• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Ihyll

Anyone else here hate conquest? Half of the time I don't even know what's going on or where I'm being shot from

The magazine is still in the grip, it's just fed with the metal clip and then discarded. Basically its a one-piece magazine thats integrated into the grip - the bullets don't sit up like that.
Ah, so like the Mauser C96 then. My bad, actually thought the bullets were supposed to sit up there xD (should have taken a look at the slide of the gun first, it's pretty obvious that it's dry, damn you small smartphone screen!).

This is me when I'm not playing with friends even though I still think just as highly about the game as I did at release :(

I wonder if it's simply the lack of meaningful progression. I also think the garbage medal system is part of it too. I hate that I might need those things to keep me motivating when I enjoy the game but that might be the reality.

For me it's the damn class unlock system or as you said, the progression system. It is taking way too long to reach the next level. All the weapons I've unlocked so far are cool (and stupid lol) and they all have their purpose but, to me, it seems like I've been spoiled by the ways BF3 & 4 did things. Everything just feels slower to unlock compared to 3 & 4 and I can't come to terms with it.

I actually don't know what I prefer now: dmrs vs full auto weapons. Modern era vs world war setting? I, for the life of me, cannot use dmrs. I prefer fully automatic weapons.

BF3 & 4 I was always switching weapons because I love variety and it didn't matter if we were losing or not. In BF1 I just feel limited. It doesn't help that DICE went backwards with their controls for PS4 (too used to R1 and L1).

Assault is my preferred class right now with the bae, the Automatico. I have the 1907 Sweeper and love it. The MG for the support. Scout is the only class I rarely play.

It's still a damn good game though.

Another great night last night UK gaf.

Currently 12-3 on operations with two of those losses coming from conquer hell.

We managed to take oil of empires attacking in one life.... that's incredible. The tactics were on point.

Hopefully more tonight but sad news.... MC hammer will not be available..

Anyone else here hate conquest? Half of the time I don't even know what's going on or where I'm being shot from
I've always felt that way. Never felt like I could get in a groove or stay alive for a significant amount of time. Operations saved this game/series for me by directing the action in one way but also giving you a huge space to play in within the area. It also feels like my team/squad is actually accomplishing something over time instead of just a number counting down for 30 minutes.

I get why people might not care for Operations but when I see it referred to as a clusterfuck or mess I just get confused.

bosseye

Some people. Playing operations on Empires Edge, attacking the little stone tower at the top of the hill (not the main castle, the other one along the ridge) - so me and a couple of guys push up and start capturing, along with maybe 7-8 other guys, start capturing the point and then all these other guys, every single one, all presumably playing scout abandon the half captured objective and head left into the hills. There they sit, a cluster of blue dots half a mile away sniping the objective rather than making any attempt to capture it. So of course we can't get that one and we lose. Good fucking game chaps, hope those few headshots were worth it.

I'm a huge fan of operations,my only issue is if you're on a poor team attacking you never get past the first map, or end up with a single 'life' to do all fronts on the next map. It means half the time.i never see Argonne Forest or get anyway in Amiens. I want to play all the maps*, why pair them up?

*except Suez. Not sure why, but I really don't like this map. Partly because it all feels so anonymous and non descript.

bosseye

So tonight I learned the Italian Operations is broken. No way into the bunkers means you can't clear them out.

Nah, dynamite and blow the bloody doors off. I like the change in dynamic on Grappa, winkling the other team out of a bunker is a lot of fun. Grenade spammy I guess, so much gas, but enjoyably chaotic. My main tactic is a bayonet charge though the carnage, if I get lucky and get in it's dynamite everywhere and suicide boooooom ideally clearing space for my team to push in behind (and revive me hopefully....)

bosseye

Haven't dipped into operations yet, how does it flow/work in terms of being different than Conquest?

I much prefer the flow and the more direct directions to the objective - you're all playing on the same front so for the most part the enemy is in front of you (with some wriggle room to the sides). It's less unpredictable, more structured than Conquest for example where it's very hard to tell where you might get attacked from.

Plus you get the epic score and the attack whistles and so on, very atmospheric.

The Dude

I much prefer the flow and the more direct directions to the objective - you're all playing on the same front so for the most part the enemy is in front of you (with some wriggle room to the sides). It's less unpredictable, more structured than Conquest for example where it's very hard to tell where you might get attacked from.

Plus you get the epic score and the attack whistles and so on, very atmospheric.

Cool, and how do the maps and or areas work... Just select an area and battle? Not on it now to check, but will tomorrow

The answer is being shot from snipers everywhere. Ruin the game.

I hope private servers don't become unranked for disabling sniper rifles. Good option but nobody gonna use it if unranked because nobody gonna play unranked.

What? Blow the doors off. You also don't even need to go inside to cap that point.

