• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

web01

Just for once, it's nice to have a good reason to use shotguns in a battlefield game. FWIW the range is still pitiful compared to an actual shotgun.

I say this as someone who had more kills with the Saiga than any other gun in BF4, the struggle was real.

There are people that genuinely believe the shotgun should only kill within 5 meters.
And that anything more is *OP* But sub / machine guns being able to kill from 0 to over 100 metres is balanced... Yet they cry they died an unfair death when they where within 10 meters of shotgun user. Years of being conditioned by bad shotguns in game unfortunately.

And If you nerf shotguns too much all you do is encourage people to camp inside more and move less. Those shotgun users will become a hell of alot more annoying then.

The medium range kills people are getting are also on weakened enemies. The points appear so small on screen people barely notice. But the hits are doing less than 20 health. Can see it in plenty of videos. With all the gas and fire people are often not at full health.

I do try!

Autoloading 8 .25 Extended (Almost 1000 kills with it now, my favourite as I can fire this a lot faster than the other medic weapons whilst keeping control so is decent at close range)
Medic Bag, Syringe, M1911 and Frag Grenade

I'm gonna have a go with your loadout the next time I try medic haha

There are people that genuinely believe the shotgun should only kill within 5 meters.
And that anything more is *OP* But sub / machine guns being able to kill from 0 to over 100 metres is balanced... Yet they cry they died an unfair death when they where within 10 meters of shotgun user. Years of being conditioned by bad shotguns in game unfortunately.

And If you nerf shotguns too much all you do is encourage people to camp inside more and move less. Those shotgun users will become a hell of alot more annoying then.

The medium range kills people are getting are also on weakened enemies. The points appear so small on screen people barely notice. But the hits are doing less than 20 health. Can see it in plenty of videos. With all the gas and fire people are often not at full health.

Well said and I completely agree. The SMG kills from stupid range are far more prevalent than the shotty kills from realistic (although not in game terms apparently) range.

The current play encourages shotty users to run at the point of the attack rather than camp as you say. I fully see myself as cannon fodder and tank destroyer. If I get a couple of close range OHKO kills defending flags then so be it.

I'm gonna have a go with your loadout the next time I try medic haha

With how good you are already, and with Redders already storming it.... you two on different squads would make us unstoppable haha

The problem isn't that shotguns in general are op, it's that both the model 10 factory and hunter are way better than every other shotgun in the game. There is absolutely no reason to pick a gun other than these two if you want to play with a shotgun. A game's weapons aren't balanced properly when two of them are plain better at a wide range of scenerios than every other weapon of the type in the game.

You can say that about any weapon class in battlefield 1 (or 4...or 3) There's always 1 or 2 guns that you are probably actively hurting yourself by not choosing, shotguns are no different.

Well said and I completely agree. The SMG kills from stupid range are far more prevalent than the shotty kills from realistic (although not in game terms apparently) range.

The current play encourages shotty users to run at the point of the attack rather than camp as you say. I fully see myself as cannon fodder and tank destroyer. If I get a couple of close range OHKO kills defending flags then so be it.

With how good you are already, and with Redders already storming it.... you two on different squads would make us unstoppable haha

I'm only really good with Assault at the moment haha, the other classes I'm very much still experimenting with!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Goog game last night with Brit GAF.
I got DC'd on the second round :(

Firstly, Cheers, will add you and hopefully get some community gaming going. I am indeed in the UK.

Secondly, your PSNID is great.

Cheers mate, my ID used to be 'Touch of Poo' so I decided I needed a change when it got too embarrassing to tell people about haha.

Yeah what I'll do is accept your request later tonight and add you to our group message. Then around 10PM you'll see my message of a party being open so free yourself up around then if you want to join. The party usually fills fast.

Be good to play with another gaffer

Goog game last night with Brit GAF.
I got DC'd on the second round :(

Yeah it was a shame you got DC'd last night and it was fun to have an Argentinian in the party for the first time ever. Hopefully the connection holds up in future haha

Just for once, it's nice to have a good reason to use shotguns in a battlefield game. FWIW the range is still pitiful compared to an actual shotgun.

