• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

ExVicis

Since the servers are down, figured now would be a good time to ask some questions. This is the first Battlefield I've played since Vietnam, so there are a bunch of things I'm curious about:

1. How do you apply weapon skins that you unlock through battlepacks?

2. How exactly does the flare gun work? Does it illuminate enemies where it lands, or under its trail as it falls through the sky? Also, does it make them appear on the minimap or put a red icon over the character models' heads?

3. What is the best sniper rifle to purchase/unlock (for class sniping... laying down in the grass hundreds of feet away)?

4. Is it possible to repair tanks/vehicles as support while you're inside them, or do you have to step out?

5. Is there any visual indication of a cooldown timer as a Medic for throwing medpacks? I can't seem to figure out when I can or can't throw them.

6. What is the best gun for Assault class, assuming I don't want a shotgun and want to be able to kill from close - medium range?

7. Is there any way to see who won a battlepack and then quit out to the menu, or do you have to let the game load the next map first?

8. Can your teammates accidentally set off the Scout's tripwire by walking through it?

9. Are there any weapons that Support can use to attack enemy vehicles? Assault has anti-tank grenades and mines... Support have anything?

Thanks!
1. The triangle button whenever you're on a weapon you want to switch skins for

2. I've never tested it I'm sorry to say

3. I've had a lot of luck with that Russian 1895 or something with a scope is the Scout Rifle I've had the best luck with.

4. I think it depends on the vehicle but I've definitely repaired while being inside a tank or a plane before.

5. I've never seen on but I th ink there's maybe a 1 second cooldown or at least I've never been able to throw a medkit down immediately after having already put one down.

6. Like someone said earlier, the Automatico has been pretty good for me.

7. I'm usually too engrossed with what's going on to check, sorry.

8. I've never seen it happen and in my experience I've never seen my character ever set off any sort of trap laid by a teammate.

9. If you have the ability to you can unlock a mortar as support that can hit vehicles, I've just never personally used it.

Looks like servees cannot handle more then a few people joining a server at once. EA comes back and I see 16/54[3] on a bunch of servers.

Edit: matchmaking is failing :(

Since the servers are down, figured now would be a good time to ask some questions. This is the first Battlefield I've played since Vietnam, so there are a bunch of things I'm curious about:

Console it is triangle or y.

2. How exactly does the flare gun work? Does it illuminate enemies where it lands, or under its trail as it falls through the sky? Also, does it make them appear on the minimap or put a red icon over the character models' heads?

It's essentially like a motion sensor that marks any enemy on the map. The radius of the flare is pretty huge so it is a really good item to have.

3. What is the best sniper rifle to purchase/unlock (for class sniping... laying down in the grass hundreds of feet away)?

Stodeh, who is a very great sniper and aggressive sniper, says the 1903 is pretty good. He play's very aggressive and can make any sniper work though. The Martini is god tier for mid to close quarters but it only has 1 shot.

4. Is it possible to repair tanks/vehicles as support while you're inside them, or do you have to step out?

You can only repair inside if you are the driver. Unfortuneately as a support, you are going to need to step out and repair the vehicle.

5. Is there any visual indication of a cooldown timer as a Medic for throwing medpacks? I can't seem to figure out when I can or can't throw them.

I've noticed that if you spam 3 at the same time, you are on a cool down like you said. But I don't know how long the cool down lasts. It seems like about 30 seconds or so.

6. What is the best gun for Assault class, assuming I don't want a shotgun and want to be able to kill from close - medium range?

The smg with 60 rounds is pretty gnarly. I've seen plenty of youtuber's and streamer's going hard as fuck with it.

7. Is there any way to see who won a battlepack and then quit out to the menu, or do you have to let the game load the next map first?

At the end of a round, there will be a crate and next to it are multiple people's account. Other than that, I don't know of any way to see who got what.

8. Can your teammates accidentally set off the Scout's tripwire by walking through it?

Not your own or your own team mates but they can set off enemy mines.

9. Are there any weapons that Support can use to attack enemy vehicles? Assault has anti-tank grenades and mines... Support have anything?

They have the repair wrench to deal small damage and the mortar to deal a decent amount of damage.

Thanks!

