• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Do you only level your class when you perform class-specific actions? For example, would I help level up my Support class if I got 20 kills with a LMG? Or capturing a zone? Or does it only level when I give out ammo/use the mortar/etc.

julrik

Console players: any recommendations for stick sensitivity and ADS sensitivity? Oh, and should Uniform Soldier Aiming be on or off?

Theorry

Do you only level your class when you perform class-specific actions? For example, would I help level up my Support class if I got 20 kills with a LMG? Or capturing a zone? Or does it only level when I give out ammo/use the mortar/etc.

Just play and do regular BF stuff.

jg4xchamp

Enjoying the game a lot. Would prefer an anti-tank rocket for the assault that didn't require me to go prone. I'm pretty rubbish compared to PC cats in gun on gun fights as it is. So being forced to find a solid spot where I can snipe a tank can be a bit much to me.

Especially on the more open maps. At least the maps in the city I can wimp out in an alley.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Enjoying the game a lot. Would prefer an anti-tank rocket for the assault that didn't require me to go prone. I'm pretty rubbish compared to PC cats in gun on gun fights as it is. So being forced to find a solid spot where I can snipe a tank can be a bit much to me.

Especially on the more open maps. At least the maps in the city I can wimp out in an alley.

You only have to prone if you don't stand in a window or close to something (as it requires to "deploy" before use.

A rock might even do it while crouched.

Tovarisc

It's just weird that medics don't have a bigger variety of auto fire weapons, when they're pretty much in the shit constantly in closer quarters trying to heal and revive their team. I wish there was a neutral weapons tier like in BF4 where every class could use the carbine rifles..

Giving every class access to strong carbines was mistake by DICE. It totally broke class role divides because every class could pick strong carbine to be pseudo assault. AK5C was and still is one of the strongest weapons in BF4.

Them not giving such weapon class in BF1 is good design as it keeps class role divides intact. Only oddball choice with Medic in BF1 is that they gave class GL's, maybe if limited to just smokes it would make sense.

Best one is the dual SMG one for sure. Flamer and HMG is pretty much the same except HMG is beast at distance after a bit of shooting as it becomes more accurate.

Absolute beast combo with the enemy team raging super hard.

That dual SMG heavy is like cheating. They took Automatico, injected some steroids in and then put two of them together. Just too good.

I love it.

Just play and do regular BF stuff.

The leveling feels really slow, so i was just wondering. Medic and Support and my two most-played classes and I'm only level 2 and level 1 respectively. I just figured my class level would have been higher by now, especially since we have people in this thread who are level 10 with multiple classes.

Theorry

The leveling feels really slow, so i was just wondering. Medic and Support and my two most-played classes and I'm only level 2 and level 1 respectively. I just figured my class level would have been higher by now, especially since we have people in this thread who are level 10 with multiple classes.

That was mostly of a bug. Before the latest patch. The leveling was way faster.

Jesus you make this sound like a job. If you want to take it super seriously you can squad up with gaffers, if you want to play it casually then expect to be playing with others who don't bend over backwards to support your play style.

So sick of the moaning in here.

God forbid I expect squads to have orders and players to work together in a team game.

Again, I think Classic Mode will make a big difference if it arrives. This video echoes my thoughts exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbh248x_kA

Maximus P

I seem to get killed by pistols more than any other weapon. Those things are powerful in this game. Has Battlefield always had powerful secondary weapons?

ktroopa

Just started playing on XB1 and why are there so many locked squads? Is this a bug i cant join any, so how do you join them if the game doesnt add you which it should?

Then your concern more has to deal with the OP weapon states on the carbines. They don't necessarily need to open up a tier of universal weapons, they should give medic access to more auto short/med range weapons imo. I'd be more enticed to go in the shit and revive my team/drop med crates as the class intends to do, if you have more of a chance of not getting outshot by fully automatic weapons against support/assault in tighter spaces. For now, they've given medics DMRs for medium/long range fights with no luck of going into tight spaces and reviving down mates unless you whip out you side arm and hope for the best. This has been my experience of just exclusively playing medic for the most part during my play through. The DMRs are decent, but there's little room for error going up against assault/support with weapons that spit out bullets like crazy. It's just weird sitting back as medic like you're playing scout, instead of being in the shit with other teammates in choke points healing and reviving.
Giving every class access to strong carbines was mistake by DICE. It totally broke class role divides because every class could pick strong carbine to be pseudo assault. AK5C was and still is one of the strongest weapons in BF4.

