• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

For the people interested (if it wasn't mentioned before), the soundtrack is available on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/battlefield-1/id1168803447

Already bought, listening to it now!

7121397.jpg

It's just weird that medics don't have a bigger variety of auto fire weapons, when they're pretty much in the shit constantly in closer quarters trying to heal and revive their team. I wish there was a neutral weapons tier like in BF4 where every class could use the carbine rifles..

I hope they dont do this. Hate all class weapons. Totally kills the class distinctions

But youre kind of right that maybe medic and assault guns should have been switched.

Though I prefer seeing more medics just because Id rather have more medics than less. Like in BC2 where people played medic for the LMGs as much as the ability.

so are the servers down for anyone 8n Ireland (or UK).

My friend reckons they've been down most of the week(including now) but I haven't seen anything since the Ddos attack

jaaz

Never said you can't criticize it (I've been criticizing the game as well in this same thread), and nowhere did I say "git gud" as I loathe that sort of talk. It's about learning positioning and when to attack/hide. I've had absolutely no problem with getting one shot in this game aside from the occasional snipe or shotgun from point blank. But I was able to counter and avoid this from happening by changing the way I was playing (ie not going through the same doorway, spawning in the same area I got sniped in quickly after dying).

That said, as in any BF game, if your team is getting dominated you're just going to end up taking a lot more deaths because that's the nature of the game. I've been in games where there's just nowhere to go because our team failed the objectives very early on.

I really don't feel like there are more one shot mechanics than in BF3/4. I actually feel like there's much more of a fair playing field not having to worry about autolock bullshit and gimmicky gadgets that everyone spams.

Although I will agree that superweapons like the blimp and train are pretty OP and do ruin the game from time to time.

I don't mind getting one-shot either--when it's something fair that I can avoid and it's my stupid fault. Although I will say the Model 10 Hunter shotgun has a huge range, and one-shots well beyond point blank range. The superweapons like the blimp and train are of course new to BF1 and these are the types of mechanics that I'm talking about. I like them and don't want to see them gone, but when you add them to all of the other one-shot kill mechanics, it just feels excessive to me.

The Train and Dreadnought are very easy to avoid. The Zepelin can be a pain in the ass if you're out in the open, but it's also pretty easy to avoid. I don't think I've ever been killed by a mortar and I've played 40+ hours. I just don't see people using them. These things are nowhere near as common/dangerous as you're making them out to be. The hardest thing to avoid on your list is a close range shotgun blast, but those aren't an issue either.

Do you play Operations? Because in a map like St. Quentin Scar, it's very hard to avoid the blimp if you are playing the objectives (which is the whole point of the game mode) because most of them are out in the open. And how about Argonne forest, do you play that map a lot? Because that is mortar city and I've seen 3-4 support camped and using their mortals all over C, while the train is sitting on the tracks blasting away at you. And finally, the Model 10 Hunter kills well beyond just close-range. I think the range on it needs a nerf.

Man, I dunno. I've been playing since 1942 like everyone else, but I just die so often in B1 to random shit. The superweapons/blimp/whatever is just a stupid, stupid mechanic that is more frustrating than anything. Mortars can also be annoying because there's not much I can do about them. I'm walking and then I'm dead. You're right, there are ways to minimize the impact of these mechanics - avoid going into the mortar kill zones, pray to baby jesus that your team helps you take out the blimp, etc. But it's just frustrating at times, moreso than in any other BF game for me.

And yes, I understand that, in a way, all this game is doing is mimicking how easy it is to die in a real war. Understood, but still frustrating in a game. But it's still early. We'll see how everyone adapts over the next 12 months.

You said it more eloquently than me. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I also seem to get one-shot a lot by the game mechanics that are difficult to avoid (blimp, train, mortars) than in other BF games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Do you only level your class when you perform class-specific actions? For example, would I help level up my Support class if I got 20 kills with a LMG? Or capturing a zone? Or does it only level when I give out ammo/use the mortar/etc.