Was defending and had about 12 guys in there just shooting and grenading the exits. Attackers couldn't get enough on the spawn to tip the balance without conceding the other point . All 3 attacks and did the same thing.

bosseye

Cool, and how do the maps and or areas work... Just select an area and battle? Not on it now to check, but will tomorrow

Start at one end and push along the map front by front. So Grappa for example, attackers start on the far left, their objective is take the church. Defenders spawn opposite and defend the church. If the church falls, the objectives A and B move along the map to a new sector and that becomes the new front. If that falls, then the objectives fall back again to another sector (A in the tunnel, B on the mountain) and so on and so on. Its kind of like Rush I suppose, but 64 player count (or 40 of you prefer) makes it very epic at times. It's a more structured experience mostly pushing forward or defending a rush of the enemy suddenly making a concerted effort on one point and so on, but with room to flank to an extent and because everyone is attacking only 1, 2 or 3 points, it forces everyone together a bit so you get some amazing moments. Also when you take a sector it highlights where all the enemies remaining in that sector are so you all get to gang up on that sniper who has been lying around on the edge of the map.

I was always Conquest until I tried this mode, love it. My only issue is the map rotation or lack thereof.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Conquest is the guts of Battlefield. It's literally what I play the series for.

julrik

I have a few questions:

- I've seen people talking about auto aim in the game, and it having two options. What are people rocking? I haven't changed it from default. I've only fiddled with the sensitivity settings and enabled Uniform Aiming so far. I'm on PS4 btw.

- Assault: What's the consensus on MP18 vs Automatico? I've seen several recommending the Automatico, but I haven't come to grips with the recoil yet. Which versions of the two are "the best"? MP18 Trench and Automatico Storm?

- Medic: I've had the most luck with the M1907 Sweeper and the Autoloader 8. Extended so far, I think. Is one of these mainly considered better than the other? I really can't choose between them. I've seen several recommend the Mondragon Storm as well, but can't seem to come to grips with that one either. Should I play with it more to get better with it - is it worth it?

bosseye

I have a few questions:

- I've seen people talking about auto aim in the game, and it having two options. What are people rocking? I haven't changed it from default. I've only fiddled with the sensitivity settings and enabled Uniform Aiming so far. I'm on PS4 btw.

- Assault: What's the consensus on MP18 vs Automatico? I've seen several recommending the Automatico, but I haven't come to grips with the recoil yet

I like the Automatico, I think I'm using the Storm version as it seems to have the best green bar stats. I seem to do better with that gun than the MP18 anyway. Also it has a higher RoF and goes BRRRRAPP which makes me happy.

Nah, dynamite and blow the bloody doors off. I like the change in dynamic on Grappa, winkling the other team out of a bunker is a lot of fun. Grenade spammy I guess, so much gas, but enjoyably chaotic. My main tactic is a bayonet charge though the carnage, if I get lucky and get in it's dynamite everywhere and suicide boooooom ideally clearing space for my team to push in behind (and revive me hopefully....)
That only works if the defenders are completely braindead.

Theorry

Is it me or is DICE trying to kill Rush?
I mean Operations is quite similar and imo more fun. Even friends i know why always play Rush in BF are now only playing Operations. :p

Maybe a more passive playstyle would help? stay with your squad, check your surroundings, use the mini map ( sometimes it is useful) , prone a lot when taking a flag, use cover AND ////be aware which flags your team has taken so you can be pretty sure from what direction enemy fire is not to be expected! //// That's an important one I d say. The other things are pretty obvious, but still...

By the way, why oh way can't you look back when Flying a plane. At least to a certain degree over your shoulder.

Mugenjin

- Medic: I've had the most luck with the M1907 Sweeper and the Autoloader 8. Extended so far, I think. Is one of these mainly considered better than the other? I really can't choose between them. I've seen several recommend the Mondragon Storm as well, but can't seem to come to grips with that one either. Should I play with it more to get better with it - is it worth it?

I prefer the Autoloading 8 Extended because of the higher rate of fire and it's arguably the best close quarters medic rifle.

As much as I like the Mondragon myself there is really no reason to use it over the Selbstlader M1916 since the Selbstlader uses magazines and has a bigger capacity. The Mondragon has slightly higher rate of fire but it also has higher spread increase per shot so there goes that advantage.

In the end I switch between those 3 weapons myself depending on the map and I'm primarily a medic player (over a million score only with medic).

By the way, why oh way can't you look back when Flying a plane. At least to a certain degree over your shoulder.

There is freelook (atleast on PC). I rebound it to alt and works fine when in 1st person.

Theorry

I prefer the Autoloading 8 Extended because of the higher rate of fire and it's arguably the best close quarters medic rifle.

As much as I like the Mondragon myself there is really no reason to use it over the Selbstlader M1916 since the Selbstlader uses magazines and has a bigger capacity. The Mondragon has slightly higher rate of fire but it also has higher spread increase per shot so there goes that advantage.

In the end I switch between those 3 weapons myself depending on the map and I'm primarily a medic player (over a million score only with medic).

They have the same spread increase.
I like the less recoil version also for the Mondragon.

