• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Why can't they just skip this weekly changing medal thing?

Selecting your medals feels so clunky and constricting towards your gameplay..
They should let all challenges run "openly" and when you meet a criteria you get a medal..

chiliboy

Monte Grappa is fine, we during the weekend on Discord took everything but the last point in the first wave.

The enemy team camped in the bunker but you can use the roof above them to capture it.

That or use explosives to take the bunker doors off, use incendiary grenades and they'll come running out.

Getting steamrolled sucks but steamrolling is 😁

Even as defenders on that map we've held the first point for ~50% of the enemies tickets so 🤔 People.

Haha yeah we did good this weekend :D its even come to the point that I dread playing alone now :O

I've been doing pretty good in vehicles, especially the tank. Didn't even realize the vehicle itself has kits XD Got the land tank hunter, didn't die for like three matches and killed like 10-15 vehicles per. Freaking nice for planes too.

I was sitting there for about 5 minutes with my face buried in my hand when my friend told me.

I'm coming for you tanks.

Also, I made this emblem the other day.

024964c832.png

I want to make an attach a ribbon like this

when I get the chance. It fits perfectly on the vehicles though :D.

Maximus P

I really wish people wouldn't jump in the vehicles at spawn in conquest if they're not very good with them.

I've seen so many incidents in which my team mates have rushed at the enemy in their tank, trying to cap a flag while surrounded by enemy troops. Sitting ducks.

I also just played a game where i couldn't get a seat in the Behemoth blimp for love nor money on the Conquer hell first map, yet the enemy had at least half of their team as sniper class sat on the roof of the main building and on the hill to the left. God knows what my team mates were doing in that blimp, but they certainly weren't helping.

wbEMX

I still have a feeling that attackers often don't know that I can get the anti-air version of the Artillery Truck to shoot down their airship. It's so fun to shoot down those airships and they don't realize where I am. That thing is a potential game-changer in Operations.

This and the Automatico M1918 Trench made this score on Ballroom Blitz possible. Fuck tanks, when you can go 72-19 without them. :p
Whn7N1B.jpg

danowat

Banned
I haven't played a Battlefront game before, and thought I'd have a dabble due to EA Access....

Bit unaccessable to new players isn't it?, if you could give a new player a few tips, what would you give?

Pheace

Ow wow, at least it keeps the progress I made on my medals before it switched to this weeks, that's something nice about it at least. Now I'm still stuck on destroying 3 vehicles with K-bullets ...

chiliboy

So, after playing beta, 10 hour trial and early enlister (total 80ish hours) - here are my overall thoughts for people new or on the fence of buying it. This is on PC.

Singleplayer = If you enjoyed BF3 and BF4 singleplayer you probably will not enjoy the BF1 singleplayer, and vice versa. I thought the BF1 singleplayer was great, it had a lot of over the top moments and also good diversity regarding who you play as and what you do. The minor gripe I had with it was that it started out really strong and then on the later missions it kind of fizzled out, the quality dropped a bit..

Multiplayer = oh boy, its good. I have been playing each BF since 1942, so it has been a staple in my gaming life during me growing up. I did not enjoy BF3 and BF4 - but I must say that BF1 feels like the series coming back to its roots. The graphics, sounds, the maps (except Suez), the gunplay, the vehicles. It feels really good when playing! It is a battlefield game, meaning that if you only play with randoms you are (not always) most likely to have a bad time. If you play with friends and use mics, you are going to have a hell of good time. You get really rewarded in this game for playing the objectives and I think that is great. You can forget about K/D ratio since it doesn't really mean anything if you have an overall positive win %!

What are the problems that Dice needs to look at?
There are some early gripes that I've heard echoed a lot from the community / people I play with / myself.

Anti Air = needs small tweaks. They should be powerful, but perhaps range should be dropped a bit and for the love of god - please remove the shake effect when being hit by it. I think that is the biggest gripe I have of it, not the damage but the loss of control.
On some maps there are well placed AA and a good balance of the amount - on some maps like Ballroom Blitz there are 5 AAs - which means your airship is going to have a baaad baad time.

Grouping / playing with friends = oh boy.. The grouping function through the game and origin is not working properly. Annoying join server popups when people are in game, some people not being able to join a group or server even though space is there and other issues really need to be sorted out.

Guns = Some are great, and some are just plain not good. I think Dice will fix this, especially some of the shotguns needs nerfing and some of the support weapons needs buffing.

Balance in game modes = 64 player conquest and operations just feel off at the moment. It is really easy as attacker on 40 man operations, but nigh impossible on 64 player. Some of the ops are more balanced than others.