I have no clue. I'm like level 20 and only rank 0-1 in the classes. It's fucking bizarre. I can heal/revive/resupply/spot/take out tanks and I'm not leveling. WTF?

Well I guess by buying Battlefield I got sent a code for a free month of EA Access. Does anybody want it? I dunno where else I could give this away.

nelchaar

AT mine is the GOAT.

Also, the game keeps switching me to the knife when I'm in close proximity to an enemy. Any way to turn that off? Keeps getting me killed.

The Beard

I feel for people who bought this game only for the SP lol.
Its just as bad as BF3 and BF4 or maybe even more bad. Who thought it was a good idea to put in so many sneak missions? I am playing Battlefield not Splinter Cell. He i would mind it less if it was abit good. But its so bad on Hard lol. You get spotted instant. I just shoot my way through now. Flying is so crap also. The enemies just fly against you all the time. Instant death.

He the SP looks good... We have atleast that.

They deserve it. I haven't seen/heard one person recommend buying any Battlefield game just for the single player. Tons of people advised against doing that, including me.

If you must play the SP and have no interest in MP, then rent it from Redbox. Or wait for the price to drop to $20.

Let be honest with ourselves, behemoth are fucking stupid and mostly pointless

I'd like to see them removed from normal Conquest. I think I've seen them lead to one comeback in the 40 hours I've played so far. 99% of the time it just extends a lopsided match, and the dominate team still wins anyways.

BPK

It tends to wait so a Medic can do their job. Well, if they do their job of course.

I agree completely that this is the rationale. The problem is that, after the time given to a Medic to revive runs out, the map-respawn screen doesn't appear automatically. The player has to remember to push x.

The Beard

I agree completely that this is the rationale. The problem is that, after the time given to a Medic to revive runs out, the map-respawn screen doesn't appear automatically. The player has to remember to push x.

You don't have to press X. It will eventually bring you to the respawn screen. The medic timer isn't accurate. After the bar fills up, a medic can still revive you for like 20 seconds after the timer runs out.

Surfinn

Man, I dunno. I've been playing since 1942 like everyone else, but I just die so often in B1 to random shit. The superweapons/blimp/whatever is just a stupid, stupid mechanic that is more frustrating than anything. Mortars can also be annoying because there's not much I can do about them. I'm walking and then I'm dead. You're right, there are ways to minimize the impact of these mechanics - avoid going into the mortar kill zones, pray to baby jesus that your team helps you take out the blimp, etc. But it's just frustrating at times, moreso than in any other BF game for me.

And yes, I understand that, in a way, all this game is doing is mimicking how easy it is to die in a real war. Understood, but still frustrating in a game. But it's still early. We'll see how everyone adapts over the next 12 months.

I don't mind getting one-shot either--when it's something fair that I can avoid and it's my stupid fault. Although I will say the Model 10 Hunter shotgun has a huge range, and one-shots well beyond point blank range. The superweapons like the blimp and train are of course new to BF1 and these are the types of mechanics that I'm talking about. I like them and don't want to see them gone, but when you add them to all of the other one-shot kill mechanics, it just feels excessive to me.

You said it more eloquently than me. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I also seem to get one-shot a lot by the game mechanics that are difficult to avoid (blimp, train, mortars) than in other BF games.

I totally understand this perspective, and I do get where you guys are coming from. I would like to change what I said a LITTLE bit from what I posted earlier.. I feel like it's definitely a level playing field.. until the super weapons come into play. They're often so powerful that it almost feels like you should just purposefully get behind early so you can spawn the damn things. I've seen far too many games that have been totally turned around and the team who sucked ass for 75% of the match ends up winning narrowly or even by a decent margin.. just because the damn train or blimp spawned and they did a decent job with it.