I say this as someone who had more kills with the Saiga than any other gun in BF4, the struggle was real.
My second most effective weapon in Battlefield 3 after the G3A3 was the DOA-12 with Buckshot. Still stand by my opinion that the Model 10 needs nerfing. Sure, the other Shotties deserve a buff, but I'm pretty sick of getting oneshotted at up to 20 or even more meters. And gee, I managed to get all those kills with the DOA by being good in close combat, using the super useful reload mechanics making it a very strong gun and smart map movement without needing to oneshot people at insane distances.

Sure there are weak guns like the other shotties, but equalizing the playing field also means bringing overperforming weapons down while buffing weaker ones until the guns are all at the same level of viability. And boy, I think no one can deny that the A10H is overperforming. And if it gets nerfed with the Hellriegel and the Automatico gets a deserved range nerf... then the game and class balance will be in a much better state

Sure, you still need to take cover and aim and a minimum of tactical understanding... but so does every other gun and every other player using other weapons. Thank god that using the A10 doesn't give you invincibilty as well. I heard exactly the same argument for USAS-12 Frag back in the day. "Of course the gun is not OP, I can still die like everyone else, you just obvsly lack the skills to do it, lol".

Last night was fun. Sucks that I had psn problems and ended up on the opposite team. But at least I got to shoot y'all in the face with my shot gun and show off my legendary skin.

Won't be on tonight but will be on for a while tomorrow, and a long session on Wednesday night. If the match is going well then I might switch to sniper and try and piggyback a rank or two.

Do you always play operations or do you play other game modes too?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah it was a shame you got DC'd last night and it was fun to have an Argentinian in the party for the first time ever. Hopefully the connection holds up in future haha

My english sucks, i have a super deep Latino accent so i didnt want to talk much lol
I'll be on tonight too. (Wasnt THAT laggy)

THEaaron

I've used the model 10 pretty much exclusively since I unlocked it. It's far from 'easy' mode.... You still need to play properly, use cover, drop shot etc...
The range is not way too high and range OHKO happens when the opponent is already injured sure.

I disagree. It is by far the easiest way to gather kills right now. And you actually can ohk enemies at ridiculous distances. Been testing it myself and it falls completely out of balance. If everyone is running around with model10 instead of other shotguns it has a reason. The balance is bad because there is no reason to pickup the other shotguns.

Spread should be increased a bit or the effective range lowered by 20% or something like that.

But I am playing on PC and the balance plays out differently because of reasons.

moai

i find that automatico is easy mode for assault. you dont even have to aim with the storm version, just spray from the hip. i gave uop on the shotgun because if you miss the first shot you are dead.

chiliboy

I disagree. It is by far the easiest way to gather kills right now. And you actually can ohk enemies at ridiculous distances. Been testing it myself and it falls completely out of balance. If everyone is running around with model10 instead of other shotguns it has a reason. The balance is bad because there is no reason to pickup the other shotguns.

Spread should be increased a bit or the effective range lowered by 20% or something like that.

But I am playing on PC and the balance plays out differently because of reasons.

Yeah I must say it is interesting that most of the "nah 10-A hunter is ok" ppl are playing on PS4.

Come play a couple of rounds on PC and see if you have the same opinion. The hipfire on Automatico Trench atm is also just silly :) We will see what Dice has cookin' in the new patches

Last night was fun. Sucks that I had psn problems and ended up on the opposite team. But at least I got to shoot y'all in the face with my shot gun and show off my legendary skin.

Won't be on tonight but will be on for a while tomorrow, and a long session on Wednesday night. If the match is going well then I might switch to sniper and try and piggyback a rank or two.

Do you always play operations or do you play other game modes too?

Sewious Duck.... the turncoat himself haha. You left the party and someone else leapt in haha

It was a good game anyway mate.

My english sucks, i have a super deep Latino accent so i didnt want to talk much lol
I'll be on tonight too. (Wasnt THAT laggy)

Hopefully we end up hooking up again then mate :)

Yeah maybe it does have something to do with PC? Wouldn't see how they would benefit from doing that but yeah all us PS4 guys seem to find it just like a useful weapon rather than an OP killing machine

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I love Medic. I'm getting pretty good at it, but I find my reflexes aren't as sharp as some other folks.

