• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Surfinn

Monte Grappa is fast becoming my favorite map. I've had so many epic battles there, especially at B and D, and C flags. The triangle of death!

I used to hate this map because I'm a tank whore but man I'm having a damn fun time running between B and D to secure the higher ground for my team. Lots of fun.

terrible

Banned
The sound is good normally but I think it's glitched. Sometimes you get zero sound from someone shooting right beside you and stuff like that.

The Beard

Why does it seem like my squad is the only one accomplishing anything a lot of the time? I've had so many uneven matches where the only flags my team holds are the ones my squad just capped or are defending. What are the other 27 people even doing?

Alpende

Why does it seem like my squad is the only one accomplishing anything a lot of the time? I've had so many uneven matches where the only flags my team holds are the ones my squad just capped or are defending. What are the other 27 people even doing?

Sniping?

K/D >>>> PTFO amirite? need those noscope headshot montage!

WillyFive

DICE Stockholm is bottom tier studio when it comes to balancing and maintaining balance in their games. DICE LA was all over that shit and actively and rapidly maintained BF4 balance after fixing it.

Edit: I bet Stockholm leads BF1 balance. They didn't listen to feedback after Alpha. They didn't listen to feedback after Beta. They are barely listening now. Stockholm written all over it.

Yep.

Game needs a bunch of balancing changes, and hopefully the team that picked up BF4 will pick up BF1 as well. Those AA guns need to be nerfed fast.

CQ is quickly turning into flaming pile of garbage. Making KDR matter removed all comeback mechanics from it. If your team is 100-200 tickets down 5-10 minutes in then you are 100-200 tickets down 40 minutes in. In alpha and beta you at least could flip it by being better at holding caps even if your team didn't have squad of KDR 5+ farmers.

Yeah, Conquest seemed a lot better in the beta.

JDB

Banned
Not just sniping, but too many people take way too long taking pot-shots at people at medium to long range. Generally people are just too passive, even those that aren't sniping on a hill in a corner of the map. You need to be on the move and aggressive.

I wish more people understood in Operations when new points are up that is the time to bum rush the fuck out of a point. Don't be afraid to die they can't kill all of us.

I think it's because we don't have the continuum of super accurate automatic assault/carbine/machine guns that we had in BF3/4. Snipers got a buff, handguns/DMRs/shotguns stayed roughly the same, and therefore they all feel more powerful because without the assault/carbine/machine guns of BF3/4 they are more powerful relatively. Although TTK might have increased in BF1, the accuracy of most people "main" weapons have not.

I think it's this and the amount of guns compared to 3 and 4. People don't have their aek's or famas's to combat a shotgun user now. With dmr's, reduced ranges for smg's, new sniping mechanics people can't find ways to counter a shotgun user unless they use a shotgun themselves.

We also don't have squad perks anymore and the increased defense played a huge part in close quarters combat imo. There's also the takeaway of universal weapons so everybody can't always choose to be an assault player to combat a shotgun user.

I've found good useage with my 1918 hipfiring and destroying people. That seems to be my counter to shotgun users right now. 900 rpm in their faces should do the trick.

But I agree that they aren't as bad as BC2, BF3, and BF4's shotguns. Just be glad that there isn't frag rounds this time around.

The Beard

I think there's a lot of that going on. When I'm looking for a squad to join I skip over the ones with more than one sniper in them, which is like 75% of the squads. The other day, one squad had an open spot with 4 snipers, nope.

K/D >>>> PTFO amirite? need those noscope headshot montage!

I'm guessing that mostly what it is. People playing TDM in Conquest.

The Medal system really isn't helping anything. They're really encouraging solo TDM style play with these Medals.

I like to see more objectives along the lines of
"Capture 20 flags"
"Defend 20 flags"
"Get 50 resupplies/heals while capping/defending a flag"

And less of this
"Get 3 melee kills in one life"
"Get 5 melee kills in one round"
"Get 20 kills with the medic grenade launcher"

Giganteus

Not just sniping, but too many people take way too long taking pot-shots at people at medium to long range. Generally people are just too passive, even those that aren't sniping on a hill in a corner of the map. You need to be on the move and aggressive.
Especially on Operations; the majority of the time, attackers seem to play scared, as our ticket slowly slip away. It's weird, because the game kind of encourages you to rush in. They give you a bayonet charge, for crying out loud.

Why is no one into mass bayonet charges? How cool would that shit be? Too much coordination required, I guess, but it kind of shouldn't be required, if you think about it. Just do it in the heat of the moment.

terrible

Banned
I just clearly heard a tank moving to my left. Funny thing was the huge ass mountain between me and the tank. The sound is weird sometimes.

Once in a while I'll start spinning around trying to find the source of the footsteps near me and I'll see it's coming from a teammate about 30M away haha. Sounds sometimes don't appear when they should and other times they're way louder than you'd expect considering how far away the source is. Hopefully DICE figures it out, if not I can deal with it though. BF1 still has better sound than most shooters.