Them not giving such weapon class in BF1 is good design as it keeps class role divides intact. Only oddball choice with Medic in BF1 is that they gave class GL's, maybe if limited to just smokes it would make sense.

That dual SMG heavy is like cheating. They took Automatico, injected some steroids in and then put two of them together. Just too good.

I love it.

Why WHY do you still have to cycle through each seat in vehicles?? You should just be able to press up/down on the d-pad to jumop through them quickly.

I'd like to see them implement some sort of radial menu for switching seats in vehicles. The menu could be an image of the vehicle (just like what you see at the bottom of the screen when you're inside one). Something like that would be so much faster and intuitive than the current system.

void666

Banned
Just started playing on XB1 and why are there so many locked squads? Is this a bug i cant join any, so how do you join them if the game doesnt add you which it should?

When you join with friends, squad is locked by default. That's why there are so many locked squads with 2 or 3 people in it.

Tovarisc

Then your concern more has to deal with the OP weapon states on the carbines. They don't necessarily need to open up a tier of universal weapons, they should give medic access to more auto short/med range weapons imo. I'd be more enticed to go in the shit and revive my team/drop med crates as the class intends to do, if you have more of a chance of not getting outshot by fully automatic weapons against support/assault in tighter spaces. For now, they've given medics DMRs for medium/long range fights with no luck of going into tight spaces and reviving down mates unless you whip out you side arm and hope for the best. This has been my experience of just exclusively playing medic for the most part during my play through. The DMRs are decent, but there's little room for error going up against assault/support with weapons that spit out bullets like crazy. It's just weird sitting back as medic like you're playing scout, instead of being in the shit with other teammates in choke points healing and reviving.

Going against SMG up close without own SMG is dicey, even BAR more often than not can't win that encounter. Accuracy just isn't there. DMR can challenge DMR's and LMG's with quite ease from short to long range. I say that as someone who plays a lot medic and support. I can understand argument for giving shotguns to medic instead of assault, it could have worked to make medic players more comfortable with short range engagements. Then we would be having discussion if Medic is just renamed Assault from BF4, but at least Medic would have more CQB options :b

Still I don't like idea of universal weapon class that would make all kits e.g. very CQB viable. It would blur and break kit barriers too much, like carbines did in BF4. For longest time best weapon for Support in BF4 was carbine.

ktroopa

When you join with friends, squad is locked by default. That's why there are so many locked squads with 2 or 3 people in it.

Yep thats cool i got that, but what if i dont join with friends and want to join an open squad, i cant see any available. Unless i create my own. I prefer to play in a team obviously!

Yep thats cool i got that, but what if i dont join with friends and want to join an open squad, i cant see any available. Unless i create my own. I prefer to play in a team obviously!

You can unlock it on PS4 and PC. I would think its clicking the right or left stick in the squad menu for Xbox one.

So, on the topic of single player, am I the only one who would prefer a series of bot matches connected with a loose story, as opposed to the super scripted campaign in this game?

The stories were a little bit better written than the other Battlefield campaigns I've played (my experience with the series is 4 and Hardline), but it still felt so scripted and linear and so completely unattached to the multiplayer experience.

I admit to being a bit biased as I'm not a big fan of scripted, cinematic FPS campaigns in the first place, but I honestly feel like these linear campaigns detract from the point of the series, which I've always seen as focusing on large scale battles with a focus on teamwork and strategy over individual heroics.

Still loving the game altogether though.
I mean, if I could pick something I want, I'd rather just have a game with better encounter design in the single-player.

More of a focus on bots could be interesting, but given how terrible the AI is for both allies and enemies in the campaign, I have no faith they'd get it right.
I just find the constant gas grenade spam annoying because it means I'm taking the mask on and off constantly. A lot of it is friendly grenades too, where there's no damage, just annoyance. It doesn't mean DICE have to change anything, although only one grenade per player would be nice.

