire
15) Horse sword hit
16) Bayonet charge
17) Melee hit
18) Road kills

In addition, in a game mode like Operations, one can encounter most of these in a single match, sometimes simultaneously. Example: I've been defending a flag in an operations match with a behemoth overhead, dodging snipers, mortar fire, tanks, grenades, etc.

It's becoming a bit frustrating as more players discover these weapons and their use rises. No one likes to spawn, walk a few meters, and get killed instantly. I think the damage on some of these can be reduced to give the player attacked a chance to fight back instead of just being insta-killed.

If I throw a stick of dynamite at someone or drive over them in a tank the game is wrong if they do not die. all of these thing should kill people in a hit if direct or two if indirect.

moai

Wich is fine. But there is no need for two of them and instant restock.
The idea of the nade is fine. But atm is more annoying and constant spam. Like the mini nade at BF4 launch. They need some work because its not really helping gameplay now.

Dont know what T is.

there was no counter for the mini grenade on bf4.

Fury451

Banned
Well in actual ww1 battle field, There would constant shelling, Lmg wouldn't be shit, no one would have SMG OR DMRS, there would be no calvrey ,no dude with amour carrying lmg, tank wouldn't be on most of the maps, etc. Using the" it happen in ww1 I"s a flawed argument cause bf1 is a poor at depicting ww1

Oh, I completely agree with you and I don't mean to pull that card so to speak, but for gameplay purposes I think the gas is a great tool. I guess it could've been worse is what I'm saying, they could've made it something mortars can fire.

All in all outside of point control and corridors it's not the most useful thing.

Tovarisc

Throw in bunker, guard door with LMG.

With gas, they throw a mask on and stay in place.

Because AoE is small with incendiary grenade and how spacey bunkers are in BF1 you can side step out of AoE without exiting safety of campy hole. You need carpet bomb those with incendiary in order to force people out. People who don't know how incendiary grenades work panic and run around taking extra damage, while exposing themselves for further attack.

Theorry

there was no counter for the mini grenade on bf4.

Its about the spam and giving people two right away with instant restock.
Its gives people reason to just only throw constant nades instead of using their gun like the mini nades in BF4. See no reason why they would give you two instant of a normal one.
Nades shouldnt be constant spammed.

JJShadow

I don't think gas grenades need a nerf, they are pretty balanced as they're right now just because you have in your inventory a direct counter. Still haven't get killed by any of them

I find fire grenades far more dangerous. I love using them on Rush attack, always save them for those 5-10 seconds before the bomb explodes. It's hilarious to see all those enemies running like headless chickens to deactivate the bomb just to find themselves on fire the moment they get close to the telegraph. Got several multiple kills this way

Heroman

Banned
Throw in bunker, guard door with LMG.

With gas, they throw a mask on and stay in place.

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

Seeing the main menu interface makes me want to get BF4 so I can just hop between games. How is BF4 population now? I use to have it but when I decided to go all digital I got rid of my physical games.

Also I'm trying my best to become godly with the SMLE infantry

breadtruck

After putting in 100 hours into this game, I believe there may be too many one-shot kill mechanics in BF1. I put together a quick list, but I'm sure I missed something:

1) Sniper-shot to head
4) Dynamite/Limpet
5) AT Rocket
7) Tank cannon fire
8) Artillery truck fire
9) Fortress gun
10) Field gun fire
11) Plane bombs
12) Behemoth fire
13) Dreadnought fire
14) Train fire
15) Horse sword hit
16) Bayonet charge
17) Melee hit
18) Road kills

In addition, in a game mode like Operations, one can encounter most of these in a single match, sometimes simultaneously. Example: I've been defending a flag in an operations match with a behemoth overhead, dodging snipers, mortar fire, tanks, grenades, etc.

It's becoming a bit frustrating as more players discover these weapons and their use rises. No one likes to spawn, walk a few meters, and get killed instantly. I think the damage on some of these can be reduced to give the player attacked a chance to fight back instead of just being insta-killed.

Melee hits seem to be only 1 hit kill if you are charging. Otherwise I almost always gotta take a second whack at someone I am chopping up.

Otherwise, everything else listed here should be a one-hit kill. I almost wonder if this post is supposed to be a joke post...

jaaz

All of these should be one hit kills.

Mounted machine guns should also have the damage increased as they are weak as hell for a massive mounted machine gun.

Edit: Or nerf all of these to hell so it feels like playing Halo and give us hardcore mode with much more realistic damage please. Best of both worlds.

Melee hits seem to be only 1 hit kill if you are charging. Otherwise I almost always gotta take a second whack at someone I am chopping up.

Otherwise, everything else listed here should be a one-hit kill. I almost wonder if this post is supposed to be a joke post...

