• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Theorry

I wish Campaign actually played like the actual Battlefield gameplay from the multiplayer. It feels like an entirely different game, even the controls for everything are different.

That said, it's a big improvement from BF4 and BF3 (looked up some clips to remind me of them, forgot how atrocious they were), but I wish it would have been single player Operations instead of the Hardline campaign reskin.

My biggest gripe? So many stealth missions. And they dont play nice also.
Not sure what they were thinking. I want big missions. Storming beaches, or trenches like the tutorial etc.

Caps directly affects rate of tickets like under old system. Kill farming directly affects rate of tickets like under old system. Tickets go from 0 to 1000 instead of old model where they went from 1000 to 0.

What is problem here again?

Edit: Personally didn't miss these BF4 era CQ games where one can rolfstomp 100 - 0 another through holding ~50% of caps and then just KDR farm opponents to defeat.

Like the old system, but not the same. No where near the same. KDR farming is far, far from the problem you're making it out to be. Rarely did I play games like that. Maybe you did, but PTFO'd in BF3, and BF4 and had more success than "KDR farming" like you're saying.

The old conquest system was much better. Much. You didn't need these gimmicky comeback mechanics like the behemoth. You actually had to have teamwork and people who PTFO'd to make a comeback. In this system, you can get an early quick lead, and just coast to the finish as long as you don't lose all of the flags for a long period of time.

Had my first what I consider good game for myself (went above 10,000). I've been getting frustrated with this game, because the last time I played a battlefield it was bad company 2 (which I absolutely love), and I was very good at it. This on the other hand, I've been struggling. I know what I need to be doing, and I feel like I'm doing those things. But sometimes at the end I still feel like I'm not helping. I'm capturing objectives, I'm giving squad orders, I'm defending, etc. I haven't really messed around with tanks or anything too much yet, mainly because they just don't really interest me.

Mainly, I really wish I had some people to play with I know. I know gaf has a group, so maybe I'll check that out, but my play time is totally random and unreliable.

Xater

Had my first what I consider good game for myself (went above 10,000). I've been getting frustrated with this game, because the last time I played a battlefield it was bad company 2 (which I absolutely love), and I was very good at it. This on the other hand, I've been struggling. I know what I need to be doing, and I feel like I'm doing those things. But sometimes at the end I still feel like I'm not helping. I'm capturing objectives, I'm giving squad orders, I'm defending, etc. I haven't really messed around with tanks or anything too much yet, mainly because they just don't really interest me.

Mainly, I really wish I had some people to play with I know. I know gaf has a group, so maybe I'll check that out, but my play time is totally random and unreliable.

You'll get there. I play mostly alone and I consistently get 12-15k points. With a good squad following me 20k+ are totally doable.

Ambient80

Had my first real good play session yesterday. Pretty fun! Saw the first enemy giant airship get called in, that was cool. Looking up and seeing planes flying around it and such, watching bombs blow up on its surface, so neat.

I also really like the "zoom in" spawn feature. It helps me get oriented on the field before running in. Well, except once lmao. When it zoomed in the camera spun around like crazy until I was in control of my character. It was like I landed from Oz inside of a tornado haha. Another fun graphical glitch was it looked like a guy was in some sort of vehicle driving across some sand dunes, but the vehicle graphic wasn't there so he was just gliding across the sand lol.

Pretty good matches so far! I only played Conquest and I really enjoyed it, even when our team got stomped. Also I feel like everyone plays medic, and yet few people actually revive.

No ticket bleed.

No ticket bleed means no great comebacks where you can starve enemy tickets, stall yours, and generally play a game of tug of war. That was the natural way to mount comebacks: getting your shit together as a team and holding on to more flags long enough to drain the enemy

No revives counting for denying enemy points means that Medic class's role is seriously much less important in CQ. For better or worse I dont know.

Don't think I have seen one comeback in this game. You generally know who's going to win after 5 - 10 minutes.

robotrock

Banned
Damn guys, game just clicked. Played a game on one of the desert maps while there was a sandstorm going on, had a great squad leader, and had the second most points on the scorebound at 17,600. Most flags captured at 13 on conquest.