Performance = BF1 causes a lot of computers to behave strangely. I've tested to drop everything to low with meshes to Ultra, no AA and it still pushes my i7 4790k 4.4ghz and Gtx 1080 to the max at 1080p. No other modern game does this :S I have followed all of the tips found on the web, from capping fps to using latest drivers etc, spent at least 3-4 hours looking into it and I still get 100 % usage on all of my CPU cores / threads a lot of the time. Performance settings in energy settings for computer / gpu / cpu are set correctly. There are some threads on official forum / reddit about this.

UI and battlepacks = This needs a serious rework. It should be easier to edit loadouts, easier to get battlepacks (and not random) and easier to quit / enter games. At the moment it is barely OK. The medal system is also abyssmal. Please let us complete all criteria at once, pretty please..

Servers = waiting to see what the custom servers / rent a servers can bring.
Right now the official dice servers for me in Sweden are giving me Ireland servers with wierd ping times when outside of conquest. Only game that does this, I usually have 20-30ms to germany / UK / netherlands in other games.

TLDR; there are small issues that Dice will probably fix in the long run - overall the series is at its peak again - spotting is reduced, more focus on individual skill and playing with friends is just the best feeling at the moment. Haven't felt like this about a game since BF2!

BrutalWrite

Neo Member
Just picked this up after I was getting hounded by friends and acquaintances to get it. Brilliant game and it itches my history buff ego at the same time.

I normally enjoy sniping but I can't seem to get headshots even when it seems i'm aiming straight at the head. What have they done to it? I hear they increase bullet velocity and bullet drops is now more severe.

Does that mean less needing to lead your shots I presume?

So, after playing beta, 10 hour trial and early enlister (total 80ish hours) - here are my overall thoughts for people new or on the fence of buying it. This is on PC.

Singleplayer = If you enjoyed BF3 and BF4 singleplayer you probably will not enjoy the BF1 singleplayer, and vice versa. I thought the BF1 singleplayer was great, it had a lot of over the top moments and also good diversity regarding who you play as and what you do. The minor gripe I had with it was that it started out really strong and then on the later missions it kind of fizzled out, the quality dropped a bit..

Multiplayer = oh boy, its good. I have been playing each BF since 1942, so it has been a staple in my gaming life during me growing up. I did not enjoy BF3 and BF4 - but I must say that BF1 feels like the series coming back to its roots. The graphics, sounds, the maps (except Suez), the gunplay, the vehicles. It feels really good when playing! It is a battlefield game, meaning that if you only play with randoms you are (not always) most likely to have a bad time. If you play with friends and use mics, you are going to have a hell of good time. You get really rewarded in this game for playing the objectives and I think that is great. You can forget about K/D ratio since it doesn't really mean anything if you have an overall positive win %!

What are the problems that Dice needs to look at?
There are some early gripes that I've heard echoed a lot from the community / people I play with / myself.

Anti Air = needs small tweaks. They should be powerful, but perhaps range should be dropped a bit and for the love of god - please remove the shake effect when being hit by it. I think that is the biggest gripe I have of it, not the damage but the loss of control.
On some maps there are well placed AA and a good balance of the amount - on some maps like Ballroom Blitz there are 5 AAs - which means your airship is going to have a baaad baad time.

Grouping / playing with friends = oh boy.. The grouping function through the game and origin is not working properly. Annoying join server popups when people are in game, some people not being able to join a group or server even though space is there and other issues really need to be sorted out.

Guns = Some are great, and some are just plain not good. I think Dice will fix this, especially some of the shotguns needs nerfing and some of the support weapons needs buffing.

Balance in game modes = 64 player conquest and operations just feel off at the moment. It is really easy as attacker on 40 man operations, but nigh impossible on 64 player. Some of the ops are more balanced than others.

Performance = BF1 causes a lot of computers to behave strangely. I've tested to drop everything to low with meshes to Ultra, no AA and it still pushes my i7 4790k 4.4ghz and Gtx 1080 to the max at 1080p. No other modern game does this :S I have followed all of the tips found on the web, from capping fps to using latest drivers etc, spent at least 3-4 hours looking into it and I still get 100 % usage on all of my CPU cores / threads a lot of the time. Performance settings in energy settings for computer / gpu / cpu are set correctly. There are some threads on official forum / reddit about this.

UI and battlepacks = This needs a serious rework. It should be easier to edit loadouts, easier to get battlepacks (and not random) and easier to quit / enter games. At the moment it is barely OK. The medal system is also abyssmal. Please let us complete all criteria at once, pretty please..