You appeared to have missed my point. The difference with this Battlefield is that most (almost all) of these one-shot kills events are present on the battlefield at the same time.

BPK

Aside from the framerate issues on ps4 playing conquest, the game is great.

That said, there's one thing that drives me crazy: when I die I have to remember to press x just to go to the respawn screen. I could be wrong, but this is new. I can't tell you how many times I thought this would be automatic and so I fail to press x. I think the respawn screen (the zoomed out map) should appear automatically after one dies.

Raide

Aside from the framerate issues on ps4 playing conquest, the game is great.

That said, there's one thing that drives me crazy: when I die I have to remember to press x just to go to the respawn screen. I could be wrong, but this is new. I can't tell you how many times I thought this would be automatic and so I fail to press x. I think the respawn screen (the zoomed out map) should appear automatically after one dies.

It tends to wait so a Medic can do their job. Well, if they do their job of course.

The Beard

Gas is perfect, but I guess they could slow down the time it takes to restock them from a crate.

If anything needs a nerf it's those goddamn LMG's. They're way too accurate at long range and player movement needs to be slowed when carrying one. People sprinting around with these 50lb machine guns is just dumb.

Tovarisc

Gas is perfect, but I guess they could slow down the time it takes to restock them from a crate.

If anything needs a nerf it's those goddamn LMG's. They're way too accurate at long range and player movement needs to be slowed when carrying one. People sprinting around with these 50lb machine guns is just dumb.

I... What?

Operation is way too long sometimes for me but I love it. I have only been playing the 64 version. I might give the 40 player version a chance

Man, Support is so much fun once you've got that Telescopic BAR. Love it.

Also, in the Beta didn't Support have access to Tripwire bombs and antivehicle mines or am I completely remembering things?

What exactly is the problem with gas grenades that people are running into? The only case where I have a problem with them are when I play as a medic using some kind of carbine.

Otherwise, as an assault with a shottie or a support with an LMG, you don't need ADS, so those guns work fine in gas clouds.

OmegaX0

The biggest problem I have with gas is how hard it is to see if it's still hanging around, too often does everything look clear but you still take damage when you remove the gas mask. Also how at low health you'll die before you even notice the gas damage. Gas is basically just one big annoyance.

ThisOne

Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but has anyone else noticed that you can't shoot your gun for a brief period after throwing a gas grenade? Like you hold the trigger down and it does nothing for a second or two. Doesn't seem to happen with any of the other grenades.

PS4, by the way.

meanspartan

Gas is fine, and I'm getting a lot less kills with it than before now that people know to put on the gas mask. Early on lots of people didn't realize there was a counter I rthink lol.

What it is good for is dissuading enemies from taking a particular path, because at minimum they have to put on the mask which doesn't let them aim properly. It also does a bit of damage of course before they put on the mask, softening them up for attack. It is entirely strategic now and not really about getting many kills. It should not be nerfed. If they want to give you one grenade instead of 2 as default, I guess that isn't terrible though.

So, on the topic of single player, am I the only one who would prefer a series of bot matches connected with a loose story, as opposed to the super scripted campaign in this game?

The stories were a little bit better written than the other Battlefield campaigns I've played (my experience with the series is 4 and Hardline), but it still felt so scripted and linear and so completely unattached to the multiplayer experience.

I admit to being a bit biased as I'm not a big fan of scripted, cinematic FPS campaigns in the first place, but I honestly feel like these linear campaigns detract from the point of the series, which I've always seen as focusing on large scale battles with a focus on teamwork and strategy over individual heroics.

Still loving the game altogether though.

Last night we were playing Conquest on Empire's Edge and I was atop the scoreboard, with something like 13k points and like 15 kills or something. The second place person on my team had 1 kill and 2 deaths, yet by the time the game ended, he had more points than I did. Still with only 1 kill and 2 deaths. He was in a squad by himself. Friend that was in my group decided to investigate; there was a boat that this guy would kill, get what ever amount of points, then in a few seconds the boat would spawn again. He just sat there killing this boat over and over again apparently.

Last night we were playing Conquest on Empire's Edge and I was atop the scoreboard, with something like 13k points and like 15 kills or something. The second place person on my team had 1 kill and 2 deaths, yet by the time the game ended, he had more points than I did. Still with only 1 kill and 2 deaths. He was in a squad by himself. Friend that was in my group decided to investigate; there was a boat that this guy would kill, get what ever amount of points, then in a few seconds the boat would spawn again. He just sat there killing this boat over and over again apparently.
Why the fuck do people care so much about leveling? What a complete waste of time. I'll never understand it.

jet1911

destroying empty vehicules give points?

