• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

RoKKeR

Well, today is Battlefield's last day running full steam ahead without CoD in its way. Looks like it has been averaging well over 500k peak concurrent players across all platforms each day, which is pretty damn impressive. We'll see how the numbers shake out after COD drops tomorrow.

olimpia84

So you can't have more than one weapon type? I finally got to rank 2 with the recon class....boy what a pain. Never touching that class again unless you can have a different type of weapon as your primary like, you know, BC2, BF3 and BF4. I loathe playing with a sniper rifle but love playing as a recon....if you guys have played with me in the past you know what I mean.

Heavy tanks can be so absurdly overpowered sometimes... What the hell was DICE thinking with the instant repair bullshit? Being able to repair without leaving your tank is bad enough, even as slow as it is, but the instant repair ability is so uncalled for.

And in case you're wondering, no, I'm not crying because I just got killed a few times by a tank. As a matter of fact, it's the complete opposite. I just went on a 38-0 rampage on St. Quentin Scar before leaving the match early out of sheer boredom. The only time I was ever in danger was when an entire squad got so pissed off at me, they singled me out with three AT-equipped Assaults and two Medics that would revive them almost instantly every time I took them out. Even then, I was always able to kill them or escape before they could destroy me just because I kept my distance and abused the instant repair ability like crazy. There was literally almost nothing they could do to stop me. I genuinely felt bad about it.

I guess it certainly didn't help that their team's tank drivers were incompetent (I destroyed like 3 or 4 tanks during my rampage even in situations in which they should've had an advantage). Still, I really don't agree with how tanks are balanced at all, Heavies in particular. I get that they're supposed to be the toughest tanks out there, but for the love of god, the instant repair ability HAS to go. I don't care what anyone says, it's completely unnecessary and makes it way too easy to keep your tank going even when you're taking a beating.

Why did DICE even stray from the "exit vehicle to repair" mechanic to begin with? It worked perfectly: If you played really well, your tank could help your team make big pushes. If, however, you were ever caught in a bad spot, you were always forced to make yourself extremely vulnerable by hopping out and standing around the tank during the entire repair process.

Sometimes I just don't understand what DICE was thinking with these decisions. For me, it's right up there with the decision to neuter bullet drop to the point of it being a non-factor. Ugh...

julrik

- Squad leaders who don't give orders
- Camping snipers
- People who don't play the objectives
- Medics who don't revive
- People who skip to spawn when dead, just as I'm running over to revive them
- People who don't even bother with taking out tanks
- People who don't unlock their squads

yV5xcSTmtVPBS.gif

Machina

Banned
- Squad leaders who don't give orders
- Camping snipers
- People who don't play the objectives
- Medics who don't revive
- People who skip to spawn when dead, just as I'm running over to revive them
- People who don't even bother with taking out tanks
- People who don't unlock their squads

yV5xcSTmtVPBS.gif

Agreed with all of this. I hate when reviews cause the casual scrubs to come running

Just ended a game with a full squad of 8. 6 of us gaffers.

Absolute destruction and a zero tickets win on kaiserslacht.

3 out of 3 and topping the leader board every time

We are gaf. We are many.

Luvs_2_Squidge for anyone else on ps4 interested.

See you tomorrow at ten lads

I'm guessing this is PS4 GAF...

Where's all the PC GAFFERS? I'd love to have people to squad up with...That's something I miss from being on console plenty of people to squad with at anytime lol

Could use some friends on PC, origin name is Jburton100 (I know, it sucks ... Big Trouble fan and so many version where already taken).

Feel free to add, I play the objective and the class (spot, resupply, heal and revive etc).

Also somewhat decent as a dive bomber in the fighter.

Added

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Exhibit A on why Battlefront's Hero Classes being in Battlefield is not a good idea:

Literally did a perfect due to my team resupplying me and healing me. Was MVP until the two above me took the initiative to arm the crates.

You can basically soak up punishment and the only weakness is no gas grenade protection. If you GTFO of the gas clouds, have a team that knows to heal you and resupplies you you're basically death incarnate. Also went against their Heavy Gunner (the LMG Hero) and burned him alive was he was pinging me to death while I was on a healbox and at the edge of the flamethrower's throwing range. I felt bad for him, but I mean... they shouldn't be in Rush (or really in BF in general)

So you can't have more than one weapon type? I finally got to rank 2 with the recon class....boy what a pain. Never touching that class again unless you can have a different type of weapon as your primary like, you know, BC2, BF3 and BF4. I loathe playing with a sniper rifle but love playing as a recon....if you guys have played with me in the past you know what I mean.