That's all I can think of ^_^

AYF 001

Thanks!
1. In the customization menu for a gun while in game. Not sure if the companion app can apply them.

2. Not sure about spotting while in flight, but it will mark enemies on the minimap within a certain radius of where it lands. It can also set you or enemies on fire if they walk over/get hit by it. You can also increase the minimap size to get a view of a greater portion of the map to increase its usefulness.

3. Not sure. Symthic.com will have all the in game stats you need for comparison. Muzzle velocity, fire rate, and damage drop off are the three variables to consider for long range. Make sure you are using a bipod of you want no muzzle drift while prone or it to automatically deploy on any rifle-level surface while crouched/standing.

4. Only the person who initially spawned into a vehicle as the driver can repair it while inside. Anyone can spawn as a support to use their wrench to repair a vehicle from outside.

5. Don't think so. It also appears certain surfaces don't like having kits deployed in them, so you might have to spam them around to make it work.

6. The hellriegel is probably the best assault smg, but that's the level 10 class unlock. Both the mp18 and automatico are good from what I've heard. I usually run with a shotgun so I can't give too much insight.

7. On ps4, you can press the continue button in the post-game credits, and there will be an option to open battlepacks there.

8. No. That will likely change in hardcore mode, however.

9. HE mortar can harass vehicles if they're stationary or you can lead their shells. Air burst mortar is less effective, but can still hurt light tanks or boats too close to shore. Limpet charge is a timed magnetic mine that you can attach to their hull up close. Supply box can allow you to spam light anti-tank grenades (all kits can equip those). Wrench can damage enemy vehicles if you're gutsy/desperate.

Machina

Banned
I love the gas grenade so much it's starting to make me appreciate chemical warfare....

14581444_1103243733077867_4658063237501232558_n.jpg

Lemnisc8

So I decided to test the power of the ant tank mine on the ground floor of a 3 story destructible building (ballroom blitz near the 2 AA by the train track).

Seems to be a viable tactic to clear the whole damn building, killing my self and the TWELVE enemies camping to stop us finishing the operation...

This game! (Now I need to find out how to upload my Xbox one clip to YouTube or something), damn 12 kill feed I was truly happy and we won.

33 and I sound like I'm a overexcited 10yo...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Where it lands. Only on the minimap. Think of the T-ugs in BF3/4 or the motion mines in Bad Company 2 or BF4 and you're half-way there. You get two shots. You can (like BC1) "throw the motion mines" 2 times and spot two different areas IIRC. If you want to test in an empty map (if you can find an empty server) equip it, shoot a little ahead of your feet (so you don't burn yourself) and you'll see where it "spots" on the minimap as a white area. Anyone that goes into that area while it's on will be spotted on the minimap (and if you land a direct hit on someone it'll do some minor burn damage. Same with the Blind Flare)

It's insanely useful and it makes Baby <Insert Deity Here> cry when snipers don't throw them onto flags to light up enemies for their team and it makes Snipers that DO use it cry when supports DON'T FUCKING THROW OUT AMMO SO THEY CAN RESUPPLY TO SPAM THE FLARE MORE. OMG. So take that in mind.

Also I haven't found a use for the Blind Flare beyond trolling your team. So uh... don't use it. Besides which, you can't use it with the Spot Flare equipped anyway. And you should keep the Spot Flare 24/7, IMO. Too useful NOT to have.

Any. Find one you're comfortable with.

Step out UNLESS you're the pilot/spawned into the vehicle. In which case sit still (or stationary/no gas in jet) and press X (whatever on console) to slowly timer-repair.

No, but it's generally like 30 seconds 1min between throws.

Any. Find one your comfortable with.

You should have your profile icon highlighted if you won a Battlepack, but they're utterly worthless so don't worry about it.

No. But if they have a frag grenade they can disable/trigger it.

Anti-tank grenades that you unlock in the grenade section. But they do pitiful damage and aren't worth it. Honestly, if your not an "Assault" you shouldn't be focusing on the tanks (even the K-bullets are utterly worthless) unless you pick up the "tank hunter" kit and know what you want to do with that.