Everything should just be unlocked from the start. Couldn't care about unlocking anything, but a lot do sadly.
Same people who spend money to unlock stuff instantly, I guess.

From my point of view I'm already unlocking stuff faster than I can use it. It takes time to experiment with a gun and really get a feel for whether or not you can be effective with it. That journey is part of the fun. Or so I thought, anyway...

What exactly is the problem with gas grenades that people are running into? The only case where I have a problem with them are when I play as a medic using some kind of carbine.

Otherwise, as an assault with a shottie or a support with an LMG, you don't need ADS, so those guns work fine in gas clouds.
I just find the constant gas grenade spam annoying because it means I'm taking the mask on and off constantly. A lot of it is friendly grenades too, where there's no damage, just annoyance. It doesn't mean DICE have to change anything, although only one grenade per player would be nice.

I almost wish they made gas grenades damage friendly units as well, with negative points given for damaging teammates. That might cut down the spam. Unfortunately they'd just be used to troll friendly snipers then :(

Izayoi

Banned
Everything should just be unlocked from the start. Couldn't care about unlocking anything, but a lot do sadly.
To be fair, it's super fucking easy to unlock everything that you could want almost right away.

I'm level 35 or something and I have everything I want already, including with vehicles, etc.

Far, far less offensive than BF4, IMO.

LightInfa

destroying empty vehicules give points?

Yes- you can see the logic in that they want to reward the player even if the pilot manages to bail before the vehicle is destroyed - forcing the bail is worth something, but I guess this is the flipside. I love it when I'm in an AA truck because I rarely get full on kills from planes because pilots are very quick to bail, but the game gives me credit for keeping the skies clear.

Surfinn

1) Sniper-shot to head
4) Dynamite/Limpet
5) AT Rocket
7) Tank cannon fire
8) Artillery truck fire
9) Fortress gun
10) Field gun fire
11) Plane bombs
12) Behemoth fire
13) Dreadnought fire
14) Train fire
15) Horse sword hit
16) Bayonet charge
17) Melee hit
18) Road kills

I've got a few thousand hours in BF games. You could make this silly list for any of the games. Those should all be one hit kills.. you just have to learn how to avoid them.

Total nonissue here.

vixlar

Yes- you can see the logic in that they want to reward the player even if the pilot manages to bail before the vehicle is destroyed - forcing the bail is worth something, but I guess this is the flipside. I love it when I'm in an AA truck because I rarely get full on kills from planes because pilots are very quick to bail, but the game gives me credit for keeping the skies clear.

But in previous Battlefields you couldn't exploit that. The vehicle had to be ocuppied by a rival before. It did'nt give you points if you destroyed and empty new vehicle.

To be fair, it's super fucking easy to unlock everything that you could want almost right away.

I'm level 35 or something and I have everything I want already, including with vehicles, etc.

Far, far less offensive than BF4, IMO.

Yeah, easier than BF4 and a lot easier than BF2, but still. I would prefer everything available from the start.

Surfinn

Man, just like I was saying.. once people figure out how to kill tanks, they'll be WAY less powerful. Had 2 or 3 games yesterday where my tank was killed in 2-3 seconds tops for a couple tanks in a row. You've gotta be so much more cautious now that people are finally playing as a team to combat them.

Tovarisc

Man, just like I was saying.. once people figure out how to kill tanks, they'll be WAY less powerful. Had 2 or 3 games yesterday where my tank was killed in 2-3 seconds tops for a couple tanks in a row. You've gotta be so much more cautious now that people are finally playing as a team to combat them.

Not playing sniper tank? If not then you are doing it wrong to begin with.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Enter random quick match Domination alone
Argonne Forest
Whew this'll be fun
Get 4 kills almost instantly
Elite heavy MG spawn
Pick it up
Get 5 kills more
Low HP
Random medics decides to stay up my ass spamming his medpacks at me
End the game with 34-0

Thanks based Medic Support.

Tovarisc

Enter random quick match Domination alone
Argonne Forest
Whew this'll be fun
Get 4 kills almost instantly
Elite heavy MG spawn
Pick it up
Get 5 kills more
Low HP
Random medics decides to stay up my ass spamming his medpacks at me
End the game with 34-0

Thanks based Medic Support.

Flamer of HMG hero + pocket medic is new infantry meta, straight from Team Fortress 2.

It's just weird that medics don't have a bigger variety of auto fire weapons, when they're pretty much in the shit constantly in closer quarters trying to heal and revive their team.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Flamer of HMG hero + pocket medic is new infantry meta, straight from Team Fortress 2.

Best one is the dual SMG one for sure. Flamer and HMG is pretty much the same except HMG is beast at distance after a bit of shooting as it becomes more accurate.

Absolute beast combo with the enemy team raging super hard.

Top Bottom