Servers = waiting to see what the custom servers / rent a servers can bring.
Right now the official dice servers for me in Sweden are giving me Ireland servers with wierd ping times when outside of conquest. Only game that does this, I usually have 20-30ms to germany / UK / netherlands in other games.

TLDR; there are small issues that Dice will probably fix in the long run - overall the series is at its peak again - spotting is reduced, more focus on individual skill and playing with friends is just the best feeling at the moment. Haven't felt like this about a game since BF2!

Generally good points. Here's my issues and response.

Shotguns clearly need to have their effective range reduced or damage reduced slightly as they are far too dominant given most of the maps live in relatively tight corridors where important positions are concerned.

As for AA... More powerful? Holy crap I mean I can down a bomber even in one overheat easily. Reducing their range is a no go because planes, especially bombers would just fly up and out of range. I was going to say modify the maps to give AA slightly more cover from sniper fire, make them larger so planes can actually see them well enough, but limit their turn speed. Don't remove the shake effect as it adds to the visceral nature and honestly they are already underespresentative in reality as is.

9ab11568f170b993e9a55eec055c5c58.jpg

Squad spawning is completely borked and needs to be looked at. Far too often you melee someone to death, shotgun etc and their squad mates spawn on top of you as they die. Leaving you completely vulnerable as often you are reloading or recovering from the animation still.

UI is as you said, on PC we can use the Battlefield site to change our load outs out of match, but it's ridiculous that we need to and doesn't work for many console owners.

Battle packs I'd like to see MVP, high scoring squad etc be rewarded with scraps and maybe then just keep the boxes as RNG.

Medal system is terrible. I don't even bother.

Just picked this up after I was getting hounded by friends and acquaintances to get it. Brilliant game and it itches my history buff ego at the same time.

I normally enjoy sniping but I can't seem to get headshots even when it seems i'm aiming straight at the head. What have they done to it? I hear they increase bullet velocity and bullet drops is now more severe.

Does that mean less needing to lead your shots I presume?

I'm having a hard time getting used to standard sniping without leading shots as well. It's just off even from something very realistic like Arma III which I spend a solid amount of time on. Maybe the projectiles are just a bit too fast. Seems normal leading like I do on the heavier weapons, planes etc doesn't really work for snipers at all.

As for history it lead me to read fairly extensively about the Sykes-Picot agreement something I had never learned about in school and we are getting very close to the 100 year anniversary. WW1 is so significant and at least here in the U.S it doesn't get anywhere near the coverage it should. This game doesn't really go into depth on anything though.

chiliboy

Shotguns clearly need to have their effective range reduced or damage reduced slightly as they are far too dominant given most of the maps live in relatively tight corridors where important positions are concerned.

As for AA... More powerful? Holy crap I mean I can down a bomber even in one overheat easily. Reducing their range is a no go because planes, especially bombers would just fly up and out of range. I was going to say modify the maps to give AA slightly more cover from sniper fire, make them larger so planes can actually see them well enough, but limit their turn speed. Don't remove the shake effect as it adds to the visceral nature and honestly they are already underespresentative in reality as is.

Squad spawning is completely borked and needs to be looked at. Far too often you melee someone to death, shotgun etc and their squad mates spawn on top of you as they die. Leaving you completely vulnerable as often you are reloading or recovering from the animation still.

UI is as you said, on PC we can use the Battlefield site to change our load outs out of match, but it's ridiculous that we need to and doesn't work for many console owners.

Battle packs I'd like to see MVP, high scoring squad etc be rewarded with scraps and maybe then just keep the boxes as RNG.

Yeah I get that shotguns are supposed to be really good at close range, currently they are just so strange. They kill to easily at range and sometimes at close range you hit someone straight on and only do like 51 dmg, like wtf? Agreed that Dice needs to look at them.

regarding the AA - I think the AA needs a slight nerf, but I'm unsure how they are going to do it. For example, if you are doing the operation Kaiserslacht, the AA is pretty easy to take care of and therefor you will be able to dominate the sky. On for example Monte Grappa or Fao fortress - you can lock down the sky so easily that it is not even funny.
On ballroom blitz I get taken down to 30ish hp on my airship before taking down the 5 AAs spread around the map (not including if they spawn with an AA truck at same time).

When I'm using AA as defender I keep the airspace clean waaaay to easy, its not even funny :/

also, I agree with the squad spawning. It happened to me 5 times yesterday. I encountered 1-3 enemies, clean them out and while reloading another one has spawned exactly as they die, leaving me to death. It seems the "under fire" mechanism is a bit borked.