Finally got booted from the server I was alone in, was able to really fly the planes on Monte.
Lets you really appreciate the detail they put into the planes, can see the pistons firing on the attack plane or the glare on the glass in the fighter. Coolest thing is that most of gauges actually work, which makes the campaign choice of not being able to go 1st person even more confusing.

marrec

Banned
Where it lands. Only on the minimap. Think of the T-ugs in BF3/4 or the motion mines in Bad Company 2 or BF4 and you're half-way there. You get two shots. You can (like BC1) "throw the motion mines" 2 times and spot two different areas IIRC. If you want to test in an empty map (if you can find an empty server) equip it, shoot a little ahead of your feet (so you don't burn yourself) and you'll see where it "spots" on the minimap as a white area. Anyone that goes into that area while it's on will be spotted on the minimap (and if you land a direct hit on someone it'll do some minor burn damage. Same with the Blind Flare)

It's insanely useful and it makes Baby <Insert Deity Here> cry when snipers don't throw them onto flags to light up enemies for their team and it makes Snipers that DO use it cry when supports DON'T FUCKING THROW OUT AMMO SO THEY CAN RESUPPLY TO SPAM THE FLARE MORE. OMG. So take that in mind.

Also I haven't found a use for the Blind Flare beyond trolling your team. So uh... don't use it. Besides which, you can't use it with the Spot Flare equipped anyway. And you should keep the Spot Flare 24/7, IMO. Too useful NOT to have.

To add to this, it's really fun to set people on fire with a flare.

Taking down a bomber with the AA gun is one of the most satisfying things in this game. I think it's because you can see bits and pieces of the plane falling off, or because or how you can see the plane losing control as it's being hit.

Shambala

Just caved n bought the game. Played one game and now it seems the servers are down smh. That's what I get for buying this...

Taking down a bomber with the AA gun is one of the most satisfying things in this game. I think it's because you can see bits and pieces of the plane falling off, or because or how you can see the plane losing control as it's being hit.
It's pretty cool visually. Also, I particularly enjoy, even if it doesn't happen as much since I barely play scout (only to lvl it up), shooting a plane with the K bullets and damage its wings only to see the guy lose control and just hit the environment if they were flying somewhat close to the ground. Always puts a smile on my face.

deoee

Thanks for answering my 9 questions, dudes!

I love playing support as a tank hunter / building demolisher.

Get smoke grenades and the magnetic mine.
Smoke the sniper infested building / the tank sprint up to it, throw an ammo box and then attach your mine.

They level buildings in one explosion and if placed well, disable vehicles.

Is there a way to even start the game with Origin down?

I can log into Origin offline, but then Battlefield 1 crashes immediately after it goes full-screen.

This is infuriating.

Bad7667

I've unlocked like 4 of the assault weapons and they are all terrible compared to the first one they give you.

At first I was in total agreement but I have really gotten good with the M1918 and now its my main assault gun (until I unlock the Hellriegel). It shoots fast but if you can keep the sights on the enemy you will win a firefight against the other assault weapons.

Foxxsoxx

Just starting my first game. Does it take like 10 minutes to load a game? This shit seems broke.

The other day I had a squad going with some friends and I ran into the same problem. As soon as we captured an objective, killed all the enemies around, and left to go cap another we'd lose that objective. And this went on for the whole match, the most we had was two flags capped simultaneously and that is because we split up at some point. I wonder what is everyone else was even doing.

Battlefield randoms are a special kind of awful.

I've unlocked like 4 of the assault weapons and they are all terrible compared to the first one they give you.

It's not bad but I need to unlock the rest of the weapons first to make proper comparison's.

I think what I'm going to do is unlock everything else besides the Scout class since I can't snipe for shit in BF1 compared to BF3 and 4. What's throwing me off was that I relied way too much on the spotting when I was playing 3 and 4. BF1 does not play around with the spotting system and I love it.

Feel like an idiot for asking this, but where do I buy upgrades for vehicles and change their equipment, e.g. the flamethrowers for the Heavy Tank? Only know how to select Light Tank/Land Ship/Heavy tank etc. Want to get those flamers ASAP, the MGs feel rather weak compared the flamers especially when it comes to the Heavy Tanks primary objective pushing duty (Landship being the far better long range fire support tank IMO).

Top Bottom