Especially on Operations; the majority of the time, attackers seem to play scared, as our ticket slowly slip away. It's weird, because the game kind of encourages you to rush in. They give you a bayonet charge, for crying out loud.

Why is no one into mass bayonet charges? How cool would that shit be? Too much coordination required, I guess, but it kind of shouldn't be required, if you think about it. Just do it in the heat of the moment.

I sort of wish the game didn't even keep track of deaths. Count kills only or something. Maybe that would keep people from being so afraid of dying.

JDB

Banned
I think there's a lot of that going on. When I'm looking for a squad to join I skip over the ones with more than one sniper in them, which is like 3/4 of them. The other day, one squad had an open spot with 4 snipers, nope.

I'm guessing that mostly what it is. People playing TDM in Conquest.

The Medal system really isn't helping anything. They're really encouraging solo TDM style play with these Medals.

I like to see more objectives along the lines of
"Capture 20 flags"
"Defend 20 flags"
"Get 50 resupplies/heals while capping/defending a flag"

And less of this
"Get 3 melee kills in one life"
"Get 5 melee kills in one round"
"Get 20 kills with the medic grenade launcher"
Yeah, the medals - even beyond the way they're implemented - are staggeringly poorly set up. Stuff like 'get 5 revolver kills in one life' and 'get 5 squad assists counts as kills' don't promote any sort of positive behavior. It wouldn't be as bad if the medals worked like in the other BF games, but now you have it's reinforced every week that you need to get the medals. This way people are much more likely to go out of their way to get them instead of trying to win a match.

64 player Operations is especially rough because you've pretty much lost if you don't capture or at least contest the objective in the first rush. You burn through lives insanely fast.

I wish more people understood in Operations when new points are up that is the time to bum rush the fuck out of a point. Don't be afraid to die they can't kill all of us.

Yo, give up the dream of mildly competent players. It'll never happen.

These are your teammates:
giphy.gif

CQ is quickly turning into flaming pile of garbage. Making KDR matter removed all comeback mechanics from it. If your team is 100-200 tickets down 5-10 minutes in then you are 100-200 tickets down 40 minutes in. In alpha and beta you at least could flip it by being better at holding caps even if your team didn't have squad of KDR 5+ farmers.

I dunno, I've had a couple come backs from being down 100-200 points in CQ, some near misses too. I know what you mean, though. In CQ you really have to focus on capturing the points, and as you say most people are just playing TDM which is not good.

Tovarisc

I dunno, I've had a couple come backs from being down 100-200 points in CQ, some near misses too. I know what you mean, though. In CQ you really have to focus on capturing the points, and as you say most people are just playing TDM which is not good.

What I'm saying is that if enemy team has better KDR farmers that team will maintain lead and eventually win match even if you were able to constantly hold 1 cap more, but unable to outset KDR farms impact on tickets.

CaptNink

Might be a dumb question, but here it goes: what should I set the audio to? I'm using my tv's speakers, so "Medium Speakers"?

Is there really any difference?

Might be a dumb question, but here it goes: what should I set the audio to? I'm using my tv's speakers, so "Medium Speakers"?

I think it adjusts the dynamic range of the sound. For built-in TV speakers I would think Small Speakers would be the best setting, unless they're really great speakers.

Tovarisc

It literally doesn't matter. Even between Headphones ("HiFi") and WarTapes (bass for days) there is next to no difference.

Acinixys

The entire scoring system and the way the scoreboard works in all BF games is hot garbage

In CQ the whole point is to cap and defend flags. But does it show any of that info on the score screen? Nope, only K/D

Its extremely annoying that devs pander to the lowest common denominator. If you love jerking it to your KD so much go play CoD

Theorry

I'm not denying that shotguns were technically more powerful in previous games, I'm just saying they were never a problem like they seem to be now. You don't weapon balance based on theory, you balance based on practice.

But the problem is more i think because there are less weapons in the game so people faster go to a shotgun. And some maps and flags are suited for it. So you come across more shotguns So you feel faster that they are to strong because of their one hit kill change. So the option is really imo more guns or make the guns abit more different from eachother. Just try to say that nerfing the shotgun isnt really a solution. You only would kill it probably like to what happens so many time with shotguns in games. In in result it makes another gun less usefull in a already thin choice of weapons.

But the problem is more i think because there are less weapons in the game so people faster go to a shotgun. So you come across more shotguns So you feel faster that they are to strong because of their one hit kill change. So the option is really imo more guns or make the guns abit more different from eachother. Just try to say that nerfing the shotgun isnt really a solution. You only would kill it probably like to what happens so many time with shotguns in games. In in result it makes another gun less usefull in a already thin choice of weapons.

I agree.

But shotgun people are bad people, and they deserve it.

kiguel182

I did a 40 man Operation and yeah, it feels much better than the meat-grinder that the 64 man is.