I feel like this is my peak and now I'm going to uninstall the game

My biggest gripe? So many stealth missions. And they dont play nice also.
Not sure what they were thinking. I want big missions. Storming beaches, or trenches like the tutorial etc.
The first Gallipoli campaign mission was ace for exactly that reason. Storming the beach and taking out heavily defended gun nests in the cliffs is amazing. Pretty much the best mission outside the tutorial and the British tanker campaign (though I haven't played the Lawrence campaign yet, will do that tomorrow). The stealth missions are serviceable, but you usually can just rambo your way through if you want action (or trench combat in the case of the American pilot campaign).

Still a pretty good campaign considering where the priorities for Battlefield games lie, and every single one of the characters is likeable and you actually care for them for the most part, a far far cry from the extremely bad and bland characters in BF3/4 despite getting much more screen time (execpt BF3s Spetznatz, those guys were cool), Irish from BF4 is the most annoying, badly written and unlikeable character in the recent history of FPS gaming.

@MP, need some help: Just can't get Medics to work for me, even after switching to the Selbstlader (the starting gun is utterly atrocious - at least I can work with the Selbstlader) I feel like I am handicapping myself massively. Reviving and healing is nice and all, but you get raped in close combat and killed by Recons at long range, while you have pretty much no way to deal with tanks (which are really strong in this game). Noobtube feels underwhelming end takes up either healing or reviving (which is rather unacceptable IMO). I can work with Assaults much better, especially considering how CC heavy most maps (especially in Operations, Osman Operations excluded) are.

Do medics get better and more competitive once you unlock gun versions with optics? Levelling them up takes forever and I don't know if I have the will left to grind to Medic class rank 3 to unlock them.

Also which pistols would you recommend for Assault and Medic? Want to grab the Austrian auto revolver to replace my M1911.

This game! These are the kind of moments that make this series the best MP shooter for me. Just overwhelming chaos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_SrdspfdA

Just looked like something out of cartoon to me. The building collapsed but you survived? Right.

I think you really have to suspend your disbelief to get into some of these moments. Sometimes this game looks you're playing as the protagonist of Just Cause 3.

T

@MP: Just can't get Medics to work for me, even after switching to the Selbstlader (the starting gun is utterly atrocious - at least I can work with the Selbstlader) I feel like I am handicapping myself massively. Reviving and healing is nice and all, but you get raped in close combat and killed by Recons at long range, while you have pretty much no way to deal with tanks (which are really strong in this game). Noobtube feels underwhelming end takes up either healing or reviving (which is rather unacceptable IMO). I can work with Assaults much better, especially considering how CC heavy most maps (especially in Operations, Osman Operations excluded) are.

Do medics get better and more competitive once you unlock gun versions with optics? Levelling them up takes forever and I don't know if I have the will left to grind to Medic class rank 3 to unlock them.

Also which pistols would you recommend for Assault and Medic? Want to grab the Austrian auto revolver to replace my M1911.

It's weird hearing this as I play the medic and feel that they're almost overpowered at times. On operations or rush where you're defending or attacking a clear front line the mid-long ranged semi-automatic rifles really dominate oncoming forces, the only things you really have to worry about are snipers and other medics.

The Dragon semi-automatic downs people in three shots and I find that to be really effective. Two if you land a headshot which is actually quite common if they're prone.

As far as pistols go I use the revolver. I believe it two shots enemies, not sure though, I haven't used it enough to reliably verify if that is true regardless of where they are hit. It's great to take down injured targets with though as they tend to go down in one-shot.

fuck that train on amiens, hard-fought battle with the other team barely down and they get a fucking behemoth and completely wreck us the rest of the match. became a no-contest. that's not fucking fun

desu

This game! These are the kind of moments that make this series the best MP shooter for me. Just overwhelming chaos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_SrdspfdA

The Mandragon is the best Medic weapon (havent unlocked the lv10 one), having a total blast with it and cannot go back to any other weapon now.

Don't think I have seen one comeback in this game. You generally know who's going to win after 5 - 10 minutes.

It doesn't happen often, but it can happen. I remember this one match on Suez (I hate that map) and we got totally wrecked for the first 5-10 minutes. All our points taken and people dying left and right and then I dunno what happened but suddenly people were getting their shit together. In the end we won 1000-997 and the chat was going absolutely crazy as nobody had expected to turn around the match (myself included).