I almost wish they made gas grenades damage friendly units as well, with negative points given for damaging teammates. That might cut down the spam. Unfortunately they'd just be used to troll friendly snipers then :(
Fair. I guess for me, even though I know the mask limits your view, at this point I've taken to using a shottie and just wearing it whenever I enter enclosed spaces. Doesn't bother me too much to take it on and off.

ktroopa

You can unlock it on PS4 and PC. I would think its clicking the right or left stick in the squad menu for Xbox one.

Thanks yep i found that. Sorry im not being clear maybe. What i meant is if all i see on the join squad screen is locked squads, then i guess i am left with no choice but to create my own squad. It seems odd tho, shud the game not have open squads as well, it was this way in the ea early access?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what's the preferred assault weapon?

And fuck the developer who decided to give the assault class a weapon that takes up so much screen real estate. How is that one gun with the upside down magazine even usable?

Surfinn

Not playing sniper tank? If not then you are doing it wrong to begin with.

Ummm. No. So you're the guy who's on the hill farming kills and not capping points then? Of course.. you don't go in blindly, you clear and cap when it's safe (I snipe all the time when I approach flags too).

Bad baddddd tank if you're just sniping. Let someone else have it. I just experienced someone doing this and we lost the game because they were greedily sniping infantry on a hill while crucial flags were not being capped.

This is BF 101, lol. I'm no pro but I had a combination of 10k kills in BF3/4 with tanks. If you're not trying to eventually cap the point with a tank you're doing it wrong.

I'm afraid I'm not gonna get to Scout Level 10 to use the Martini before they nerf it. I've come to like a dead stop, and not to mention I feel like I've gotten worse at the game, so getting XP is even harder.

Feels bad man.

jaaz

I've got a few thousand hours in BF games. You could make this silly list for any of the games. Those should all be one hit kills.. you just have to learn how to avoid them.

Total nonissue here.

I have played every Battlefiled game since BF1942 and played 78 hours of BF1. While I haven't made a comprehensive comparison, I'm fairly certain that BF1 has more mechanics than can one-shot you operating at the same time than any other Battlefield game. It's hard to avoid.

And as far as "git gud" and avoid them, why is it silly to point out things that can kill you without you ever seeing it coming and having a chance to avoid it? How can you avoid a mortar strike, artillery, train/behemoth/dreadnought strike, etc. coming halfway across the map and killing you? No level of skill will help you avoid something that you don't see coming.

I love this game too, but I'm certainly going to criticize it.

Surfinn

I have played every Battlefiled game since BF1942 and played 78 hours of BF1. While I haven't made a comprehensive comparison, I'm fairly certain that BF1 has more mechanics than can one-shot you operating at the same time than any other Battlefield game. It's hard to avoid.

And as far as "git gud" and avoid them, why is it silly to point out things that can kill you without you ever seeing it coming and having a chance to avoid it? How can you avoid a mortar strike, artillery, train/behemoth/dreadnought strike, etc. coming halfway across the map and killing you? No level of skill will help you avoid something that you don't see coming.

Never said you can't criticize it (I've been criticizing the game as well in this same thread), and nowhere did I say "git gud" as I loathe that sort of talk. It's about learning positioning and when to attack/hide. I've had absolutely no problem with getting one shot in this game aside from the occasional snipe or shotgun from point blank. But I was able to counter and avoid this from happening by changing the way I was playing (ie not going through the same doorway, spawning in the same area I got sniped in quickly after dying).

That said, as in any BF game, if your team is getting dominated you're just going to end up taking a lot more deaths because that's the nature of the game. I've been in games where there's just nowhere to go because our team failed the objectives very early on.

I really don't feel like there are more one shot mechanics than in BF3/4. I actually feel like there's much more of a fair playing field not having to worry about autolock bullshit and gimmicky gadgets that everyone spams.

Although I will agree that superweapons like the blimp and train are pretty OP and do ruin the game from time to time.

The Beard

The Train and Dreadnought are very easy to avoid. The Zepelin can be a pain in the ass if you're out in the open, but it's also pretty easy to avoid. I don't think I've ever been killed by a mortar and I've played 40+ hours. I just don't see people using them. These things are nowhere near as common/dangerous as you're making them out to be. The hardest thing to avoid on your list is a close range shotgun blast, but those aren't an issue either.