I had an awful squad so it kinda sucked the fun out of it but overall it was a much more pleasant experience.

thejpfin

Monte grappa Operations as attacking side, shit is hard.
How do you get inside that damn bunker when the whole enemy team is there and half of your teammates are camping top of the zeppelin with sniper kit. Sigh.

I've never used a shotgun yet and I really want to.
Try Model 10 Hunter, it's decent.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Monte grappa Operations as attacking side, shit is hard.
How do you get inside that damn bunker when the whole enemy team is there and half of your teammates are camping top of the zeppelin with sniper kit. Sigh.

I haven't done this yet but I wonder if coordinated smoke grenade spam by every single person on the attacking team at roughly the same time would overwhelm the defense and help overtake the bunkers.

Hobbes211

How do people feel about Fao Fortress?

Overall I'd say it's the worst map of the bunch. I used to think Suez was the worst this time around but at least there's something going on and it's a fast paced game. Fao feels huge and empty. Rarely does the combat move past B, E and F. The Dreadnought also doesn't help that map out at all because it's easily the most underpowered event in the game and a few people in boats can take it down fairly quickly.

Must say i prefer to have a people in my squad with a shotgun then another useless sniper in the mountain. ;)

A good sniper that's frequently spotting and taking out people or wittling them down is very very helpful tho. I think it's unfortunate that the majority of people assume you aren't helping the team if you are a scout.

Sometimes I play an aggressive push/objective style with the Lawrence of Arabia and get called out for "being a worthless scout." It's really annoying lol

Try Model 10 Hunter, it's decent.

Thanks. And yeah I understand with that B bunker. Sometimes you simply have no chance if your teammates aren't all piling on top of the bunker. It's literally impossible otherwise.

Theorry

A good sniper that's frequently spotting and taking out people or wittling them down is very very helpful tho. I think it's unfortunate that the majority of people assume you aren't helping the team if you are a scout.

Sometimes I play an aggressive push/objective style with the Lawrence of Arabia and get called out for "being a worthless scout." It's really annoying lol

Oh those are fine. He i even play that. Putting flares on the flag etc,
Said also. Sitting in the mountains. You know wich one i mean haha,
Last night i played Fao and G was out home flag and on the base there was a sniper watching G the whole time haha. Wich was never contested lol but he stayed there all matches. Ended 1-0 and something like 1000 points..

Orcus

Overall I'd say it's the worst map of the bunch. I used to think Suez was the worst this time around but at least there's something going on and it's a fast paced game. Fao feels huge and empty. Rarely does the combat move past B, E and F. The Dreadnought also doesn't help that map out at all because it's easily the most underpowered event in the game and a few people in boats can take it down fairly quickly.
I don't know, Fao isn't my favorite map for sure, but I can still find fun each time I play it.

My main strategy is to pretend like F and G do not exist and focus on keeping B, C, and D capped. I love playing around F and G, but it just takes way too many resource since there is at least 10-20 people there at all times. I can almost always take any of the other points with a three man squad, but taking F& G with a full squad can be a crapshoot sometimes.

I haven't done this yet but I wonder if coordinated smoke grenade spam by every single person on the attacking team at roughly the same time would overwhelm the defense and help overtake the bunkers.

It's not impossible, but jesus, I had the worst opponents yesterday, to the point where I think it needs some kind of balance change.

There are basically 2 entrances to the bunker, and the enemy team was SPAMMING GRENADES NON STOP. There was zero way you could even get NEAR the damn door, because grenades were being chucked out non stop by a coordinating team.

This resulted in like 10 people standing at the door and hesitating to go in, occassionally getting killed by all kinds of nades.

It's downright ridiculous.

Supposedly you can cap it if your team stands above the bunker, but good luck trying to get your team to do that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Tracked Medals are all sorts of fucked up on PS4 today. It keeps going back and forth between this week's tracked medals and last weeks.

Surfinn

I'm also in the camp of "cap and hold flags first and foremost".. and that K/D should have a minimal impact on the game.

The entire point of having classes, vehicles and squadmates is to play the objectives using various skillsets and strategies. Otherwise what's the point? Team DM is boring as hell.

CHC

It's my least favorite map. I don't particularly like the fort, it's just not very convincing or interesting to take a hold of, and it also fosters bad camping practices too. It's also the ugliest map - very boring and monochromatic color palette. And I say this as someone who loves the Sinai Desert map's aesthetics.

Surfinn

It's my least favorite map. I don't particularly like the fort, it's just not very convincing or interesting to take a hold of, and it also fosters bad camping practices too. It's also the ugliest map - very boring and monochromatic color palette. And I say this as someone who loves the Sinai Desert map's aesthetics.

I've gotta agree here. It encourages people to camp out in the fortress yet 90% of the time I play this map, one team ends up holding JUST THOSE TWO points and fail to cap any others, resulting in an easy loss. They're too disconnected from the rest of the map and there's just no central focus. You can easily let those points go and win the game every time if you have a decent team.

Top Bottom