If you have the Lawrence of Arabia stuff from the Deluxe/Ultimate: his his SMLE. It doesn't get a scope attached to it. So you can kinda use it as an assault bolt-action sniper. It's kinda ballsy, but if you get used to it and sit at mid-range, you're not basically a sniper and can support your team.

Exhibit A on why Battlefront's Hero Classes being in Battlefield is not a good idea:

Literally did a perfect due to my team resupplying me and healing me. Was MVP until the two above me took the initiative to arm the crates.

You can basically soak up punishment and the only weakness is no gas grenade protection. If you GTFO of the gas clouds, have a team that knows to heal you and resupplies you you're basically death incarnate. Also went against their Heavy Gunner (the LMG Hero) and burned him alive was he was pinging me to death while I was on a healbox and at the edge of the flamethrower's throwing range. I felt bad for him, but I mean... they shouldn't be in Rush (or really in BF in general)

Yea Hero classes should've stayed in Star Wars. Pisses me off whenever I run into one and I'm pretty much powerless against them. Add in additional enemies and it's impossible to kill the hero.

On the 40 or 64 players game modes, I feel they are alright. But the smaller modes..NOPE!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
On the 40 or 64 players game modes, I feel they are alright. But the smaller modes..NOPE!

No, dear. Even in those modes if you play carefully you can basically stay alive the entire round. It's dumb as fuck.

The blimp/ship is also dumb as fuck. I have no clue why DICE thought they were a good idea, but I wish they'd get rid of them. 64 only raises the chances that someone will take you out. But 40 player is the same as 24 player modes. You can pick up a kit in Operations 40-player and basically keep it the entire round. If your team resupplies you as a tank hunter and you're good with it it's basically "GG" to the enemy tanks. Flamethrower is only weak in open areas, but most of the time it's not on open maps (Senai Desert being the only one that I know of that does it first set unless that changed). LMG can be good, but it's weird ass bullet throwing kinda makes it the weakest of the three.

PrinceKee

Can anyone tell me the secret to staying alive? I don't rush and think I play well as a teammate and as a medic, but I find myself dying so much in Battlefield. I'm getting shot from every direction and rarely see who kills me. Also how the hell do I get war bucks besides leveling up. I really want a new weapon for my medic...

terrible

Banned

If you have the Lawrence of Arabia stuff from the Deluxe/Ultimate: his his SMLE. It doesn't get a scope attached to it. So you can kinda use it as an assault bolt-action sniper. It's kinda ballsy, but if you get used to it and sit at mid-range, you're not basically a sniper and can support your team.

Those and the behemoth. No clue what DICE was thinking.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can anyone tell me the secret to staying alive? I don't rush and think I play well as a teammate and as a medic, but I find myself dying so much in Battlefield. I'm getting shot from every direction and rarely see who kills me. Also how the hell do I get war bucks besides leveling up. I really want a new weapon for my medic...

Welcome to Battlefield where you are going to die...a lot. Just keep playing and you will get the hang of it. Leveling is the only way to get War Bonds...sorry.

nelchaar

Played the Oil of Empire twice now where the attacking team just camps at their base and snipes or shoots with tanks without making an effort to take any sectors. Is this a new thing? Good lord is it boring.

Also, how do you take out the blimp, train, dreadnaught?

No, dear. Even in those modes if you play carefully you can basically stay alive the entire round. It's dumb as fuck.

The blimp/ship is also dumb as fuck. I have no clue why DICE thought they were a good idea, but I wish they'd get rid of them. 64 only raises the chances that someone will take you out. But 40 player is the same as 24 player modes. You can pick up a kit in Operations 40-player and basically keep it the entire round. If your team resupplies you as a tank hunter and you're good with it it's basically "GG" to the enemy tanks. Flamethrower is only weak in open areas, but most of the time it's not on open maps (Senai Desert being the only one that I know of that does it first set unless that changed). LMG can be good, but it's weird ass bullet throwing kinda makes it the weakest of the three.
On those modes, I never had a problem with the elite classes. But once you do mention it, I agree. Just played a few matches where my friend would get the tank hunter. I kept giving him ammo and he wrecked the match without dying since he picked up the tank hunter kit.