Is there any way to customize your character, visually? The UI in this game is insanely confusing--I'm not even completely sure how to change my load out.

Caim

Is there any way to customize your character, visually? The UI in this game is insanely confusing--I'm not even completely sure how to change my load out.

I think your character changes randomly every time you spawn.

You can change your loadout in the app or in game, but I think they are supposed to be adding it to the menu eventually.

iTunes?

Hopefully they're just the first platform.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Never said you can't criticize it (I've been criticizing the game as well in this same thread), and nowhere did I say "git gud" as I loathe that sort of talk. It's about learning positioning and when to attack/hide. I've had absolutely no problem with getting one shot in this game aside from the occasional snipe or shotgun from point blank. But I was able to counter and avoid this from happening by changing the way I was playing (ie not going through the same doorway, spawning in the same area I got sniped in quickly after dying).

That said, as in any BF game, if your team is getting dominated you're just going to end up taking a lot more deaths because that's the nature of the game. I've been in games where there's just nowhere to go because our team failed the objectives very early on.

I really don't feel like there are more one shot mechanics than in BF3/4. I actually feel like there's much more of a fair playing field not having to worry about autolock bullshit and gimmicky gadgets that everyone spams.

Although I will agree that superweapons like the blimp and train are pretty OP and do ruin the game from time to time.

Man, I dunno. I've been playing since 1942 like everyone else, but I just die so often in B1 to random shit. The superweapons/blimp/whatever is just a stupid, stupid mechanic that is more frustrating than anything. Mortars can also be annoying because there's not much I can do about them. I'm walking and then I'm dead. You're right, there are ways to minimize the impact of these mechanics - avoid going into the mortar kill zones, pray to baby jesus that your team helps you take out the blimp, etc. But it's just frustrating at times, moreso than in any other BF game for me.

And yes, I understand that, in a way, all this game is doing is mimicking how easy it is to die in a real war. Understood, but still frustrating in a game. But it's still early. We'll see how everyone adapts over the next 12 months.

Theorry

I feel for people who bought this game only for the SP lol.
Its just as bad as BF3 and BF4 or maybe even more bad. Who thought it was a good idea to put in so many sneak missions? I am playing Battlefield not Splinter Cell. He i would mind it less if it was abit good. But its so bad on Hard lol. You get spotted instant. I just shoot my way through now. Flying is so crap also. The enemies just fly against you all the time. Instant death.

He the SP looks good... We have atleast that.

Does anyone chat on PS4? I've only played a few matches so far but have never heard a voice. I am wondering if I just have my audio settings messed up. I believe I have all audio - game and chat - coming through my DS4 into headphones.

I feel like if you actually talked to squadmates and coordinated attacks you could be so deadly against the horde of people not communicating.

Theorry

Does anyone chat on PS4? I've only played a few matches so far but have never heard a voice. I am wondering if I just have my audio settings messed up. I believe I have all audio - game and chat - coming through my DS4 into headphones.

I feel like if you actually talked to squadmates and coordinated attacks you could be so deadly against the horde of people not communicating.

Party chat killed Voip on consoles. Nobody is using that anymore.

I feel for people who bought this game only for the SP lol.
Its just as bad as BF3 and BF4 or maybe even more bad. Who thought it was a good idea to put in so many sneak missions? I am playing Battlefield not Splinter Cell. He i would mind it less if it was abit good. But its so bad on Hard lol. You get spotted instant. I just shoot my way through now. Flying is so crap also. The enemies just fly against you all the time. Instant death.

He the SP looks good... We have atleast that.

Not to mention a ton of stuff was cut or never present in the promo stuff. Germans climbing on the armored train, fighters going against Battleships, tanks and big battle in the desert, the whole Harlem Hellfighters storyline. Etc etc etc. very disappointed in the SP.

Nameless

Console players: any recommendations for stick sensitivity and ADS sensitivity? Oh, and should Uniform Soldier Aiming be on or off?

I like to set mine as high as I can stand then reduce it until I find the sweet spot.

Right now using:

Soldier-70
ADS- 100
FOV - 95

Top Bottom