• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Theorry

I actually like the flag placement on that map; they're relatively close to each other meaning I can capture one and then take off to the next, not having to run 150+ meters. On 64 player servers it gets very hectic though.

Its more about the fights on it. A and E dont have alot of cover. Houses get destroyed quickly. B and D is just abit of a clusterfuck on top and downstairs with also people locking doors etc. C is maybe decent. But as infantery you only really safe inside and its abit of a deathtrap for the tank in the tunnel.

WillyFive

Monte Grappa is the best map in the game, I've played on it the most out of all of them.

Empire's Edge is a close second though. Sometimes I can't decide between the two.

Recall

So I've given myself this little tick that's made me get more pissed off at the matter than I should.

So I join a squad instantly every time, and "Request Order" spamming it until the team is given one. If none is given (which happens often) I then find the need to send a polite psn message basically telling them what to do, which is ignored.

The problem is, beyond me being annoying, is that I can't concentrate on the objective at hand as I'm all worked up over the thousands of missed points that have passed us all by.

It shouldn't matter but it does, it annoys me.

Make my own squad and no one joins (karma) or join randoms and forever be pissed off over the lack of orders given. More points = faster levelling and more sense of progress.

I can't help it :(
I can't help it at all.

So I've given myself this little tick that's made me get more pissed off at the matter than I should.

So I join a squad instantly every time, and "Request Order" spamming it until the team is given one. If none is given (which happens often) I then find the need to send a polite psn message basically telling them what to do, which is ignored.

The problem is, beyond me being annoying, is that I can't concentrate on the objective at hand as I'm all worked up over the thousands of missed points that have passed us all by.

Make my own squad and no one joins (karma) or join randoms and forever be pissed off over the lack of orders given. More points = faster levelling and more sense of progress.

I can't help it at all.

Trust me when I say that you are not alone.

abuC

The second stage on Fao Fortress operations with the Dreadnought is probably the worst thought out map design I've seen in a while. There's almost nothing you can do about it. If they have A you basically spawn right in their line of sight with nowhere to go wedged between snipers on one side and the dreadnought on the other.

And will they add bullet drop to this game? It doesn't make sense that WW1 sniper rifles are better than the ones in BF3 and BF4.

I can't help it at all.

Don't do that to yourself. Having randoms join your squad and ignore your orders, sometimes even spamming the "requesting order" even though the order is clearly to defend a certain flag, isn't that fun at all as well. Learn to ignore that, sometimes a good squad will show up, I've been fortunate to lead some pretty good random players. Try to have fun, what you're doing isn't going to help.

The second stage on Fao Fortress operations with the Dreadnought is probably the worst thought out map design I've seen in a while. There's almost nothing you can do about it. If they have A you basically spawn right in their line of sight with nowhere to go wedged between snipers on one side and the dreadnought on the other.

And will they add bullet drop to this game? It doesn't make sense that WW1 sniper rifles are better than the ones in BF3 and BF4.

That bulled drop messed up my attempts to get that stupid sniper medal so bad, I was constantly shooting over people that are 1500m away thinking that the bullet would drop, but nope you just need to slightly nudge the sight upwards, maybe, sometimes not even that.

I can't help it at all.

Theyll fix it soon, dont worry

The Beard

I can't help it at all.

I'm right there with you. I took yesterday off because the previous day I was getting pissed off because I went through 7 different squads and not one "leader" would mark objectives, even after multiple requests. I think I'll just create my own squad for a while and hope that other people join it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I now understand why so many people say Suez is their least-favorite BF1 map. I've enjoyed almost all of the maps so far, but Suez is a complete clusterfuck. Why DICE felt the need to include such an uninspired, linear map in a game with an otherwise solid lineup is just beyond me. Even Fao Fortress, which is also widely disliked, is considerably better. At least it has a unique design with the outlying fortress that almost feels like a map unto itself. Suez, however, is just shit. Grade A shit.

I think I dislike Fao Fortress more than Suez. Despite initially hating it I've kinda grown to like the forest map; it's a meatgrinder and C is a frustrating capture point, but I've had some really good infantry fights on it that don't piss me off like Locker/Metro did. Suez is junk but I feel that's because it's such a one sided, boring map. It's still more interesting than Locker/Metro, and I like that it's got a ton of buildings all of which can be demolished, but it's too small and dull to offer much in the ways of conquest variety.

Fao Fortress is the real stinker for me because it presents itself as a proper conquest map; decently sized, capture points spread out, seemingly diverse locations. But the topography and cover distribution doesn't support diverse play. It's far, far too open and thus because a map massively in favour of sniper engagements. It's not like even Sinai, which I don't mind, that has some dense town style fighting and large rock formations to block off sniper. At least with Sinai you can stay out of sniper hotzones and the cover distribution gives snipers a harder time landing shots.