Nerf shotguns, seriously? They only work half of the time at close range.

That's because you're aiming down the sights ;)

Not sure why people want a shotgun nerf. The BF4 shotguns with Flechette had two times the range of that.

It's not so much they need a Nerf I guess, chillboy actually had it right that the issue is viability of weapons currently and wonky behavior. The shotguns especially the 10-A at present though are just dominant forces. It's not unusual to see 50+% of a team as assault with shotguns. At least on PC. Maybe it doesn't need a Nerf but other weapons need buffs then to round it out. Especially medic weapons. They just can't hold their own. The mondragon maybe, but it's still far less effective than other classes weapons comparatively.

My most effective weapon and highest scoring one by a large margin are shotguns (I believe the community in general shares this statistic) and its not because I'm not landing shots with other weapons. I actually have quite good accuracy. The difference is I usually only need to land one shot maybe two with a shotgun.

*Splinter

If your team wasn't using your tanks then they would all be able to be selected for you to spawn in, assuming that your current spawn/flag/whatever has tanks. Either you aren't checking hard enough on your map (e.g. if everyone spawns in small Light Tanks) or your team just suicides them and all you can see is that annyoing x0 waiting for the respawn.
When tanks get abandoned (but not destroyed) they can sit around for ages without despawning and won't show on the map. It's annoying, especially in something like Rush were a single tank can break a choke point.

chiliboy

Not sure why people want a shotgun nerf. The BF4 shotguns with Flechette had two times the range of that.

Nerf shotguns, seriously? They only work half of the time at close range.

Read the posts, they should be balanced - not necessarily nerfed. They can easily do 90-100 dmg from afar, see the likes of 10-A Hunter.
they can also behave really wierd in close range and do abyssmal dmg sometimes even with head on dmg.

That's because you're aiming down the sights ;)

It's not so much they need a Nerf I guess, chillboy actually had it right that the issue is viability of weapons currently and wonky behavior. The shotguns especially the 10-A at present though are just dominant forces. It's not unusual to see 50+% of a team as assault with shotguns. At least on PC. Maybe it doesn't need a Nerf but other weapons need buffs then to round it out. Especially medic weapons. They just can't hold their own. The mondragon maybe, but it's still far less effective than other classes weapons comparatively.

My mist effective weapon and highest scoring one by a large margin are shotguns and its not because I'm not landing shots with other weapons. I actually had quite good accuracy. The different is I don't need to land nearly as many with shotguns. And if they are within 20-30 yards they are a single shot target often.

Exactly this! The shotguns just feel off when compared to other weapons. It also causes a lot of players to run around as assault with shotguns on maps like argonne, instead of being medics etc that can help the team more on modes like operations :(

XBP

I feel the M10 Hunter and Factory's recovery after each shot is too fast which makes them by far the best assult guns. The M10 slug is basically what the other two need to be like but with somewhat different uses. Right now each class has a best gun and playing anything other than that puts you at a big disadvantage.

I feel the M10 Hunter and Factory's recovery after each shot is too fast which makes them by far the best assult guns. The M10 slug is basically what the other two need to be like but with somewhat different uses. Right now each class has a best gun and playing anything other than that puts you at a big disadvantage.

Hellreigel and 10-A are God tier. I dread people with the Hellreigel.

Btw shotguns being OP as fuck is though crassly put, historically accurate. The Germans even went so far as to claim they were inhumane.

Soldiers With Trench Guns Will be Executed

The enemy didn't like the trench broom one bit. In September 1918, the German government issued a diplomatic protest, complaining that the Model 97 Trench Gun was illegal because “it is especially forbidden to employ arms, projections, or materials calculated to cause unnecessary suffering” as defined in the 1907 Hague Convention respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land. When the Americans rejected this, the German high command then threatened to execute any soldier caught with a Trench Gun or even just Trench Gun shells. General Pershing replied that, henceforth, any Germans caught with flamethrowers or saw-bladed bayonets would be lined up and shot. As far as is known, no American or German POWs were executed under such circumstances

The trench gun was known as the sweeper due to how devastating it was comparative to automatic weapons at the time.

terrible

Banned
Do war bonds just take forever to get? Feel like I've been playing a while (mostly TDM) and barely able to unlock any weapons and I have that issue where I never want to spend anything like good potions in RPGs ;)

They haven't balanced the XP you get for TDM well, that's all. You get a ton more in Conquest and Operations, maybe as much as two times more. You get more in Domination too. I haven't played other modes so can't comment on them. You got less XP in TDM in BF3 and BF4 too but it wasn't quite as dramatic.