In regard to being one shot, yeah, this definitely happens when a super weapon shows up and it does get a little annoying from time to time. However I can't say (coming from BF3/4) that being one shot is actually worse than in previous titles. But then again I spent most of my time tanking. Man, you wanna talk about getting one/two shot, anything fucking kills you in a tank in BF4. Lock ons, boom. plane bombers, boom. C4, boom. Tow missle, boom. ONE FUCKING MINE, boom. Even in spite of all this, I often maintained a 3/1 ratio on open map 64 player games (capping flags). You have to try your goddamn best to learn the mechanics of the game though.

I dunno, maybe I just got used to the paper thin mechanics in tanks so it feels a bot more padded this time around.

On foot, I feel like if your team doesn't suck and you play smart/stick together, one hit kills aren't really much of a factor. But super weapons definitely increase your chances when they show up (of dying quickly).

Archpath1

They should do it in reverse

First team to cap do like x amount of flag caps
Gets a behemoth
Maintains a focus on flags

And as a benefit you get to destroy the other team >:)

Surfinn

GUYYYSSSS

Can you bind 2 keys to 1??

Because if so, Im going to bind spotting to Aim/Fire, which will free up my R1 for melee.

You can. Didn't think about this, good idea. Though I'm gunna stick to keeping Q my spot button too in case I wanna spot before giving away my position.

Nameless

Honestly I don't mind Behemoths or tanks in their current form. Vehicles should be powerful and change the dynamic the instant they show up. I do think Pistols, Scout rifles, and the incredibly generous auto aim mechanic all need to be brought down a bit.

And as a LMG user at the very least the wind-up time needs to be decreased. Even if I see & react to someone first a lot of times I'm halfway dead by the time my bullets make contact.

You can. Didn't think about this, good idea. Though I'm gunna stick to keeping Q my spot button too in case I wanna spot before giving away my position.

Wait, shit. But if you cant separate spotting from commo rose, you'll end up bring up the commo rose all the time lol.

Nevermind :(

Excellent news. Can't come soon enough.

Too bad barely anyone plays it :(

I wish theyd push for classic.

kiguel182

Walking in a darken alley with a gas mask and gas clouding your vision when a guy jumps you and you shoot him down with an adrenaline rush.

Man, this game is good. There are some amazing moments.

Also, on Operations when you are being beat down and dying a lot it's like the game gives you a tiny glimpse of what World War 1 was.

DSN2K

my trial kicked me right at the end of a game :( question do we really have to wait till march for more maps ? that seems extremely long..I'd be tempted to get ultimate edition if the DLC was earlier.

my trial kicked me right at the end of a game :( question do we really have to wait till march for more maps ? that seems extremely long..I'd be tempted to get ultimate edition if the DLC was earlier.

Free map in December.

Hoping they have some big patch drops too (Id like to see stuff like Ribbons added back).

There is a free map coming in december. And yes I am disappointed in the long stretch out dlc. Hopefully there will be more free maps in between...

Ferrio

Banned
What's considered the best set of maps (campaign?). I'm going to hop into multi for the first time since demo tonight and I wanna make sure I don't pick the stinkers.

I now understand why so many people say Suez is their least-favorite BF1 map. I've enjoyed almost all of the maps so far, but Suez is a complete clusterfuck. Why DICE felt the need to include such an uninspired, linear map in a game with an otherwise solid lineup is just beyond me. Even Fao Fortress, which is also widely disliked, is considerably better. At least it has a unique design with the outlying fortress that almost feels like a map unto itself. Suez, however, is just shit. Grade A shit.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I now understand why so many people say Suez is their least-favorite BF1 map. I've enjoyed almost all of the maps so far, but Suez is a complete clusterfuck. Why DICE felt the need to include such an uninspired, linear map in a game with an otherwise solid lineup is just beyond me.

Gotta appeal to that Operation Metro/Locker 64p shitshow crowd, doncha know?

Think Monte Grappa is a great looking map. But the flags are no fun to fight on imo. Wich is a shame.

I actually like the flag placement on that map; they're relatively close to each other meaning I can capture one and then take off to the next, not having to run 150+ meters. On 64 player servers it gets very hectic though.

Top Bottom