Here's the general load out I roll with:

Primary- Sweeper.
I find I'm often in pretty close quarters following my squad into cap points. My best bet to defend myself is the Sweeper. Even at midrange I am getting pretty good. I think a lot of people get used to medics always using semiautomatic rifles so they maybe aren't prepared for a fully automatic return fire. It covers a multitude of sins what with my crappy aim and slow reflexes.

Secondary- Honestly, I just go with the default.

Gadgets- As a medic I think your real go-to kit has to be the Reviving needle and the AoE heal box. I'm sure cases can be made for other options but this is my most effective kit.

Grenade- I'm quite a fan of the gas grenade. It really softens up rooms full of dudes. Usually doesn't kill them before they mask up, but it hurts, it ruins visibility, and keeps people at a distance. Area denial is key. You also get two which is great. I'd probably trade this for the incendiary grenade if you got two of those, but sadly not.

Lender

Anyone else getting dc'ed on PC or other platforms? Twice now in 5 minutes that the game threw me out of the game and told me I was offline. While my connection was perfectly fine.

Sewious Duck.... the turncoat himself haha. You left the party and someone else leapt in haha

It was a good game anyway

It was weird. I got the option to join the game available for my party and it just took me to the operations select screen instead of loading the match. IT did it twice and only showed squidge as being in the menus, not in game.

By the time I restarted and successfully got in the queue it put me on the other side.

And to be fair it was 20v15 for a bit after you rolled the first 3 stages

It was weird. I got the option to join the game available for my party and it just took me to the operations select screen instead of loading the match. IT did it twice and only showed squidge as being in the menus, not in game.

By the time I restarted and successfully got in the queue it put me on the other side.

And to be fair it was 20v15 for a bit after you rolled the first 3 stages

Yeah it's a vicious cycle. Smash the crap out of the opponent with a full squad - they leave - we smash them even harder with less people.

Also just so you know - you killed me plenty of times defending the bunker on Iron walls. You were the only person on their team actually doing it right. I figured it'd be an issue with you being on their team, knowing full well what our tactics are! haha

I love Medic. I'm getting pretty good at it, but I find my reflexes aren't as sharp as some other folks.

Here's the general load out I roll with:

Primary- Sweeper.
I find I'm often in pretty close quarters following my squad into cap points. My best bet to defend myself is the Sweeper. Even at midrange I am getting pretty good. I think a lot of people get used to medics always using semiautomatic rifles so they maybe aren't prepared for a fully automatic return fire. It covers a multitude of sins what with my crappy aim and slow reflexes.

Secondary- Honestly, I just go with the default.

Gadgets- As a medic I think your real go-to kit has to be the Reviving needle and the AoE heal box. I'm sure cases can be made for other options but this is my most effective kit.

Grenade- I'm quite a fan of the gas grenade. It really softens up rooms full of dudes. Usually doesn't kill them before they mask up, but it hurts, it ruins visibility, and keeps people at a distance. Area denial is key. You also get two which is great. I'd probably trade this for the incendiary grenade if you got two of those, but sadly not.

A smoke grenade is a medics best friend.

Yeah it's a vicious cycle. Smash the crap out of the opponent with a full squad - they leave - we smash them even harder with less people.

Also just so you know - you killed me plenty of times defending the bunker on Iron walls. You were the only person on their team actually doing it right. I figured it'd be an issue with you being on their team, knowing full well what our tactics are! haha

Yeah, attack the closest point, leave 2 behind to defend and flank the remaining point. Just a shame I had no way of communicating that with my team. Although being in a squad with 4 snipers, I'm not sure what they would have done. Wouldn'tmind doing some shorter game modes with some gaffers some time. Operations is quite a time commitment and I don't always get hours at a time to play.

terrible

Banned
The Model 10 is pretty much only close to being balanced in CQ and maybe Operations. Try that thing out in Domination where 90% of the time your encounters are within its OHK range and get back to us in regards to how fair it is lol. There's no counter to it outside of using one yourself.

I maintain that DICE should alter weapon balance on a per mode basis.