Fao is just so empty and flat and boring that once you're in the castle or the high ridge on the other side you can basically just snipe freely across everything. It's the one map where I feel some of the classes are inherently disadvantaged out of the gate. Assault in particular is boring to play unless you've got some vehicles to fuck around with or stay entirely within the castle (which is boring), because the stretches of terrain between the already very open capture points makes you a sitting duck for range medics and scouts.

I've come to enjoy a round on the forest map, if I'm in the right mood. Suez is boring but usually over quick enough that I don't get too frustrated, but I do quit half the servers that swap to it. Fao is a low hitrate for me. Most of the time the server swaps to Fao I call it a night, because it's just no fun.

Yes, you're playing Team Deathmatch.

[][/]

:(

People_are_being_mean_by_making_mashups_of_sad_Ben_Affleck_s_reaction_to_Batman_v_Superman_reviews.jpg

jaaz

I can't help it at all.

I confess to hiding the chat box because the chat can get quite nasty. It's like a chat room for repressed racists. Which brings up a question, is there there a way to hide the general chat and just display squad chat? If not, they should implement this. (I know that there's VOIP in a squad, but understand that some people don't like to chat with randoms.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like being squad leader, since scout is always my least played class, and thus get bored if I'm not pushing for an objective capture or digging in on a capture point that's under pressure. I find when I'm squad leading most of the time my squad will actually follow my directions, giving me a group to move forward with. And since I'll often go medic we'll get a good loop of me keeping them alive while we try to capture.

And I mean, it's so important to have a good squad leader, because you get that huge benefit of mobile spawn points that, if everybody is actually playing the game right, keep you constantly on the frontline. It's not hard, you don't have to do anything. Just highlight the most valuable flag and direct. If it's captured, assess if there's enemy pressure, and if it's okay move on to the next one.

I don't know why some squad leaders don't get this.

jaaz

I like being squad leader, since scout is always my least played class, and thus get bored if I'm not pushing for an objective capture or digging in on a capture point that's under pressure. I find when I'm squad leading most of the time my squad will actually follow my directions, giving me a group to move forward with. And since I'll often go medic we'll get a good loop of me keeping them alive while we try to capture.

And I mean, it's so important to have a good squad leader, because you get that huge benefit of mobile spawn points that, if everybody is actually playing the game right, keep you constantly on the frontline. It's not hard, you don't have to do anything. Just highlight the most valuable flag and direct. If it's captured, assess if there's enemy pressure, and if it's okay move on to the next one.

I don't know why some squad leaders don't get this.

You'd think just having that awesome whistle blow when you GO GO GO should be enough to have them play proper squad leader!

I think I dislike Fao Fortress more than Suez. Despite initially hating it I've kinda grown to like the forest map; it's a meatgrinder and C is a frustrating capture point, but I've had some really good infantry fights on it that don't piss me off like Locker/Metro did. Suez is junk but I feel that's because it's such a one sided, boring map. It's still more interesting than Locker/Metro, and I like that it's got a ton of buildings all of which can be demolished, but it's too small and dull to offer much in the ways of conquest variety.

Fao Fortress is the real stinker for me because it presents itself as a proper conquest map; decently sized, capture points spread out, seemingly diverse locations. But the topography and cover distribution doesn't support diverse play. It's far, far too open and thus because a map massively in favour of sniper engagements. It's not like even Sinai, which I don't mind, that has some dense town style fighting and large rock formations to block off sniper. At least with Sinai you can stay out of sniper hotzones and the cover distribution gives snipers a harder time landing shots.

Fao is just so empty and flat and boring that once you're in the castle or the high ridge on the other side you can basically just snipe freely across everything. It's the one map where I feel some of the classes are inherently disadvantaged out of the gate. Assault in particular is boring to play unless you've got some vehicles to fuck around with or stay entirely within the castle (which is boring), because the stretches of terrain between the already very open capture points makes you a sitting duck for range medics and scouts.

I've come to enjoy a round on the forest map, if I'm in the right mood. Suez is boring but usually over quick enough that I don't get too frustrated, but I do quit half the servers that swap to it. Fao is a low hitrate for me. Most of the time the server swaps to Fao I call it a night, because it's just no fun.

Whhaattt.

I like Fao. The fortress makes it desirable to capture and its really fun fighting there. I love playing assault and laying at mines near the A base.

Assault does fine around A, B, and middle flag.

Besides, isnt it the only map with a boat that can cap a majority of the objectives? Sure wish there was more of those

meppi

I like being squad leader, since scout is always my least played class, and thus get bored if I'm not pushing for an objective capture or digging in on a capture point that's under pressure.

The thing is, it's super fun to play scout with a iron sight rifle and do just that.
But for some reason you just don't see many people do this at all.
It was my preferred way of playing BC2 and it looks like it'll be the most fun for me again in BF1 also.
I just can't hang back and do nothing but aim and shoot. I need to be in the midst of the chaos to have fun.