Stay in cover, open ground is asking to be sniped. Stay with your squad (if they actually work together)

Played the Oil of Empire twice now where the attacking team just camps at their base and snipes or shoots with tanks without making an effort to take any sectors. Is this a new thing? Good lord is it boring.

Also, how do you take out the blimp, train, dreadnaught?
This video will help

Could someone add me to the ps4 bf1 gaf community? PSN minibossbattle
done.

edit:
Add me also PrinceKee. I need to play with some Jedi's...
done as well.

Perfect, thanks. How about the dreadnought?
Your AT rocket gun can hit the airship if you are close enough. Also Motor HE are good for taking out the train. Since you can fire from a distance away and most of the time, the train will not get you. For the dreadnought, those boats, bomber with torpedos (RIP since you will prob die flying in) and the field guns can do work. But getting the right arc for the field gun is a pain IMO.

Just lie down as soon as you spawn and wriggle everywhere like snake. Never stand up under any circumstances. Standing is very advanced skill.

Olengie

Can I get an add to the PS4 community as well? PSN TehAmazingTurtle

Dat moment when you feel like you're the only one targeting the Tanks.

But then it feels good when you see some of your teammates actually focus fire the tanks and quickly take them out.

Well damn, Argonne Forest is absolutely shit for Rush. Love it for Conquest, hate it for Rush.
I don't know, I kind of like the intensity it brings. It's a bit of a meat grinder, but it feels appropriate for the setting. We had a very tough go of it last night on the last few Telegraphs, but the feeling when we finally got there (with zero tickets left!) was amazing, and what Rush is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM54mO9kd4Q

The initial load time when you're loading up a game from booting your PC takes several minutes for me. I have a SSD but haven't moved it over yet.

Anyone else only able to consistently connect to matches by enabling DMZ on your router?

I tried forwarding the ports EA uses but that didn't seem to help =/

It's weird, don't have this issue with any other PS4 game

A bayonet charge is a OHK on them.
This. And you can still knife them from behind (or the front if you are good) like every other soldier. You call also use gas grenades on Sentry's and AFAIR tank hunters, they die as fast as normal soldiers to that... but don't have any gas masks.

I'm more afraid of people abusing Instant Repair tanks or a whole team running around with Jesus 10A in any smaller game mode.

Ihyll

Coming from CoD Everytime someone throws a grenade towards me I keep tapping X so I can jump-boost back

So far I'm loving the game though

Machina

Banned
I have a declaration to make: the 1903 Marksman is by far the best sniper in the game. Torso shot guaranteed 80 damage, so swap to sidearm at close range to finish the job.

Love that gun.

Xyber

While I definitely wouldn't mind if Elite classes were removed entirely, I think the complaints about them being OP are silly.

If the other team lets someone run with flamethrower the whole game, that's completely on them. As soon as we see an Elite class, my squad focus him down right away either by just shooting from a distance, rushing with bayonets or flanking around him for the knife kill. It really isn't hard at all if you just use some teamwork.

Exactly the same argument goes for tanks (but I agree that the instant repair on the heavy tank is insanely good).

chiliboy

Could use some friends on PC, origin name is Jburton100 (I know, it sucks ... Big Trouble fan and so many version where already taken).

Feel free to add, I play the objective and the class (spot, resupply, heal and revive etc).

Also somewhat decent as a dive bomber in the fighter.

Any PC Gaf people want to squad up? Add me on Origin (gross). novais350

I ptfo and work well with others ;)

Hello lovely people :D add me on origin, steelchiliboy.
Please go and download discord and go to the first page of this OT, there you can find information on how to join the Neogaf discord. We are a bunch of people that play the game almost every evening together with microphones - so much fun!

ValfarHL

Hello lovely people :D add me on origin, steelchiliboy.
Please go and download discord and go to the first page of this OT, there you can find information on how to join the Neogaf discord. We are a bunch of people that play the game almost every evening together with microphones - so much fun!

So much fun indeed!
I haven't found the time to play with you guys at all this week. :'(

Top Bottom