Yeah, attack the closest point, leave 2 behind to defend and flank the remaining point. Just a shame I had no way of communicating that with my team. Although being in a squad with 4 snipers, I'm not sure what they would have done. Wouldn'tmind doing some shorter game modes with some gaffers some time. Operations is quite a time commitment and I don't always get hours at a time to play.

That could actually be a good option to put forward for two reasons.

1) Sometimes the 8 man operations party fills up fast so you could do some smaller games with the 'waiting list'

2) Operations isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Personally I know myself and at least a few of the other regulars play exclusively operations so don't worry, whatever you choose you'll be able to play with people haha

Also - the tactics aren't that simple haha. Only on second map of Iron Walls. First map is - All on A. Then all on A - flank to B. Then Rush B twice. Then Rush A. Then take tunnels for the big bunker - guaranteed clean sweep haha.

The Model 10 is pretty much only close to being balanced in CQ and maybe Operations. Try that thing out in Domination where 90% of the time your encounters are within its OHK range and get back to us in regards to how fair it is lol. There's no counter to it outside of using one yourself.

I maintain that DICE should alter weapon balance on a per mode basis.

Another good point - I only play operations so can't comment how OP it may or may not be in other modes.

Why does no one in the US ever seem to party up? I'd love to play with you UK guys/girls next time you team up. PSN DoubleDeazy2

I'm a mod on the Gaf BF1 community so I'll add you later mate - Luvs_2_Squidge I am.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am pretty sure I have a 5/1 K/D because I am good with the model 10 hunter shotgun. I don't think its that OP (I average 2 or 3/1 K/D in battlefield games anyways) but I wish it was more consistent. There are times when I shoot someone square in the chest/face from five feet away and they take 10 damage, and other times where I shoot someone from 30 feet away and do 100 damage.

It takes 4 shots from mid range to kill someone with the hunter. Honestly, 30 or 40 feet single shot kills is fine for the gun and not op. Most of my ridiculous kill streaks come because people have no clue how to play battlefield games. You camp in a room with three buddies and I will come from behind and kill every last one of you.

You gotta watch your corners and make sure to not sprint around everywhere.

The most OP gun in the game is the rocket rifle. It is literally a sniper rifle given to the assault class. I have no idea why people are not crying about it. I pretty much get 3 kills every time I bust it out. Combine that with the hunter and you can imagine why my K/D is so high.

I am pretty sure I have a 5/1 K/D because of the model 10 hunter shotgun. I don't think its that OP (I average 2 or 3/1 K/D in battlefield games anyways) but I wish it was more consistent. There are times when I shoot someone square in the chest/face from five feet away and they take 10 damage, and other times where I shoot someone from 30 feet away and do 100 damage.

It takes 4 shots from mid range to kill someone with the hunter. Honestly, 30 or 40 feet single shot kills is fine for the gun and not op. Most of my ridiculous kill streaks come because people have no clue how to play battlefield games. You camp in a room with three buddies and I will come from behind and kill every last one of you.

You gotta watch your corners and make sure to not sprint around everywhere.

The most OP gun in the game is the rocket rifle. It is literally a sniper rifle given to the assault class. I have no idea why people are not crying about it. I pretty much get 3 kills every time I bust it out. Combine that with the hunter and you can imagine why my K/D is so high.

Don't suppose you are on UK and ps4??

That sounds like a rambo team mate we could use haha

Also yeah that's what I find. 3-4 long range shots kill a person. It's just about constantly moving and drop shotting etc.. and using cover effectively.

Lulu23

I doubt there will be any difference pre-patch.
Honestly I am avoiding CQ as it is today on PS4.

Same. It's really sad that I have to avoid the mode I want to play most. Had the same issue with BF4, way to much framerate drops and now with BF1 also the res is dropping to the point where I have to squint my eyes to make out the enemy team. :(

I'm hoping they've already included it on the disc or with the last patch or something and I won't have to wait until Thursday in the case my Pro gets delivered early.
lord have mercy with my soul

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Don't suppose you are on UK and ps4??

That sounds like a rambo team mate we could use haha

Also yeah that's what I find. 3-4 long range shots kill a person. It's just about constantly moving and drop shotting etc.. and using cover effectively.