JJShadow

Do you guys prefer Mondragon Storm or the Optical variant? I know the Optical has far more accuracy, but I really hate how the Optical sight completely cover my field of vision when I aim :/

desu

Do you guys prefer Mondragon Storm or the Optical variant? I know the Optical has far more accuracy, but I really hate how the Optical sight completely cover my field of vision when I aim :/

Currently the Optical, but I haven't spent all that much time with the Storm.

If you're talking about the gasser then don't. It's horrendously inaccurate at range and abysmally slow at close range. I can make just about any gun work for me, but that was a lost cause. I used the P08 on assault until I got the lvl 10 revolver, on medic I use the c96.

fuck that train on amiens, hard-fought battle with the other team barely down and they get a fucking behemoth and completely wreck us the rest of the match. became a no-contest. that's not fucking fun
Don't you have to be a hundred tickets down to get a behemoth or w/e it's called? That's a bit more over "barely".

Just looked like something out of cartoon to me. The building collapsed but you survived? Right.

I think you really have to suspend your disbelief to get into some of these moments. Sometimes this game looks you're playing as the protagonist of Just Cause 3.

I presume I survived because a teammate shot it down. From what I can tell falling debris and shit doesn't harm teammates and I've got quite a few kills from shooting walls out and it falling on enemies below. If it was hardcore I would've died.

Storm, for the same reason. I'd rather just set my zoom for iron sights at the highest.

The Beard

Had several games tonight that would have been comebacks under the old conquest system 😒

I don't like the new system at all. Control used to be fluid and exciting, now both teams get points at all times as long as they have 1 flag 🙄. Behemoths don't help shitty teams, and they very rarely help decent teams comeback. All they do is delay the inevitable and make blowouts last longer than they have any business lasting. Usually some idiot gets in the drivers seat and parks it somewhere away from the flags along with 5 or 6 of your non Scout teammates who would normally be capturing/defending flags, and they just sit there and try to pad their K/D.

I miss the old back and forth where you didn't need 100% of the flags to shut the other team down. There were way more comebacks in BF4.

Tovarisc

Storm. Rifle has good ironsights to begin with and optical sight is small and obscures vision more than helps it.

Daffy Duck

Any tips on playing assault?

I've been a medic until now and switched to assault to take down tanks and boy is it a struggle,feel like I'm being picked off at distance before I can get close to people to kill them, what's the best weapons I should aim to get?

Also it's really annoying not being a medic because when you lose health literally no one on the server I was on was dropping health or ammo.

I've been a medic until now and switched to assault to take down tanks and boy is it a struggle,feel like I'm being picked off at distance before I can get close to people to kill them, what's the best weapons I should aim to get?

Also it's really annoying not being a medic because when you lose health literally no one on the server I was on was dropping health or ammo.

Depends on the weapon, but hipfire is really effective

What's the deal with torpedos? Do I have to drop it super close to the dreadnought or something, because every time I drop one it does nothing.

What's the deal with torpedos? Do I have to drop it super close to the dreadnought or something, because every time I drop one it does nothing.

I have only fired them from relatively close and they hit every time. Just make sure you're not attacking from an angle, I'm not sure if it's modeled in this game but years of Silent Hunter 3 has taught me that if you attack at an angle it's likely the torpedo will glance off the hull of the ship.

How do i see the Discord Server & GAF User ID List? Im looking for people to play on pc with. It says "quote to see", i dont understand. I did that and i dont see anything.

Pastry

Banned
The average behemoth driver just makes me shake my head. Just had a train driver completely pass up the C point on Argonne and go the enemies spawn. Maybe you should use your giant ass vehicle to help capture the bridge lol

That being said, I'm beginning to really enjoy Argonne. C is a clusterfuck but the other points can lead to some really fun firefights.

hug walls like crazy, when youre running always look for cover and use the dive mechanic if you need to. I use gas grenades with my loadout but i mainly play rush/operations. i use the model 10.

Fury451

Banned

It's a more aggressive play style. Hip-fire, close the distance, charge, use grenades a lot (I prefer gas and then the standard AT grenades) not only against vehicles but also enemy soldiers. They can be very annoying point control players. For vehicles, become intimate with grenade arcs and the drop off for the AT rifle. I've gotten shockingly good at moving and distance shots with it with some trial and error.

Unfortunately without support drops for ammo to continue grenade assaults that class can be gimped quickly once the grenades run out because the guns are only good at very close range.

Top Bottom