Trojan

I have a few questions:

- Assault: What's the consensus on MP18 vs Automatico? I've seen several recommending the Automatico, but I haven't come to grips with the recoil yet. Which versions of the two are "the best"? MP18 Trench and Automatico Storm?

The Seb 1916 is my medic gun of choice. That thing is a beast. Depends on your play style though, I'm mid-range so it's perfect for that and I use a 1.5x magnification.

Theorry

I really like the flying in this game. It has been made easier so even i can now just stay in in the air and do something usefull. Loved the attack plane yesterday on Monte Grappa Operations. The last sections with the castle. Just doing flyovers dropping bombs and contsant dropping flares. Got a ton of spot assists for that. I believe alot of people dont even know the default attack plane has spotting flares. Never see them drop it.

TheContact

I'd like to see more operations, maybe from earlier in the war or at least a French vs German scenario. Listening to Dan Carlins hardcore history podcast on WW1 has taught me so much information i never knew about ww1. What a fucked up war but the battles are so interesting.

Jb

I really like the flying in this game. It has been made easier to even i can now just stay in in the air and do something usefull. Loved the attack plane yesterday on Monte Grappa Operations. The last sections with the castle. Just doing flyovers dropping bombs and contsant dropping flares. Got a ton of spot assists for that. I believe alot of people dont even know the default attack plane has spotting flares. Never see them drop it.

...I actually had no idea what the point of the flares was in a game without lock-on rockets launchers. I feel pretty stupid now.

I assume a lot of people are new to the series, situation awareness in general is pretty bad, can't even count on teammates to cover my reloads/healing.

Ukgaf has white washed iron walls both times we've attacked it. We've also held the enemy both times we've defended before even getting to the bbunkers. It's the easiest map.

That was a great session last night. So good to play with a group instead of randoms. They couldn't even take the church at point 1 in the alps when we defended, and I got to level my medic up 2 ranks with all the heal boxes and revives.

I should be up for a game tonight if you'll all be on again. Should be able to use my mic more as well.

atpbx

Some people. Playing operations on Empires Edge, attacking the little stone tower at the top of the hill (not the main castle, the other one along the ridge) - so me and a couple of guys push up and start capturing, along with maybe 7-8 other guys, start capturing the point and then all these other guys, every single one, all presumably playing scout abandon the half captured objective and head left into the hills. There they sit, a cluster of blue dots half a mile away sniping the objective rather than making any attempt to capture it. So of course we can't get that one and we lose. Good fucking game chaps, hope those few headshots were worth it.

I'm a huge fan of operations,my only issue is if you're on a poor team attacking you never get past the first map, or end up with a single 'life' to do all fronts on the next map. It means half the time.i never see Argonne Forest or get anyway in Amiens. I want to play all the maps*, why pair them up?

*except Suez. Not sure why, but I really don't like this map. Partly because it all feels so anonymous and non descript.

If you are playing with people who don't understand how operations is meant to be played the yes, it can suck to be you.

However most players (on PC anyway) seem to understand that as soon as that whistle goes you run like fuck to the objectives and just keep pushing.

If half your team are fucking around sniping or mortaring the objectives you are wasting your time playing as you are not going anywhere.

If you are playing with people who don't understand how operations is meant to be played the yes, it can suck to be you.

However most players (on PC anyway) seem to understand that as soon as that whistle goes you run like fuck to the objectives and just keep pushing.

If half your team are fucking around sniping or mortaring the objectives you are wasting your time playing as you are not going anywhere.
I don't know man, mortars can be a pain in the ass for the opposite team.

I honestly don't blame people who avoid the objective. I do go right for the flags, but it can be really frustrating to just die over and over again to snipers and bombs from planes and the dreadnought and every other thing you cant even see. About half of the player base just lobs shit at the flag from afar, so it sort of makes you feel like a sucker when you actually play the objective.

CHC

I also felt like Conquest was just total insanity until I played it more. It's not. You need to learn the maps and the common routes and hedge your bets based off that.

Like, if you're approaching an objective from a direction in which your back is facing another point the enemy holds... then you're probably going to get attacked from both sides. If you don't understand why this is happening it's easy to feel like it's just a total free-for-all, but you have to remember that enemies are limited in where they can spawn.

Keep your ally's points to your back and face the enemy ones. Granted, some people will still stage successful flanks, but that's where knowing the maps comes into play.

Theorry

Such bs. Doing Operation. Going ham on the first map as attackers. Top of the scoreboard.
New map loads. Getting switched to the defenders. Uch. Switched right back when it was possible, You shouldnt been punished by doing good DICE.

Whales

Banned
Is it me or is DICE trying to kill Rush?
I mean Operations is quite similar and imo more fun. Even friends i know why always play Rush in BF are now only playing Operations. :p

nope, rush is still the most fun mode for me

i'm on ps4 tho, I played operations once. It was nice, but the performance was so bad... i'll give it another go once they patch that up

6z8aNJo.gif

nTdB5Dk.gif

Top Bottom