LOL, i literally do that all game. Run in and either die right away, or get 5 kills and laugh my ass off. It sounds weird but I try to aim really smooth with that gun. I ignore the bullets coming my way and just attempt to center the circle on each torso that I come across. Its a weird feeling, almost like a flow, but satisfying (I generally don't twitch aim as it seems to always do no damage as the cone is actually much smaller than the circle). I rarely ADS. Unfortunately we are US (CST). :(

Last night there were people fighting around the door to C on Monte Grappa. My teammates were trying to get pot shots in after blowing it open. I said fuck it, ran in, killed 3 dudes who looked surprised as fuck (based on their inability to shoot me), ran down a fourth that was sniping out the other door, and blew up a tank low on health that was camping the tunnel. Felt like freaking Rambo for sure!

I have a friend that has a similar K/D as me but plays medic/support. When we play together, and my wife the heal/revive bot joins us, we generally can get squad of the match with just 3 people. Also, nobody revives more peeps than my wife. She is like Desmond from Hacksaw ridge. Death symbol appears and she runs straight through hell fire to get people up. LOL!

LOL, i literally do that all game. Run in and either die right away, or get 5 kills and laugh my ass off. It sounds weird but I try to aim really smooth with that gun. I ignore the bullets coming my way and just attempt to center the circle on each torso that I come across. Its a weird feeling, but satisfying. I rarely ADS. Unfortunately we are US (CST). :(

Last night there were people fighting around the door to C on Monte Grappa. My teammates were trying to get pot shots in after blowing it open. I said fuck it, ran in, killed 3 dudes who looked surprised as fuck (based on their inability to shoot me), ran down a fourth that was sniping out the other door, and blew up a tank low on health that was camping the tunnel. Felt like freaking Rambo for sure!

I have a friend that has a similar K/D as me but plays medic/support. When we play together, and my wife the heal/revive bot joins us. We generally can get squad of the match with just 3 people. Also, nobody revives more peeps than my wife. She is like Desmond from Hacksaw ridge. Death symbol appears and she runs straight through hell fire to get people up. LOL!

It sounds like US gaf has a good foundation for a party just like UK gaf.....

I know exactly what you mean though. You either spawn and get killed instantly or you go on a spree. I normally run in, kill some campers, then dynamite charge the walls so nobody can camp in the building again.

You may have your wife.... we have a nurse called Redders! haha

In the top 400 for revives out of ALL players. That's some top level bandage skills.

Edit:... get organised and I definitely smell a US vs UK match coming up

Anyone else finds it ridiculous that you need to track a medal to 'win' it?

I'm leaned more on your side but at the same time like the idea that you have to assign a specific one since it's more focused on using certain weapons, nades, and strategy to accomplish it where normally I would never try some things.

My hardest has been 10 headshots with shot gun. Haven't done it yet. Doesn't let me work on it in pigeons either or else I would have completed it.

The problem isn't that shotguns in general are op, it's that both the model 10 factory and hunter are way better than every other shotgun in the game. There is absolutely no reason to pick a gun other than these two if you want to play with a shotgun. A game's weapons aren't balanced properly when two of them are plain better at a wide range of scenerios than every other weapon of the type in the game.

Yup. I was using the 12g automatic for a bit and you can spam 3-4 shots and still not kill someone at close range, but the 10-A can erase people from medium range, hip-fired, in one shot. In close combat it makes every other option irrelevant.

Just popped in to say that of all the shooters that have come out over the past few weeks, I simply cannot pull myself away from this incredible game.

Every time I think about playing Titanfall or COD I just come back to this.

The immersion and the overall experience to me is unparalleled. DICE did a fantastic job with this one.

Is there a way to stop tracking a medal? I don't honestly care about them, and I'm sick of the sidebar telling me that I have continued to fail to blow up any vehicles even though I'm playing as a medic.

As far as medic loadouts, obviously the syringe and medic crate are necessities (unless you're just running and gunning in which case play assault). I've tried a couple different guns and my best by far is the Selbstlader m1916; roughly the same damage as the CEI Rigotti but you get 2.5 times as much ammo. And I'm still partial to the basic frag grenade; someone pops out and gets a teammate then ducks behind cover to reload, I can frag them while I revive. Works a treat to bounce them through a window into an entire squad too.

Top Bottom