So basically if you don't want it to take hours to level up you'll have to play other modes.

The Model 10 ist stupid strong but no fun to use IMO.

Yeah that's what I worry about. Magnum round shotguns in BC2 were OP as hell at one point but were pretty boring to use for me after the initial excitement wore off. DICE will probably nerf it before I get to that point though lol.

Oh come on.... Most sea maps already have players abusing fast rank glitch. You identify them by being on top of leaderboards with zero kills.

And so it begins.

Fuck Dice for nerfing classes ranks so bad that this grinding is now the best alternative.

Theorry

Uhh Hellriegel.

----

I dont know people always complain about shotguns in every game. Dont think the range is that good coming from BF4 flechette,
If you play correctly with a shotgun you can get easy kills. But still you not to work arround the map to come in that position. If you do that perfect you get rewarded.

Oh come on.... Most sea maps already have players abusing fast rank glitch. You identify them by being on top of leaderboards with zero kills.

And so it begins.

Fuck Dice for nerfing classes ranks so bad that this grinding is now the best alternative.

The people just blowing up boats?

chiliboy

Ow wow, at least it keeps the progress I made on my medals before it switched to this weeks, that's something nice about it at least. Now I'm still stuck on destroying 3 vehicles with K-bullets ...

I figured out the best way to do it :D use K-bullets to kill cavalry horses, it counts as 1 and they go down easy, doesn't matter where the horse is or if it has a rider or not! :D

Nodnol

I hope they don't touch the Martini-Henry.

Unlocked it Friday...nearly have my fourth service star.

It's so fun to use. Like the other snipers it's very situational...only the situation it's most at home with is the perfect distance for mid-range battles.

I play so aggressive, for a Scout, typically at the back of the front line, if that makes sense. I'm capping points, taking out snipers and really pushing the enemy more so than I would do with any other sniper. So. Much. Fun.

*Splinter

I figured out the best way to do it :D use K-bullets to kill cavalry horses, it counts as 1 and they go down easy, doesn't matter where the horse is or if it has a rider or not! :D
Well shit, that would have been a hell of a lot easier than what I went through -.-

I had to do the explosives medal last week. Last part of it is to get 5 kills in one life with "explosives".

Tanks don't count
Mortar doesn't count
AT cannon doesn't count
Field guns / AA guns don't count

So 5 kills in 1 life with a grenade, and 3 dynamite or 3 rifle grenades or 1 limpet + resupplies.

Yeah that was fun :/ several games focussed on sitting in a corner resupplying myself and throwing grenades. I actually had 5 kills in 1 grenade once, but of course that was before I did this medal. Seriously fuck this medal system.

OmegaX0

I actually had 5 kills in 1 grenade once, but of course that was before I did this medal. Seriously fuck this medal system.

There's so much wrong with the medal system. Having only 5 random ones a week, having to track a specific medal before it registers anything, having to do the challenges in a specific order, no easy way to see your current progress outside of a game.

It's like they went out of their way to make it as annoying as possible.

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member
I picked up the 'tank buster' special weapon the other day, found a small cubby hole and took a kill with every shot......was I proud to be playing that way? Nope......was it still awesome.....oh yes :D

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member
There's so much wrong with the medal system. Having only 5 random ones a week, having to track a specific medal before it registers anything, having to do the challenges in a specific order, no easy way to see your current progress outside of a game.

Yeah, I am sure they will change this.....it's a rubbish system for sure

XBP

Uhh Hellriegel.

----

I dont know people always complain about shotguns in every game. Dont think the range is that good coming from BF4 flechette,
If you play correctly with a shotgun you can get easy kills. But still you not to work arround the map to come in that position. If you do that perfect you get rewarded.

Anyone with a decent aim will one shot you with those shotguns before you can get enough hits.

-SG

For this week's reset, 3 of the 5 are the same as last week for me :/

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

the screen shaking would be fine its the damage and the part where it forces your plane to the ground you can't pull up from it or nothing you lose control and plummet

Theorry

Anyone with a decent aim will one shot you with those shotguns before you can get enough hits.

What range are we talking about?
The low rpm shotguns have also always been a high risk high reward. Your aim better be on point because you are probably are dead before you can fire a second time.

Dalibor68

Banned
Does anyone have experience with the Origin refund system? I'd like to test the performance because in the beta I've had constant drops to ~45fps and I think it might be because of my CPU (i5 3570k 3,4GHz).

Top Bottom