I had a couple of really great clips from tonight, but for some weird reason my PS4 never recorded any of them. grr. :(

jaaz

Dear Dice:

WTB an automatic medic weapon because I'm bad.

Thanks ... Love, me.

Try the Cel Rigotti Factory on full auto (hit "V" on PC). I've found this is the best one if you want to go full auto. Not sure any of the autoloaders do full auto, but I could be wrong.

Increase bullet velocity across the board.

EatChildren

It requires firing more than two neurons at once.

Too true :(. Though I do wonder if some players maybe don't fully understand what exactly a squad leader is, if they're even squad leader at all, and how simply it is to play the role well.

You'd think just having that awesome whistle blow when you GO GO GO should be enough to have them play proper squad leader!

EXACTLY. *tooot*

Whhaattt.

I like Fao. The fortress makes it desirable to capture and its really fun fighting there. I love playing assault and laying at mines near the A base.

Assault does fine around A, B, and middle flag.

Besides, isnt it the only map with a boat that can cap a majority of the objectives? Sure wish there was more of those

I guess, I just find it really boring. Good point about the boat though.

The thing is, it's super fun to play scout with a iron sight rifle and do just that.
But for some reason you just don't see many people do this at all.
It was my preferred way of playing BC2 and it looks like it'll be the most fun for me again in BF1 also.
I just can't hang back and do nothing but aim and shoot. I need to be in the midst of the chaos to have fun.

I had a couple of really great clips from tonight, but for some weird reason my PS4 never recorded any of them. grr. :(

Yeah this too. Hell even from a distance a good scout and play squad leader well, directing a more frontline squad to take objectives while providing sniper support from the sides. But yeah, people dont.

Increase bullet velocity across the board.

One of the best things about BF1, in my opinion, and largely why the ballistics are so much more satisfying than Battlefield 4. Despite adoring the latter I've complained countless times how floaty and unrealistic the ballistics in that game feel versus the expectations from using virtual weaponry. Bullets drop too quickly and velocity is oddly low, leading to weird encounters at certain distances that never really felt right, trying to manage oddball nuances of leading shots for weapons that feel like they should shoot further, faster.

I get it from a balance perspective, but BF1 is a much nicer sweet spot. Weapons are proper punchy.

WillyFive

Only problem I have with Fao is that it's ugly. The other maps look really great, but visually Fao looks like it's all one solid color.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what's the preferred assault weapon?

And fuck the developer who decided to give the assault class a weapon that takes up so much screen real estate. How is that one gun with the upside down magazine even usable?
The best Assault weapon initially is the one with upside down magazine (Automatico). To use it, you get up close, point it at the bad guys, and pull the trigger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRm1sXofw8I

Once you've unlocked the Model 10A shotgun, that becomes the best Assault class weapon.

No bullet drop at all? What the fuck?? Is that a bug or a feature??
I remember Demize99 saying that for BF1 they were going to more accurately model bullet velocities and the physics of bullet drop, which would mean way less drop than in previous games. I have no idea if they did or not.

Tovarisc

I also think Fao is worse than Suez. Hell, I actually like Suez a lot.

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Or then you just really enjoy easy KDR games where you get to farm another team from their homebase.

I remember Demize99 saying that for BF1 they were going to more accurately model bullet velocities and the physics of bullet drop, which would mean way less drop than in previous games. I have no idea if they did or not.

They did. Bolt action rifles have some insane muzzle velocities for BF game.

Karu

I can't help it at all.
Just started yesterday playing but on that matter - anyone know how I give commands on PS4? Always leave and rejoin a squad when I happen to be the leader so far.

TheRed

In all Battlefields I've never gotten angry at not getting orders, I guess I'm just not a point fiend like some people. It doesn't bother me.

CHC

Two things I would like too see changed:

1) squad leader dynamics - too many lame duck leaders who in all likelihood don't even know that they are leader. At the very least they should make a flashing thing that says "you are the squad leader! Issue commands now!"

2) better incentives for destroying or chipping away at behemoths. Obviously destroying them is its own reward to some degree but I spend like 10 minutes in a boat on Empire's Edge destroying the dreadnaught piece by piece and probably got less than 1000 points by the end of it. Like I said, it feels good taking it out to begin with but from a cost / benefit perspective there's not much incentive to go and do that.

(Oh and yeah as an aside I have to agree with the Fao hate. Boring map, ugly colors and scenery, lame fort camping. Love all the others though, including Suez and Argonne, actually.)

Is the Asian release of BF1 censored in any way?

I originally wanted to buy it with my European PSN account to have it on the HDD available, but since I moved I can buy the Asia release cheaper locally. The difference is over 20€ and due to the DLC situation I want to spend as little possible...

Top Bottom